ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Softball

Hawks finish 3-2 on the weekend. We were in Tampa this weekend and watched the games. The team is looking more fundamentally sound than the past few years. Killian had a great weekend hitting and freshman Owens had some big hits too. 11-8 with some winnable games next weekend.

Go Hawks

Last edited:
Wonder why Libby left, she seemed to be trending toward starting and had alot of potential.

Libby started the season 1/26 .038 and lost her starting job. Abby and Liz have been great at catcher. I think it all worked out at least on the Iowa side!

Hawks finish 3-1 over the weekend with one game being rained out. Hawks beat UIC and lost of Green Bay on Friday. One bad inning with three errors doomed the Hawks in the 6-4 loss. Hawks run ruled Green bay on Sunday and beat a pretty good Miami (OH) team 2-1 in a pitchers dual. Freshman Abby Lien with two homers on Friday, Doocy picks up three wins over the weekend. 14-9 on the season with one more non-conference game before heading to Purdue on March 22.

Hawks finish 3-1 over the weekend with one game being rained out. Hawks beat UIC and lost of Green Bay on Friday. One bad inning with three errors doomed the Hawks in the 6-4 loss. Hawks run ruled Green bay on Sunday and beat a pretty good Miami (OH) team 2-1 in a pitchers dual. Freshman Abby Lien with two homers on Friday, Doocy picks up three wins over the weekend. 14-9 on the season with one more non-conference game before heading to Purdue on March 22.

I thought Lehman got the win in the run rule game.

Yep, you're right. Win to Lehman. I assumed it was Doocy since she started the game and pitched more innings, but the box score credits Lehman with the win.

Yep, you're right. Win to Lehman. I assumed it was Doocy since she started the game and pitched more innings, but the box score credits Lehman with the win.

That's what I would have thought as well. I know the MLB criteria, what is the criteria in CSB?

For those with access to the ESPN+ app on your tablet, phone, Roku, etc., Iowa's game at Illinois State this Wednesday 3/20 will be available at 5PM, and on replay for several days afterward. State has a awful looking record, but has play a very tough schedule. They ran into Florida in 3 different tournaments (!), going a combined 0-4. Also lost to Arizona, Arizona State, LSU. Michigan, and split a pair with Indiana. I watched them for a bit over the weekend, they clobbered an admittedly weak Evansville team by a combined 35-8 over 3 games.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
For those with access to the ESPN+ app on your tablet, phone, Roku, etc., Iowa's game at Illinois State this Wednesday 3/20 will be available at 5PM, and on replay for several days afterward. State has a awful looking record, but has play a very tough schedule. They ran into Florida in 3 different tournaments (!), going a combined 0-4. Also lost to Arizona, Arizona State, LSU. Michigan, and split a pair with Indiana. I watched them for a bit over the weekend, they clobbered an admittedly weak Evansville team by a combined 35-8 over 3 games.
They have Weibel from Benton, former teammate of Amber Fiser and a few other girls I know or have coached against, (Lafontaine former QC Firebird) They are a scrappy group. Alot of those girls played last year and will play again this year in the Metro Sports league here in CR. I think they are tougher then their record. UNI also plays them later this month. I am impressed with the turnaround Iowa Softball has shown. I hope this is the future as Renee gets more of Her type recruits in. Very pleased to see the improvement.

Drmac22, I watched Ole Miss vs. Texas a few weeks ago on Longhorn Network. You are right about Jacobsen, the DMACC pitcher now at Ole Miss. She's the real deal. Currently has a 1.17 ERA in 66 innings. Too bad Looper missed on her. She would have been a great compliment to Doocy.

Drmac22, I watched Ole Miss vs. Texas a few weeks ago on Longhorn Network. You are right about Jacobsen, the DMACC pitcher now at Ole Miss. She's the real deal. Currently has a 1.17 ERA in 66 innings. Too bad Looper missed on her. She would have been a great compliment to Doocy.
Oh Man.. Yes.. I think even if you added Natalie Halverson at Depaul she could have helped pitching. But Molly would have definitely improved this staff. I would think she could have added 10 wins and with Doocy not having to carry the whole load down the stretch it might have made a difference in the playoffs of the Big ten. Lots of misses by Looper.

Speaking of misses, I now Coach Gillespie has tried to turn her but no luck.. Kaylin Kinney from Kennedy HS, A Nebraska Commit is another huge miss. She is a difference maker on both sides of the ball, as she can pitch very well and is a monster hitter. I always drop hints when i talk too her that she would look great in Black and Gold, but she is pretty set on Nebby. To bad too cause I honestly think she is a Fiser type player and a linderman type offense threat. They refuse to pitch to her in HS so her numbers are not Linderman type numbers but I truely believe she will be a Terrific player in College. Hate to see her kicking Iowas butt in the next few years.

Illinois State game has been canceled due to unfavorable field conditions (after we traveled there a day early and practiced on it).

Illinois State game has been canceled due to unfavorable field conditions (after we traveled there a day early and practiced on it).
Yeah that seems weird.. no rain so not sure why the fields were not playable or any field near by. I think they have a dome in the area too. Waste of time and money on team travel during spring break.

Yeah that seems weird.. no rain so not sure why the fields were not playable or any field near by. I think they have a dome in the area too. Waste of time and money on team travel during spring break.
Probably due to frost Coming up. Field is firm on one day and soup the next

Interesting developments Saturday at Purdue. Lien to CF, replaced at C by DeShields. Owens to SS. Thompson in RF. Schulte as the DP with a .118 BA and also SLG. Doocy, after going all the way in Friday's game 1, did the same in game 2 as well as into the 3rd of game 3. Was charged with all 4 PU runs. Riding was the only other pitcher used.

Though I heard one of the PU announcers say they had a worse season than we did last year, which didn't sound right as they finished ahead of us in the conference standings. But I looked it up, their overall was in fact worse at 16-40. Would have been nice to have won a couple at least in this series.

Last edited:
Purdue takes the series 2-1. Purdue with a walk off double in game one for a 3-2 victory, Iowa rebounds with a 2-1 win and Purdue wins the rubber match 4-2. Hawks got down early in game three and made noise late, but couldn't get the big hit they needed.

Western Ill mid week and a tough Northwestern team this weekend.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Interesting developments Saturday at Purdue. Lien to CF, replaced at C by DeShields. Owens to SS. Thompson in RF. Schulte as the DP with a .118 BA and also SLG.
I thought Sydney did well at SS. Lea can struggle in the OF. I know Bogar has played outfield some. Lea was terrific at 2nd her first year. Seems like they should flip-flop.

OOOFF - that was a ugly home opener. Haven't scored more than two runs in any of the last five games, and now all three pitchers have bad outings tonight. Starting to feel like the wheels are coming off.

Northwestern is looking really good this year. Will need to find some offense to find a win this weekend.

well that was a whippin. Western Illinois Had a Few Iowa girls too. E Ira has been a Thorn in Iowa side for a couple years when they play. Would have been a Great Hawkeye along with Duwa. Shows you that the Hawks still have alot of work to do.

Northwestern is looking really good this year. Will need to find some offense to find a win this weekend.
I saw part of NW-DePaul yesterday, lots of hard-hit balls from both sides. Chances of a NW sweep are about 99% IMHO

If i was Riding, I would be upset. It was the return of the phantom scorer. None of her runs should have been earned. Scorer ruled no error on a dropped foul ball.

There's absolutely no excuse for that.

If i was Riding, I would be upset. It was the return of the phantom scorer. None of her runs should have been earned. Scorer ruled no error on a dropped foul ball.

There's absolutely no excuse for that.

After the drop I said this is going to lead to something bad. Next pitch hit up the middle that started the big inning.

Frustrating game. It felt like we were improving but this feels like a step back. Hopefully its just a temporary stumble.

Go Hawks

I checked the records of the remaining teams on the schedule.

UNI and ISU will be winnable.
Wisconsin is 24-5 and they have beaten a # of ranked teams. Menz (Waukee) is 9-2. If i remember correctly, Iowa never recruited her.
Illinois is 21-7 and also has beaten numerous ranked teams.
Rutgers and Iowa appear to be about equal.
I think we could win 2 against the bugeaters. Drake beat then 2x's easily this week.
Minnesota is ranked. Iowa hasn't hit Fiser for 2 years. No reason to believe that has changed. Iowa didn't recruit her either.
OSU is 18-9 with a tough schedule.

8 or possibly 9 more wins is realistic. If they do better, the year will be very successful.

So Doocy went the distance again today, despite giving up 4 runs in the first. Personally, I'm hoping we don't find out the hard way when her arm has had too much.

Iowa heads to Madison to play the Badgers. Hawks are 15-15 and need to get some wins in the Big Ten. Badgers are 27-5. Go Hawks.

Some vintage Looperball on display for the Hawks. Wisc runner on 1st attempts a steal, Lien throws short and toward 1b side of 2nd, ball goes into CF, where Thompson bobbles it. Runner gets home on weak throw.

Very frustrating game. Up 1-0 and a misplayed ball in the outfield led to a RBI double, then a runner scores on a fly ball to center from second as the infield watches as she runs home and then the play Row 55 describes. The team looked like they quit after the double to put Wisc up 2-0.

We need to find our bats. Another shut out.

Hopefully, we bounce back tomorrow.

Go Hawks

Some vintage Looperball on display for the Hawks. Wisc runner on 1st attempts a steal, Lien throws short and toward 1b side of 2nd, ball goes into CF, where Thompson bobbles it. Runner gets home on weak throw.
That's not fair to Looper. At least Looper's teams always went all out. When things start to go south this team gives up.

Coach has to find 2 new good pitchers for next year. Doocy has started to become like Kayla Massey. An all big ten pitcher who thinks she has to win all the games on her own and when she makes a mistake, loses concentration because she knows she has no offense behind her.

That's not fair to Looper. At least Looper's teams always went all out. When things start to go south this team gives up.
That's not what I remember. Not that there weren't some highlights along the way (eg. a couple of strong B10 tournament performances, won at Michigan, etc.). But my memory of the Looper years was a lot of flat softball, with sloppy fielding, punchless batting, and uneven pitching.

Now, I know you follow and have followed SB closely; not sure how our impressions are so different.

Last edited:
I’ve said it before but I firmly believe that the single biggest failure of Looper was keeping Baggetta and letting Johnson go. I think Johnson could’ve kept some instate talent also

If Looper would’ve listened to Johnson instead of Baggetta I think the program would’ve been successful. Baggetta was and is a POS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT