ADVERTISEMENT

50-20 over last six years.

Went six years because of covid shortened year and this year not finished yet. Kirk and his staff know how to win. Haven't had a losing season in 12 years. I know the offense is bad but if they score more than 10 and don't turn the ball over, we have a good shot at winning. Defense and special teams has been huge during our run. A lot of game winning field goals.
I think more than one thing can be true - this has been a really good run of Iowa football, and also the offense being this bad has cost them some chances at really special seasons and more.

Our record would be worse, but it's hard to say if playing those big 3 teams every year would've meant all losses or if we would've pulled off a few more upsets.

There were some years in the last 10 where we were just flat out better than Michigan, such as 2020, and they lucked out and got covid before they could play us.

We've played Penn State pretty consistently over the last decade so the results speak for themselves.

Ohio State and Michigan State are the two outliers. We'd definitely have more losses, but who's to say we wouldn't have also snagged a win or two more in some of those years we "avoided" them.......

As for Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers, well I mean is that really any different than playing Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern or Minnesota?.................

I wholeheartedly get the argument behind fans saying we lucked out by being in the West, but I also believe people just throw that out as a blanket statement without any real thought or understanding behind it.
Also worth noting that while the West is complete dog crap this year, there have definitely been seasons over the last 5-6 years where the East was very top-heavy with the elite teams at the top and really, really bad teams at the bottom, so it’s possible that the overall record might not have changed that much.

There were plenty of years where, if you ranked the B1G from 1-14, 3 of the top 5 would be from the East, but then maybe 6 of the top 10 might be from the West.

my god the revisionist history….

Iowa was really bad 2005-2007. 2010-2014 was another rough stretch where KFs seat was pretty damn warm.

Let’s be honest 2002-2004 and 2008-2009 were the last time Iowa truly had teams that could truly compete on the National scale. 2015 was fun and CJ was a great QB but that team had flaws athletically.

Since 2009 our record against ranked opponents 12-28 and even more telling our record against opponents that ended up ranked by seasons end 5-24 tell the true story.

Let’s call it what it is, over 24 years 6-7 great teams, all but 1 in the first 10 years. 6-7 good teams, 6-7 mediocre teams, 6-7 bad teams.

We haven’t been a pain the ass for over a decade.
Did I not say “vast majority”? The 2007 and 2012 teams were really bad. And for as “bad” as you claim the 2005 & 2006 teams were, you know what they didn’t do? Get completely and utterly humiliated against OSU 54-10 or 42-3 against Michigan. There was the 31-6 loss at OSU in 2005, which was a bad game no doubt, but then later that season we beat a 10-win Wisconsin team at their place.

That “bad” 2006 team managed to hang around #1 OSU and at #2 Michigan. FG or less losses to ranked Texas and Wisconsin. Point being, that 6-7 team was more competitive against top-flight competition than we’ve been for a while.

2010, we lost 5 games by a total of 18 points, went 3-3 against ranked teams, and had a point differential of +27 against the three top 15 teams we played.

I could go year by year if you want, but my point is that we frequently gave teams all they could handle. Over the course of those 20 years, were there stinkers? Sure, but you’ll find wins against top 10 teams and other games against ranked teams where we absolutely make them sweat. Remember when you didn’t want to be a top 5 team playing in Kinnick?

The last three years, we’ve become a pushover for good teams. We stayed within shouting distance in 2022 at home against Michigan with a late rally, but the recent showings against the “Big 3” from the East are worse than anything we put out there even in those “bad” years you mentioned.

Teams from 2001-2019 with worse W-L records put up more of a fight against the best teams on our schedule, more consistently, than recent teams that finished with better records.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT