ADVERTISEMENT

A Gophers Fan Perspectve (HawkinMN)

Feb 5, 2003
First, I'm a Minnesota native and a longtime, longsuffering Gophers fan. I've been a fan/supporter since 1954. I witnessed the highs (a national title and two conference titles) and too many lows.

Second, I don't hate Iowa . . . far from it!

HawkinMN, you have a good memory. I arrived in Knoxville in September 1973 (Frank Lauterbur's last season at Iowa) as a radio broadcaster/news director. I took a detour that turned out to be a rich, rewarding career of 30 years in law enforcement - the last ten as the department's police chief - and then two terms as our community's mayor. I continue to serve our town by serving on various boards, committees, and acts of volunteerism, which I've performed for 46 years. My wife and I have been blessed many times with our family, public service careers, and abundant friendships. So . . . I would never chant "I hate I hate Iowa!"

As we all know. Kinnick has been a tough place for the Gophers since Hayden and Kirk have led the Hawks. I was in Kinnick when Minnesota last won in 1999. The previous win was in 1989. Nevertheless, I've always enjoyed visiting Iowa City, even if I didn't like the outcomes. The fans have been good and welcoming, except for a couple of boorish males who had had too much to drink. All fanbases have them. I always enjoyed walking across the campus from a downtown parking garage, especially down Melrose - "Big Ass Turkey Legs" anyone.

I could give a lot of reasons and factors (IMHO) why the Gophers have languished these many years. The constant turnover at Minnesota has been a big factor. Since the arrival of Hayden Fry and now Kirk Ferentz the Gophers have had 8 coaches. It's hard to build a successful program and consistency with the constant turnover.

I have had great respect and admiration on what Hayden and Kirk have achieved. This is especially true when I remember the years after Evy until Hayden's arrival in Iowa City.

Last Saturday's win over PSU was very special because of the win and by staying undefeated and in contention for a conference title game. Opportunities like this season don't happen often. I give credit to the players, coach Fleck and his coaches. Fleck's got the team believing and playing with confidence.

I'm looking forward to and remain hopeful that the Gophers break another losing streak! I expect an entertaining, tough, hard fought game and hopefully without injuries. Good luck Iowa, but not this week!

Thank you for reading.

Go Gophers!!

First, I'm a Minnesota native and a longtime, longsuffering Gophers fan. I've been a fan/supporter since 1954. I witnessed the highs (a national title and two conference titles) and too many lows.

HawkinMN, you have a good memory. I arrived in Knoxville in September 1973 (Frank Lauterbur's last season at Iowa) as a radio broadcaster/news director. I took a detour that turned out to be a rich, rewarding career of 30 years in law enforcement - the last ten as the department's police chief - and then two terms as our community's mayor. I continue to serve our town by serving on various boards, committees, and acts of volunteerism, which I've performed for 46 years. My wife and I have been blessed many times with our family, public service careers, and abundant friendships. So . . . I would never chant "I hate I hate Iowa!"

As we all know. Kinnick has been a tough place for the Gophers since Hayden and Kirk have led the Hawks. I was in Kinnick when Minnesota last won in 1999. The previous win was in 1989. Nevertheless, I've always enjoyed visiting Iowa City, even if I didn't like the outcomes. The fans have been good and welcoming, except for a couple of boorish males who had had too much to drink. All fanbases have them. I always enjoyed walking across the campus from a downtown parking garage, especially down Melrose - "Big Ass Turkey Legs" anyone.

I could give a lot of reasons and factors (IMHO) why the Gophers have languished these many years. The constant turnover at Minnesota has been a big factor. Since the arrival of Hayden Fry and now Kirk Ferentz the Gophers have had 8 coaches. It's hard to build a successful program and consistency with the constant turnover.

I have had great respect and admiration on what Hayden and Kirk have achieved. This is especially true when I remember the years after Evy until Hayden's arrival in Iowa City.

Last Saturday's win over PSU was very special because of the win and by staying undefeated and in contention for a conference title game. Opportunities like this season don't happen often. I give credit to the players, coach Fleck and his coaches. Fleck's got the team believing and playing with confidence.

I'm looking forward to and remain hopeful that the Gophers break another losing streak! I expect an entertaining, tough, hard fought game and hopefully without injuries. Good luck Iowa, but not this week!

Thank you for reading.

Go Gophers!!
How many Gopher fans do you think will attend Saturday's game?

Thank you for reading.

Go Gophers!!

Congrats to Minnesota for your incredible run, great story. Respect. We will kick your ass on Saturday.

Stop being such a bunch of Debbie Downers you Hawks fans. We all know it's going to be a huge challenge for Minnesota to beat you guys on Saturday. As a Gopher fan, it's nice to be relevant again for a change and already be eliminated from Motor Boat Bowl consideration in Detroit. Iowa -3 doesn't shock me one bit.

Thank you for reading.

Go Gophers!!
Beat OSU!

Stop being such a bunch of Debbie Downers you Hawks fans. We all know it's going to be a huge challenge for Minnesota to beat you guys on Saturday. As a Gopher fan, it's nice to be relevant again for a change and already be eliminated from Motor Boat Bowl consideration in Detroit. Iowa -3 doesn't shock me one bit.

Have you SEEN our offense against P5 competition? We could only put 30 on poor Rutgers and could barely put away a Purdue that is staying home for the holidays.

Beat OSU!
Yep, MN cannot run, but they can pass like the dickens. Question is, can we stop your receivers and will you find a kicking game? How many defensive pass interference calls can we take without you scoring?

Great post by OP. Love the walk down history lane. As an Iowa fan living in MN...and having Gopher in-laws... it's hard not to get caught up in the local excitement. Win or lose for Iowa, it's been fun seeing the Gopher turn around up close.

Reactions: Full Measures
Well said, DL65. I'm about where you are in reverse and have always enjoyed the long-standing rivalry with Minnesota without quite grasping the "hate" thing, except possibly as a joke. My first away Iowa game was in 1968 to Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis. Historic place. Too bad it went away. I wondered if we'd gone too far and ended up in Sweden from the very pronounced accent of the stadium announcer. Looking forward to a big game on Saturday

Enjoy your W Saturday

Ignored.
giphy.gif

Reactions: L Lawliet

Thank you for reading.

Go Gophers!!

DL, so good to hear from you! Was just hoping all was well with you and family. I'm a realist, and the Gophers should win this game. Weather should be halfway decent, with a little wind perhaps. Enjoy the season, because as you know, they don't come around often!

Reactions: DL65
Welcome DL and kudos for being a class act. (are you the one driving the band wagon that everyone is jumping on up there?) ;)

IOWA is -3 strictly based on the rep of Kinnick being tough for highly ranked teams. I don't think this year's IOWA team has the mojo to beat a good and very focused Gopher squad. Would love to be wrong.

Last edited:
Well said, DL65. I'm about where you are in reverse and have always enjoyed the long-standing rivalry with Minnesota without quite grasping the "hate" thing, except possibly as a joke. My first away Iowa game was in 1968 to Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis. Historic place. Too bad it went away. I wondered if we'd gone too far and ended up in Sweden from the very pronounced accent of the stadium announcer. Looking forward to a big game on Saturday

I think the Hate Iowa chant started shortly after you guys took down our goal posts. I wouldn't take it to seriously. What we say about Wisconsin can't be chanted in public places. Ha!

I think the Hate Iowa chant started shortly after you guys took down our goal posts. I wouldn't take it to seriously. What we say about Wisconsin can't be chanted in public places. Ha!

I get a kick out of this. 17 years ago and it still stings, eh? No doubt about Wisconsin, that border battle has it's own vibe. Fun to watch up close as one with no dog in the fight.

I will say there's this strange resentment Minnesotan's have toward every one around them. Having lived up here a few years, I've seen it plenty. Don't know if it's a legacy of Scandinavian culture or what, but it's bizarre.

FWIW, I think the Goophs take this one. A balanced team with playmakers that seems to be on a mission.

I get a kick out of this. 17 years ago and it still stings, eh? No doubt about Wisconsin, that border battle has it's own vibe. Fun to watch up close as one with no dog in the fight.

I will say there's this strange resentment Minnesotan's have toward every state around them. Having lived up here a few years, I've seen it plenty. Don't know if it's a legacy of Scandinavian culture or what, but it's bizarre.

FWIW, I think the Goophs take this one. A balanced team with playmakers that seems to be on a mission.

Yes, it's still a sore spot but we're taking down those goal posts in Evanston if the Gophers clinch there next week! That's one place Gopher fans might actually out number the the home fans.

Yes, it's still a sore spot but we're taking down those goal posts in Evanston if the Gophers clinch there next week! That's one place Gopher fans might actually out number the the home fans.

Could definitely take over Ryan field.

Yep, MN cannot run, but they can pass like the dickens. Question is, can we stop your receivers and will you find a kicking game? How many defensive pass interference calls can we take without you scoring?

I wouldn't say we can't run. We have three backs that are very solid. That is what makes the offense work. Defenses have trouble cheating one way or the other.

I will say there's this strange resentment Minnesotan's have toward every one around them. Having lived up here a few years, I've seen it plenty. Don't know if it's a legacy of Scandinavian culture or what, but it's bizarre.

Having been a salesman that called on MN for years, if you are not one it is nearly impossible to gain traction there. In Wisconsin, this is not the case at all. MN is a lot like Texas in this regards.

I don't think I've ever read a more humble and appreciative post on the Internet. I'll think of how happy you are, DL65, if Minnesota wins.
" Minnesota, where the introverts look at their shoes and the extroverts look at your shoes. "

Wow DL65 you're older than me! I attended my first Minnesota game at Kinnick in '65 and my first road game at the old War Memorial stadium in '80. Most all of War Memorial attendance records were set when Iowa was the opponent. When they moved to the Metro-dome it just wasn't the same. TCF now gives the Gophers a campus stadium like it should be and I think that has helped the Gophers be competitive again. Congrats on the 30 years of law enforcement....
MV5BMGNmY2ZlNDEtYWY4My00OWQ3LWJlOTAtZDJmOGM0ZGQyNGQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Having been a salesman that called on MN for years, if you are not one it is nearly impossible to gain traction there. In Wisconsin, this is not the case at all. MN is a lot like Texas in this regards.

I would agree. I've worked throughout the Midwest and Minnesota is by far the most provincial state. If you're not "one of us"...well, forget it. The whole "passive aggressive" thing gets really old.

Reactions: HawkinMN
First, I'm a Minnesota native and a longtime, longsuffering Gophers fan. I've been a fan/supporter since 1954. I witnessed the highs (a national title and two conference titles) and too many lows.!!

Question for DL65: did you believe at the time in 1960-61 that the Gophers were actually the National Champion? I talked to a Gopher player from that era, who said the players regarded the next year, when they won the Rose Bowl, as the better year, and that in 1960, they didn’t really regard themselves as the National Champion. After all, they took the field twice as #1 team, losing both games, including in November at home against unranked Purdue. Did you watch the 1961 Rose Bowl thinking it doesn’t really matter if we lose, because we already won the National Championship? Did the old Minneapolis Tribune or the Pioneer Press cover the Rose Bowl that way, saying the Gophers lost the Rose Bowl exhibition game, but it doesn’t matter, because the Gophers won the National Championship.

Anyway, truly curious how you felt about your team in Jan. 1961, because it seems weird to me that a fan at that time would regard his Gophers, losers of 2 of the last 3 games, as being the National Champion. Now, of course, I can look at a list of National Champions, and see Minnesota as one of 3 teams that won the 1960 National Championship, but how did it feel at the time?

AMAYS - you raised a good question about Minnesota's national title in 1960.

Until a few years later, the national champions were declared at the end of the regular season. Bowl games came into play a few yars later. AP and UPI selected the gophers national champs. AP. was considered the official poll.

In 1949, the Big Ten champ began playing in the Rose Bowl. Before that year, Big Ten teams did not participate in post season games. Once they started playing in the Rose Bowl it became a big deal.

In 1960, I was in eighth grade. I was happy that Minnesota was declared national champs; however, playing in the Rose Bowl was important to me. So, you can imagine my disappointment when Washington won.

The following January the Gophers defeated UCA 21-3. They avenged the previous year's defeat, but the loss still stung.

I have no problem claiming the 1960 national title, because that's how things were done then. Post season bowls were considered exhibitions. The imperfect system provided alot of debates, just as it did until the play-off system was enacted.

I love all forms of history and college football is one of my favorites

Go Gophers!!

AMAYS - you raised a good question about Minnesota's national title in 1960.

Until a few years later, the national champions were declared at the end of the regular season. Bowl games came into play a few yars later. AP and UPI selected the gophers national champs. AP. was considered the official poll.

In 1949, the Big Ten champ began playing in the Rose Bowl. Before that year, Big Ten teams did not participate in post season games. Once they started playing in the Rose Bowl it became a big deal.

In 1960, I was in eighth grade. I was happy that Minnesota was declared national champs; however, playing in the Rose Bowl was important to me. So, you can imagine my disappointment when Washington won.

The following January the Gophers defeated UCA 21-3. They avenged the previous year's defeat, but the loss still stung.

I have no problem claiming the 1960 national title, because that's how things were done then. Post season bowls were considered exhibitions. The imperfect system provided alot of debates, just as it did until the play-off system was enacted.

I love all forms of history and college football is one of my favorites

Go Gophers!!
Thanks for the response. I am not interested in disputing the 1960 National Championship, but rather what people thought and felt at the time. Thanks again.

AMAYS - I was thirteen at the time, so my thoughts would have been different from the adults. I just remember being extremely disappointed with the loss. Playing in the Rose Bowl was a new, exciting moment. As I recall, the papers were full of stories related to the upcoming game. It was new for the veteran columnists and writers of both papers. Most had experienced the glory years of Gopher football in the 30s and early 40s when the Gophers were crowned national champions five times. I don't remember much being said or written about the 1960 championship; all the focus was on the Rose Bowl.

At the time there were no Vikings, Twins, NHL. The Minneapolis Lakers would soon depart for LA. The Gophers were Minnesota's team, as it had been for sixty years.

So, going to the Rose Bowl was the story. Losing the game was talked about for a few days and then it was time to move on: ice fishing, hockey, snow skiing, etc.

That's how I remember the bowl game and its aftermath.

Go Gophers!!

Great post by OP. I’ll be rooting for them to win out and beat Ohio State.

Last edited:
Welcome DL and kudos for being a class act. (are you the one driving the band wagon that everyone is jumping on up there?) ;)

IOWA is -3 strictly based on the rep of Kinnick being tough for highly ranked teams. I don't think this year's IOWA team has the mojo to beat a good and very focused Gopher squad. Would love to be wrong.
trump-wrong.gif

Reactions: pmtdc

I sold in MN many years and experienced the exact opposite. You will get a lot of MN Nice passive aggressiveness you have to wade through. But actually I find Iowa tougher to gain traction in if you are an outsider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT