ADVERTISEMENT

Active shooter at Garlic Festival in Ca

my next door neighbor is a teacher and it's odd to hear her talk about the kids . very strange. very very strange.

Fair enough, I will disagree. Or perhaps I need to clarify that the US has a LACK of parenting, which is a major problem. But if we disagree, that's fine and we can keep it civil.

This is true. People have children only to turn them over to strangers to raise.

Reactions: RTM58
This is true. People have children only to turn them over to strangers to raise.

Or in many cases, the parents divorce and the kids end up practically raising themselves because mom or dad have to work extra hard to make ends meet. I don't really have the solution to this one, but one thing I notice in my travels to foreign countries is the ones without a government safety net tend to have stronger family units. There is no welfare or food stamps to fall back on, so you have to stick together and work it out. That doesn't mean all of these people are "happy", but it does tend to keep families together, or perhaps I should say families stay together because they know that's the only way to make it work.

Reactions: RTM58
Fair enough, I will disagree. Or perhaps I need to clarify that the US has a LACK of parenting, which is a major problem. But if we disagree, that's fine and we can keep it civil.
We do disagree. I do not think that the U.S. has a lack of parenting problem or a general parenting problem. I think that’s a bugaboo that typically serves to address widespread cognitive dissonance around topics of societal concern. Even if it were a major problem, I have never heard anybody offer even the beginnings of a solution to it.

We do disagree. I do not think that the U.S. has a lack of parenting problem or a general parenting problem. I think that’s a bugaboo that typically serves to address widespread cognitive dissonance around topics of societal concern. Even if it were a major problem, I have never heard anybody offer even the beginnings of a solution to it.
more god and church . couldn't hurt

how so? people staying home, doing homework. going as a family to church on sundays. not out running the town. I don't see how that could be a bad thing.
You seem to be stringing together behaviors randomly. How would you make people have “more god and more church?”

You seem to be stringing together behaviors randomly. How would you make people have “more god and more church?”
there is the problem. you think it's somebody's job to "make people" . like feds? and having a family that goes to church together is some "troubling random behavior which is strung together by a freak who is dillusional" or something. yep, that's a problem.

there is the problem. you think it's somebody's job to "make people" . like feds? and having a family that goes to church together is some "troubling random behavior which is strung together by a freak who is dillusional" or something. yep, that's a problem.
I think literally the opposite. I don’t think, at all, that anybody should be attempting to force more god and more church on anybody. You offered more god and more church as an intervention; I am asking how you would implement that intervention. Also, who and what are you quoting in this post?

People who think guns are banned in California are pretty stupid, I agree. But here's the thing - and I feel like this point cannot be overemphasized - that's not what he said. He clearly stated "Doesn't California have some of the most strict gun laws?"

And by any reasonable metric, yes, California does have some of the strictest gun laws in America.
Which means nothing when the rifle was purchased in Nevada.

my next door neighbor is a teacher and it's odd to hear her talk about the kids . very strange. very very strange.

I taught in a public school for several years. I am only surprised something like this HASNT happened in that community. The number of kids totally lacking any sense of humanity is staggering and that was true long before Trump became the easy excuse to explain this away. Society as a whole has been desensitized to how one's actions physically affect other humans. If there was actual video of the victims of this shooting bleeding and dying, there would be millions of hits on that video. I remember several years ago when a journalist was beheaded by one of those freedom-fighting groups. I caught a student trying to watch the video of it on a school computer. How sick do you have to be to want to see that? That is a rhetorical question, of course, because there are dozens of vermin on this very forum who would watch something like that.

Only in this ****ing country can you get mass murdered at a garlic festival.
tenor.gif

Thank you. You've thought it through. I think requiring insurance would take a constitutional amendment. I'm not sure that mental evaluations are going to prevent anything either.

Obamacare didn't require an amendment per John Roberts.

You forgot to add the most important problem the US has:

A parenting problem.

This seems so disingenuous. Unless you think parenting suddenly just drove off a cliff the last few years. My generation (X) were literally nicknamed latchkey kids...

The root cause of the problem is, shocking as it may be, ridiculous gun laws. Let's take this case. A 19 year old who can't legally drink or gamble can buy an AK-47 type weapon. Huh? Let's make getting hand guns a huge gigantic pain in the arse with serious penalties if you get caught with one without a license. And let's revist the Federal Assault Weapons Ban and take these weapons out of the general public for a start.

We have the per capita gun deaths of a third world country. Our peers in Asia and Western Europe do not. The number one difference is access to guns. Can we take all guns away? Of course not, but something needs to be done.

We also have do have a serious mental health issue and implementing more funding and figuring out how to have an accountability system for these people is needed. The frustrating part is in almost all cases, most of these folks had been treated in the past for mental illness and were not getting proper care or supervision.

If you were to look for a boogeyman catalyst, I would say it is perhaps the internet. I don't think the internet has been good for those with harmful thoughts (people always forget how many of gun related deaths are from suicide in the US) and/or isolationist, anti social behavior and it feeds the monster. And children are now getting hooked into it by age 4-7.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSU_UCLA
Settle down, Hoss. Your Twitter link references people who think guns are banned in California. IHFBnBB didn't say guns are banned in California. He said California has some of the strictest gun laws. And in fact California does have some of the strictest guns laws in the country. The Giffords Law Center rates California's gun laws an 'A' and ranks them #1 in the entire country.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/scorecard/#CA

Go easy on him. Those may have been the first words I saw him post on here that weren't links to other people's thoughts.

So George Washington and Thomas Jefferson understood psychiatry before it even existed as a term in 1808? Even though it was passed in 1798 and the first person really credited with studying mental illness was a layperson in 1796. And in 1788 King George fell deeply into the grip of what we would now call bipolar depression and dementia but his treatment consisted only of a “mad doctor” placing him in a restraining jacket, making him take daily purgatives to poop and vomit, and long sessions where the doctor stared at him silently.

But yeah, the founders knew all about PTSD and depression in 1798 decades and even centuries before actual doctors did. Because MAGA!

King George's condition was medical. It was either porphyria or arsenic poisoning-neither of which is a mental-health issue.

"Toxic masculinity" is not the problem. The US used to me much more "masculine", mysoginistic even, and access to guns was pretty much as open then as it is now, yet mass shootings are a relatively new phenomenon in the US. What has changed drastically is the disintegration of the nuclear family, unfettered access to violent entertainment (particularly children), constant vitriol perpetrated behind a technological wall of anonymity, and a society that encourages its members to find ways no matter how asinine to identify themselves as a victim. US Society in general is on the edge with stress. Mentally speaking we all have a hair trigger to outrage and violence compared to 50 years ago. The violence we see on the news are just pictures on a screen because we are desensitized to it, seen it so many times. When society dehumanizes it is no wonder that some in it do inhumane things.

“Toxic masculinity” is as distinct from “masculinity” as “toxic water” is distinct from “water.”

Dehumanization and desensitization to violence and cruelty are notable elements of toxic masculinity.

Did you spend high school in a garbage can? Asking for a friend and HROT.

Desensitization to violence is the result of overexposure. Is the media as a whole toxiciy mascuine? The ideal US role model for masculinity back in the day was John Wayne. I have a feeling that you wouldn't want society to revert back to that

Health is health. The distinction between “physical” health and “mental” health is fallacious and problematic.
Yep. I have dealt with a loved one who faced a serious mental health crisis. It was serious, and every bit as much as if they had been diagnosed with a "physical" disease that could possibly kill. It was an eye opener because there was no network of friends and community to help us through those 18 months. We would have had that support if they had instead had a serious "physical" medical crisis. Due to the negative stigma of mental illness, all parties felt the need to keep it secret. That's a shame, because we sure as hell could have used the support, looking back at it now.

Yep. I have dealt with a loved one who faced a serious mental health crisis. It was serious, and every bit as much as if they had been diagnosed with a "physical" disease that could possibly kill. It was an eye opener because there was no network of friends and community to help us through those 18 months. We would have had that support if they had instead had a serious "physical" medical crisis. Due to the negative stigma of mental illness, all parties felt the need to keep it secret. That's a shame, because we sure as hell could have used the support, looking back at it now.
That’s really sad and unfortunate, and I am sorry that you had to endure it. The false distinction between mental and physical health is so harmful in so many ways for so many people and communities.

Reactions: noleclone2
Desensitization to violence is the result of overexposure.
The research literature on this relationship does not actually support your conclusion.

I have published a couple of papers that look at this topic specifically, and the relationship between between exposure to violent media and emotional reactivity and behavior is complex and mediated/moderated by a large number of other variables.

Someone has a paper to write or a class to teach... Have an absolute insane take and try to troll others into engaging into a circular argument.

The research literature on this relationship does not actually support your conclusion.

I have published a couple of papers that look at this topic specifically, and the relationship between between exposure to violent media and emotional reactivity and behavior is complex and mediated/moderated by a large number of other variables.
I'd be interested in reading. What are the titles?

That’s what they said at the time. That’s not what modern physicians say. If he had porphyria then half of his relatives would have the same condition which they did not.

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal....n-of-george-iii/11014485.blog?firstPass=false

Swelling feet, yellow eyes, and brown urine? Psychological? There is a good article about this at the Colonial Williamsburg website. The prognosis there is arsenic poisoning from the "medicine" he was being treated with. They actually found elevated arsenic levels in his hair samples that were tested.

I'd be interested in reading. What are the titles?
I would prefer not to share my specific articles on this site, but you can find dozens of relevant studies through the Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention (CSEA), including mine, which directly investigate the relationship between exposure to emotional/affective stimuli and various aspects of personality, reactivity, and behavior.

Swelling feet, yellow eyes, and brown urine? Psychological? There is a good article about this at the Colonial Williamsburg website. The prognosis there is arsenic poisoning from the "medicine" he was being treated with. They actually found elevated arsenic levels in his hair samples that were tested.

Remember his “physicians” were pumping him full of all kinds of snake oil “medicines”. He probably was being poisoned from their “cures” as well, but he was someone with dementia and fits of mania as his underlying problem.

“Doctors” or physicians were a complete sham until the late 1800s and most of what they believed was wrong even when studied through the 1950s. They were still telling you to smoke to improve your lung and throat health through the 1950s.

kool-dr-penguin-02-2015.jpg

johnny-comic-01-2015.jpg

And my extended family owned a popular magazine in England in the 1880s through 1920s that published mainly world explorer logs, food blogs, world events and chapters of science fiction novels published one chapter at a time (HG Wells War of the Worlds was first published there) so I have several decades worth of collected leather bound editions of the magazines (half a year each) and in there are all kinds of hilarious (now) ads for opiates to drug down babies, cocaine to wake up babies, electric dildos to doctors and other “professionals” to cure women’s mental illness and “orneriness”, Anal plugs to cure “moodiness” and migraine headaches, real working rifles and cannons for toddlers, etc...

So basically....doctors were full of %*%+ and just making things up as they went until the 1950s or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT