ADVERTISEMENT

3 guard lineup=huge improvement

Pryce Sandford has the arms of an esports player. You aren't Durant. What are you doing son

I mean Krikke is averaging 18 points a game on 60% shooting and some of you want to sit him? I mean cmon. He’s not great on defense but honestly nobody is on this team. Nobody. As @RocknRollface says this roster composition is interesting at best. But I’ve got to disagree about Krikke playing 10-15 minutes. That’s crazy. Pat Mac should be the odd man out at this point. It’s clear there’s something going on
Krikke offers no resistance at the basket and doesn't rebound, he's basically a second slower version of Patrick in that end.

Hes got a role but there's no way it should be as the starting 5.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
As long as he is able, there is no way in hell Pmac sits. You know it. I know it. Everyone on this forum knows it.

I don't know if Harding is the answer at point today. His shooting is terrible and his size makes him very easy for bigger guards to shoot and rebound over. Something Iowa struggles with already. I wish Perkins was more consistent but he's the same guy he was last year. A big hit or a big miss. You put Harding, Perkins and Bowen on the floor together and too often that's a 4-16 shooting night out of those three.
I'll take that chance every time because playing 3 guards is the only chance this group has of a respectable record.

Keep playing half the game with three small slow 4s together and the blowouts wil just keep piling up.

Reactions: Buffalo43
Living down in KC we get a lot of Bill Self coverage. He is a huge advocate for the more guards the better. Their roster carries 1 center in Hunter, 3 Forwarded and the rest are guards... Frans seems to run a lot of hybrid Forwards out there and it just not working... what 5 guys in the rotation that are 6'8 and above? And on the court together times....
Fran seems enamored with the 6’7”/6’8” guys who can shoot and handle the ball but aren’t physical and don’t rebound or defend.
I mean Krikke is averaging 18 points a game on 60% shooting and some of you want to sit him? I mean cmon. He’s not great on defense but honestly nobody is on this team. Nobody. As @RocknRollface says this roster composition is interesting at best. But I’ve got to disagree about Krikke playing 10-15 minutes. That’s crazy. Pat Mac should be the odd man out at this point. It’s clear there’s something going on
Krikke is also averaging about 3 rebounds a game over 30 minutes and he’s not doing nearly that well scoring against good competition.

I don’t think Bowen is a true PG, more of a slasher. Reminds me of Pierre Pierce, he can get to the basket in two dribbles.

PMac isn’t getting that many minutes even though he starts. 17 minutes against ISU.

Reactions: Buffalo43
Fran seems enamored with the 6’7”/6’8” guys who can shoot and handle the ball but aren’t physical and don’t rebound or defend.

Krikke is also averaging about 3 rebounds a game over 30 minutes and he’s not doing nearly that well scoring against good competition.

I don’t think Bowen is a true PG, more of a slasher. Reminds me of Pierre Pierce, he can get to the basket in two dribbles.

PMac isn’t getting that many minutes even though he starts. 17 minutes against ISU.
PMac is still averaging the 3rd most minutes on the team (26mpg). That game was an anomaly, not the norm.

If Bowen isn't a point guard then he doesn't have a position. He has the handles of a point and certainly doesn't shoot like a wing. IMO he and Harding are the only true point guards on the team.

Krikke is an excellent scorer but as you stated a horrible rebounder for a 4/5 averaging only 6.5 rebounds per 40 minutes of play. Compare that to Sandfort and Freeman who are at 11.9 and 10.3 respectively. Even Perkins rebounds at a higher rate than both Krikke and Pmac. Inserting Freeman in place of Pmac helps your rebounding and interior defense at a minimum. I think Fran had the right idea trying Dix at ISU, but for the first time in an Iowa uniform he looked really rattled. I still see the best lineup from both an offensive and defensive perspective to be Krikke, Freeman, Sandfort, Dix, and either Bowen or Perkins at the point.

Probably my lineup of preference currently would be:
Freeman
Krikke
Sandfort
Bowen at point with Harding as his backup along with Perkins at 2. Mix in Dix at 2 and 3.
Brauns subbing for big men. Spot duty for PMac.

Reactions: unclesammy
Other problem is Fran was able to get away with his 4 Freshmen and Dix off the bench against SWAC teams but that won’t work against real teams. We don’t have a backup shooting guard, we don’t have a backup 3 that can shoot and at this point I’m not sure what you’d call PMac and his replacement. It’s ugly.

Other problem is Fran was able to get away with his 4 Freshmen and Dix off the bench against SWAC teams but that won’t work against real teams. We don’t have a backup shooting guard, we don’t have a backup 3 that can shoot and at this point I’m not sure what you’d call PMac and his replacement. It’s ugly.
He doesn't have to play 11 guys.

My top 8 would be

1. Bowen/Harding
2. Dix
3. Perkins
4 Sandfort/ Krikke
5.Freeman /Brauns

You shuffle the 4 guards around in a rotation.

Yeah I'm aware Frans probably not going to change anything because winning isn't top priority for him.

He doesn't have to play 11 guys.

My top 8 would be

1. Bowen/Harding
2. Dix
3. Perkins
4 Sandfort/ Krikke
5.Freeman /Brauns

You shuffle the 4 guards around in a rotation.

Yeah I'm aware Frans probably not going to change anything because winning isn't top priority for him.
Agree these should be the guys on the floor.

PMac is still averaging the 3rd most minutes on the team (26mpg). That game was an anomaly, not the norm.

If Bowen isn't a point guard then he doesn't have a position. He has the handles of a point and certainly doesn't shoot like a wing. IMO he and Harding are the only true point guards on the team.

Krikke is an excellent scorer but as you stated a horrible rebounder for a 4/5 averaging only 6.5 rebounds per 40 minutes of play. Compare that to Sandfort and Freeman who are at 11.9 and 10.3 respectively. Even Perkins rebounds at a higher rate than both Krikke and Pmac. Inserting Freeman in place of Pmac helps your rebounding and interior defense at a minimum. I think Fran had the right idea trying Dix at ISU, but for the first time in an Iowa uniform he looked really rattled. I still see the best lineup from both an offensive and defensive perspective to be Krikke, Freeman, Sandfort, Dix, and either Bowen or Perkins at the point.
Reducing the ability to handle ball pressure against a team that reaches and slapps all game was not a great idea.

Dix isn't a 1, Perkins is absolutely not a 1 and Bowen is really not a 1 either but he can handle well enough. The PP comp was actually pretty good, I'd say Chauncy Leslie too. Both of them played along side Horner.

Harding is the only real 1 on the team but it's going to take him half a season to figure out what he can't get away with at this level and eliminate that stuff.

I agree a with a lot if what you‘re saying. But I think a front line of Sandfort Krikke and Freeman is just way too slow to defend.

I think PMacs minutes have been trending down considerably, but I’d have to double check.

A guy like Bowen has a place as a slasher if you have enough other guys that can shoot. Dix is a shooter as is Sandfort. Perkins is less reliable but has a good midrange shot. I’d start those 4 with Freeman. It would almost be a 4 guard lineup. You’d have great ball handling, optimal defense and Sandfort isn’t a bad rebounder either.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I agree a with a lot if what you‘re saying. But I think a front line of Sandfort Krikke and Freeman is just way too slow to defend.

I think PMacs minutes have been trending down considerably, but I’d have to double check.

A guy like Bowen has a place as a slasher if you have enough other guys that can shoot. Dix is a shooter as is Sandfort. Perkins is less reliable but has a good midrange shot. I’d start those 4 with Freeman. It would almost be a 4 guard lineup. You’d have great ball handling, optimal defense and Sandfort isn’t a bad rebounder either.
Yes, penetration opens up easier shot opportunities for the guys that should be taking them.

And offensive rebounding is probably the best way to get open 3s.

Having shooters on the floor that can't get open and don't rebound well isn't that effective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT