ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA Session 4 Thread*** (Blood Round)

Gable loses and so does all talk of him winning 4 in a row. Man it's a shame he had his shirt pulled, needs to be stronger. Got the skills, and Cassar should have been called 3 more times at least and that's coming from a guy who wanted Cassar to win.

If he lost it he would not have beaten Massa.

Forgive me. He came back and won one, and then lost. That's not OK for the guy who ran through the regular season undefeated. My point is he needs to be better about understanding that shit happens, and when it does he needs to pull it together and get back on the hunt vice being a lesser warrior. That didn't happen last year and it didn't happen this year. Last year it was 6th and this year it's 7th or 8th. And the underlying issue, which I know we all understand too well, is that even though this is an individual sport, it's also a team sport, and when he allows himself to be mentally taken out of his game like that, he's not only hurting himself, but he's hurting the team. He needs to learn how to get past a loss and get back on the f'n horse and start hurting MFs (on the mat, not for real).

And they should have done better. That's the problem for the better part of the last 8-9 years, save for a couple of teams that just lacked the talent overall.

Kudos we're improving ("what does it all mean, Basil"), but now the pressure is really on for next year.

AgitatedCourageousDachshund-size_restricted.gif

Time to stop walking....
We have 6 AA I think.

They dont necessarily have the automatic NC coming back next year and sure fire bonus point guys. Will they still be tough? Of course, but they wont be as strong as these past 9 years
They won't be guaranteed a NC, but by the time this tournament is done, Iowa will have a > 60 point gap to close next year. That's a lot in one season.

It's up to coaches to make them execute, that's what they get paid for .
Hear this all the time about football, it's not Kirk's fault the players didn't excecute, bs it's not . He's the freaking CEO.
Someone has to win and someone has to lose, 99% of wrestlers never go undefeated. I've never heard a wrestler walk off a mat and says, my coach screwed me because I didnt shoot when I was down by 1 with a minute to go.

Gable loses and so does all talk of him winning 4 in a row. Man it's a shame he had his shirt pulled, needs to be stronger. Got the skills, and Cassar should have been called 3 more times at least and that's coming from a guy who wanted Cassar to win.
They thought they had Spencer Lee, wrong, we have him!!

Someone has to win and someone has to lose, 99% of wrestlers never go undefeated. I've never heard a wrestler walk off a mat and says, my coach screwed me because I didnt shoot when I was down by 1 with a minute to go.
No one's talking about undefeated . It's the coaches job to fix the head problem .
Would you agree some coaches are better at motivating than others, some bosses are better at motivating and managing than others?
Same game .

People are dogging Marinelli? Lay off the guy, look at his matches, 2 time AA Joe Smith, Lewis, Massa, Marstellar, guy just ran out of gas. Big ten champ, I’ll take him over Joesph any day of the week. Never seen a guy back into three finals appearances before

They won't be guaranteed a NC, but by the time this tournament is done, Iowa will have a > 60 point gap to close next year. That's a lot in one season.

That's true, but give us a qualifier at 174 (and an AA at that), it will go a long way to closing that 60 points. Take out Nolf and Nickal, who not only win championships but rack up big time bonus points, and you've got a big drop for PSU. Yeah, they'll probably gain some at 125 next year, but next year is doable if we can get guys to live up to their seeds.

Reactions: ccdiver
People are dogging Marinelli? Lay off the guy, look at his matches, 2 time AA Joe Smith, Lewis, Massa, Marstellar, guy just ran out of gas. Big ten champ, I’ll take him over Joesph any day of the week. Never seen a guy back into three finals appearances before

Cory Clark beat 4 AAs on his way to a title with 1 arm... Miss me with this bullshit.

It's up to coaches to make them execute, that's what they get paid for .
Hear this all the time about football, it's not Kirk's fault the players didn't excecute, bs it's not . He's the freaking CEO.

You can't make anybody do anything.. I believe the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink."
I'm not making excuses.. I'm just as frustrated that each guy has so much potential only to be let down. These are students first athletes 1st, then athletes. but most importantly people just like of us, full of things going through our head at all times.
We can't just drop them like a dead horse because they don't perform to "our" expectations. I believe that TnT are grooming these guys better than any other coach can in this country. That's what a the CEO means to me anyways.
Sorry got a little sappy there. Didn't intend to come across that way.
Go hawks! Finish strong! Big day tomorrow

Reactions: shobart

I agree. Who cares about NCAA championships .. I’ll take the Bull all day.

No one's talking about undefeated . It's the coaches job to fix the head problem .
Would you agree some coaches are better at motivating than others, some bosses are better at motivating and managing than others?
Same game .
Why does a D1 wrestler need to be motivated to shoot when they are down by 1 with under a minute left to score a point? Some people just want it more.

In his young career, Marinelli is a bit of a glass cannon right now.

Hopefully, in his veteran seasons, he'll figured out to score AND avoid others' offense/counters in return to make him a more complete wrestler.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
We have 5 AA. PSU has 5 finalists.

Because top to bottom PSU is better than us. By a lot and that's probably not going to change anytime soon. I remember the days of watching Iowa win championships year after year after year under Gable. Guys like the Banach brothers, Barry Davis, Lincoln McIlravy, Joe Williams. The question wasn't if we'd win the team title but by how much and how many individual champs would we have.

That's Penn State right now and probably in the near future. Can that change down the road? Sure it can, but we're just not in their league as a group right now.

From a team perspective, the Hawkeyes are right about where I expected them to be right now; I figured somewhere from 3rd to 5th was where they would finish. Overall they're wrestling at the level they should be. Marinelli was a big disappointment and Warner didn't wrestle up to potential either but some other guys have wrestled above their seed (Young, Murin, Lugo, Desanto). Stoll won two matches and I didn't even think he'd get into the tournament. Disappointing finish to the consolation round tonight for sure but overall they're right about where I thought they'd be.

If you were at the Big Ten tourney (I was) you knew Iowa would be wrestling for 3rd place at Nationals. If everybody wins tomorrow it was a solid tournament.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania -- University of Iowa sophomore Spencer Lee defeated Oklahoma State’s Nick Piccininni, 11-4, on Friday night to advance to the finals of the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championships in PPG Paints Arena.

Lee, the No. 3 seed at 125, led from start to finish against No. 2 Piccininni. He scored takedowns in the first, second, and third periods, and added two nearfall points and one minute, six seconds of riding time.

“My coaches said to keep scoring. I think that resonated in my head,” said Lee. “I got a couple more shots, and I wasn't backing up and focused on what he was doing. I was focused on my ability to score points and to continue to keep that action going.”

Lee’s finals appearance marks the 30th consecutive year Iowa has put at least one wrestler in the NCAA finals. Lee won the 125-pound title last season. He is attempting to become Iowa’s first two-time champ since Matt McDonough won the 125-pound title in 2010 and 2012. Lee will wrestle No. 5 Jack Mueller from Virginia.

“The next big thing will be tomorrow,” Lee said.

Lee was one of two Hawkeye semifinalists. Sophomore Kaleb Young, the No. 6 seed at 157, dropped a 5-3 decision to Nebraska’s No. 2 Tyler Berger. Young will wrestle in the consolation semifinals Saturday morning.

The Hawkeyes were 5-5 on the backside of the bracket Friday night, sending four more wrestlers into the medal round and guaranteeing six podium finishes, the most since 2016. Iowa has had at least five All-Americans in six straight seasons and 11 times in head coach Tom Brands’ 13 years.

Austin DeSanto won a pair of matches at 133 and will wrestle in Saturday’s consolation semifinals. Pat Lugo, Alex Marinelli, and Jacob Warner were all 1-1 in wrestle-backs. All three compete for seventh place Saturday.

Max Murin and Sam Stoll saw their tournaments end after dropping decisions in the Round of 12.

The Hawkeyes are in fourth place with 68 points heading into the final day of the tournament. Penn State leads the team race with 120.5 points. Ohio State is in second with 88.5. Oklahoma State is in third with 73.5.

The NCAA Championships continue Saturday at 11 a.m. (CT). ESPNU and WatchESPN are providing television and online coverage of the medal rounds.

SEMIFINALS RESULTS

125 - #3 Spencer Lee dec. #2 Nick Piccininni (OKST), 11-4

157 - #2 Tyler Berger (NEB) dec. #6 Kaleb Young (Iowa), 5-3

ROUND OF 12 RESULTS

133 - #7 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) major dec. #13 Austin Gomez (IAST), 16-5

141 - #16 Chad Red (NEB) dec. #22 Max Murin (Iowa), 4-1

149 - #10 Pat Lugo (Iowa) dec. #20 Tommy Thorn (MINN), 4-0

165 - #1 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) dec. #6 Logan Massa (MICH), 5-3

197 - #5 Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec. #10 Tom Sleight (VT), 6-2

285 - #10 Youssif Hemida (MARY) dec. #28 Sam Stoll (Iowa), 7-4

CONSOLATION QUARTERFINALS RESULTS

133 - #7 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) dec. #6 Ethan Lizak (MINN), 4-2

149 - #3 Mitch Finesilver (Duke) dec. #10 Pat Lugo (Iowa), 6-3

165 - #5 Chance Marstellar (Lock Haven) dec. #1 Alex Marinelli (Iowa), 9-6

197 - #16 Josh Hokit (FS) dec. #5 Jacob Warner (Iowa), 5-4

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCHUPS

125 - #3 Spencer Lee (Iowa) vs. #5 Jack Mueller (UVA)

CONSOLATION SEMIFINAL MATCHUPS

133 - #7 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) vs. #5 Luke Pletcher (OSU)

157 - #6 Kaleb Young (Iowa) vs. #4 Alec Panteleo (MICH)

SEVENTH PLACE MATCHUPS

149 - #10 Pat Lugo (Iowa) vs. #8 Jarrett Degen (IAST)

165 - #1 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. #11 Bryce Steiert (UNI)

197 - #5 Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs. #9 Benjamin Honis (Cornell)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. Penn State 120.5

2. Ohio State 88.5

3. Oklahoma St. 73.5

4. IOWA 68

5. Missouri 54

6. Cornell 52

7. Nebraska 51

8. Michigan 48

9. Minnesota 48

10. Virginia Tech 45

@Sett1997
“My coaches said to keep scoring. I think that resonated in my head,” said Lee. “I got a couple more shots, and I wasn't backing up and focused on what he was doing. I was focused on my ability to score points and to continue to keep that action going.”

So the coaches must have only told Spencer to keep scoring and not Marinilli and Warner...come on dude, its on the wrestlers not scoring when it matters most.

Reactions: shobart
You can't make anybody do anything.. I believe the old saying "you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink."
I'm not making excuses.. I'm just as frustrated that each guy has so much potential only to be let down. These are students first athletes 1st, then athletes. but most importantly people just like of us, full of things going through our head at all times.
We can't just drop them like a dead horse because they don't perform to "our" expectations. I believe that TnT are grooming these guys better than any other coach can in this country. That's what a the CEO means to me anyways.
Sorry got a little sappy there. Didn't intend to come across that way.
Go hawks! Finish strong! Big day tomorrow
It's sales man, the coach has to make them believe . I am a CEO of a small company, been in sales for 35 years.
Everything is on my shoulders, If my people don't perform it's on me. If they aren't trained correctly it's on me .
I don't pass the buck .
Cael is doing something different than the Brands brothers, would you agree?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT