ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Lineup and Expectation

Who's everyone? Bo always had the length to go 197, he hadn't lost a match in more than two years, and he went through the competition at 184 his junior year like a hot knife through butter. The only 197er I thought could possibly give Nickal a go was Moore, and Bo beat him handily in the finals. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one who penciled Bo in as the champ at 197 his senior year.
The day he announced his move, he was ranked #1 at 197. Not sure many questioned his ability to adapt. Maybe wishful thinking...

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I don’t see Haines or kerk losing but yes I think the extra match is possible at 149.

I think we will see some bonus points because of the new rule changes . Depends how the refs call it in the mat.
I'm with you...Levi and Kerk just look too good. Hope Big Tony comes up with a new game plan that works!

The best lineup is Caliendo 165 Kennedy 174 Brands 184 . Assad has an ORS available. Franklin/Glazier can go 1st semester at 197 then AJ 197 2nd semester That's the best scoring team at NCAA's. And maybe Assad decides he doesn't want to ORS and he goes 197 1st semester if he's not the 184. Tons of moving parts from 165-197
I don't have the insight like most of the folks on here, but Brands at 84 was horrible to watch and Kennedy doesn't look big enough to go 74, at least from what I saw last year. I think what you provided as the best would be questionable based on what I've seen. Caliendo looks shredded; can he go 74? Would love to see both he and PK in there, but also was impressed with the way Brands looked in March. Give that man some offense and he could make things interesting.

The ONE guy is a REAL 197 whilst the other is a short small 184. the great Krailure will certainly have him on the special F*** st stuff. Even so, he will be small for 197 and AJ is HUGE for the weight!

NOTE; Funny how the F*** st guys can go up weights but IOWAs never can???
I've been impressed by Brooks but I don't think he's Bo (aside from their NCAA championships). And like some have said, I think Brooks going to 197 could make things interesting. Also, like at least one other poster I saw; I thought for sure Bo would be able to glide to a championship when he went up to 97. I definitely don't feel the same about Brooks. I'd love to see AJ come in the second semester and at least make things interesting!

I don't have the insight like most of the folks on here, but Brands at 84 was horrible to watch and Kennedy doesn't look big enough to go 74, at least from what I saw last year. I think what you provided as the best would be questionable based on what I've seen. Caliendo looks shredded; can he go 74? Would love to see both he and PK in there, but also was impressed with the way Brands looked in March. Give that man some offense and he could make things interesting.
Caliendo made 165 for certs according to track so him being a 174 isn't happening. My opinion is 165 Caliendo 174 PK 184 Brands scores more at NCAA's then 165 Caliendo/PK 174 Brands 184 Assad. 184 is Keck Munoz Bernie Plott Feldcamp

Reactions: eb05
when the bull,spencer,kem,jwar, murin, desanto and teasdale all went iowa i said now we will see what tom can do with better wrestlers. i admit it was not as much as most of us hoped,but those guys scraped and represented most of them are great hawkeyes.if you can't support your team when they don't win it all there's room on that pst train. it is not my style to call for someone's job and i do not have a crystal ball to tell me who the can't miss coach would be,neither do any of you experts. i do like our guys,they chose iowa.
Two titles is pretty dang good

I've been impressed by Brooks but I don't think he's Bo (aside from their NCAA championships). And like some have said, I think Brooks going to 197 could make things interesting. Also, like at least one other poster I saw; I thought for sure Bo would be able to glide to a championship when he went up to 97. I definitely don't feel the same about Brooks. I'd love to see AJ come in the second semester and at least make things interesting!
Keep in mind Brooks is moving up because he was cutting a lot at 184, not to make room in the lineup. He will not be small at that weight and I don't see anyone with his combination of technical skills and speed. I'd be surprised if he doesn't dominate the weight.

Sure it doesn't but those guys put in the work. Can you say the same for Spencer? Pretty sure he couldn't practice over half his career. I'd take the bet that all the Ferrari boys are always ready to perform.
no, you can't say the same for spencer

there is a huge difference between a guy who competes, but has to scale back training because of injuries and a guy who hasn't competed in about 30 months (as of now) but has been trains a lot

Keep in mind Brooks is moving up because he was cutting a lot at 184, not to make room in the lineup. He will not be small at that weight and I don't see anyone with his combination of technical skills and speed. I'd be surprised if he doesn't dominate the weight.
Didn't brooks lose last year? He does not have the typical frame of a 197! These guys are usually the football LB type guys. Guessing 6 foot or better. Babbling is nowhere near the size. Again, not seeing any posts from F*** st fans where you usually see their crap like on FB???

I remember clearly seeing guys like cassarSalad when he gained the 40 pounds miraculously! IF Babbling looks all puffed up too, I guess we will know he did indeed move up. Might have to scramble back down, as I bet he certifies at 184!

Didn't brooks lose last year? He does not have the typical frame of a 197! These guys are usually the football LB type guys. Guessing 6 foot or better. Babbling is nowhere near the size. Again, not seeing any posts from F*** st fans where you usually see their crap like on FB???

I remember clearly seeing guys like cassarSalad when he gained the 40 pounds miraculously! IF Babbling looks all puffed up too, I guess we will know he did indeed move up. Might have to scramble back down, as I bet he certifies at 184!

No. All you had to do was see him at the Open and see he is every bit a 197. From what i'm hearing, its possible he's not long for 86.

Brooks is every bit of 6ft tall. He won't certify at anything other than 197.

Reactions: Hawkgma

[/QUOTE

Hate to burst anyone’s bubble here but Brooks is going to be a killer at 197. Might as well get expectations aligned now. a few guys in their room made the 84 to 97 transition well to say the least.

Not to crap on your rant about the “Lab”, but Iowa is now using the same training program from the Lab. Guess we will see the results

Not to crap on your rant about the “Lab”, but Iowa is now using the same training program from the Lab. Guess we will see the results

He's a mouth breather so he immediately thinks steriods.

Anyway...tell us more about your comment regarding a new training program at Iowa. First I'm hearing of it. Where did it originate, who leads it, etc.

Can you (or someone) explain this a little more? I have heard Iowa's training needed to be changed I just have not heard that it has.

Reactions: moug

Anyway...tell us more about your comment regarding a new training program at Iowa. First I'm hearing of it. Where did it originate, who leads it, etc.
I know at the HWC trap shoot Terry was talking about how they now have monitors on all the athletes to measure different parameters that allows them to see if an athlete is sick or overworked or just thinks they're overworked and can go harder.. not sure if this is what Zoe is referring to or not.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I can't disagree with you my friend. Brooks has the hardware so I won't think about questioning his skills or abilities; I've just never seen it on display at 97.

Caliendo made 165 for certs according to track so him being a 174 isn't happening. My opinion is 165 Caliendo 174 PK 184 Brands scores more at NCAA's then 165 Caliendo/PK 174 Brands 184 Assad. 184 is Keck Munoz Bernie Plott Feldcamp
I don't know, my friend. The Brands I saw at 84 isn't scoring many points at NCAAs so I think him and Assad are a draw at best, and I''d even give the edge to Assad because of the weight Brands is giving up. And I think 74 Brands scores more than a 74 PK, so now it's down to 65. And I'm of the opinion that PK is going to beat Caliendo for the position. So from my foxhole PK, Brands, Assad is the best lineup based on what I'm seeing.

I can't disagree with you my friend. Brooks has the hardware so I won't think about questioning his skills or abilities; I've just never seen it on display at 97.
You made the mistake of not saying something 100percent glowing about a PSU wrestler. Now all of the PSUers will be here to defend.

• Haha
Reactions: MSU158 and Grip220
I don't know, my friend. The Brands I saw at 84 isn't scoring many points at NCAAs so I think him and Assad are a draw at best, and I''d even give the edge to Assad because of the weight Brands is giving up. And I think 74 Brands scores more than a 74 PK, so now it's down to 65. And I'm of the opinion that PK is going to beat Caliendo for the position. So from my foxhole PK, Brands, Assad is the best lineup based on what I'm seeing.
The good thing is we have the depth to let them figure it out on the mat. No one can hide 157-184 this year. I’m happy about that.

No. All you had to do was see him at the Open and see he is every bit a 197. From what i'm hearing, its possible he's not long for 86.

What?? Every bit of 6 foot? No chance! In fact please check out the link below and the discussion with a known - and legit - PSU poster. If you go to the link there's a picture of Star standing next to Brooks for their NCAA championship photo. If Brooks is every bit of 6 foot than Star is at least 6'2"...and we know that aint the case. Please don't post nonsense. We can have great discussions without adding BS to the mix.

82bordeaux

Posted March 20 (edited)
He's a little shorter than me so i would guess 5'10". He is not cutting weight to a higher than average degree. He wants to go 74KG at the Olympic Trials next year.
Brooks is probably 5'9". he's very thick in the torso.
Edited March 20 by 82bordeaux

The good thing is we have the depth to let them figure it out on the mat. No one can hide 157-184 this year. I’m happy about that.
I"m with you brother! Hopefully the competition will stir some offensive blood and we'll see some fricking action on the mat at these weights. I really miss Kem and can't wait for more like him. I want to see some action!! :)

Reactions: HawkFan1986

Would love to hear more about this as others have said!

You talk too much SHEET!!!
What?? Every bit of 6 foot? No chance! In fact please check out the link below and the discussion with a known - and legit - PSU poster. If you go to the link there's a picture of Star standing next to Brooks for their NCAA championship photo. If Brooks is every bit of 6 foot than Star is at least 6'2"...and we know that aint the case. Please don't post nonsense. We can have great discussions without adding BS to the mix.

82bordeaux

Posted March 20 (edited)
He's a little shorter than me so i would guess 5'10". He is not cutting weight to a higher than average degree. He wants to go 74KG at the Olympic Trials next year.
Brooks is probably 5'9". he's very thick in the torso.
Edited March 20 by 82bordeaux

Thank you! Call it as I see it. I now understand some do not like facts and want to live in lala land all the time.

I am not saying Babbling isn't great. What I am saying is, if someone who is 5"9' can win 197. Then 197 is not as good as we think! I mean I think of someone like Cox. Babbling might be great but how would he do against Cox? Just not seeing it and AJ is every bit as big as Cox was in college!!!

Last edited:

Thank you! Call it as I see it. I now understand some do not like facts and want to live in lala land all the time.

I am not saying Babbling isn't great. What I am saying is, if someone who is 5"9' can win 197. Then 197 is not as good as we think! I mean I think of someone like Cox. Babbling might be great but how would he do against Cox? Just not seeing it and AJ is every bit as big as Cox was in college!!!
See Grip’s post above about the new training

Definitely one of the more interesting threads ….

A few year back when max dean went on to win the title at 197 I distinctly remember the announcers saying he was small for 197 . Course I’m old and maybe I’m not remembering correctly .

He lost twice to Silas Allred last year who seemed to me to be the same size . So I checked and the internet in a few places has both of them at 5-10 .

You can also find links to brooks being 5-9 .

No damn clue if any or all of that is accurate

without thinking it thru I find it interesting brooks didn’t go 197 when dean was there. I thought I heard in some broadcast he went up because of his Olympic aspirations not to make room for truax.

I’m surprised everyone seems so hung up on the height aspect though , then again I’m no d1 athlete . I always liked it when my opponent was taller , what bothered me was when their reach was longer.

And just for reference the average size of a line backer entering the nfl is 6-2 and 240 . Again stole that from the internet so take it for what it’s worth. I wouldn’t think it’s too far off.

I guess I posted because I’m curious how much height really matters .

And truax is 6-1 …

I concur. I love Brooks (as far as his chance to 4-peat) at 84 but not at 97. Not saying he won't win, but I could see guys giving him a challenge, A guy who I think could pull the shocker is Tanner Sloan. He's hit and miss and often leaves me scratching my head, but I think he has the potential to shock about anyone. I'm looking forward to seeing how Brooks looks on the mat with the added size on his frame. I wouldn't bet against him but think he has more of a potential to lose at 97 than he ever did at 84...

I think Kennedy and Brands are too small for this lineup to be effective at nationals. Brands at 174 would be better in this scenario. Kennedy already looked smallish at 165 (I know, he’s big boned). And let’s not string Assad’s eligibility out any further..
But…. We like our guys. It always leaves me scratching my head when folks around here want to string marginal guys’ eligibility out with redshirts rather than bring in new blood with more potential.

<<So are our suspended people available to compete of not?>>

As of right now--NO but likely to get a ruling yet today.

<<first dual is a week and a half away. are wrestle offs happening or what?>>

Typically they have intra squad matches-- Our coaches dont use the term wrestleoffs because the results dont maen a starting spot--its one measure.

I concur. I love Brooks (as far as his chance to 4-peat) at 84 but not at 97. Not saying he won't win, but I could see guys giving him a challenge, A guy who I think could pull the shocker is Tanner Sloan. He's hit and miss and often leaves me scratching my head, but I think he has the potential to shock about anyone. I'm looking forward to seeing how Brooks looks on the mat with the added size on his frame. I wouldn't bet against him but think he has more of a potential to lose at 97 than he ever did at 84...
Think Nickal vs. Dean.
Now Brooks.
He’ll be fine.

Yes IB i think by coleman of ISU at natty duals. Colman caught him for six with a lil lat drop early. I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT