ADVERTISEMENT

2020 hopeful

This would be a very nice get. Vasquez mowed thru the field to win a CA state title at 132# as a soph.

F 1:09
F 2:47
F :24
16-6 qtrs
10-7 semi
10-0 finals

I believe he also won a state title as a fr at 113# wrestling for St John Bosco, the school Pico and Valencia bros attended.

He'll be going for his 3rd CA title this weekend.

Would be nice to open a pipeline for CA recruits.

Max has 3 years on him (and the best training in the world) and had a good tournament. Reminds me of Max’s potential when he finishes before the ankle grabbers can get to his ankles. Finished relatively fast and decisively. He is so close right now. Hoping he gets right mentally and he could make noise at Bigs and NCAAs. He can seemingly get to everybody’s legs.

Max has 3 years on him (and the best training in the world) and had a good tournament. Reminds me of Max’s potential when he finishes before the ankle grabbers can get to his ankles. Finished relatively fast and decisively. He is so close right now. Hoping he gets right mentally and he could make noise at Bigs and NCAAs. He can seemingly get to everybody’s legs.

While watching I was like wow, Max has leg shots. The question is where did they go?

Reactions: TarpHawk
This would be a very nice get. Vasquez mowed thru the field to win a CA state title at 132# as a soph.

F 1:09
F 2:47
F :24
16-6 qtrs
10-7 semi
10-0 finals

I believe he also won a state title as a fr at 113# wrestling for St John Bosco, the school Pico and Valencia bros attended.

He'll be going for his 3rd CA title this weekend.

Would be nice to open a pipeline for CA recruits.

My only concern with him is that he is on his 3rd high school in 3 years. In fact he might be the only kid on the team at this high school.

While watching I was like wow, Max has leg shots. The question is where did they go?

His leg shots are still there. He was in on the Indiana kid’s legs about 7 or 8 times, but he only converted on one of them. All others, the kid got to one of his ankles and they ended up rolling around for a while. Most ended in stalemates. One or two ended in Max getting countered and getting taken down despite being in tremendous position at the very beginning. Once the ankle grabbing and rolling around starts, Max isnt converting well right now. Once he can keep the kids off his ankle, he will be a really, really tough out. In some matches, his leg attacks are less frequent - I am guessing because he has lost confidence in his ability to convert a great shot into a successful takedown.

My only concern with him is that he is on his 3rd high school in 3 years. In fact he might be the only kid on the team at this high school.

If he’s on Cornell’s radar, I’m not concerned at all. Not that Iowa and OSU are slouches either but Ivy is Ivy.

His leg shots are still there. He was in on the Indiana kid’s legs about 7 or 8 times, but he only converted on one of them. All others, the kid got to one of his ankles and they ended up rolling around for a while. Most ended in stalemates. One or two ended in Max getting countered and getting taken down despite being in tremendous position at the very beginning. Once the ankle grabbing and rolling around starts, Max isnt converting well right now. Once he can keep the kids off his ankle, he will be a really, really tough out. In some matches, his leg attacks are less frequent - I am guessing because he has lost confidence in his ability to convert a great shot into a successful takedown.

^ This. On the FRL right after the Indiana dual, Flo was saying Murin has not been offensive or attacking recently. He was in on that kid's legs the entire first and second period, just never finished hit shots.

Reactions: Jackhawk87

Saw that ... fr year at one school, soph at a different school, and now as jr at his 3rd. Not sure what the story is on that.

I'm talking in general not just the last match. His activity level and finishes were looking a lot better last summer. Other guys not being able to funk to their back to avoid TDs in FS probably a lot to do with it.

Reactions: Jackhawk87
I forgot about him. Tore ligaments in his ankle in early 2017, missed the rest of the season and haven’t heard a word since. Anybody know if his wrestling career is over or if he landed somewhere?

Billy Murphy....great recollection, and yes from California. If memory serves, grades were an issue and he transferred to Iowa Central for a year. He was touted as the next great thing.....I believe he gave MMA a go, but had the same results as he did wrestling at Iowa

Danny Murphy is/was from Colorado, never saw a varsity match, but was a damn good wrestler

Luke Troy is/was never to be heard of again and I am not close enough to the staff to know why

What ever happened to Meija? I legitimately have no clue.....internet lore says grades were always an issue, but that is just gossip

Reactions: Herkuleez5
Vasquez gets a td 15 seconds in. Bottom guy gets 2 stall warnings. 3-0 end of 1. Opponent chooses neutral, Vasquez quick td, gets a half Nelson in and turns him for the pin. Very high paced and aggressive on top

Reactions: MSeil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT