ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 Expectations

It’s so hard to say at this point. We have a nice core coming back but the players replacing Cook, Moss, and Baer are unknowns. What can we reasonably expect from CJF, JT, Nunge, and Pemsl? Also, are we going to nab a transfer who is immediately eligible to plug a hole?

I’m hoping for an upper division finish in the B1G, tournament bid, and at least 1 win but wouldn’t be shocked to see a dip to a lesser tourney like the NIT. Kind of a wishy washy answer but there’s so many questions, at least in my mind, to really give a definitive response.

It’s so hard to say at this point. We have a nice core coming back but the players replacing Cook, Moss, and Baer are unknowns. What can we reasonably expect from CJF, JT, Nunge, and Pemsl? Also, are we going to nab a transfer who is immediately eligible to plug a hole?

I’m hoping for an upper division finish in the B1G, tournament bid, and at least 1 win but wouldn’t be shocked to see a dip to a lesser tourney like the NIT. Kind of a wishy washy answer but there’s so many questions, at least in my mind, to really give a definitive response.
I hear your questions. Perhaps the better way to look at it is how do we need the new guys to excel.

CJ: need him to be a reliable 3pt shooter and decent ball handler

JoeT: need him to handle well at PG. That would keep him on the court long enough to do something defensively.

Nunge: need him to rebound, play D, and be a 3pt threat

Pemsl: Be a spark and show me something better on D than he has.

Cook's a stud, he's a tremendous loss. That said I feel like we can make up for his numbers, his production. Maybe reduce turnovers and improve the defense so we could be okay there. I feel decent about our ability to make up for Cook's production and maybe even improve some. Moss on the other hand.......I'm not as sure that we have the depth at that position to make up for his production or the intangibles that he brings? Maybe we do...maybe not...

As indicated by TheTruthTheWholeTruth "it's so hard at this point" and it really is....could we be better than this year? Yes we could.....the core of the team will be another year more experienced, another year of weight training stronger, and another year of understanding the system and the conference opponents. Could we lose ground...it's possible.

My best guess is that we are slightly improved...but it's just a guess.

Cook was an unbelievable physical specimen and was our best player at creating his own shot. With that said, he seemed to be trying to push his game well beyond his "swim lane" which led to turnovers, offensive fouls, forced shots, etc.

I would say we are "under indexed" at the moment for positions 1-2-3 from a starter quality standpoint, really driven by void at 2G. It is shaping up to be a pretty good committee. One of Connor/CJF/Toussant needs to truly break out for us to have a great season.

JoBo obviously brings a lot to the table but is more of a hybrid guard, with defensive challenges, but a key piece/lots of minutes
Weiskamp - Really strong freshman year, i expect continued improvement, though more of a 3 (I just have not seen the quickness/handles to play the deuce, happy to be proven wrong on this one)
Connor - Solid backup PG, needs to add any sort of shooting consistency
CJF - Really like his reel and potential, must add muscle and be another lights out shooter, ideally creating his own shot a plus
Toussant - Will be limited minutes opportunity but love his profile, really fills a void as we need strength, quickness, passing, defense

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Wait and see til.we know what the New guys bring.
If we had returned everyone,I would have expected dancing again in March.
Football and BB are similar
Good season's followed by unexpected personnel losses, facing tough schedules, uncertainty reigns.

Reactions: perryhawk
If you’re relying on freshman, nine times out of ten you’re going to be disappointed.

A ten seed losing Cook and Moss? My magic eight ball says “outlook cloudy.”

Can someone tell me what “upper division” finish means? What is the devisor in this “division”? 2? 3? 7? If 2, why not just say upper half?

Such a nitwit, meaningless term.

Last edited:
If you’re relying on freshman, nine times out of ten you’re going to be disappointed.

Can someone tell me what “upper division” finish means? What is the devisor in this “division”? 2? 3? 7? If 2, why not just say upper half?

Such a nit wit, meaningless term.

I’m sorry. I hope Iowa finishes in the uPpEr hALf of the B1G this year. That would put Iowa smack dab on the bubble of the B1G if the conference is strong once again.

Without any grad transfers, Iowa will finish in the lower 1/2 of the Big 10 and will be under .500 in the preseason with the tough schedule they have this year. Their record will likely be worse than 2 years ago, imo, and might not make even the NIT. The loss of both Cook and Moss was too much to have a decent record given the schedule they will be facing.

Without any grad transfers, Iowa will finish in the lower 1/2 of the Big 10 and will be under .500 in the preseason with the tough schedule they have this year. Their record will likely be worse than 2 years ago, imo, and might not make even the NIT. The loss of both Cook and Moss was too much to have a decent record given the schedule they will be facing.

Let me get this straight. Iowa’s record will likely be worse than two years ago (14-19) and might not even make the NIT. A 14-19 record might not make the NIT? Ya think?

Not sure how Iowa will be relying on freshmen?

Iowa will be one of the most experienced teams in the country.

This is a ridiculous post. IA lost 3 of their top 6 - true; but 2 of those had many gaps in their games that suggest the impact isn’t as great as losing 50% of their top 6 would seemingly indicate.

Almost every team loses valuable team members every year.

IA has added 5 very solid players this year that didn’t play last year + 1 more year of experience to fill those losses.

Last edited:
I think that CJ Fred will be better than Moss and that Nunge and Pemsl will make up for the loss of Cook. JBo, our guy Weezy, the tough-as-nails lunch pail man Garza will all have huge seasons.

I expect to be BIG Champs and on the cusp of or in the Final Four. Super bullish on Pat Mac too. Other fans will scoff at this but I'm certain that the players are thinking like me.

I think that CJ Fred will be better than Moss and that Nunge and Pemsl will make up for the loss of Cook. JBo, our guy Weezy, the tough-as-nails lunch pail man Garza will all have huge seasons.

I expect to be BIG Champs and on the cusp of or in the Final Four. Super bullish on Pat Mac too. Other fans will scoff at this but I'm certain that the players are thinking like me.
Disregard vebeach; anything he posts positive about the Iowa BB program will be the first

Think of it this way: Iowa effectively gains 3 transfer-like players, 2 of which have been on the team for over a year and the other who just sat out a year getting stronger and learning the offenses and defenses. And they have 2 freshmen coming in, both of whom fill important needs, both ranked a 4-star by at least one ranking.

Last year Iowa had one less player in the rotation (9) and fared pretty well. And keep in mind that Luka wasn't really himself until the B1G, so that 11-0 pre-season record was with him not at full speed. I think a successful season this year is possible as much as it was last year as long as Iowa doesn't suffer a rash of injuries.

I think Nunge will be the key. I have heard some glowing reports on his improvement during practices. He has bulked-up and now he has to show much more aggressiveness in the paint and hopefully improved his three point %.

A lot of the Fran haters will be disappointed.

Cook had a pathetic WS/40 of .071 in conference play. Moss was even worse at .055.

The only regular player they beat was Connor.

For comparison, Wieskamp was .128 and Garza .133. The average Big 10 starter is around .100 so Cook and Moss were below replacement rates.

Both of them were turnover machines and highly inconsistent. Iowa came back and beat Cincinnati with Cook being a liability.

Iowa will likely be better next year with a deeper front court. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nunge have far better metrics than Cook, and actually make shots beyond 3 feet.

Garza will likely be improved without Cook jamming up the post as he was vs PSU.

Weiskamp will be more of a go to scorer. His biggest problem this year was passivity. He shot the ball at a great 50%. He shot far fewer times than Moss and still averaged more points.

And Iowa will not be relying on freshman. They have a very veteran team. At most they start 1 freshman, similar to this year. Whoever said this above is a fruitcake.

Last edited:
I think Nunge will be the key. I have heard some glowing reports on his improvement during practices. He has bulked-up and now he has to show much more aggressiveness in the paint and hopefully improved his three point %.
Could be a Mike Daum type olayer

Cook had a pathetic WS/40 of .071 in conference play. Moss was even worse at .055.

For comparison, Wieskamp was .128 and Garza .133. The average Big 10 starter is around .100 so Cook and Moss were below replacement rates.

Both of them were turnover machines and highly inconsistent. Iowa came back and beat Cincinnati with Cook being a liability.

Iowa will likely be better next year with a deeper front court. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nunge have far better metrics than Cook, and actually make shots beyond 3 feet.

Garza will likely be improved without Cook jamming up the post as he was vs PSU.

Weiskamp will be more of a go to scorer. His biggest problem this year was passivity. He shot the ball at a great 50%. He shot far fewer times than Moss and still averaged more points.

And Iowa will not be relying on freshman. They have a very veteran team. At most they start 1 freshman, similar to this year. Whoever said this above is a fruitcake.

Great info, thanks for sharing. At least some of us aren't waving the white flag before the first whistle. This team is gonna be great and a lot of fun to watch IMO.

Great post. This completely.

People projecting bottom of conference finishes and not even making NIT are going to be extremely disappointed. Oddly, it’s the same people saying that anyone not disappointed in Moss leaving are bad fans.

Not sure how Iowa will be relying on freshmen?

Iowa will be one of the most experienced teams in the country.

moss and cook sucked and jbo is a point guard....

Nobody is counting on Frederick and toussant to contribute. If they took the year off, we’d be just fine.

Got it.

Oh wait. I forgot about four star top 100 guard Connor McCaffery. If he’s not first team all Big Ten and consensus all American, then the coaches and press are cheating mother ****ers.

Last edited:

Seems reasonable.

You are going to love eating those words...

Which eight Big Ten teams will Iowa finish ahead of?

1. Northwestern
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers (maybe)
4. Illinois (maybe)
5. Indiana

.... I’m listening.

Last edited:

You are like the only person who has some issue with this. Finishing in the top half of the big ten consistently is not some passing achievement. It’s actually pretty tough

1. Northwestern
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers (maybe)
4. Illinois (maybe)
5. Indiana

.... I’m listening.

Minnesota: loses arguably their best player, Murphy.

Wisconsin: loses their best player, Happ.

Penn State: loses their best defender in Reaves and Bolton transferred. Possibly losing Stevens.

Purdue: loses their two top scorers.

If you think Cook and Moss were bigger factors then what these teams lost, then I want what you're smoking.

Penn State: loses their best defender in Reaves and Bolton transferred. Possibly losing Stevens.

If you think Cook and Moss were bigger factors then what these teams lost, then I want what you're smoking.

Iowa will finish ahead of:

Nebraska
Northwestern
Rutgers
Penn state
Minnesota
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue and
Wisconsin

Ok. Fifth place or better is duly noted for the record.

Unless you’d like to name any other teams?

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Maryland?

A ten seed that loses three upperclass contributors and replaces them with ....?...freshman is going to be better than last year. And anyone who doubts it is a fruitcake smoking something.

Again... seems reasonable.

I expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board when the press comes out with their preseason predictions and it turns out that all of them are drug smoking fruitcakes.

Last edited:

Agree on Minnesota and Penn St. You never know with Purdue and Wisconsin because they have history of putting together quality teams. But yeah that’s already 7 teams right there and wouldn’t surprise me if higher.

What Raptors and a few others won’t recognize is that even though Iowa lost 3 contributors (like most teams do every year), they had two redshirts who have Big Ten experience and were already rotational players coming back on top of three Freshman. That’s on top of an already veteran and experienced NCAA tourney team with a developing star (Wieskamp), one of the best low post players in conference coming back (Garza), and arguably the most clutch player in the conference (Bohannon).

Iowa will finish ahead of:

Nebraska
Northwestern
Rutgers
Penn state
Minnesota
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue and
Wisconsin

Ok. Fifth place or better is duly noted for the record.

Unless you’d like to name any other teams?

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Maryland?

A ten seed that loses three upperclass contributors and replaces them with ....?...freshman is going to be better than last year. And anyone who doubts it is a fruitcake smoking something.

Again... seems reasonable.

I expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board when the press comes out with their preseason predictions and it turns out that all of them are drug smoking fruitcakes.
Why are you the way you are?

1. Northwestern
2. Nebraska
3. Rutgers (maybe)
4. Illinois (maybe)
5. Indiana

.... I’m listening.
Wasn't my assertion. I don't think it is wise to make that type of absolute statement about Iowa since they usually finish above expectations, which are still pretty decent even with losing who they lost.

Given that you're Mr. Negative, who do you think Iowa will finish behind?

:)

With losing Cook and Moss, what do we expect now this upcoming season?
giphy.gif

We will be a great shooting team with very limited athletic ability and defense. Cant see us being any better than .500 in league and our stupid Fran cycle will continue.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT