ADVERTISEMENT

7 Most Vibrant Towns In Iowa

Pella also one of the 30 best places in the US to visit. Accolades rolling in.

Pella also one of the 30 best places in the US to visit. Accolades rolling in.

That’s because 40 years ago Pella had a great mayor! ;)

Reactions: EasyHawk
God this state is lame. A pen factory in Fort Madison and a doll collection in Dyersville are hot spots to visit?
Kim's tourism board sucks. I'll give them Pikes Peak and McGregor could be interesting if the state threw a little money into developing our portion of the drift less region. I've lived in Iowa for most of my life and I have no interest in ever visiting the majority of those towns. My MIL thought Pella was neat. Why would I ever visit a town the MIL thought was neat? She's lame.

God this state is lame. A pen factory in Fort Madison and a doll collection in Dyersville are hot spots to visit?
Kim's tourism board sucks. I'll give them Pikes Peak and McGregor could be interesting if the state threw a little money into developing our portion of the drift less region. I've lived in Iowa for most of my life and I have no interest in ever visiting the majority of those towns. My MIL thought Pella was neat. Why would I ever visit a town the MIL thought was neat? She's lame.
The bakeries are good in Pella. As are the meat markets.
The local church “fall outs” with their national synods has been interesting to follow.
At least Pella ain’t Osky or Knoxville! There are somethings about Pella that aren’t so neat, too. But the public schools are way above average and education is valued community wide. They don’t have many brick streets left any more, either. Little known fact…. City maintenance employees in Pella are UNION! Nothing else in Pella is, though.

The bakeries are good in Pella. As are the meat markets.
The local church “fall outs” with their national synods has been interesting to follow.
At least Pella ain’t Osky or Knoxville! There are somethings about Pella that aren’t so neat, too. But the public schools are way above average and education is valued community wide. They don’t have many brick streets left any more, either. Little known fact…. City maintenance employees in Pella are UNION! Nothing else in Pella is, though.
So, basically Disney World, but with a Dutch theme? Pella is lame, Bro.

So, basically Disney World, but with a Dutch theme? Pella is lame, Bro.
Don’t go to TT then….is anyone making you go? Again….Pella is not really my cup of tea but they do a lot of things right and do a lot of things most other communities cannot do. There’s a lot of people who agree with you… especially if they live in Osky or Knoxville.

<-----------I hope McGregor can live back up to the "Vibrant" descriptor. Main street was torn completely up for most of last year, cutting the town off from the Marquette and Prairie du Chien direction and making downtown and the riverfront nearly unreachable by car. They need a good tourist season this year to bounce back.

Took my first visit to Pella last weekend, the kid had a Show Choir competition there, once you go south off of 80...holy hell, are straight roads more than one mile against the Dutch Law? Took 40 minutes zig zaging to go about 15 miles SE.

They had a great school and facilities at the HS.

Eldora is not what I would call vibrant. Fort Madison is a shithole.
Walnut’s antiques alone should have earned them a spot above those two.

And is there a town in SE Iowa that doesn’t completely suck? Maaaaaybe Mt Pleasant?

Fort Madison. Immediately makes this list the R word.
You were cool with Eldora? That came first. No effin way. A couple of these alright I can see the argument. JFC with the Eldora and Fort Madison. Any list like this where you're not going to include Des Moines or the college towns without Decorah is nonsense. Decorah belongs on any list like this really.

Reactions: IANDFAN
You were cool with Eldora? That came first. No effin way. A couple of these alright I can see the argument. JFC with the Eldora and Fort Madison. Any list like this where you're not going to include Des Moines or the college towns without Decorah is nonsense. Decorah belongs on any list like this really.
Sorry yes also beyond trash. Fort Madison just made me laugh more.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
This thread has me intrigued. Now, I almost, kind of, may want to visit Iowa. One day when I don’ have anything else going on.

My parents still live in a small town in SE Iowa. My father flew down on Monday to stay with me for a week here in Ft Lauderdale. He absolutely hates it. Loves the food but hates everything else.

About every 10 minutes while in the car he will say “ how in the hell can you live in this”

My parents still live in a small town in SE Iowa. My father flew down on Monday to stay with me for a week here in Ft Lauderdale. He absolutely hates it. Loves the food but hates everything else.

About every 10 minutes while in the car he will say “ how in the hell can you live in this”

Sounds like a fun visit!

You guys realize stuff like this is just clickbait, right? It’s not like a journalist actually spent time researching anything, they just Google around, pick some random towns, and post it.
Don't tell that to the Pella Mafia. They think they've got something going by getting old people to visit once a year to look at the tulips.

• Haha
Reactions: ZachJump and ping72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT