ADVERTISEMENT

3 guard lineup=huge improvement

RocknRollface

HR Legend
Dec 21, 2011
The current starting front line is a terrible mix of 3 unathletic guys who should all be at the 4 spot.

For a little stretch in the second half Iowa actually looked like a real college basketball team with Bowen, Dix, Harding, Sandfort and Freeman.

The floor opened up, they starting getting in the lane, the shots improved and the defense improved.

I've been beating the drum for Bowen all season and it should now be obvious why.

Ive also been beating the drum for Dix starting at the 2/3 with Perkins.

Multiple ballhandlers on the court is how you do college basketball. Not slow gangly weaklings.

Get your head our of your ass Francis. You have the elements of a decent team if you just stop playing favorites.

The current starting front line is a terrible mix of 3 unathletic guys who should all be at the 4 spot.

For a little stretch in the second half Iowa actually looked like a real college basketball team with Bowen, Dix, Harding, Sandfort and Freeman.

The floor opened up, they starting getting in the lane, the shots improved and the defense improved.

I've been beating the drum for Bowen all season and it should now be obvious why.

Multiple ballhandlers on the court is how you do college basketball. Not slow gangly weaklings.

Get your head our of your ass Francis. You have the elements of a decent team if you just stop playing favorites.
It’s absolutely hilarious to me that fran had the confidence in dix to start him (which i also laughed at bc of who he replaced and him playing out of position)…but as soon as he makes some mistakes, which i saw coming bc again playing out of position, he’s pulled for the next 25 minutes of the game. Is there another coach in the land that would do that to his “starting pg”? 🤣

That lineup won't work either, other then Freeman no one else can rebound or guard anyone. Admit Fran screwed up with this roster, only picking up 2 players last year while holding a scholarship open and then still has one scholarship open this year, I'm already over Krikke, Patrick, against athletic teams neither one of them are worth a crap and Pryce all he can do is throw up 3's with his eyes closed.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
It’s absolutely hilarious to me that fran had the confidence in dix to start him (which i also laughed at bc of who he replaced and him playing out of position)…but as soon as he makes some mistakes, which i saw coming bc again playing out of position, he’s pulled for the next 25 minutes of the game. Is there another coach in the land that would do that to his “starting pg”? 🤣
I have no clue what Fran was thinking there.

Against a handsy ball pressure team he decreased the ball handlers he had on the court to start both halves?

Dix is a good ballhandler...for a 2, Perkins is not a good ballhandler but he's good enough as a 3rd guard.

He just refuses to acknowledge the reality of the obvious best solution.

A) Of course the current starting lineup is about the worst combination one can come up with.
B) your lineup might be the best option, but I don't think it is going to win a lot of games either.
C) Any lineup without PMAC violates Frans rule that his DNA needs to be out on the court as much as possible.

Krikke is a huge liability on defense and rebounding. Him and Brauns each got 3 rebounds tonight, but it only took Brauns 5 minutes and Krikke 28. The only two guys who should be playing center are Freeman and Brauns.

Agree that we are better off with a 3 guard team right now. Rotate Bowen, Perkins, Dix and Harding. We need better ball handling and defensive pressure.

The starting guard situation is always a mystery to me. One guard will always get the start and then sit the half after the first media timeout. It's crazy.

I didn't get to watch the game but I'm fine with that lineup. Get Perkins in as another who can create his shot.

Krikke is a huge liability on defense and rebounding. Him and Brauns each got 3 rebounds tonight, but it only took Brauns 5 minutes and Krikke 28. The only two guys who should be playing center are Freeman and Brauns.

Agree that we are better off with a 3 guard team right now. Rotate Bowen, Perkins, Dix and Harding. We need better ball handling and defensive pressure.
Krikke should be a 10-15 minute a game sub who comes in when the offense is struggling.

Sometimes more or less minutes depending on matchups.

He can't be the starting 5 playing 25 minutes if we're trying to compete in the big10.

I agree, would rather see Brauns backing up Freeman. He needs to get more minutes to acclimate to this level, he's got the physical attributes.

He doesn’t know what a ph looks like.

Yes, I think Fran has to commit to playing defense and rebounding in the post...Freeman 1st, Braun 2nd and you can throw in some Dimbele.

Krikke is getting torched in post. I'm not sure he's much better defending at PF. We've got three players Krikke, Pmac, Sandfort that if they are not hitting shots, they're giving up a lot more points than they are scoring. I do think Sandfort is best rebounder/effort guy of those 3.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The starting guard situation is always a mystery to me. One guard will always get the start and then sit the half after the first media timeout. It's crazy.

I didn't get to watch the game but I'm fine with that lineup. Get Perkins in as another who can create his shot.
You’re so lucky! Watching Iowa basketball makes my eyes bleed!

Reactions: Slim45
Starting lineup not that important, it it who gets most PT and that will vary depending on matchups and how individual player playing that night. Freeman has to play more, best rebounder and 5, Krikke will be liability against most B10 centers. Krikke more of a 4 but not really a stretch 4 that works best in Fran's system. I know Dembele has not shown much yet but would like to see him more, has more potential than Braun. Young Sandfort seems little overmatched and lost, maybe take him out of rotation. Like Dix, but not PG and have no issues with him coming off bench. I would still go with Bowen, Perkins, Sandfort, McCaffery, Krikke starting lineup but with a lot of Freeman (starter minutes), and Dembele, Dix, and Harding off bench.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Krikke is a perfect player for the Fran system. All offense, soft and useless on D.

Smaller lineup, more guards getting more minutes in the rotation. P. Sandfort gets plenty of minutes because he can hit shots when hot. I don't like him anywhere on D because he gets beat due to lack of quickness on the perimeter or overwhelmed by strength and leaping ability in in the post. But, that's always going to be the trade off with him. Clearly Freeman at the 5, with Krikke backing up for 15 minutes and Brauns for spot duty. More Dembele.

Despite how awful they've looked in the past 2 games, there are wins ahead to be had. The B1G is not loaded with good teams. It's full of mediocrity. An upper half finish sounds ridiculous to bring up now, but it's not impossible given who they're competing against. It's not inconceivable that there will be a 2-3 game difference in league record between 6th and 10th when it's all said and done.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Krikke is a perfect player for the Fran system. All offense, soft and useless on D.

Smaller lineup, more guards getting more minutes in the rotation. P. Sandfort gets plenty of minutes because he can hit shots when hot. I don't like him anywhere on D because he gets beat due to lack of quickness on the perimeter or overwhelmed by strength and leaping ability in in the post. But, that's always going to be the trade off with him. Clearly Freeman at the 5, with Krikke backing up for 15 minutes and Brauns for spot duty. More Dembele.

Despite how awful they've looked in the past 2 games, there are wins ahead to be had. The B1G is not loaded with good teams. It's full of mediocrity. An upper half finish sounds ridiculous to bring up now, but it's not impossible given who they're competing against. It's not inconceivable that there will be a 2-3 game difference in league record between 6th and 10th when it's all said and done.
Precisely. The Big is so bad we can still finish in the top 3rd and be a bubble team. But we need to reconfigure our minutes and find someone with some mental toughness to lead this team.

What little we've seen of Brauns, I really like. He defends and he rebounds.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Precisely. The Big is so bad we can still finish in the top 3rd and be a bubble team. But we need to reconfigure our minutes and find someone with some mental toughness to lead this team.

Top 3rd would be top 5. Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Indiana. That’s seven. Which three will Iowa beat out to be top third? I expect Maryland to come around at some point, too. Michigan doesn’t play defense. Rutgers is hard to beat at their place but don’t appear overly talented. Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota seem to be behind.

Top 3rd would be top 5. Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Indiana. That’s seven. Which three will Iowa beat out to be top third? I expect Maryland to come around at some point, too. Michigan doesn’t play defense. Rutgers is hard to beat at their place but don’t appear overly talented. Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota seem to be behind.
I'd set sights a little lower. 6th or 7th.
But, there may only be a game or two separating many of those spots in the middle of the league.

Just looking at last year's B1G men's b-ball standings. 5th place maryland at 11-9 and 12th place nebraska at 9-11.

Reactions: NI hawk
Notice I said “can.” I’m not predicting top 3rd but I think it’s very premature to rule it out. If I were predicting I’d say somewhere between 8-12th place.

Starting lineup not that important, it it who gets most PT and that will vary depending on matchups and how individual player playing that night. Freeman has to play more, best rebounder and 5, Krikke will be liability against most B10 centers. Krikke more of a 4 but not really a stretch 4 that works best in Fran's system. I know Dembele has not shown much yet but would like to see him more, has more potential than Braun. Young Sandfort seems little overmatched and lost, maybe take him out of rotation. Like Dix, but not PG and have no issues with him coming off bench. I would still go with Bowen, Perkins, Sandfort, McCaffery, Krikke starting lineup but with a lot of Freeman (starter minutes), and Dembele, Dix, and Harding off bench.
THis is just silly. Especially at the start of a game. No one wants a slow start because they are bringing in better players later.

Living down in KC we get a lot of Bill Self coverage. He is a huge advocate for the more guards the better. Their roster carries 1 center in Hunter, 3 Forwarded and the rest are guards... Frans seems to run a lot of hybrid Forwards out there and it just not working... what 5 guys in the rotation that are 6'8 and above? And on the court together times....

Hence Brauns will never play when it matters

You guys are going to pimp slap us, hard.

As long as he is able, there is no way in hell Pmac sits. You know it. I know it. Everyone on this forum knows it.

I don't know if Harding is the answer at point today. His shooting is terrible and his size makes him very easy for bigger guards to shoot and rebound over. Something Iowa struggles with already. I wish Perkins was more consistent but he's the same guy he was last year. A big hit or a big miss. You put Harding, Perkins and Bowen on the floor together and too often that's a 4-16 shooting night out of those three.

I mean Krikke is averaging 18 points a game on 60% shooting and some of you want to sit him? I mean cmon. He’s not great on defense but honestly nobody is on this team. Nobody. As @RocknRollface says this roster composition is interesting at best. But I’ve got to disagree about Krikke playing 10-15 minutes. That’s crazy. Pat Mac should be the odd man out at this point. It’s clear there’s something going on

Reactions: goodbyebobby
I mean Krikke is averaging 18 points a game on 60% shooting and some of you want to sit him? I mean cmon. He’s not great on defense but honestly nobody is on this team. Nobody. As @RocknRollface says this roster composition is interesting at best. But I’ve got to disagree about Krikke playing 10-15 minutes. That’s crazy. Pat Mac should be the odd man out at this point. It’s clear there’s something going on
Yes. He and Freeman need to play together, a lot.

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT