ADVERTISEMENT

50-20 over last six years.

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Went six years because of covid shortened year and this year not finished yet. Kirk and his staff know how to win. Haven't had a losing season in 12 years. I know the offense is bad but if they score more than 10 and don't turn the ball over, we have a good shot at winning. Defense and special teams has been huge during our run. A lot of game winning field goals.

Went six years because of covid shortened year and this year not finished yet. Kirk and his staff know how to win. Haven't had a losing season in 12 years. I know the offense is bad but if they score more than 10 and don't turn the ball over, we have a good shot at winning. Defense and special teams has been huge during our run. A lot of game winning field goals.
Now take exactly what you said and use, I dont' know...20 as the floor vs 10. Do you think we'd have won more games in that time frame? Do you think our defenses would have been even better with more rest? Do you think we would have won at least one B10 title?

Now imagine us in the East Division. Do you still think we'd be 50-20 over that same time, scoring at leat 10/game?

Now take exactly what you said and use, I dont' know...20 as the floor vs 10. Do you think we'd have won more games in that time frame? Do you think our defenses would have been even better with more rest? Do you think we would have won at least one B10 title?

Now imagine us in the East Division. Do you still think we'd be 50-20 over that same time, scoring at leat 10/game?
To the first paragraph, the odds are we would/will have won a big ten football title (2021 to 2023) with that type of offense.

Our record would be worse, but it's hard to say if playing those big 3 teams every year would've meant all losses or if we would've pulled off a few more upsets.

There were some years in the last 10 where we were just flat out better than Michigan, such as 2020, and they lucked out and got covid before they could play us.

We've played Penn State pretty consistently over the last decade so the results speak for themselves.

Ohio State and Michigan State are the two outliers. We'd definitely have more losses, but who's to say we wouldn't have also snagged a win or two more in some of those years we "avoided" them.......

As for Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers, well I mean is that really any different than playing Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern or Minnesota?.................

I wholeheartedly get the argument behind fans saying we lucked out by being in the West, but I also believe people just throw that out as a blanket statement without any real thought or understanding behind it.

Then you should find it maddening at how historically bad the offense has been. A semi competent OC (perhaps an actual good qb coach) would have made us a likely top 10 team.
The Qb's decisions or lack of has been a major issue. People focus a lot on the oline and OC but a QB coached to take a three step drop, slide up in the pocket and take off when it's not there would make this offense immediately better.
Kirk acts like he has tom brady in the pocket and they should stay there. I was listening to Aaron Rogers earlier this season say that you get three steps, hitch, and if it's not there you should be moving. Our great seasons have come when the qb doesn't play the way kirk wants.

Our record would be worse, but it's hard to say if playing those big 3 teams every year would've meant all losses or if we would've pulled off a few more upsets.

There were some years in the last 10 where we were just flat out better than Michigan, such as 2020, and they lucked out and got covid before they could play us.

We've played Penn State pretty consistently over the last decade so the results speak for themselves.

Ohio State and Michigan State are the two outliers. We'd definitely have more losses, but who's to say we wouldn't have also snagged a win or two more in some of those years we "avoided" them.......

As for Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers, well I mean is that really any different than playing Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern or Minnesota?.................

I wholeheartedly get the argument behind fans saying we lucked out by being in the West, but I also believe people just throw that out as a blanket statement without any real thought or understanding behind it.
I get that, however your example included 5 "crap" teams from the west vs 3 from the east lol!

well said....the people that say our schedule is weak should learn to use google and type strength of schedule.

I get that, however your example included 5 "crap" teams from the west vs 3 from the east lol!

To be fair, outside the last year or two, I’d argue most of the b10 west would have been better most seasons than Indiana/Rutgers/Maryland have been. It’s only been this past year especially that the quality has just fallen off a cliff.

Doesn't matter, HORT will never be happy.

So you are ok with leaving wins and BTCG appearances on the table?

"If they score more than 10 points and don't turn the ball over they have a 'good shot' at winning"? Seriously? Have expectations been lowered that much, that fans are hoping Iowa can score more than 10 points in a game?

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Some posters must have completely forgotten 2001-2019, that tiny little 20-year run, when we were a huge pain in the ass the vast majority of the time against the best teams on our schedule.

Again, I don’t want anything that I haven’t already seen from Iowa Football under KF. If you were to rank every KF team, 2022 & 2023 are in the bottom half, easily.

I am too lazy to look it up but I feel like if you looked back on most years you could blame the D for MAYBE 1 loss a year.

If you agree we are about a 8-4 team on average most years that means you could maybe blame the O for 2/3 losses. Now lets say we have a competent O. We could then with the current D and ST play be a yearly 9-3/10-2 type team. We HAVE to have a competent offense. Hitting the 10-2 mark could put us in the 12 team playoff most years.

We love you sharing your insight Kirk.

The hard facts are that the West is the weaker of the divisions.
BIG titles the past 10 years:
UM 21, 22
OSU 14, 17,18,19,20
WI 11,12
MSU 13,15
PSU 16

West has 2 titles in the past 10 years.

Iowa has an all time edge over MSU 25-22. Since we never had a winning record for 20 years, most of those losses came during that period. We've always played MSU tough. Kirk is 4-5 I believe, though we have outscored them during this period. This means more to some than W's, I guess...

Easily should or could have been 58 or 60 wins, imagine that Gunner if a very good program like Iowa had just and 80th to 70th ranked offense which to me is not to much to ask for. That would have been 60 wins and 10 losses.

I love that they keep winning but Kirk has lost a lot of games they were favored in and probably should have won. The 2010 game at NW is an example of the hawks playing pretty bland on offense and then having a tired pass rush in the 4th qtr due to not rotating players come down to another big comeback by the Cats over a much better Iowa team

• Love
Reactions: ClarindaA's
. The 2010 game at NW is an example of the hawks playing pretty bland on offense and then having a tired pass rush in the 4th qtr due to not rotating players come down to another big comeback by the Cats over a much better Iowa team

You’re forgetting that Iowa was gassed on defense that year cuz they got wracked by injuries. They simply didn’t have the depth to rotate bodies.

You’re forgetting that Iowa was gassed on defense that year cuz they got wracked by injuries. They simply didn’t have the depth to rotate bodies.
Our 2nd string LB’s that year were good enough to start on some P5 teams.

Problem was that they all got hurt too.

Reactions: NI hawk
Well the hawk coaches also decided after that year to start using younger players in spot situations to get them some experience. Drew Ott started playing as a freshman to fill in for injuries and when Ott got hurt it was Parker Hesse that came in to fill in.

This NW game was just one example. In that game NW was in total passing mode and I would say any redshirt or even true freshman or soph who could go in for a couple of plays to speed rush the passer or try to contain the passer would not have hurt the defense.

Last edited:
The hard facts are that the West is the weaker of the divisions.
BIG titles the past 10 years:
UM 21, 22
OSU 14, 17,18,19,20
WI 11,12
MSU 13,15
PSU 16

West has 2 titles in the past 10 years.
That list is more than 10 years and Wisconsin didn’t win as a west team. They were with tOSU and PSU among others.

People raked me over the coals and called me a Nebraska fan (which I am) because I brought this up. Brought it up in jest, of course, but I'm not wrong. You can't just exclude the OC over this historic 6 year run.

FREE BRIAN FERENTZ

That list is more than 10 years and Wisconsin didn’t win as a west team. They were with tOSU and PSU among others.
Oh no it contain 2 additional years just to show the West (albeit it was the heros/legends divisions then) had A team compete...the shame and disgust must be overwhelming.

Some posters must have completely forgotten 2001-2019, that tiny little 20-year run, when we were a huge pain in the ass the vast majority of the time against the best teams on our schedule.

Again, I don’t want anything that I haven’t already seen from Iowa Football under KF. If you were to rank every KF team, 2022 & 2023 are in the bottom half, easily.
my god the revisionist history….

Iowa was really bad 2005-2007. 2010-2014 was another rough stretch where KFs seat was pretty damn warm.

Let’s be honest 2002-2004 and 2008-2009 were the last time Iowa truly had teams that could truly compete on the National scale. 2015 was fun and CJ was a great QB but that team had flaws athletically.

Since 2009 our record against ranked opponents 12-28 and even more telling our record against opponents that ended up ranked by seasons end 5-24 tell the true story.

Let’s call it what it is, over 24 years 6-7 great teams, all but 1 in the first 10 years. 6-7 good teams, 6-7 mediocre teams, 6-7 bad teams.

We haven’t been a pain the ass for over a decade.

what would that record be with an average offense?
I’m not including bowl games;

2022; 10-2
2021; 11-2
2019; 10-2 (We lost to three really good teams, and our offense wasn’t terrible by any means. I DO think that personnel coached by KOK or GD beats one of those teams)
2018; 8-4
2017; 8-4

Not much change in 17 & 18 because those offenses were pretty good, just wildly inconsistent.

Reactions: kwik44
I’m not including bowl games;

2022; 10-2
2021; 11-2
2019; 10-2 (We lost to three really good teams, and our offense wasn’t terrible by any means. I DO think that personnel coached by KOK or GD beats one of those teams)
2018; 8-4
2017; 8-4

Not much change in 17 & 18 because those offenses were pretty good, just wildly inconsistent.
2018 was a huge disappointment.
2017 Iowa was 7-5 in regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT