ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Softball

...I wonder if we are still dealing with a hangover in softball coaching circles from Blevins’ sudden departure as the three names game me a “meh” response.
IMHO we almost certainly are, along with how the Griesbaum situation went down. I do think it's good that Burke is leading the search, but it's no secret she still reports to Barta. Plus it doesn't look good that facilities improvements promised to Heller when he got here have not materialized, aside from the FieldTurf.

I think UNI's coach Jacobs would be a step up. They had a dud season this year, but their #1 pitcher missed almost all of the conference season (same thing happened to Drake a year ago), and the kid who would have been their #2 transferred to Wichita State to become the #1 there. Also, the bottom of UNI's order hit more like the bottom of ours, but more commonly they hit decently through the order. And he knows the Iowa scene and wouldn't be off chasing low tier sunbelt kids.

That said I think Calvert would be even better, plus he knows the U of I. But who I'd really like to see is the next Jessica Allister, whoever that might be (not necessarily female) - someone with energy, charisma and all-around knowledge of the game, not just pitching. If it were me, I'd be using whatever contacts I had at Minnesota to learn how they uncovered Allister and then try to replicate that here (assuming they'd share that with a conference rival).

There's no doubt that the lack of commitment regarding facilities is playing a big role in the coaching search. We were told 7yrs ago that Iowa was getting new stadium during the recruiting process.

As for Allister she was hardly unknown. Her parents owned and operated OnDeck recruiting services and she playes at Stanford obviously.

I do believe that one of the biggest selling points that Iowa has and should be using to sell potential coaches is the fact that there is a huge rabid fan base that would make a new stadium a terrifying place for opponents to come in.

There's no doubt that the lack of commitment regarding facilities is playing a big role in the coaching search. We were told 7yrs ago that Iowa was getting new stadium during the recruiting process.

As for Allister she was hardly unknown. Her parents owned and operated OnDeck recruiting services and she playes at Stanford obviously.

I do believe that one of the biggest selling points that Iowa has and should be using to sell potential coaches is the fact that there is a huge rabid fan base that would make a new stadium a terrifying place for opponents to come in.
Do we really need huge selling points to get the like of UNI or Central Florida’s coach. Pay increase should be enough for them along with coming to the Big Ten

Renne Gillispie from UCF is the new head coach. Danville, IA native and former Kirkwood Softball Player

Thanks for your ongoing input, crankermo. Hopefully, you will keep us updated on how the new coach implements her plans to turn the program around. Hope the team meets her soon and feels good about the hire.

This looks like an excellent hire and she puts keeping Iowa talent at the front and center of her comments. Also involving alumni. The video interview was impressive and it was great to see Blevins show her support. The new coach has been able to turn around down programs at every stop except UCF which was a new program. Let’s hope she was just what the doctor ordered to bring success to the Hawkeyes!

Last edited:
Reactions: crankermo
Do we really need huge selling points to get the like of UNI or Central Florida’s coach. Pay increase should be enough for them along with coming to the Big Ten
NO coach wants to go somewhere without a level of commitment needed

And to leave a highly successful program she started and has many years invested in, I would hope she was able to get the admin to commit to some tangible support of the program. I can’t think she would leave a great situation if she didn’t.

Reactions: crankermo
Thanks for your ongoing input, crankermo. Hopefully, you will keep us updated on how the new coach implements her plans to turn the program around. Hope the team meets her soon and feels good about the hire.

This looks like an excellent hire and she puts keeping Iowa talent at the front and center of her comments. Also involving alumni. The video interview was impressive and it was great to see Blevins show her support. The new coach has been able to turn around down programs at every stop except UCF which was a new program. Let’s hope she was just what the doctor ordered to bring success to the Hawkeyes!

Yes there is a needed uniting of alumni/fan base since Blevins left. Blevins never should have been treated like that, but I digress.

If there is the additional commitment on the resources side, then this has a chance to really work.

Reactions: SLarew
My family may live in MO but we are HAWKS and want nothing more than this program to be something ALL HAWKS can be proud of.

I will try to keep everyone involved with the new changes. I'm personally excited for the change and the improvements.

And to leave a highly successful program she started and has many years invested in, I would hope she was able to get the admin to commit to some tangible support of the program. I can’t think she would leave a great situation if she didn’t.
Or she was just looking for a familiar place to finish out her coaching career and get a nice bump in pay at the same time. I wouldn't count on any immediate upgrades.

Except for hopefully the play on the field! :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't think softball would get anything until baseball does. There is legitimate concern about moving out of the floodplain though, no one should doubt the Iowa River will be back out of its banks, and probably sooner than later.

But looks like a strong hire so far. Next question is where is recruiting at? I don't follow it closely, but ISTR we had some verbals, maybe even a couple of signees. I know someone who verbaled to a D-I school for volleyball but had the offer rescinded when a coaching change was made. I don't intend to be mean to anyone who Looper may have recruited, but based on history at least a few of them are unlikely to be able to contribute to the rebuild of the program.

Last edited:
Great press release and Gayle’s comments and Murphy’s comments were solid to see. Where is the video interview people are talking about?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think softball would get anything until baseball does. There is legitimate concern about moving out of the floodplain though, no one should doubt the Iowa River will be back out of its banks, and probably sooner than later.

Coralville has spent a boatload of money on flood mitigation over the last ten years. Be interesting to see how UI moves forward now that pretty much all the work is done.

Would be nice if Coach could bring her .340 hitting Freshman. Unless some move positions we have only four outfielders on the roster next year...one a Freshman and two who have spent most their time pinch-running.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDJHawk
I am hearing from some pretty credible sources that one of the Assistant Coaches from Minnesota is leaving and there may be some players (possibly with Iowa ties??), that might be looking for a change of scenery. If correct, hopefully, the new coaching staff can start that kind of conversation.

Reactions: beahawk and BDJHawk
I am hearing from some pretty credible sources that one of the Assistant Coaches from Minnesota is leaving and there may be some players (possibly with Iowa ties??), that might be looking for a change of scenery. If correct, hopefully, the new coaching staff can start that kind of conversation.

There are several players leaving Minny from within the travel ball circuit circles. I believe that if they wanted to transfer within conference they would still have to sit out a year because of conference rules though.

. I'm hearing Auburn is the likely landing spot.

Reactions: SPGroth
As of 6/29 the only staff member remaining on the website is the DSO Keely McMillon. I figured Baggetta was gone, as she arrived with Looper and shares responsibility for the W/L record. West was new last August and has Iowa background but does not have much coaching experience.

Really Cool listening to the Podcast with Gayle, We have known her for a number of years as she was my daughters hitting coach, We spent a lot of time with her and She truly does bleed Black and Gold and only wants the best for Iowa. It still impresses me that she will come to HS softball games and support girls that she has mentored and coached. She was at the Prairie Vs Jefferson game for Erin Johnsons debut as Prairies HC, Erin was one of Gayles players. I feel Iowa has done well hiring Coach Gillispi and we do see her as well at HS softball games, Im quite sure she is at the State tourney, and I know she attended some games at the MSL League for the College girls here in CR. She is shaking every tree because that league has quite a few Juco girls that may help her so she gets to see them in person playing live ball. To Bad Molly Jacobson already commited to Ole Miss, adding her to Iowas Pitching staff would have been Huge.

Reactions: beahawk and BDJHawk
I was hoping Gillispie would bring in a transfer or two, but I was hoping it would be immediate help to our offense...more depth in our outfield would especially be good! I think our current pitching staff is fine.

Observation -- historically the softball team (as I think most softball teams) lose a player or two every year...for whatever reason. With a coaching change I would have expected a departure or two for sure. But for now, everyone with eligibility still remains on the published roster.

I know she was a multi sport kid, played volleyball at coe too so maybe it was her.. Not sure.

She did volleyball, soccer, basketball along with softball. Had an older sister who was a good hoops player. Had a cousin who was a pretty good 4 year starter at Coe, another cousin was college VB. Uncle coached at UNI with Eldon and does TV hoops games as well. Big family.

Reactions: Drmac22
Saw her pitch at the state tournament last year. I was kind of surprised she didn’t give softball a try at Coe.

Saw her pitch at the state tournament last year. I was kind of surprised she didn’t give softball a try at Coe.
Well She played with my daughter on the Ironside apparel team in the Metrosports Womens softball league all this summer and pitched pretty well, I know Coach G, came to watch that league and seen her. Along with others like Avery Guy and few juco that may be on the radar. I think she can add depth to the pitching staff which is always needed.. To bad Brook Craig didnt go to Iowa, she looked solid in this league as did Kelsey Aikey. A few other stand outs Like Haley Duwa and Adara Opilola sure could have helped Iowas Offense. Kinda surprised that more of the U of Iowa players didnt play in this league, players like Ashley Hamilton who didnt get alot of reps this last season would have benefited from live pitching from college level pitchers.

Reactions: Bum Leer
Well She played with my daughter on the Ironside apparel team in the Metrosports Womens softball league all this summer and pitched pretty well, I know Coach G, came to watch that league and seen her. Along with others like Avery Guy and few juco that may be on the radar. I think she can add depth to the pitching staff which is always needed.. To bad Brook Craig didnt go to Iowa, she looked solid in this league as did Kelsey Aikey. A few other stand outs Like Haley Duwa and Adara Opilola sure could have helped Iowas Offense. Kinda surprised that more of the U of Iowa players didnt play in this league, players like Ashley Hamilton who didnt get alot of reps this last season would have benefited from live pitching from college level pitchers.
I recall speaking with a parent whose kid played for both Blevins and Looper. She was disappointed Looper didn't expect players to participate in summer leagues like Blevins did. Iowa players may not get the summer off going forward!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT