ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Softball

They are looking much better then Loopers past teams. Conf starting now so we shall see if its going to maintain. Hoping none of the injury are to bad and NOT to Doocy. She being healthy is Iowa's only chance. Looking forward to going to a couple games.

Conference play will be interesting. Tough schedule if you ask me. Play all the top B1G teams minus OSU. Not very balanced.

Looks like several of the players we were worried about are back today. Doocy pitching, Wood in CF, Schmiederer back catching, Thompson again playing 2B. Still no Rozier unfortunately, and guessing Cantu may have been DP if available, although a quick check of the stats shows today's DP Libby batting .333 and slugging .524. Maybe she's hit her way into the lineup. As Crankermo pointed out, depth is better than it's been. A lot of our W's have been with Ibarra, Cantu and Monteer filling in.

Staff era is at 1.70, that might be the lowest of the Looper era, and not bad by Blevins standards.

Well the carriage turned back into a pumpkin today. Doocy touched for 4 runs on 10 hits in game 1. Five errors for the two games combined. Weekend weather not sounding good at this point, maybe won't have to play all 3.

Was at the first game today. Defense was atrocious. Three straight first and third situations and no play was made!

Was at the first game today. Defense was atrocious. Three straight first and third situations and no play was made!
Fielding had been OK, but we're back our familiar bottom of the B1G in fielding - http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-softbl/soft-team.html. We're just conceding 2nd base when there are runners on the corners, like they do in high school. Apparently Schmeiderer wasn't aware of the strategy when she threw to an empty 2nd base.

Just some really poor effort unfortunately...senior outfielders seeming to trot to catchable balls.

But it all comes down to hitting. And scoring one and two runs (AGAINST SOUTH DAKOTA ST!) is not going to cut it no matter the defense/pitching.

Fielding had been OK, but we're back our familiar bottom of the B1G in fielding - http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-softbl/soft-team.html. We're just conceding 2nd base when there are runners on the corners, like they do in high school. Apparently Schmeiderer wasn't aware of the strategy when she threw to an empty 2nd base.

Just some really poor effort unfortunately...senior outfielders seeming to trot to catchable balls.

But it all comes down to hitting. And scoring one and two runs (AGAINST SOUTH DAKOTA ST!) is not going to cut it no matter the defense/pitching.

that’s my point, good high school teams don’t concede the base.

South Dakota State had 6 Iowa women on their roster.
Yeah and adding two more next year. No talent in Iowa though... per looper. I suppose this year will be ups and downs. Beat ranked teams and get swept by SDSU. Hate to see what Michigan is gonna do.

Reactions: SPGroth
255onyt.gif

Hawks drop game 1 4-1. Doocy went the distance and is starting game 2. Ibarra back to 2B with Thompson as DB. Leaves Libby's bat on the bench unless as PH.

Nice to get the win in game two today...makes those losses to SDSU sting. Some very questionable calls near the end of the game (Bogar at first called out, Michigan had a runner at second who looked out, two ball fours that looked like strike 3) but they pushed through.

Hawks need to find a way to win all of the "winnable games" ie. Green Bay, Purdue, Western Illinois, and then finish a little above .500 in the remaining games and post season could be a possibility.

Go Hawks

Reactions: beahawk and Drmac22
Hawks drop game 1 4-1. Doocy went the distance and is starting game 2. Ibarra back to 2B with Thompson as DB. Leaves Libby's bat on the bench unless as PH.
Maybe you save Libby in case Schemiderer gets hurt and you need a catcher?? I don't know.
On a team that needs all the offense it can get, I don't know how Ibarra and Chambers make it into the lineup. Maybe they hit better in practice and Looper hopes they start coming through in games. Maybe they work harder in practice? Thompson at 2nd and Libby/Cantu/Rozier at DP seems to make more sense.

Whoo Whee! Nail-biter in the 2nd! No, the umps did not help our cause!!

Reactions: Wadukester
Nice to get the win in game two today...makes those losses to SDSU sting. Some very questionable calls near the end of the game (Bogar at first called out, Michigan had a runner at second who looked out, two ball fours that looked like strike 3) but they pushed through.

Hawks need to find a way to win all of the "winnable games" ie. Green Bay, Purdue, Western Illinois, and then finish a little above .500 in the remaining games and post season could be a possibility.

Go Hawks

Good win in the 2nd game.

Bogar was safe at first. Iowa runner (Schneider?) called out at 3rd was safe. Missed tag. Michigan runner at 2nd was too close to call from the stands.

At least one of the ball 4s was outside. Other I couldn't see. Neither pitcher nor catcher looked too upset by the calls.

Schneider shot to right field might be the hardest hit ball I've seen hit by a Hawkeye. If the wind wasn't blowing in, it may have flown the garage.

The 2 hardest hit balls were by players from UNI. In BP, one hit it over the scoreboard and another in a game line shot it 3/4s of the way up.

Good win in the 2nd game.

Bogar was safe at first. Iowa runner (Schneider?) called out at 3rd was safe. Missed tag. Michigan runner at 2nd was too close to call from the stands.

At least one of the ball 4s was outside. Other I couldn't see. Neither pitcher nor catcher looked too upset by the calls.

Schneider shot to right field might be the hardest hit ball I've seen hit by a Hawkeye. If the wind wasn't blowing in, it may have flown the garage.

The 2 hardest hit balls were by players from UNI. In BP, one hit it over the scoreboard and another in a game line shot it 3/4s of the way up.

One of the ball fours Doocy was ready to run off the field, so she thought it was strike 3. On the replay it looked like it was at the knees of the Michigan player, but the gal doing the color said the ump hadn't called that a strike all game.

So far this weeks games are on, listed as Events on the SB Facebook page. Still showing on the website schedule as well. Nothing on Twitter yet. Between the weekend snow and last night's rain I can't imagine how the field could possibly be playable, but I guess we'll see. The grounds crew should be up for some kind of award if they do get the games in.

The newest RPI has been updated. After going 1-3 last week we dropped to #47. Iowa needs to sweep GB today and take the series from Maryland.

Go Hawks

Hawks sweep Green Bay. Decent outing in game 1 but game 2 was dismal. 3-2 win with three unearned runs against a pitcher with a 6+ ERA going into the game. Needed to bring in Doocy in game 2. Would have been nice to rest her verses a good Drake team, but wins are wins.

Go Hawks

Four or five comically terrible running errors. It looked like most or all could be blamed on the base coaching.

Hey wins are wins. I will take them. Young teams make mistakes. and a team that has had a past of losing more then winning makes mistakes. I am encouraged to see the improvement.. Looks like they could be middle of the pack. which is huge compared to doormat the last few years.

Reactions: LinusPF
Hey wins are wins. I will take them. Young teams make mistakes. and a team that has had a past of losing more then winning makes mistakes. I am encouraged to see the improvement.. Looks like they could be middle of the pack. which is huge compared to doormat the last few years.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. :) We start five seniors and one junior. (One Freshman and one Soph).

Sophomore SS from Valley would be starting here.

Freshman CF from Winterset is a better hitter than all but a few Hawks. Don't ask me who because I was being charitable.

I would rather have the freshman 3B from Mt. Vernon than what we have playing. She is smooth and solid in the field. Better athlete. Hits the ball much harder than anyone we have except maybe Kilian.

The ball sounds differently coming off other team's bats.

Drake would beat Iowa 7 of 10 times this year.

I don't think there is a question which was the better coached team.

Reactions: Drmac22
Sophomore SS from Valley would be starting here.

Freshman CF from Winterset is a better hitter than all but a few Hawks. Don't ask me who because I was being charitable.

I would rather have the freshman 3B from Mt. Vernon than what we have playing. She is smooth and solid in the field. Better athlete. Hits the ball much harder than anyone we have except maybe Kilian.

The ball sounds differently coming off other team's bats.

Drake would beat Iowa 7 of 10 times this year.

I don't think there is a question which was the better coached team.
Correct. Drake has three freshman that could play for the Hawks. Not sure why Iowa couldn’t land any of those girls. Freshman from Winterset would start for Iowa now and I know for a fact Iowa didn’t recruit her.

Doocy is having a heckuva season so far! Is it possible to get B1G pitcher of the week if your team gets swept?

Last edited:
Hard to see them getting in all games this weekend with highs in the 30s and snow on Friday and Sunday. Season 2/3 over and games still getting colded/snowed out...Ahhh..college softball in the Midwest.

Hard to see them getting in all games this weekend with highs in the 30s and snow on Friday and Sunday. Season 2/3 over and games still getting colded/snowed out...Ahhh..college softball in the Midwest.
But we need to have the NCAA softball/baseball season start in February...........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT