ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Nagao in the Portal

No, I’m not stupid enough to fall for that “I’m just going there to serve God bullshit”. Be honest kid, you’re going there to win a team title and get paid, even if you could have squeezed more out of Iowa. The next reason is to get into your freestyle club. You volunteer at church, charity’s, and go on mission trips to serve God, not jump on board the most talented college wrestling team that has ever been assembled. Finally, if you do like me or other hawk fans, then go back to your PSU board, nobody invited you assholes to OUR fan board!
I’d have to assume an individual title is more important to him than a team title. Sounds like it was more important than money, too.

No, I’m not stupid enough to fall for that “I’m just going there to serve God bullshit”. Be honest kid, you’re going there to win a team title and get paid, even if you could have squeezed more out of Iowa. The next reason is to get into your freestyle club. You volunteer at church, charity’s, and go on mission trips to serve God, not jump on board the most talented college wrestling team that has ever been assembled. Finally, if you do like me or other hawk fans, then go back to your PSU board, nobody invited you assholes to OUR fan board!
Juvenile. I didn't know I was a PSU fan.Puss. You are a snowflake.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that a 133lber would have Spencer, Desanto, and Woods to roll around with, Iowa likely being the biggest pay day, as well as being able to wrestle in front of the biggest fan base, and he said “nah, I’m good”, this has to be an indictment on TnT’s lack of recent tournament success outside of Spencer to point to.
Having all the refs and the vast majority of coaching staffs and opposing fans genuinely dislike your coaches isn't a good thing. It certainly doesn't help anything. If you are the top dog it plays a bit better but that's not the case.

When he I found out which podcast he was announcing from, I unfortunately knew where he was going. This one stings. PSU between the transfers and commitments for next year has one of the best hauls imaginable. Add that to an already loaded team and they have become a juggernaut. Brooks and CStar could take an Olympic reshirt and they will still be light years ahead.

The sport is taking a nasty turn at this point. 1 team just cashing in all top recruits, locking up a title before season even begins. Great way to grow the sport.
Is there another NCAA sport where the team champion is 100% certain before the tournament starts? I could see it happening in swimming or track just don’t think it does to this extent.

Reactions: Sandor45
.....so how about the staff throws up their arms and white flags?

I get where you are coming from as 90% of the posts here do just that.

Search my nickname and take a look at my posts. With that said there are some that do offer their insights. I will speak for one of them and you get mostly the same back when you do.

Here is my take regardless of insight. First step will have to be the staff opening up to suggestions. Before you all attack. Not suggestions from a message board. Second, if that does't happen people that can influence, i.e. high wealth donors need to suggest. Third, people close to the program, i.e. HWC board members have to push for it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any signs of any of these as of yet. Based on that I see the current situation perpetuating itself until one, or all of the above happen.
My point isn’t that Iowa cannot change for the better. You can always improve. My point is that what his happening for PSU has nothing to do with Iowa needing to change. PSU, Cael and Ira were a match like no other. Put the biggest name in wrestling at a powerhouse university located in the center of the ultimate wrestling hotbed and then give him nearly unlimited funding. What did you think was going to happen?

Iowa can make all the changes they want but PSU is currently “too big to fail”. What Iowa needs to start doing is recruit the top kids who want to topple the apple cart. Find those that like being the underdog. Portray PSU as the “Evil Empire” like Iowa was back in the day. They can’t fight with PSU over kids that are attuned to their culture. All that will happen is finishing 2nd in many recruiting battles and in recruiting 2nd truly is the same as last.

Spencer Lee was that type of recruit. He came to try to put Iowa back on top. They need to go after kids that buy into that. Own being far behind PSU and sell that to the recruits. Sell the chip on the shoulder approach. It almost certainly won’t get them even with PSU, but it can be a way to grind their way closer…

Who gives a crap if he is religious. Brands are pretty religious. Marinelli is quite religious. It doesn't really matter from a wrestling aspect. Not sure why you are hung up on that.
What I meant is I was a bit amazed that Nagao would use that podcast from last week to start reciting Bible verses.
Nothing wrong being religious, but it seemed an odd time to go off talking about Bible characters in a wrestling discussion.

I don't give a shit who is, or isn't, religious. Obviously, I'm not.

My point isn’t that Iowa cannot change for the better. You can always improve. My point is that what his happening for PSU has nothing to do with Iowa needing to change. PSU, Cael and Ira were a match like no other. Put the biggest name in wrestling at a powerhouse university located in the center of the ultimate wrestling hotbed and then give him nearly unlimited funding. What did you think was going to happen?

Iowa can make all the changes they want but PSU is currently “too big to fail”. What Iowa needs to start doing is recruit the top kids who want to topple the apple cart. Find those that like being the underdog. Portray PSU as the “Evil Empire” like Iowa was back in the day. They can’t fight with PSU over kids that are attuned to their culture. All that will happen is finishing 2nd in many recruiting battles and in recruiting 2nd truly is the same as last.

Spencer Lee was that type of recruit. He came to try to put Iowa back on top. They need to go after kids that buy into that. Own being far behind PSU and sell that to the recruits. Sell the chip on the shoulder approach. It almost certainly won’t get them even with PSU, but it can be a way to grind their way closer…
I think this is the right approach. There are going to be kids who want to challenge the dictatorship, who don't just want to ride the coattails of the PSU program. The challenge is going to be getting enough of them to make a difference

South Carolina women's hoops comes to mind.....
Not even close. They were the prohibitive favorite but PSU could probably have a top wrestler get injured next year and still win by 30 points over the field.

With the team PSU has on paper right now they have a chance to take out 170 while the rest of the field struggles to get to 100 team points. They will be ranked top 5 at 8 weights when the season starts, heck most of them top 3.

I bet Steen wants to win a championship or 2. You think it has anything to do with talent, or just where one goes?
You need the talent, but you also need the development.
Talent with a diminished development environment is going to have a lower ceiling than similar talent with a stronger development environment.

So, if Nagao wants to win a championship or two he made the better choice.

When he I found out which podcast he was announcing from, I unfortunately knew where he was going. This one stings. PSU between the transfers and commitments for next year has one of the best hauls imaginable. Add that to an already loaded team and they have become a juggernaut. Brooks and CStar could take an Olympic reshirt and they will still be light years ahead.
They got a log jam....good thing IF you can manage it.

Cool thing is, Truax and Nagao did not choose the hi bidder. They picked based on personal desire of winning.
Why are you here? What is it that is so lacking in your own life that you need to come to the Iowa board to run your mouth about this? Most Penn state fans are celebrating amongst themselves but you need to come here to feel……..what? Were you here in 2020 and 2021?

What I meant is I was a bit amazed that Nagao would use that podcast from last week to start reciting Bible verses.
Nothing wrong being religious, but it seemed an odd time to go off talking about Bible characters in a wrestling discussion.

I don't give a shit who is, or isn't, religious. Obviously, I'm not.
I think Teske can be a high AA and beat Nagao if he hits the weights and puts on some muscle this off season. He got over powered this year moving up to 33......he has a damn good gas tank...

You need the talent, but you also need the development.
Talent with a diminished development environment is going to have a lower ceiling than similar talent with a stronger development environment.

So, if Nagao wants to win a championship or two he made the better choice.
Well, I guess that means RBY and Dean regressed under Karl their last year. Time will tell if Nagao gets a couple titles.

Why are you here? What is it that is so lacking in your own life that you need to come to the Iowa board to run your mouth about this? Most Penn state fans are celebrating amongst themselves but you need to come here to feel……..what? Were you here in 2020 and 2021?
Finally had to put this foul smelling ball bag on ignore. No idea what his obsession is but he can’t get enough of being a flat out prick. You won’t find a post of his where he wasn’t being a condescending douche rocket

Last edited:

I think the Ferrari's are that type of chip on the shoulder recruits. Just thinking past on recent studs who fit that mold that would have excelled in Black & Gold... Suriano, Steveson, Maybe Gomez, O'Connor, Sasso. Zahid. Our transfers have fit the mold perfectly and excelled - Lugo, DeSanto, Eierman, Woods. The problem as mentioned above, is getting enough of them in the lineup at the same time to make an impact. All of those other guys I mentioned we were in on many of them but ultimately lost out on them to other schools than PSU (other than Suriano).

2024 the elite talent is drying up beyond Ferrari, have to make out with a big haul in 2025 at this point. Hope that Knox is on the staffs radar. Cortez bros from Cali. Then go hard after guys like Lockett, Duke, Correa. If you can match or exceed the 2023 class with 2025 then we might be talking about having a chance in a few years. The problem is we'll be fighting tooth and nail with Cornell/Ohio St./Ok. St/Mich and whoever else - hell probably PSU too, having a stacked roster has never stopped them from going after 1-2 top 10s every single class. and our success rate isn't exactly stellar when competing nationally on top 10 guys. Lee/Marinelli/Kemerer/Chittum have been the only ones not in Iowas immediate geography. Kennedy/Kueter/Ayala/Warner all from Iowa/Minn/Illinois, our success drops the further from Iowa we get unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSU158
Well, as a Vikings fan, at least I've been preparing for these disappointments for a lifetime.
Being a Twins fan has done the same for me. In fact, PSU is strikingly similar right now to the Yankees who knock the Twins off in the playoffs every year. Still optimistic for Iowa's future. The incredible alignment of stars that currently has PSU on top won't last forever.

Being a Twins fan has done the same for me. In fact, PSU is strikingly similar right now to the Yankees who knock the Twins off in the playoffs every year. Still optimistic for Iowa's future. The incredible alignment of stars that currently has PSU on top won't last forever.
Yes, similar to the 1970/1980 Yankees, when there was nothing to prevent them from stacking the best players in the league on their team every year. Was boring and predictable every year.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
It will get completely laughable here in a few more years from now when Cael cuckolds T&T and poaches one of our top guys to plug a hole in his lineup. If that would ever happen, Iowa needs to blow the whole thing up and start over again in my opinion. Back up the Brinks truck to Burroughs, Dake, or Taylor's house, possibly Spencer's. We all know the definition of insanity and we cannot expect to ever challenge PSU again unless drastic changes take place.

I thought Bob promised a level playing field?
I am kind of interested in what Bob meant. Bob has made numerous accusations that Penn State and Cael cheat. So if Bob's checkbook supposedly leveled the field does that mean Bob is using said checkbook to do things he believes Penn State does to cheat?

Reactions: dbldoofus
Cool thing, no invitation necessary.
You are right, he is coming here because he does believe it provides him the best opportunity to win some championships.

A little bitter aren't you? Member since 2012, 860 plus posts. Probably posted a few in 2020 and 2021.

Wait... @globalhawk is @OILCHECKER's kid?
giphy.gif

Is there anyone PSU can’t get? How many bodies can they cram into that wrestling room? It’s almost laughable - and not in a good way.
I think they normally cap their roster to 30-35 guys, somewhere in that range. Over the years, the goal seemed to be to ride the strength of a few really good guys, then build around them and incrementally get a really good guy at most weights, and now they are building out a little further to man every weight with a really good guy and improve depth considerably. The roster size has not really grown, though.

EDIT: A quick check of the 2011 and 2023 rosters showed 34 guys in 2011 and 33 guys in 2023.
I think Iowa had 38 guys listed for 2023.

Last edited:
At this point the psu Jv squad would likely be a trophy team. The gap between them and the rest of the wrestling world is so far right now I’m not sure we can reach them with a rocket ship from freaking nasa. Not gonna lie, I don’t drink much anymore but I’ll be going to work with a flipping hang over tomorrow. This has been the off-season from hell.

My once optimistic feeling has all but been smashed to bits and run over by a road grader. I mean they got / bought a likely 8 all Americans from the transfer market, and this is to say nothing about their lineup already containing 9 top tier top ten recruits. I can’t recall a much bleaker outlook for the next 3-4 years than the one iowa wrestling is currently staring at. Penn state has changed the game.

Iowa needs to make adjustments yet again. Whatever they are doing is not working.
Many Pa residents know this story but not too many Iowa residents. Two treasure hunters located a cache of Civil war gold in Dents Run, Elk County, Pa., in 2018. They notified the State of their find and the FBI. Supposedly the FBI came in at night and extracted the 200 million dollars plus of hidden Civil War gold.

I have to tell you, I'm not buying that. State College is only about an hour away from the Dents Run gold sight. It has been rumored that a team led by Cael Sanderson and several members of the NLWC, came at night and extracted the gold. Further proof of this is the many NLWC wrestlers and PSU wrestlers now being seen with a lot of gold hanging from their necks.

I know it's a conspiracy theory but it sure fits with what we're seeing in State College.

. . . What Iowa needs to start doing is recruit the top kids who want to topple the apple cart. Find those that like being the underdog . . .
In theory, this could be a path if there were that many elite guys who cared that much about team championships and colluded to join the same team to topple the apple cart.

In reality, however, I think most elite guys are focused most on numero uno and what will best enable them to maximize their own wrestling. Team championships are just icing on the cake.

Come on, guy. It’s not like I was saying this way gives them a chance to recruit as well as PSU, let alone pass them. It’s simply what I think is the best way moving forward to try to stay competitive with them.

There are plenty of people out there with the “chip on the shoulder mindset” that don’t want to just go to the clear #1 destination and “blend” in. Those are the guys Iowa needs to identify early on and build a relationship with.

They wouldn’t just want to beat the PSU team, but also beat that top guy at PSU. Maybe someone like Austin O’Connor. I know it isn’t an easy thing to do or close to a perfect system, but I do think it’s the best option for now…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT