ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Softball

UCF is in the same conference as Tulane where Barbara Burke was before Iowa. Burke probably had exposure to her during her days at Tulane. Seems that all the pieces add up. It would be interesting to know if that’s who they targeted or she’s just one of a handful they are pursuing.

Side note, a top Twitter account on college baseball just noted that Heller’s name is being floated around for Kansas State opening. I know Heller and Gene Taylor were close. Hoping it’s jusy a conversation and not anything that will come to fruition.

Yep I haven’t heard anything new. Tells one of two things.

1. They have a deal in place with UCF coach and waiting to announce it. Which I’m not sure why the holdup from both sides.

2. They have a deal in place with a someone currently coaching in the WCWS. This one seems more likely to me now with the deafening silence. If they were still looking for a coach or UCF knew their coach was leaving there would be back channel conversations going on.

In other words I have no new info, lol

Yep I haven’t heard anything new. Tells one of two things.

1. They have a deal in place with UCF coach and waiting to announce it. Which I’m not sure why the holdup from both sides.

2. They have a deal in place with a someone currently coaching in the WCWS. This one seems more likely to me now with the deafening silence. If they were still looking for a coach or UCF knew their coach was leaving there would be back channel conversations going on.

In other words I have no new info, lol

Thanks! I just got on to ask for an update.
Appreciate your insights.

Reactions: SLarew
Looper only resigned two weeks ago today. I think all University positions have to be posted for a period of time. I don't remember the length, but 14 days sounds right. Assuming the position didn't get posted the day Looper resigned, I think we have a couple more days wait minimum. That's even if they know who their (wo)man is going to be.

I talked to a current Hawkeye player and she doesn’t think they’ve interviewed anyone yet.

Looper only resigned two weeks ago today. I think all University positions have to be posted for a period of time. I don't remember the length, but 14 days sounds right. Assuming the position didn't get posted the day Looper resigned, I think we have a couple more days wait minimum. That's even if they know who their (wo)man is going to be.
The job listing comes off today. Maybe we'll know more shortly...

I thought maybe there was an informal custom to wait to announce until after the WCWS was finished, but then Missouri filled their opening.

I'd hate to think we could end up missing on our #1 candidate because we moved too slowly. But also possible given Iowa's reputation over the years on SB and womens sports generally, is that we've already been turned down several times. IIRC, rumor was that Sharon Diggmann was 8th person offered for VB at that time.

Certainly true, she was never referred to as anything other than an acting head coach all season that I saw. And a SEC team was never going to just hand over the job to a young assistant. OTOH, anyone following Iowa knew that this was the final year of Looper's contract, and the only suspense (once we sank to our usual spot in the B10 standings) was whether she would resign or simply wait for Iowa to announce that she wouldn't be renewed.

Reactions: SLarew
I commend Coach Looper for resigning as soon as she did. She took the high road and didn't push the issue. I wish her the best in her future. The public advertisement and interviewing could have been sidelined, by her, for an extended time with the current atmosphere around the Iowa AD.

It wouldn't have been good PR if it was known that Iowa was interviewing for her job. There only had to be an appearance of malintent, It didn't matter if it actually existed.

The Deputy AD was at every single home game and is extremely knowledgeable of softball.
She not only had to eliminate an unsuccessful coach, but also had to line up her ducks.

I am VERY happy that the Deputy AD is over seeing the new hire. I have little confidence that AD Barta knows or cares anything about women's athletics.

All the Iowa softball fanatics with whom I spoke couldn't believe when Coach was given her 5 year extension. It was obvious that her team was out playing her coaching. I'd never seen a team that ran the bases as poorly. Ran themselves out of at least an inning a game. She was blatantly unprepared to be a head coach and extremely lucky the year they won 30.

Reactions: r448chlpo
I see Missouri hired Hofstra's coach. I wonder if Iowa had any interest in her. According to the Post-Dispatch in St Louis. The Wisconsin coach was one of the finalists at Missouri.

could it be the assistant coach from a sec school.

I think the wait is just like was said earlier, they have to post the job for a certain length of time. Even though they probably know who they want or at least who the 2 or 3 finalists are.

Reactions: DPCamaro
I thought maybe there was an informal custom to wait to announce until after the WCWS was finished, but then Missouri filled their opening.

I'd hate to think we could end up missing on our #1 candidate because we moved too slowly. But also possible given Iowa's reputation over the years on SB and womens sports generally, is that we've already been turned down several times. IIRC, rumor was that Sharon Diggmann was 8th person offered for VB at that time.

Iowa has always been strict about following advertising rules so the fact no announcements not surprising. I don’t recall length of time required but would expect news by middle of June

I don't know if softball is like basketball where there are certain times they can or can't recruit, but IC West is having their annual tournament at the Iowa softball complex this weekend. It would have been nice to have a coach in place so they could be there watching.

So I am hearing, from our contact within the organization, that Rich Calvert is one name that is being bounced around the team. That would be a great hire. Just look what he has done with the Drake program.

Someone called into KCJJ and said the finalists are supposed to be in town this week, touring the facilities etc.

During the College World Series, they said the Florida coach is a candidate for the Texas job. They said if he takes the job, if could set off a domino effect with coaching jobs. So hopefully Iowa gets their coach hired sooner rather than later.

I've seen the speculation that Texas could throw money at Walton the Florida coach until he couldn't say no. We'll see, if money was all it took then Texas should win national championships in every sport. Wonder why they haven't tried the money approach in WBB to land Auriemma from UConn.

Hearing some “new” names and I’m pretty excited about them. Let’s hope they can close the deal. Expect news soon

Reactions: BDJHawk
They Better close the deal soon, the Club season is going on now and Iowa HS is about mid way, so if they plan on being in on recruiting this year then they need to hire someone soon! I really hope its a fresh exciting hire. I love college softball and I love the Hawks and want it to be the way it was with Gayle. Or at least be competitive. Really Want the Big Ten to be a player in the sport and glad to see FSU break that glass ceiling for someone other then the big Three.

Reactions: crankermo
Hope our new hire is able to take advantage of all our open roster spots due to graduations. Some aggressive recruiting (and solid coaching on defense and hitting) could make us dangerous as soon as next season. Hope the PTB now understand that focusing on TX and CA isn't the answer for us, and will hire accordingly. I might be wrong, but looks to me like Missouri's hire ,though maybe solid, was not really splashy, so maybe the Tigers won't be raiding the local talent quite so much (now if we could stop Minnesota!).

Being in and around class A and Gold level fastpitch in this area for the last ten years, I can say that the amount of talent around here can easily rival many areas of the country. If you're strong in Iowa/Nebraska, you are strong anywhere. Nebraska Gold won the 16U ASA Gold National Championship just a couple years ago. All those players were from Lincoln/Omaha and western Iowa. I know that when we play the Iowa teams, they're usually pretty tough (it's just too bad the high school season takes up too much of the club season). And, quite honestly, the California and Texas teams have never scared us. We beat them all the time.

If the new coach keeps the Iowa talent home, and plucks some of the regional talent as well, we will be back at Blevins level in no time.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/extra-elite-signing-verbal-list-2018-2024-recruits/

I found this website that lists known verbals (link above). If you search for Iowa Premier Gold you'll notice all of their known verbals. Washington, DePaul, Auburn, Missouri, Illinois and Michigan all have recruits who played for IPG. Most of the girls are from the Des Moines area. The Washington recruit is from Bettendorf. Big name schools are picking up talent from the state. The Auburn and Mizzou recruits did have Iowa offers. Not sure about the others.

We need to start keeping this talent.

Poster said interviews with head coaches at Central Florida, UNI, and South Dakota St. Someone asked about Drake coach and the same poster said not yet.

Poster said interviews with head coaches at Central Florida, UNI, and South Dakota St. Someone asked about Drake coach and the same poster said not yet.

That is correct. The team was told to expect a decision after all the meetings which should be sometime this weekend

I can’t tell by the Lounge poster’s comments about Drake Head Coach Calvert - “not yet” - means it’s forthcoming or not.

I wonder if we are still dealing with a hangover in softball coaching circles from Blevins’ sudden departure as the three names game me a “meh” response.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT