ADVERTISEMENT

9 Reasons why Reynolds is “the Nation’s most unpopular Governor”...in Sunday’s Register Editorials

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Not authored by Donald Trump..
Interesting read authored by the former chair of the Iowa Parole Board..appointed by Branstad..
Subjective reasons (as most political arguments are) but they are reasons with some degree of justification...the central theme is Reynolds and her policies defy any accountability. I encourage reading it...Her supporters, so they understand their gal does have (plenty of) warts..Her opponents so they realize there are others who feel as they do about Reynolds...and those with no opinion, to know everything in Iowa isn’t as rosy as Reynolds and the Iowa GOP paint it to be.

Two things.

1. You have a longstanding policy of not linking articles.

2. DMR is paywall.
You probably ought to buy a subscription then. Sorry, I don’t link anything for anybody...linking does nothing for me....too bad you won’t read the editorial...it’s an interesting read. In case you get a Register, it’s at the bottom of page 1 of the Opinion Section.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Two things.

1. You have a longstanding policy of not linking articles.

2. DMR is paywall.

1. OP’s still working through his online class on how to link. He’s hoping to finish by 2034.

2. For you, I recommend a class on cookies and incognito mode.

9 possible reasons for Kim Reynolds being the most unpopular governor

Many would argue Reynolds has met the long-held and revered business definition of the Peter Principle: “rising to a level of respective incompetence.”

Doris J. Kelley
Guest columnist

• Doris J. Kelley of Cedar Falls is a former state representatives and former chair of the Iowa Board of Parole.
After being re-elected to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2009, I met newly elected state Sen. Kim Reynolds; some of us bipartisan “veteran” legislators were giving advice to newly elected delegates. My next interaction with Reynolds was after being appointed by Gov. Terry Branstad and confirmed by Senate, 49-0, to serve as vice chair of the Iowa Board of Parole. When I was promoted to board chair, I met quite frequently with Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds, apprising them of the progressive measures the Board of Parole was undertaking.

Two recent surveys (Oct. 31 and Nov. 27) by Morning Consult have identified Reynolds as America’s "most unpopular governor." Writes Morning Consult: “Her unpopularity increased partly because of a surge in negative sentiment among independent and Republican voters during a year in which she signed a strict anti-abortion law and took a lashing from former President Donald Trump.”

What has happened to Iowa since Reynolds assumed the office of governor on May 24, 2017?

1. The Iowa Supreme Court unanimously ruled that Reynolds violated Iowa’s public records law, causing Iowa’s citizens to fork over $174,108.75 in attorney fees to settle three lawsuits. Thomas Story, ACLU of Iowa attorney, said, “Nobody’s above the law. It starts at the top.”

2. During the fiscal year 2014 to fiscal year 2023 time period when Reynolds served as Iowa’s lieutenant governor or governor, over $108 million has been spent (Iowa taxpayers' hard-earned-money) to settle lawsuit claims, according to the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Her and her GOP legislators’ and employees’ actions have cost Iowa citizens dearly.

3. Iowa ranks 49th in the nation for its ratio of inspectors to care facilities, per the US Senate Special Committee on Aging.

4. Families for Better Care ranked Iowa nursing homes as 37th best in America; staffing shortages exist in 42% of Iowa nursing homes.

5. Thousands of Iowa K-12 students are homeschooled. Reynolds has blessed excluding them from curriculum standards, required learning assessments, abuse record checks on parent-teachers and attendance monitoring. Accountability is void.

6. Iowa ranks No. 29 for public education funding. Despite Iowa desperately needing to improve K-12 public school funding, Reynolds and the GOP-controlled Legislature allocated $107 million to pay for private school vouchers, which could result in a potential loss of $54 million in state aid to public schools from students leaving public districts. Note: 62% of Iowans opposed the school choice law, according to the Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll.

7. Iowa ranked as the 12th-most-obese state in 2022; Iowa’s state House, state Senate and the governor passed legislation tightening rules for the SNAP program, which helps lower-income families afford more nutritional foods and requires an asset test, potentially kicking thousands of recipients off the SNAP program.

8. The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services has failed to comply with 50 of 65 (77%) standards in a settlement with the Justice Department in operating the Glenwood Resource Center for people with disabilities.

9. Iowa has consistently ranked near the bottom of the country for staffing psychiatric beds.

These are just some examples of Reynolds governing a state that ranks 30th in population. Imagine Reynolds as vice president or a member of Congress or holding a Cabinet position.

Many would argue Reynolds has met the long-held and revered business definition of the Peter Principle: “rising to a level of respective incompetence,” rightly earning the label as America’s most unpopular governor.

Doris J. Kelley of Cedar Falls is a former state representatives and former chair of the Iowa Board of Parole.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
Not authored by Donald Trump..
Interesting read authored by the former chair of the Iowa Parole Board..appointed by Branstad..
Subjective reasons (as most political arguments are) but they are reasons with some degree of justification...the central theme is Reynolds and her policies defy any accountability. I encourage reading it...Her supporters, so they understand their gal does have (plenty of) warts..Her opponents so they realize there are others who feel as they do about Reynolds...and those with no opinion, to know everything in Iowa isn’t as rosy as Reynolds and the Iowa GOP paint it to be.
LOL what a joke of an article.

Reynolds is the most popular Governor in America.

Why do you hate powerful successful women?

OP,

I just read the article. I wasn't expecting it to be such a quick and shallow read.

Among other things, a few thoughts.

Just like you did, the DMR failed to point out that the author is a Democrat? Why is that?

The author referred to herself as a "veteran" legislator "giving advice to newly elected delegates" which included the newly elected Reynolds. Veteran huh? Hardly. The author had just completed her first two year term. She was hardly a "veteran" legislator. Who does that?

She criticizes Reynolds for Iowa being obese by "tightening rules for the SNAP program, which helps lower-income families afford more nutritional foods." The reality is that the SNAP program allows for the purchase of a great deal of unhealthy foods. Placing the obesity epidemic at the foot of Reynolds is ridiculous.

OP,

I just read the article. I wasn't expecting it to be such a quick and shallow read.

Just like you did, the DMR failed to point out that the author is a Democrat? Why is that?

The author referred to herself as a "veteran" legislator "giving advice to newly elected delegates" which included the newly elected Reynolds. Veteran huh? Hardly. The author had just completed her first two year term. She was hardly a "veteran" legislator. Who does that?

She criticizes Reynolds for Iowa being obese by "tightening rules for the SNAP program, which helps lower-income families afford more nutritional foods." The reality is that the SNAP program allows for the purchase of a great deal of unhealthy foods. Placing the obesity epidemic at the foot of Reynolds is ridiculous.
You will note SHE placed “veteran” in parenthesis… admitting SHE was not greatly experienced as a legislator..that was probably the purpose of the parenthesis, don’t you think? :rolleyes:
I would not know she was a Democrat from knowledge…I assumed she was by the article tone and by the fact she wrote the article. But then ignore if you choose. Just understand there are Iowans who see through her facade.

There are thousands of Iowans who are obese NOT on SNAP. They are included in these stats, too. But the fact remains, many Iowans were removed from the program and many of these folks lost access to healthy food choices. I don’t think the author is placing The obesity problem at Reynolds feet… just suggesting the Governor’s actions with SNAP make her an enabler to Iowa’s obesity issue.

Last edited:
  • Haha
She won the election by nearly 20 points. She flipped seven counties including Black Hawk and Scott. And she is arguably more liked by her supporters now than she was in 2022. The fact that her detractors are more vocal now doesn't make her the most unpopular. This screams desperation.

OP,

Just more "yellow" journalism from the DMR.

The author cries about Gov Reynolds allegedly tightening rules for the SNAP program while at the national level the Dems including the Dimwit in the White House want to withhold federal money from school lunch programs if the school doesn't go with the gay indoctrination of children.

Just more "yellow" journalism from the DMR.

The author cries about Gov Reynolds allegedly tightening rules for the SNAP program while at the national level the Dems including the Dimwit in the White House want to withhold federal money from school lunch programs if the school doesn't go with the gay indoctrination of children.
The “yellow” journalism you disdain here is an OPInION, printed on the Opinion page! It is tge opinion of the written…. Not The Register.
Rico… again your stupidity simply amazes me. You have to be a Russian bot.

• Haha
The “yellow” journalism you disdain here is an OPInION, printed on the Opinion page! It is tge opinion of the written…. Not The Register.

The Register controls which opinions see the light of day.

• Haha
Reactions: lucas80
Yellow journalism to even allow that trash to be printed, you do realize they had a choice not to print it.

A politician needs to please the voters that help her win. Based on results, she knows her audience very well.

Question- who considers her the "nation's most unpopular governor" outside of the liberal hacks at the DMR?

Edit to add- You suck at links and DMR is a paywall
Stay in your safe space, snowflake.

She won the election by nearly 20 points. She flipped seven counties including Black Hawk and Scott. And she is arguably more liked by her supporters now than she was in 2022. The fact that her detractors are more vocal now doesn't make her the most unpopular. This screams desperation.
She has done unpopular things since winning another term. She slammed through vouchers, which are very unpopular, and she is pushing for a total ban on abortions. Also unpopular.
Statistically Iowa's kids are falling behind, and the smart ones are leaving the state when they graduate from college. The non farm economy continues to stagnate, especially manufacturing. The base will never leave her, but the middle knows she isn't working for them.

She has done unpopular things since winning another term. She slammed through vouchers, which are very unpopular, and she is pushing for a total ban on abortions. Also unpopular.
Statistically Iowa's kids are falling behind, and the smart ones are leaving the state when they graduate from college. The non farm economy continues to stagnate, especially manufacturing. The base will never leave her, but the middle knows she isn't working for them.
Vouchers are very popular and will never go away. Any politician who goes after vouchers will be labeled as an anti-education nut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT