ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Softball

Schedule isn't out yet. I did see we are on LSU's schedule opening weekend. The LSU tournament also features Tulsa and Bucknell. We'll play LSU twice.

The link Linus posted lists us as one of the teams at the Diamond 9 Tournament in Kissimmee.

The following weekend we are listed on Notre Dame's schedule at one of the other Diamond 9 tournaments also in Kissimmee.

UCF played in the Diamond 9 tournament last year so Coach G might have a connection to those tournaments.

Also, saw we are on Butler's schedule in March at a Southern Illinois tournament, but are not on S. Ill's schedule that weekend which is odd.

Can't wait to see the Hawks play. Despite the ugly games in the Big Four tournament I think we can win a fair share of games with Doocy/Shaw in the circle.

Go Hawks

Reactions: beahawk
The fall signing period starts tomorrow. Here are the list of verbals I have been able to find. With the coaching change I'm curious if all will sign.

Emma Nichols, P/UT, St. Louis Chaos
Erin Carter, MIF/OF, Michigan Finesse
Madison Pederson, C/1B, Midwest Speed
Nicole Yoder, MIF/CF, Davenport Assumption
Allison Timmons, P/1B, Davenport Assumption

Juco Transfers
Avery Guy, MIF DMACC
Mia Ruther, MIF, DMACC

Marissa Peek, St. Louis Chaos,
Grace Banes, MIF/OF, KC Peppers
Lindy Milkowski, UT, Select Fastpitch
Zoe Schulte, OF, St. Louis Chaos
Kaiya Luneckas, P/1B/LF, E. IA Baracudas (West Branch HS)
Wondering if Schulte is current freshman Miranda Schulte's sister.

Go Hawks

Last edited:
I've been following Fast Pitch News lately - there still a few transfers being announced. Frankly, a transfer of even average hitting ability could come in here and start. Hoping one or two will decide we offer a good opportunity.

Reactions: LinusPF
I've been following Fast Pitch News lately - there still a few transfers being announced. Frankly, a transfer of even average hitting ability could come in here and start. Hoping one or two will decide we offer a good opportunity.
Absolutely. That's where the game is going. If a P5 coach isn't bringing in quality transfers he/she isn't doing his/her job. Especially when a team has so many holes.

Iowa Softball Twitter has posted eight signees:

Mia Ruther and Avery Guy from DMACC

Alli Timmons, pitcher from Assumption; her sister pitches at Drake
Erin Carter, middle infielder from Michigan

Kalena Burns, Corona, CA (Previously a UCF Verbal) INF with Corona Angels.

Nia Carter, Rancho Cucumonga, CA, (Previously a Louisville Verbal) OF with Corona Angels,

Nicole Yoder has signed as well.

Taylor Ryan from Solon.

Looks like a couple of the players who previously verballed signed elsewhere. Nichols at Mizzou and Pedersen at North Dakota

Last edited:
Iowa Softball Twitter has posted six signees:

Mia Ruther and Avery Guy from DMACC

Alli Timmons, pitcher from Assumption; her sister pitches at Drake
Erin Carter, middle infielder from Michigan

Kalena Burns, Corona, CA (Previously a UCF Verbal) INF with Corona Angels.

Nia Carter, Rancho Cucumonga, CA, (Previously a Louisville Verbal) OF with Corona Angels,

Looks like Yoder has not signed yet.

Looks like a couple of the players who previously verballed signed elsewhere. Nichols at Mizzou and Pedersen at North Dakota
Thanks

HerkHatecy,

I don't know much about the recruits, but know Corona Angels is one of the premier club teams. Getting two players from Angels is a big deal. Nia Carter appears to be a lefty slapper.

The DMACC recruits play SS and 2B. Others on here have posted they are both great softball players.

Hoping some of the other posters more in the know have more details about the recruits.

Go Hawks

Eight signees; 21 on the roster now, of which two are seniors. Maximum roster size is 25, so that leaves two allowances for potential transfer or career-ending injury, if my math is correct.

I know Yoder, Solid player, great defense, Not alot of power but hits well for average, Avery Guy, great defense, Excellent hitter and speed, will probley play outfield to start out but can really play anywhere. Allie Timmons, Solid player, have not seen her pitch as much as her sister, but hear she is a terrific pitcher, so should help the Hawks there. Over all This class is a good fill for needed positions. THe Juco Transfers will help! I know as 12pitch said before that the Corona Angels are a solid Cali club team, we (My Daughters club team) played them and the OC Bat busters in the IDT Tourney in Colorado and all their players were D1 recruits. I am excited to see how all these players pan out. I think Iowa softball is trending in the right Direction. We will see..

The Good News: Ankeny native Kendyl Lindaman appears to be transferring out of Gopherland.

The Bad News: Probably not coming back home. Rumor on the Ultimate College Softball board is she's headed to Oregon (who lost about a third of their team following Mike White's move to Texas).

It would be nice if she were to transfer "home" to Iowa, but I'll be happy we do not have to face her when we play the Gophers. There had been rumors last spring that she and others may be transferring from MN. Auburn was the school being tossed around then.

BTW, anyone know when the spring schedule will be released?

I had not heard that Lindaman was considering leaving. wonder why she would leave Minn, they have a very talented team, she has been injured and didnt play in the fall, but would be an AA again this year when she comes back. seems strange to leave in your junior year.

Reactions: remerson
And she's still on the roster; it may be the staff hasn't given up on keeping her. However, there have been Twitter posts from teammates wishing her luck (though sometimes I wonder about Twitter/social media stuff).

I had not heard that Lindaman was considering leaving. wonder why she would leave Minn, they have a very talented team, she has been injured and didnt play in the fall, but would be an AA again this year when she comes back. seems strange to leave in your junior year.
Lindaman somehow passing on Iowa and transferring to Florida ;)

Eight signees; 21 on the roster now, of which two are seniors. Maximum roster size is 25, so that leaves two allowances for potential transfer or career-ending injury, if my math is correct.
Three no longer listed on the roster - Devin Cantu, Taylor Libby and Josie Shudak

Reactions: SLarew
That is unfortunate they are no longer on the roster. Even though Cantu did not have a high batting average it always felt like she had a chance to make something happen at the plate. Libby was batting number 4 for the Hawks - we need every bit of offense we can get. Both being catchers, too.

Go Hawks.

Wonder why Libby left, she seemed to be trending toward starting and had alot of potential. You never can tell with school pressures along with trying to be an NCAA athlete. Lots of added pressures. My Daughter is feeling it as a Soph. Just got accepted into her major and now is overwhelmed with all the requirements for completing it and still focusing on softball. I know many girls just give up softball so they can focus on their studies.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Three no longer listed on the roster - Devin Cantu, Taylor Libby and Josie Shudak
Yes, although I had been thinking in terms of post-2019. This now takes the roster to 18, which is workable but lots of teams have more.

I'm guess that Cantu, a Texan like McKenzie Schneider (who I wish would have stayed), got a bit homesick and decided transferring after sophomore year was the thing to do. Have no idea about IC native Libby, unless she was expecting to be named the starting catcher and wasn't. Was Shudak a walk-on? I don't recall anything about her being recruited (though I don't follow that real closely)

I think Cantu struggled with injuries. Maybe she saw the writing on the wall with DeShields starting at catcher in the fall.

Taylor may also want to play more with being an upper class person. I thought she was improving.

Might be a good sign with the freshman catcher from the cities.

Reactions: SLarew
Libby will be playing for Northern Colorado this spring. No idea why she left the Hawks! SIAP

Looks from the teams' Instagram posts like the Hawks have done a mini-spring training in Florida prior to the start of the semester. Have not heard of that being done before, be interesting to see how much it might help.

UCFEric8, Thank you for posting the pod cast.

Coach G talked about pitching. Doocy, of course, will be the ace who we rely on. She said after that it will be pitching by committee. She mentioned Erin is throwing well, plus we have Sarah, Miranda, and DonieRae. She did not mention Lauren Shaw. It did not look like Shaw was in the team pictures in Spring Training. She battled injuries. Wondering if she is still injured. This is a big hit. Shaw had a solid Freshman year.

Go Hawks

I went to one of the fall games, we threw several pitchers with Riding being one of them. Had neither control nor velocity that night, so I was wondering about a sore arm. Nice to have a lot of options in the circle, wasn't that long ago that Looper had to convert Yoways from infield to be the #2 pitcher.

Just saw on Twitter that DMACC 2b - Mia Ruther (Iowa signee) was named by Fast Pitch News pre season NJCAA All American.

Reactions: Wadukester
I'm hoping her .520 average translates partially to D1.
Doubt that. Its alot different facing average pitching in Juco (Once in a while great ones like Molly J) but most pitching they see is pretty average. Then you step up to D1 big ten pitching its a huge learning curve. Girls throw harder, lots more movement and dont miss spots much. I look at one of the best JUCO hitters i have ever seen in Taylor Nearad.. She struggled her first season in D1.. she got it going later in the year that year but not near what she was doing in Juco. I will be interested to see how Avery Guy and D Ray Mayhew hits this year. Both were very good in JC and HS.

I agree. That's why I said partially. I would be very happy if she hit over .300.She didn't hit any HRs, so she needs to make up for that with getting on base and running.

When Avery played against Iowa, she stood out right away. She could have been playing for Iowa that fall.

It seems that coach has confidence in DR as she was hitting DH in the fall. Iowa needs much more power in their lineup to be able to compete. I believe she was really pressing in her at bats against former teammates and rivals.

Reactions: SLarew and Drmac22
I agree. That's why I said partially. I would be very happy if she hit over .300.She didn't hit any HRs, so she needs to make up for that with getting on base and running.

When Avery played against Iowa, she stood out right away. She could have been playing for Iowa that fall.

It seems that coach has confidence in DR as she was hitting DH in the fall. Iowa needs much more power in their lineup to be able to compete. I believe she was really pressing in her at bats against former teammates and rivals.
D Ray will hit. I know she struggled but as you said I think she was pressing, She has lost quite a lot of weight on the Iowa lifting and conditioning program (She looks Terrific) So that may or may not help her power in the line up. I think it will help her pitching. Avery is a great player all around.. have know her since she was 10u Blue Devil and my daughter has played with her or against her for years. She always is calm and smooth. I think she will hit well once she catches up to the speed of the B10. Looking forward to coming out and catching a few games if I can. Weekends for us are usually up to St Cloud to watch our own daughter play. But will definately be at some week day games.

Looper had the pitchers and catchers call the game. It looked like in the game I watched online the coaches called the game. Does anyone have a sense of if the pitchers will find this beneficial or not? Doocey works at a fast pace in the circle. Would this disrupt a pitchers rhythm?

Go Hawks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT