ADVERTISEMENT

A National Mask Mandate Could Save The U.S. Economy $1 Trillion, Goldman Sachs Says

Just curious about what is the legal basis is for either an executive order, or a law passed by Congress, for requiring people wear masks. How would such a law be enforced?

Just curious about what is the legal basis is for either an executive order, or a law passed by Congress, for requiring people wear masks. How would such a law be enforced?
Probably enforced same way speed limits are. Caught without it, fine.

I'd have to be a toothless mandate. Just a really strong suggestion.

Federal government shouldn't have the power to enforce.

Goldman-Sachs?

They ought to know. They've tried to sink the US Economy often enough to know.

They must have a line on mask production and sales.

"It's a big club... and YOU AIN'T IN IT!"- George Carlin

Reactions: shank hawk
I love how the masks were downplayed and even discouraged when the pandemic started. Now, they're like life preservers on a sinking ship.
They were downplayed early, in large part, to discourage people from hoarding PPE masks that were needed for healthcare providers. Now there are many, many other options available that have been determined will help prevent the spread.

It's surprising to me how many people believe everything should remain static when you have a crisis like this. In reality, things change as we learn more and the situation evolves.

Is this a real question? I don't think you're as dumb as this makes you look.

Why would that be a dumb question? Federal law isn't usually enforced by state or local agencies. So who would enforce it? The FBI? US Marshals? ATF? Homeland Security?

Have you considered what this would do to the federal court system?

They were downplayed early, in large part, to discourage people from hoarding PPE masks that were needed for healthcare providers. Now there are many, many other options available that have been determined will help prevent the spread.

It's surprising to me how many people believe everything should remain static when you have a crisis like this. In reality, things change as we learn more and the situation evolves.
I don't think, believe, or even want ANYTHING to "remain static." I know change is always coming. I simply stated that I thought it was interesting how, AT THE BEGINNING, it was discouraged. Now, it's mandatory. If they were trying to prevent hoarding, they were too late... as always. If they were basically lying to prevent hoarding, then say that. They can't because they already know that people aren't very confident in their recommendations. That's probably due to their frequency of lying, intentionally, in order to create a certain outcome.

Their reasoning for why average people shouldn't wear masks, or didn't have much to gain from wearing them, hasn't really changed. I find it very hard to believe that the entire clinical approach to the concept of wearing masks has suddenly done a 180-degree turn in two months. If it's basically acting as a broad-brush "just in case" response, that's fine. I wear them simply to make OTHER people feel comfortable. Of course, this has become so politicized that, where I live, a lot of people see people who do wear masks as being a liberal, Trump-hating communist. I'm not worried, in the least, about catching the virus.

I think there's a benefit to wearing masks. I wear one when I'm indoors, or when I'm in close contact with people outdoors.

That said, the beach and lots of parking lots are starting to become littered with masks.

I seriously doubt people are handling them properly, or sanitizing their hands when they take them off. I seriously doubt many people are laundering cloth masks between each use. Cloth masks without a filter, for the most part, don't stop the virus. They stop large droplets. And finally, people wearing masks tend to not social distance as much. All these reasons were listed on a FAQ page on the CDC website at one time, up until the CDC switched their guidance.

I'm not against wearing masks, or even mandates. I think these decisions should be made at the state / local level. I also think education is more important than mandates.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I love how the masks were downplayed and even discouraged when the pandemic started. Now, they're like life preservers on a sinking ship.
I knew that was BS when they were pushing that we didn’t need masks. How could they not help? I went a little overboard in Feb and bought all the family p100 respirators which we still haven’t used. Ha.

I knew that was BS when they were pushing that we didn’t need masks. How could they not help? I went a little overboard in Feb and bought all the family p100 respirators which we still haven’t used. Ha.
I have to buy masks for my work (N95's usually). But, when I was listening, back in March, to many doctors who described, very specifically, how only certain masks were actually protective to the wearer.

The discussion above is exactly why we are lagging other countries in getting rid of this disease. Our economy and our health will suffer needlessly because we fixate on a mistake that happened in February.

Yes the guidance was wrong early on, whether deliberate (to ensure PPE for frontline workers) or whether it was a lack of understanding that it take a large viral dose to spread (I.e. needs a droplet) the early guidance was wrong.

Since then, the OVERWHELMING evidence is that masks are effective. Anyone not wearing a mask at this point when in a store, restaurant, BLM protest, nightclub, etc. is simply putting themselves before the good of our economy and healthcare. Those folks are unpatriotic assholes who are costing ALL of us money by depressing our economy and increasing healthcare costs.

I have to buy masks for my work (N95's usually). But, when I was listening, back in March, to many doctors who described, very specifically, how only certain masks were actually protective to the wearer.
Okay cool. Are they protective to the people around the person wearing? If so then you're protected if you're only around people with masks are you not?

The discussion above is exactly why we are lagging other countries in getting rid of this disease. Our economy and our health will suffer needlessly because we fixate on a mistake that happened in February.

Yes the guidance was wrong early on, whether deliberate (to ensure PPE for frontline workers) or whether it was a lack of understanding that it take a large viral dose to spread (I.e. needs a droplet) the early guidance was wrong.

Since then, the OVERWHELMING evidence is that masks are effective. Anyone not wearing a mask at this point when in a store, restaurant, BLM protest, nightclub, etc. is simply putting themselves before the good of our economy and healthcare. Those folks are unpatriotic assholes who are costing ALL of us money by depressing our economy and increasing healthcare costs.
We have the largest population of jackasses in the world. To put it bluntly...

I only disagree with one thing. How does one eat with a mask on?

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
all I've heard of masks is they are to prevent sick people from spreading much more than to to keep you from getting it. If everyone actually wore one then it won't matter if they don't actually protect you from it.

of course I realize many are far from perfect and again with all the dummies here it is even less effective. I still laugh at people who think all they need to do is cover their mouth and not their nose or the ones that like to tuck it under their chin and rub the germs all over their chin.

I made the same post laughing at a person protesting bars while wearing a mask outside. Apparently she needed a mask outdoors but is perfectly okay drinking indoors without a mask. Well unless the drinking mask has already been released...? ;)

By the way just another reason I won't eat any food not cooked at home. germs floating all over especially in restaurants that are actually letting people eat inside. No thanks. Sucks for people with no halfway decent cook at home.

Good point. Yeah I was thinking about takeout/ordering situation. Not dine in. I haven't eaten inside a restaurant since February so did not think that one through :confused:

Hopefully most people are eating at outside tables well spread out, which I guess mitigates some of the need for a mask.

all I've heard of masks is they are to prevent sick people from spreading much more than to to keep you from getting it. If everyone actually wore one then it won't matter if they don't actually protect you from it.

of course I realize many are far from perfect and again with all the dummies here it is even less effective. I still laugh at people who think all they need to do is cover their mouth and not their nose or the ones that like to tuck it under their chin and rub the germs all over their chin.
Well, I'm not worried about passing it to anyone. I have the antibodies. I am not worried about getting it from anyone. I have the antibodies. But, I wear the flimsy surgeon's mask in public places to placate the general "mood" of the "feeling" of safety.

Why would that be a dumb question? Federal law isn't usually enforced by state or local agencies. So who would enforce it? The FBI? US Marshals? ATF? Homeland Security?

Have you considered what this would do to the federal court system?
FFS - local police can help enforce Federal law. And that only matters if the State law doesn't follow along with the law, which is unusual.

Well, I'm not worried about passing it to anyone. I have the antibodies. I am not worried about getting it from anyone. I have the antibodies. But, I wear the flimsy surgeon's mask in public places to placate the general "mood" of the "feeling" of safety.
Did I miss some recent breaking news or something?

I don't think, believe, or even want ANYTHING to "remain static." I know change is always coming. I simply stated that I thought it was interesting how, AT THE BEGINNING, it was discouraged. Now, it's mandatory. If they were trying to prevent hoarding, they were too late... as always. If they were basically lying to prevent hoarding, then say that. They can't because they already know that people aren't very confident in their recommendations. That's probably due to their frequency of lying, intentionally, in order to create a certain outcome.

Their reasoning for why average people shouldn't wear masks, or didn't have much to gain from wearing them, hasn't really changed. I find it very hard to believe that the entire clinical approach to the concept of wearing masks has suddenly done a 180-degree turn in two months. If it's basically acting as a broad-brush "just in case" response, that's fine. I wear them simply to make OTHER people feel comfortable. Of course, this has become so politicized that, where I live, a lot of people see people who do wear masks as being a liberal, Trump-hating communist. I'm not worried, in the least, about catching the virus.
Seeking to minimize hoarding was not unreasonable. The ability of non-N95 masks to help prevent people from spreading wasn't known until later, that's why it changed. The "entire clinical approach to the concept of wearing masks" has not done a 180-degree turn - it's changed course a bit with new knowledge that non-N95 masks can still be helpful.

I'm not worried about catching it either - I wear a mask and social distance to help make sure I don't and, more importantly, I don't spread it to others.

I've kind of thought through that as well. At first I thought if I'm wearing a mask, I shouldn't care if others are. The problem with that is the eyes. I can can protect my mouth and nose, but unless I wear goggles, I can't protect my eyes.

I think there's a benefit to wearing masks. I wear one when I'm indoors, or when I'm in close contact with people outdoors.

That said, the beach and lots of parking lots are starting to become littered with masks.

I seriously doubt people are handling them properly, or sanitizing their hands when they take them off. I seriously doubt many people are laundering cloth masks between each use. Cloth masks without a filter, for the most part, don't stop the virus. They stop large droplets. And finally, people wearing masks tend to not social distance as much. All these reasons were listed on a FAQ page on the CDC website at one time, up until the CDC switched their guidance.

I'm not against wearing masks, or even mandates. I think these decisions should be made at the state / local level. I also think education is more important than mandates.
This is not accurate. According to the CDC, cloth masks are effective at stopping the transmission of the virus. The virus is carried on droplets expelled by people, the masks contain the droplets and the virus attached to them.

I don't believe having the antibodies precludes you from transmitting it to someone else if you become infected. I believe it just means you are likely immune.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT