ADVERTISEMENT

“There are not going to be any American Forces moving into Ukraine”

I wouldn't make that promise.

Big picture part of me wonders if it wouldn't just be a better idea to put a quarter of a million troops & equipment into Ukraine and move a couple of carrier battle groups into the black sea.

Putin likes to play chicken and we're constantly the ones that blink. His demands to "back down" are untenable and amount to making Ukraine a puppet of Putin. Even then he isn't really backing down as he will continue to maintain his illegal occupation of Crimea.

I wouldn't make that promise.

Big picture part of me wonders if it wouldn't just be a better idea to put a quarter of a million troops & equipment into Ukraine and move a couple of carrier battle groups into the black sea.

Putin likes to play chicken and we're constantly the ones that blink. His demands to "back down" are untenable and amount to making Ukraine a puppet of Putin. Even then he isn't really backing down as he will continue to maintain his illegal occupation of Crimea.
I see the logic, but are we confident we won't end up donating all that equipment to Russia as we leave the Ukraine under Biden?

It's a fair question at this point.

I see the logic, but are we confident we won't end up donating all that equipment to Russia as we leave the Ukraine under Biden?

People act like we left tons of American equipment behind. That's not the case. What happened is years ago we gave a bunch of equipment to the Afghan army to fight with.

That army lost and thus their equipment (it was not American equipment anymore, it belonged to the Afghans) was captured.

That isn't on Biden. Biden didn't give that equipment away nor did Biden make the Afghan army lose. Attempting to recover it would have ment shedding blood for it and you likely still would have missed a lot of it because of how quick the takeover was.

We go into Ukraine with our soldiers manning our equipment. Don't give it to Ukraine. Our military will not leave functional equipment behind to the enemy. The Ukrainians might. . . especially if no one is there to help them. All the equipment in the world can't change the fact that the Ukrainians are heavily outnumbered.

People act like we left tons of American equipment behind. That's not the case. What happened is years ago we gave a bunch of equipment to the Afghan army to fight with.

That army lost and thus their equipment (it was not American equipment anymore, it belonged to the Afghans) was captured.

That isn't on Biden. Biden didn't give that equipment away nor did Biden make the Afghan army lose. Attempting to recover it would have ment shedding blood for it and you likely still would have missed a lot of it because of how quick the takeover was.

We go into Ukraine with our soldiers manning our equipment. Don't give it to Ukraine. Our military will not leave functional equipment behind to the enemy. The Ukrainians might. . . especially if no one is there to help them. All the equipment in the world can't change the fact that the Ukrainians are heavily outnumbered.
Assuming almost all of that is true, it's still on Biden and it happened on his watch. Without a hasty pullout, not near as much of that equipment, regardless of the nationality of the guy in the driver's seat, falls into terrorist hands.

The other angle to going in. If we go in, does China stay out? Does China take the opportunity to go into Taiwan and fully take the south China sea? I think it's a powder keg.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

What fully functioning equipment did Biden leave behind? Are the Taliban flying our planes today?

Assuming almost all of that is true, it's still on Biden and it happened on his watch. Without a hasty pullout, not near as much of that equipment, regardless of the nationality of the guy in the driver's seat, falls into terrorist hands.

The other angle to going in. If we go in, does China stay out? Does China take the opportunity to go into Taiwan and fully take the south China sea? I think it's a powder keg.

How it is on Biden. If you want to pin it on Biden you have to look at the realistic choices he had and decide what he should have done better.

His choice at this point was to recover the equipment via force (which would involve blood shed by American troops and would be unlikely to recover all of it.) or leave it.

Everyone hates how Afghanistan went but no one seems to have a better idea of what Biden should have done.

From what I understand, a lot of that equipment is due to be replaced by newer designs anyway. Most notably the humvee is getting replaced.

How it is on Biden. If you want to pin it on Biden you have to look at the realistic choices he had and decide what he should have done better.

His choice at this point was to recover the equipment via force (which would involve blood shed by American troops and would be unlikely to recover all of it.) or leave it.

Everyone hates how Afghanistan went but no one seems to have a better idea of what Biden should have done.
Water under the bridge at this point but he stupidly ignored the Trump admins plan for withdrawal to get the political "win" that comes with 'Trump left me nothing! This is the best we can do!' A slower drawdown that got the civilians out before the troops would have given Afghans the opportunity to hang on to the equipment or pass it to allies.

Doesn't matter at this point. It's a Biden black eye in the minds of independent voters (the only voters who matter).

• Haha

Sure wish that Trump guy hadn't signed an agreement with the Taliban. You told the Taliban they could essentially take over. Why are you signing anything with the Taliban. Trump set this up to fail, but go ahead and blame Biden. Had Trump not done something so stupidly, and we could have done it on our timeline gradually, they may not have collapsed or collapsed as quickly as it did.

Reactions: franklinman
Water under the bridge at this point but he stupidly ignored the Trump admins plan for withdrawal to get the political "win" that comes with 'Trump left me nothing! This is the best we can do!' A slower drawdown that got the civilians out before the troops would have given Afghans the opportunity to hang on to the equipment or pass it to allies.

Doesn't matter at this point. It's a Biden black eye in the minds of independent voters (the only voters who matter).
He did slow it down and civilians had every opportunity, and warning, to get out. This is revisionism.

Ux0Rusx.jpeg

Sure wish that Trump guy hadn't signed an agreement with the Taliban. You told the Taliban they could essentially take over. Why are you signing anything with the Taliban. Trump set this up to fail, but go ahead and blame Biden. Had Trump not done something so stupidly, and we could have done it on our timeline gradually, they may not have collapsed or collapsed as quickly as it did.
You are the leader of the free world making a deal with terrorists. If you want to back out and tell them to **** themselves at any given moment you can. It's not like the world is going to be pissed at you for bad business with terrorists..

You are the leader of the free world making a deal with terrorists. If you want to back out and tell them to **** themselves at any given moment you can. It's not like the world is going to be pissed at you for bad business with terrorists..
The problem is, getting out was still the prerogative, you get out with the shitty plan, or you get out and possibly have screwed up things even worse. He went with the shitty plan that had already been agreed to and you are upset about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT