ADVERTISEMENT

$400,000 / Year + a Car

Fans are the ones that ruined it. Runaway sports budgets, coaches salaries and now players. Yet people will pay anything for watching a 18 year old put a ball in a basket. Good times.

Reactions: littlez
Fans are the ones that ruined it. Runaway sports budgets, coaches salaries and now players. Yet people will pay anything for watching a 18 year old put a ball in a basket. Good times.
Don't forget sports media's role. The constant need for content, creates unnecessary drama and adds to the increased demand for a "true" national champion. I'm old, I miss the days of just being happy making the Rose Bowl. Now get off my lawn.

These guys are going to continue playing musical chairs with their hands out until the music stops and some decent players are going to be out in the cold.

This is what some people believe these players deserve. Free education isn't enough. It's going to end up driving away fans. There are plenty of people who think buying players is pathetic.
There are plenty like me who think the salary disparities are asinine.

Reactions: Jcchawk
Looks like he wants some of that drug $ floating around the city of Miami. Say what you will but Fran would say take a hike and I’d appreciate that.
Just helped lead his team to the elite 8 and sounds like he wasn’t getting much and they bring in a guy from a bottom feeder Big 12 team and he gets 400K? Would you be happy?

In another 2-3 years many kids will no longer have to concern themselves with improving their games in hopes of making it to the league for big pay days ….they’ll have already made enough to retire before leaving college.

and if it's truly pay for play, which some people allege, are college athletes amateurs or professional? and should professionals be allowed to play in college?

Ncaa is loving this. For yrs people were arguing that players should be paid because of the amount of $ they were bringing in. So, instead of the ncaa giving in and actually giving the players a piece of the pie they've come up with NIL so that the big donors can pay the players. Genius move on their part, sucks it will destroy any integrity that college athletics had left tho
Seems broke out the gate

You are implying that the NCAA is smart enough to have come up with this plan. They fought it all the way and if they are to have any shred of credibility in the future, they have to step in and try to do something now before this gets completely out of control. Otherwise, just disband and watch amateur athletics go the way of the dinosaurs.
So much talk on here about the NCAA tournament. Will anyone really care about it once it becomes a contest between the schools willing to pay the most for their players? Why not just watch the NBA. At least they have some rules and regulations regarding player acquisition.
Isn’t it already? KU is as dirty as they come, wins the NC, no one cares.

With all these big deals flying around I think college b-ball is in much more trouble than football. 2 guys can make all the difference in basketball. To add to it, teams like Kansas can basically ignore football and put all the NIL money towards b-ball and make it not even remotely fair. A school like Iowa has no chance to compete with a schools like that.

College sports is not longer college sports, but it also isn't pro sports, because kids are still going to class (right?) and everyone isn't getting paid. College sports has morphed into a ugly hybrid.

And, stop blaming the NCAA. The NCAA was formed to make a standard wet of rules for college sports, not this hybrid. It is an enforcement organization, not a rule maker.

The college presidents are going to have to get together and determine what they want college sports to look like and then rebuild from there. The NCAA might be part of the rebuild, or it could be completely overhauled into something different.

Reactions: littlez
With all these big deals flying around I think college b-ball is in much more trouble than football. 2 guys can make all the difference in basketball. To add to it, teams like Kansas can basically ignore football and put all the NIL money towards b-ball and make it not even remotely fair. A school like Iowa has no chance to compete with a schools like that.
Well I thought only Football mattered anyway as a revenue stream? And you're being totally ridiculous here. And Iowa has just as much opportunity to compete on NIL against Kansas. Stop w/the Armeggedon picture here. It's a matter of whether we choose to or not.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Well I thought only Football mattered anyway as a revenue stream? And you're being totally ridiculous here. And Iowa has just as much opportunity to compete on NIL against Kansas. Stop w/the Armeggedon picture here. It's a matter of whether we choose to or not.
You seriously think Iowa can generate enough money to compete with Kansas in basketball after Iowa donors dump most of their money on the football?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT