ADVERTISEMENT

$400,000 / Year + a Car

NIL deals should not be given until they are on campus, and have played. A majority of these guys won't earn the money. They just won't pan out... Then the guys that do, won't get a good enough deal, because the money is gone.

Then, what happens to the athletic department's coffers?? That money is going to the players. How do facilities get updated? What a mess.
Starting fighting title 9 and give the money to the players that earn it...

I don't want to make this political but given all we have heard about for years is healthcare reform at what point is someone going to ask the question if NIL is proper for health care companies.

I think the same thing of Rocket Mortgage. Would my interest rate be lower if they were not paying MSU players?

Insurance, banking, healthcare are highly regulated industries, will the oversight groups get involved soon?

Big can of worms will open at some point.
Were you whining about all the pro athlete commercials? This chump change vs that....

The thing is hes not even a great player. What would Kris Murray command at Miami? How does it work if a kid is an overachiever does he hold out for a raise midseason? Cant risk an injury before they transfer. Agents going to be working the Jr. high now.
1st team all conf and not even good huh?

This is insane. And it will hurt teams IMO. Can you tell me there’s no animosity with the guards already on that team that Have been playing there a couple years and aren’t getting squat? They’re bitter for sure.

Owen Freeman, the 2023 center, has verbally committed. I think we are fine w/ him.

Makes you wonder, however, if Pryce Sandfort and some of these other 2023 kids Fran is after will be offered some decent NIL deals. Not sure how Fran will respond if the kid says, "well, coach, the U of X is offering this, and it's kinda hard to say 'no' to that."

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
Spot on . College sports as we know them are toast.
I recommend watching the pros at this point. Middle of the road teams like the Hawks won’t be able to compete for the top recruits. Anyone who develops into a good player will transfer out to where the money is…goodbye college game. Nice knowing you

When you wrote "middle of the road teams like the Hawks" I thought you meant the Atlanta Hawks. LOL

People bitch already that Fran can't win recruiting battles but he won the battle for Owen Freeman (Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and others all were after him). Hopefully no one comes in with an NIL deal where he second guesses things.

And looking ahead to the 2024 Class: Cooper Koch is another one of those top recruits that Iowa is competing for. ESPN has him ranked #58 nationally. In June, Tom Kakert forecasted Cooper to Iowa. But, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Wake Forest and others are after him. Will it take a big NIL deal for Iowa to land him? Hopefully not.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
When you wrote "middle of the road teams like the Hawks" I thought you meant the Atlanta Hawks. LOL

People bitch already that Fran can't win recruiting battles but he won the battle for Owen Freeman (Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and others all were after him). Hopefully no one comes in with an NIL deal where he second guesses things.

And looking ahead to the 2024 Class: Cooper Koch is another one of those top recruits that Iowa is competing for. ESPN has him ranked #58 nationally. In June, Tom Kakert forecasted Cooper to Iowa. But, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Wake Forest and others are after him. Will it take a big NIL deal for Iowa to land him? Hopefully not.

Until they sign, Iowa doesn't "have them"

Coaches have had multi million dollar deals and facilities were basically gold plated….the whole amateur or “student athlete” thing has been a complete joke for quite some time now.

The only people who weren’t cashing in were the players…

A lot of people in this thread are acting like Iowa has no money and is now at a huge disadvantage. Where do we usually land in recruiting rankings? I know donor money isn’t the same as what the athletic department ranks in revenue but I’m guessing our athletic dept revenue is usually top 20 in NCAA, which would be higher than our typical recruiting ranking.

The only people who weren’t cashing in were the players…
Because they are AMATEURS.

$8,000,000 for 2 years to play college basketball is a joke. Most players are gonna get one year of NIL and then it's highway time to the pros.

A college education for athletes doesn't mean squat for the best male players anymore.

Reactions: GOHOX69

$8,000,000 for 2 years to play college basketball is a joke. Most players are gonna get one year of NIL and then it's highway time to the pros.

A college education for athletes doesn't mean squat for the best male players anymore.
“Amateurs” ha! Again, as depressing as it may be the whole amateur charade ended long ago in football and mens basketball.
I actually agree with you. They shouldn’t have to go to college at all. If you want to make it amateur again then there should be a rule that once a player steps on campus they have a four year clock for draft eligibility. If the pros don’t like that they should offer their own development program for players that want to be drafted sooner, instead of college.

The money is not coming from the Universities. It is from private donors who supposedly are getting something in return for linking their names with these players. I hope JBo is happy with his T-shirt cash!
A lot of this money may be cash that would have gone to the school in previous years. Although even $5 million that goes to the players instead of the school isn't going to be a problem for a B1G school.

“Amateurs” ha! Again, as depressing as it may be the whole amateur charade ended long ago in football and mens basketball.
I actually agree with you. They shouldn’t have to go to college at all. If you want to make it amateur again then there should be a rule that once a player steps on campus they have a four year clock for draft eligibility. If the pros don’t like that they should offer their own development program for players that want to be drafted sooner, instead of college.
Yeah. A rough calculation tells me there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 scholarship athletes in football and basketball. The overwhelming majority of those get benefits completely within the rules. IDK, maybe a few hundred get more under the table?

Now, even guys like Spencer Petras can make some NIL cash.

I think that, for the most part, we were still talking about amateur* sports before NIL started.

* In context, the word "amateur" is being used to describe players and teams that were operating within the rules.

Reactions: littlez
When I was in school everyone talked about athletes being banned from working by the NCAA. This was not exactly true, you could work but you had to repay your scholarship out of your wages so it was not worth working. There was some formula with regards to wages and scholarship but I can't remember what the formula was. I think the only way the NCAA can approach NIL is to bring this back in some way.

I think if the NCAA were to say NIL is fine until you make X amount, say the amount of your scholarship, after that you are required to pay back the scholarship amount in full. While this would not impact the $400,000 per year player much it would allow the "regular" players to earn a decent amount ($50,000 a year or so) while keeping their scholarship. In addition the school would not "get back" the scholarship to give to another player after the NIL pays back the money, that athlete still counts as a used scholarship.

The NCAA would also need to impose not just scholarship limits but actual roster limits on teams to eliminate the walk on that gets an NIL deal equal to a scholarship (BYU). While this wouldn't solve all of the issues NIL has presented it will brings us back to where we were 2 years ago which is better than the way things are heading.

Doesn't this create an impossible to manage equity issue for Miami? Ok so you paid some transfer $400k to come in, but your original recruits aren't paid a dime? What is to stop the rest of your starting lineup demanding the same payment or they will transfer. Now you are having to support a 2.5 million dollar bankroll for a starting lineup.

A lot of people in this thread are acting like Iowa has no money and is now at a huge disadvantage. Where do we usually land in recruiting rankings? I know donor money isn’t the same as what the athletic department ranks in revenue but I’m guessing our athletic dept revenue is usually top 20 in NCAA, which would be higher than our typical recruiting ranking.

Iowa has plenty of money flowing in.

the problem is, does Iowa have an NIL Collective ready to go and funded in order to compete in these recruiting battles? To land a 4 star like a Tyler Cook or a Luka Garza, it might take an NIL collective's offer (made up of booster money) to land them. Before, it just took Fran working his ass off on the recruiting trail.

Not all on him. But he got the conversation rolling.

It's now a free for all and Iowa is not going to be able to join the fun.

Actually, Iowa might be able to join in on the fun.

In 2018-2019, Iowa brought in $39 Million in contributions. If some of these donors instead donated to the NIL Collective, then Iowa might be good to go when it comes to making NIL deals/offers to players.

And don't forget; TV money is going to increase, so whatever Iowa loses in contributions (that goes to the NIL Collective) will be replaced by TV money.

This is what USA Today published in July, 2020 on revenues & expenses for Division I schools. This info used to be free; now you have to subscribe to access it.

As you can see below, Iowa was $56,564,000 ahead of the Clowns. Iowa brought in $20M more in contributions.

Total Revenue Rankings:

#1 Texas, $223,880,000
#2 Texas A&M, $212,748,000

The B1G Teams:
#3 Ohio State, $210,548,000

#4 Michigan, $197,820,000
#6 Penn State, $164,529,000
#11 Wisconsin, $157,660,000
#14 Iowa, $151,976,000
#18 Michigan State, $140,011,000
#21 Nebraska, $136,233,000
#24 Minnesota, $130,456,000
#25 Indiana, $127,833,000
#29 Illinois, $118,565,000
#31 Purdue, $110,845,000
#33 Maryland, $108,796,000
#39 Rutgers, $103,251,000 (@MrsScrew )

OTHERS:
#44 Iowa State, $95,412,000

TOTAL 2018-2019 REVENUE & EXPENSES of 227 TEAMS ARE HERE (Subscription required): https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Click on the team to get a breakdown of the REVENUE Total & EXPENSE Total.

For IOWA (as you can see):
$27,179,000--Ticket Sales
$38,627,000--Contributions
$71,006,000--Rights/Licensing
$14,514,000--Other
$.....650,000--Student Fees
$151,976,000 TOTAL REVENUE

For The Clowns (as you can see):
$16,475,000--Ticket Sales
$18,207,000--Contributions
$52,016,000--Rights/Licensing
$06,659,000 --Other
$02,054,000--Student Fees
$95,412,000 TOTAL REVENUE

My 2 biggest concerns with NIL is point shaving and some car dealer getting pissed his paid player blew a game and does something violent.

The big problem is you see the top select getting deals like this and the rest are expecting compensation that isn’t reasonable.

Taking this from a 2nd hand source who knows someone in coaching. Says the frustrating thing is these players with NIL lot don’t want to do the work to promote themselves and make the $ like the murray boys with merchandise etc and instead just want the school and coaches, who technically are at suppose to be involved, do the leg work to get them the easy $.

$800,000

and i agree that these numbers are crazy but probably are going to get crazier

MSP Recovery, LLC and LifeWallet, based in Miami, FL, must have a lot of money to burn. These are health care companies.

It's amazing, isn't it? These players enter the transfer portal and then select the school with the most money to offer.
Maybe it is time to investigate the health care companies?

Reactions: Franisdaman
For paying $400.000 to college athletes. I hope that they are not getting any government money.
They need full scholarships, room and board, all meals, supplements, tutors etc. They are "student athletes." Who cares if Johnny from Pella has to drive Uber to pay bills and study? He'll just take out a big student loan!

They need full scholarships, room and board, all meals, supplements, tutors etc. They are "student athletes." Who cares if Johnny from Pella has to drive Uber to pay bills and study? He'll just take out a big student loan!
I think the ship has sailed for major college sports. Ten years from now it will be unrecognizable.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT