ADVERTISEMENT

2019/2020 is the year

I'd love to hear your definition of making noise. Because I don't consider not winning a BIG Tournament game in 8 years, not finishing above 3rd in the conference regular season and never getting to the 2nd weekend of NCAA Tournament "making noise"
Making the tournament and winning a game is making "some" noise. Maybe not "a lot", but "some".

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I agree. He won't even get close to being a savior. He will make an impact on the offensive side of the floor as early as next year IMO, but if the defense doesn't improve drastically, we won't be going anywhere anytime soon. And that starts with Fran. And THAT is why people want him fired
Spot on.

I'd love to hear your definition of making noise. Because I don't consider not winning a BIG Tournament game in 8 years, not finishing above 3rd in the conference regular season and never getting to the 2nd weekend of NCAA Tournament "making noise"
5 years since our last Big Ten tourney win. 2013 was 5 years ago (or I suppose 6 "seasons")..........

Fran has defeated lowly Illinois (2012) and lowly Northwestern (2013) for his Big Ten tourney wins.

Yaaaay.....

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Making the tournament and winning a game is making "some" noise. Maybe not "a lot", but "some".
Okay, I respect that opinion
Thank you
5 years since our last Big Ten tourney win. 2013 was 5 years ago (or I suppose 6 "seasons")..........

Fran has defeated lowly Illinois (2012) and lowly Northwestern (2013) for his Big Ten tourney wins.

Yaaaay.....
Oh ya, that's right. I had forgotten that we even won one during his WHOLE TENURE it's been so long, but now that you point it out, I remember

I'm calling your B.S. right here. Despite the loss of Jok, every fan I know expected this team to take a step forward this year, not a giant step back. I think you're saying this to make yourself feel better and support your argument.

The preseason rankings by the media and even Kenpom had us ranked 9th in the B1G. I guess the experts and the computers knew a thing or two...

That noted, I had us making a big step forward. Although like most I was skeptical of our guards. I didn't think Moss would be able to make the necessary step up, being his 3rd year and not a true sophomore he is what he is. And JBo is good, but needs more support if he is going to be forced to play the point.

The rest of the positions the team talent has covered. Just get me some guards! Crean or go home, I say.

Okay, I respect that opinion

Thank you

Oh ya, that's right. I had forgotten that we even won one during his WHOLE TENURE it's been so long, but now that you point it out, I remember
Sadly, it's been 18 years and going to be 19 now since we made a sweet sixteen. 18! I'm starting to wonder if it's just Iowa bball at this point.

The assumptions built into the proposal that 2019-20 is "the year" are far, far from solid. Wieskamp is the one piece that does seem likely to be a good bet.
Without a significant upgrade in athleticism of the roster, most acutely at the point guard position, an improvement to the middle of the pack of the B1G (6th to 9th) is more likely than competing in the top 4 of the league.

Forget all this "hot seat" "Fire Fran" and "next year or bust" crap: 2019/2020 is the year. JBo will be a senior. So will Cook (assuming he stays). Nunge and Garza will be juniors. Wieskamp will have a full year under his belt; so will Connor. PMac will be coming in, and hopefully, DJ Carton (or Locure).

This year was always gonna be trash - I never expected "trash on fire" trash like it is now, but I honestly said at the beginning of the year this is a 15-18 win team (and I got hell for it).

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/redshirts.195896/

Next year, hopefully we improve to 17-19 wins. Neither of which makes the tourney, and even if we did, neither of which makes it out of the 2nd round.

2019/2020 is the year.
Next year or bust. Nobody can put up with this shit show for two more years.

Unless we are somehow worse next year, or there is attrition at the top, I highly doubt that Barta will fire Fran while his kids are still here or coming.

If you don't like it, don't buy a season ticket. There's always UNI you can root for.

Unless we are somehow worse next year, or there is attrition at the top, I highly doubt that Barta will fire Fran while his kids are still here or coming.

If you don't like it, don't buy a season ticket. There's always UNI you can root for.
We won't be worse next year.
We still won't make the NCAA tournament.
Bend Over won't fire Fran.
I won't buy a season ticket.
GFY. I'll root for whomever I like.

I see they brought Dr Tom back in today to help diagnose the ongoing disaster. He said press the hell out of em, at least it will give the impression of trying on defense.

Let's do the math.
In his 10th year, we finally get "the year".
So that means once every 10 years we get something worth remembering?

Reactions: Mcbooger
Cook will be gone after next year. It would surprise me if he returns next year. Going to be a lot of his close people saying get to greener pastures.

Lack of historical perspective indeed...

Tom's first seven years: 152-72 (six NCAA's and four years finishing ranked in AP T25)

Fran's first seven years: 137-101 (three NCAA's and one year finishing ranked in AP T25)

The team is not that young, they are simply ill-coached...and that is not acceptable no matter what year you are in.

Davis was 18 games over .500 in Big Ten play his first 3 years with Raveling recruits.
Davis was 3 games over .500 his last 10 years with his players. 4 if you count a 20 point loss that was later credited as a win.
Davis made the NCAA tournament 6 of 10 years with his recruits. I believe never higher than a 4 seed. One sweet 16.
I am not pro or con Davis. Just some history.

I am not pro or con Fran either but this season stinks. Going 2-7 in the Big ten tournament is bad and even worse when you consider Iowa has lost to the 10,11,12, and 13 seeds in the first round the last 4 years. Probably will never be duplicated.

Last edited:
Lack of historical perspective indeed...

Tom's first seven years: 152-72 (six NCAA's and four years finishing ranked in AP T25)

Fran's first seven years: 137-101 (three NCAA's and one year finishing ranked in AP T25)

The team is not that young, they are simply ill-coached...and that is not acceptable no matter what year you are in.

Apparently there's no difference between inheriting Armstrong, Marble, Horton, Lohaus and Gamble vs. Devyn Marble and Matt Gatens. Davis took over a title contender and was mediocre after his first 6 years. Fran took over a dumpster fire.

And to claim a team isn't young that plays one junior and no seniors in the top 7 rotation. Bizarre.

Nepotism is apparently rampant at Iowa then. Football and now basketball.

Apparently there's no difference between inheriting Armstrong, Marble, Horton, Lohaus and Gamble vs. Devyn Marble and Matt Gatens. Davis took over a title contender and was mediocre after his first 6 years. Fran took over a dumpster fire.

And to claim a team isn't young that plays one junior and no seniors in the top 7 rotation. Bizarre.
Oh, I thought about that, and while I give Fran credit for digging the program out of a deep hole while Tom was handed a talented roster to begin with is valid...your assumption that Fran could've had the same success as Tom with those recruits is flawed.

At this juncture, Tom had earned our benefit of the doubt. Fran has done NOTHING to earn such benefit, IMO.

I'm almost ready to jump on the fire Fran at the end of the season bandwagon. The score of the current game (63-29 at home with 16:30 to go) not withstanding...but he is going to have to show he hasn't lost total control of his team. The players appear to have thrown in the towel on this season. Who's fault is that?

I never recall asking that question about Dr. Tom.

Reactions: Mcbooger
Cook will be gone after next year. It would surprise me if he returns next year. Going to be a lot of his close people saying get to greener pastures.
I could see this. The thing is losing Cook really doesn't matter either. He's no savior. He just looks more impressive compared to his teammates athletically. He's not a great basketball player. If he somehow transferred to a blue blood program he'd play less than he does at Iowa.

We definitely do, I think Carton or one of those other PG's we've offered is absolutely instrumental.

Next year might be a repeat dumpster fire. Waiting for 2019/2020 will take a lot of patience by Iowa fans and the results in 2019/2020 might not be the regional powerhouse type level.

Uhl, Ellingson, wagner, Moss, and Baer all have 3 or more years on campus. Cook, Bohannon, Pemsl all had extensive experience last year. Because Uhl, Ellingson, Wagner, and Moss are all below average B1G players makes Iowa depend on young players. The lack of upperclassmen that play is just testament to 3 years of poor recruiting by fran.

The Dumpster fire that Fran inherited is overstated. He inherited Gatens and Marble---i.e. two quality B1G players. Right now, Fran only has a couple quality B1G playes on this squad in Bohannon and Cook. I would agree Nunge/Gaza have some potential, but aren't quality B1G level players right now and they don't play the guard positions where our lack of talent is most striking.

Uhl, Ellingson, wagner, Moss, and Baer all have 3 or more years on campus. Cook, Bohannon, Pemsl all had extensive experience last year. Because Uhl, Ellingson, Wagner, and Moss are all below average B1G players makes Iowa depend on young players. The lack of upperclassmen that play is just testament to 3 years of poor recruiting by fran.

The Dumpster fire that Fran inherited is overstated. He inherited Gatens and Marble---i.e. two quality B1G players. Right now, Fran only has a couple quality B1G playes on this squad in Bohannon and Cook. I would agree Nunge/Gaza have some potential, but aren't quality B1G level players right now and they don't play the guard positions where our lack of talent is most striking.
Two years bad recruiting. Rant on.

If this team played even good defense then we would be 5-6 wins better. That is on Fran. Nonetheless, I don’t think this is a long term rebuilding job and I think Fran will make 2-3 moves in the off season to shore things up, including staff.

Weiskamp may not be a savior, but he is a large piece of what is missing, offensively, defensively and mentally. I’d bet good money we are an NCAA team next year.

Nepotism is apparently rampant at Iowa then. Football and now basketball.

The fans within the fanbase who want more integrity (i.e. transparency) and wins are the bad guys. The people enabling the current situation are the good guys.

Last edited:

If by "greener pastures" you mean the next level, that would be Europe. No way in hell he is NBA ready, not even close.

Hold on, let's not muddy the water with facts. Well done, sir.

The fans within the fanbase who want more integrity (i.e. transparency) and wins are the bad guys. The people enabling the current situation are the good guys.
I think you are getting this wrong. I think those enabling the current situation, believe the fastest way to wins, is to not start over.

i like the lineup of
PG Carton/C Mac/JBO
SG Weiscamp/JBO/Moss
SF P MAc/ Moss/Dailey
PF Cook/ Nunge/ Pemsl
C Garza/ kriener

That's final four right there

That's a heck of a team but I don't see carton coming in and starting right away, especially in front of Bohannon. It will also depend on how Patrick develops as to if he is a starter right away at small forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT