ADVERTISEMENT

‘I deserve to be valued’: LGBTQ youth speak out against statehouse Republican bills

Ok then, let's cut to the chase. If you and your friends were growing up today which ones would be drawn in by the glamor of being gay and suck you off? Which ones would you suck off?

I have no idea. I would hypothesis the goth kids would be most likely to do it. They seem to have a very high desire to stand out but in a way that's rebellious to older generations but trendy. But honestly I have no clue.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
If you can believe that a kid will go gay because it's cool and to get attention than why can't you believe that a similar kid might now decide to change their gender for the exact same reasons???

Yes if it's acceptable to say it now and it's critical to their happiness. Absolutely.

And if you are to be believed being identified as the correct gender and being able to openly be with the type of person you are attracted to is critical to one's happiness and contentment. Yet you at the same time seem to indicate that a person in their 50's can be content to continue living the lie even though it's acceptable to by gay/trans now?

Which one is it. . . is it something critical to one's happiness and contentment or is not not?
As to your first point about someone changing their gender to be cool as a teenager, there is a big difference between allowing gender affirming care and actual transition to a different gender. I think most people including the medical profession don't think a child should be able to have surgical procedures to transition until they are legal age. Puberty blockers are reversible so I believe parents should be able to decide with doctors whether or not their child should take them.

As for your second question, there is a difference between being content with your situation and being truly happy. Older people have families, friends, parents, co workers, jobs, etc. that would be impacted by their decision to come out. Their whole lives would change. Some people are willing to take the risk while many probably are afraid of the consequences. Keep in mind older people have older parents who are more likely to be uncomfortable with the idea of a gay son or daughter.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I’ve been arguing this entire thread that I don’t believe kids are going gay because it’s cool. Might they experiment with the label for a bit? Maybe a few will, but kids are absolutely not going gay because it’s cool. That’s absurd.

And you don't think they are transitioning either?

Remember that someone can now identify as any one of like 72 different genders now.

For example did you know Miley Cyrus is neither straight nor a woman. She is pansexual and gender fluid. She apparently dated a woman for like a month. Other than that she's only been with men as far as I can tell.

But remember she's not a woman or straight.

Last edited:
As to your first point about someone changing their gender to be cool as a teenager, there is a big difference between allowing gender affirming care and actual transition to a different gender. I think most people including the medical profession don't think a child should be able to have surgical procedures to transition until they are legal age. Puberty blockers are reversible so I believe parents should be able to decide with doctors whether or not their child should take them.

As for your second question, there is a difference between being content with your situation and being truly happy. Older people have families, friends, parents, co workers, jobs, etc. that would be impacted by their decision to come out. Their whole lives would change. Some people are willing to take the risk while many probably are afraid of the consequences. Keep in mind older people have older parents who are more likely to be uncomfortable with the idea of a gay son or daughter.

Boomer's parents are mostly dead now. Why arn't they coming out?

I mean my dad had a brother and 4 sisters who survived til adulthood (one sister died in infancy). Their parents are dead. I should expect statistically since there are 6 of them including my dad one of them should be coming out as LGBTQ soon.

Remember that someone can now identify as any one of like 72 different genders now.

For example did you know Miley Cyrus is either straight nor a woman. She is pansexual and gender fluid. She apparently dated a woman for like a month. Other than that she's only been with men as far as I can tell.

So?

I have no idea. I would hypothesis the goth kids would be most likely to do it. They seem to have a very high desire to stand out but in a way that's rebellious to older generations but trendy. But honestly I have no clue.
Of course, other kids. Not you. Not your friends. But those you find to be "other" already. Band kids. Theater kids. Nerds.
Not cool people like you and your friends.

For example did you know Miley Cyrus is neither straight nor a woman. She is pansexual and gender fluid. She apparently dated a woman for like a month. Other than that she's only been with men as far as I can tell.

Right, kids are willing to undergo all the medical crap involved, deal with their parents, teachers, Neanderthals like you, change their very bodies....because it's the current trend.

Right, kids are willing to undergo all the medical crap involved, deal with their parents, teachers, Neanderthals like you, change their very bodies....because it's the current trend.

They can't change their bodies. You have said so yourself.

Boomer's parents are mostly dead now. Why arn't they coming out?

I mean my dad had a brother and 4 sisters who survived til adulthood (one sister died in infancy). Their parents are dead. I should expect statistically since there are 6 of them including my dad one of them should be coming out as LGBTQ soon.
Some do come out. Here's a list of celebrities that came out later in life.

Reactions: BelemNole

Trying on a label is not transitioning. Only a very, very, very small percent are taking meds or having surgeries that reverse anything.

I would imagine like any medical procedure, there is a small percentage that regret the decision after (some numbers have been posted in this thread, but I have no idea how valid they might be), but this isn’t getting a wild haircut. I am willing to say that I believe zero percent (or virtually zero) are actually medically/surgically transitioning “because it’s cool”.

Even puberty blockers (which can be reversed) would not be something someone does because it’s cool. Those aren’t without side effects, either. We have a friend with a daughter on them for medical reasons that have nothing to do with gender identity and it’s not been a pleasant process for her. Nobody would go through that to be “cool”.

There is a difference between making people aware of it and making it trendy. It's been made trendy.

I was aware of homosexuality in high school and college. I knew some homosexual people in college. This was not hidden.

It didn't lead to 1 out of 6 people my age becoming gay.
I say this with all respect, but if you thinking being trans is a trend then you need to sit these discussions out.

I say this with all respect, but if you thinking being trans is a trend then you need to sit these discussions out.

Not amount people my age but it is with certain younger groups.

How do you explain people who look, act and dress cisgender but proclaim themselves to be gender fluid or one of the 72 different genders they made up?

Not amount people my age but it is with certain younger groups.

How do you explain people who look, act and dress cisgender but proclaim themselves to be gender fluid or one of the 72 different genders they made up?
How do you explain how that concept, if true, is worthy of getting so much attention that it becomes part of politicians’ platforms and that it becomes something to try to legislate?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Trying on a label is not transitioning. Only a very, very, very small percent are taking meds or having surgeries that reverse anything.

I would imagine like any medical procedure, there is a small percentage that regret the decision after (some numbers have been posted in this thread, but I have no idea how valid they might be), but this isn’t getting a wild haircut. I am willing to say that I believe zero percent (or virtually zero) are actually medically/surgically transitioning “because it’s cool”.

Even puberty blockers (which can be reversed) would not be something someone does because it’s cool. Those aren’t without side effects, either. We have a friend with a daughter on them for medical reasons that have nothing to do with gender identity and it’s not been a pleasant process for her. Nobody would go through that to be “cool”.

I think only a small percentage at least thus far would go that far. But a lot try on the label for attention.

I don't think it should be given to kids to prevent some over zealous parents from pumping their kids full of hormones because they desperately want a trans kid for their own attention.

• Haha
Miley Cyrus was just a wallflower before coming out. :rolleyes:

It got her more love with certain groups. Despite the fact that she had save for one month of "dating" a woman lived her life exactly like a straight cisgendered woman.

Now she is a brave queer pansexual gender fluid person who is unashamedly "living her truth"

• Haha
How do you explain how that concept, if true, is worthy of getting so much attention that it becomes part of politicians’ platforms and that it becomes something to try to legislate?

Do I think the issue gets too much attention yes.

Do I think that means that we should just let the social left make all of society's rules in this regard? No

• Haha
It got her more love with certain groups. Despite the fact that she had save for one month of "dating" a woman lived her life exactly like a straight cisgendered woman.

Now she is a brave queer pansexual gender fluid person who is unashamedly "living her truth"
She might have gotten more love from some groups, but she also is receiving disgust from others like you. I'm pretty sure the person who sang and starred in the Wrecking Ball video was getting plenty of love from the LGBTQ community before declaring herself pansexual and gender fluid. Regardless I fail to see how that effects anyone's life other than Miley.

I think this is a pretty complicated issue. I'm not convinced sending these kids down the path of puberty blockers, hormone treatments and ultimately irreversible surgeries is "helping" them. I'm more in the "wait and see" camp with young kids...

I also don't want to see these kids vilified....more complicated than either camp treats the issue IMO.
Nobody is sending anyone down a path. There is science involved. Your wait and see approach delays care and treatment. As well mentioned in this thread, nobody walks into a doctors office and receives gender affirming care, including surgery, that day.

Let people live their lives however they see fit.

I don’t agree with letting kids transition, but I’m not a parent and it’s not up to me.

Can we stop with all the different pronouns though?

Male
Female
Transgender Woman
Transgender Man

Or just
Male
Female

Thanks for coming to my talk.

You know what I don't like about the gays? Ya'll think you are special. So ya got harassed or maybe got your ass beat. That's part of childhood. Suck it up buttercup.

You know what I don't like about the gays? Ya'll think you are special. So ya got harassed or maybe got your ass beat. That's part of childhood. Suck it up buttercup.
just-trolling.gif

Nobody is sending anyone down a path. There is science involved. Your wait and see approach delays care and treatment.
Disagree. I don’t think there’s much science involved. I also think there’s no rush to send a 10 year old down this path.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT