ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Ferrari transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're talking about John Smith, not some sleezeball. I greatly doubt that he covered up anything. He probably followed whatever protocols the Pokes have in place for situations like this one.
Then you don’t know john that well at all. Not saying he’s a sleazeball- because he’s not.

but - getting guys out of trouble without the university finding out/investigating/making it a big deal?

john has been doing that for decades.

Then you don’t know john that well at all. Not saying he’s a sleazeball- because he’s not.

but - getting guys out of trouble without the university finding out/investigating/making it a big deal?

john has been doing that for decades.
Gable had some characters….. Royce comes to mind…… good thing there weren’t camera phones in those days …. Social media but he’d of never tolerated this kid and I think Smith had enough….. car accidents one thing….. sexual assault is entirely different…..and it’s become beyond obvious this kid is guilty

Gable had some characters….. Royce comes to mind…… good thing there weren’t camera phones in those days …. Social media but he’d of never tolerated this kid and I think Smith had enough….. car accidents one thing….. sexual assault is entirely different…..and it’s become beyond obvious this kid is guilty
This, John may had his kids back.. but wouldn’t tolerate this shit

He and Spencer Lee will be the 2nd and 3rd 5-time All Americans in school history, joining Kemerer
Thanks for the correction, I keep forgetting about the extra Covid-19 eligibility year. Iowa wrestling obviously needs to update their website as well.

We're talking about John Smith, not some sleezeball. I greatly doubt that he covered up anything. He probably followed whatever protocols the Pokes have in place for situations like this one.
Not a sleazeball, just old school like J Rob was where you are going to deal with it inside the program and keep the “academic” people out of it.
Don’t work like that anymore on a college campus

John Smith seems like a decent guy and has done alot for the sport. Now, Mark Manning I wouldnt say not unlikely but would think highly likely of sleezballing to win.

Warner has absolutely lived up to his ranking. The perception issue is that he was overhyped a bit when he came in and beat the brakes off miklus right away. From that point, he got paired with Spencer as a 4x champ potential guy when the overall resume didn't bear that out. That was an extremely unfair expectation.

He has gotten steadily better and more consistent each year. On pace to be a 4x AA. Has always competed with class. Has always wrestled his best in March. In short, an outstanding hawkeye. Hope he finds his way to the top of the podium this year.

Warner has absolutely lived up to his ranking. The perception issue is that he was overhyped a bit when he came in and beat the brakes off miklus right away. From that point, he got paired with Spencer as a 4x champ potential guy when the overall resume didn't bear that out. That was an extremely unfair expectation.

He has gotten steadily better and more consistent each year. On pace to be a 4x AA. Has always competed with class. Has always wrestled his best in March. In short, an outstanding hawkeye. Hope he finds his way to the top of the podium this year.
This is just my opinion, but the disappointment by fans on Warner is because he came out his redshirt year scoring a bunch of points. Like you mentioned he murdered Miklus who was a 4xAA and was looking to score always. Then (and I’ve been saying it for years) when he got pinned by Wilcke in OT in the midlands semis the switch got flipped and the Warner we see today was born.

I don’t think people rag on his results, they rag on his style and lack of conditioning in 3rd periods sometimes.

really happy to have warnerov and big tone at the top of the lineup 2 of my favorites, but i would bet neither one of them is satisfied with their results thus far.

Reactions: natchrlman
This, John may had his kids back.. but wouldn’t tolerate this shit
That's all that I'm saying. Just because one of his guys does something bad doesn't make Coach Smith guilty of something. Few people have done as much for our sport as John Smith.

I'm an old-timer, but I remember that the Ames police had Harold Nichols on speed dial just in case any of his guys got caught doing something that they shouldn't. It was an open secret in Ames back in the day.

This is just my opinion, but the disappointment by fans on Warner is because he came out his redshirt year scoring a bunch of points. Like you mentioned he murdered Miklus who was a 4xAA and was looking to score always. Then (and I’ve been saying it for years) when he got pinned by Wilcke in OT in the midlands semis the switch got flipped and the Warner we see today was born.

I don’t think people rag on his results, they rag on his style and lack of conditioning in 3rd periods sometimes.

Your misconception based on the above false narrative is what’s lead to your disappointment.

Reactions: el dub

Yeah, but this isn't actually true. The Miklus match was an outlier. And Miklus is a guy who could throw up some stinkers with the best of them. In that same tournament, Warner had 5-2 and 3-1 wins over Jake Woodley and Andrew Dixon (Dixon failed to qualify and finished 18-20 that year). He then lost to Woodley 5-4 at UNI two weeks later. At Midlands he had an 8-2 win over a guy with a 9-10 record and a 3-1 win over Jake Smith (either in OT or at the buzzer if I remember). Then he lost in SV to Wilcke and got beat twice on the backside. And his wrestle off margin against Wilcke was razor thin as well.

Miklus was the only quality win he had that year where he scored more than 5 points. It was not a realistic representation of who Warner was at that time, but the perception has persisted and leads fans to think that his style changed or he regressed offensively.

Yeah, but this isn't actually true. The Miklus match was an outlier. And Miklus is a guy who could throw up some stinkers with the best of them. In that same tournament, Warner had 5-2 and 3-1 wins over Jake Woodley and Andrew Dixon (Dixon failed to qualify and finished 18-20 that year). He then lost to Woodley 5-4 at UNI two weeks later. At Midlands he had an 8-2 win over a guy with a 9-10 record and a 3-1 win over Jake Smith (either in OT or at the buzzer if I remember). Then he lost in SV to Wilcke and got beat twice on the backside. And his wrestle off margin against Wilcke was razor thin as well.

Miklus was the only quality win he had that year where he scored more than 5 points. It was not a realistic representation of who Warner was at that time, but the perception has persisted and leads fans to think that his style changed or he regressed offensively.

I think he also benefited early, before his tendencies had been well-scouted, by opponents shooting freely and getting burned by his excellent counter attack. As his career progressed his opponents were more careful about their shots, which caused the scoring in his matches to go down.

I remember by his sophomore year I thought Brands should have told Warner he owed one thousand push-ups each Monday, but that he could knock one hundred off for each shot he took the prior week. Because the kid needed to initiate offense! I also thought he still had a child's body and face, and that as he matured physically he was going to be a contender no matter what.

But it does seem that one or two matches, plus his earlier credentials, perhaps caused people's expectations to be exaggerated early.

Last edited:
I think he also benefited early, before his tendencies had been well-scouted, by opponents shooting freely and getting burned by his excellent counter attack. As his career progressed his opponents were more careful about their shots, which caused the scoring in his matches to go down.

I remember by his sophomore year I thought Brands have told Warner he owed one thousand push-ups each Monday, but that he could knock one hundred off for each shot he took the prior week. Because the kid needed to initiate offense! I also thought he still had a child's body and face, and that as he matured physically he was going to be a contender no matter what.

But it does seem that one or two matches, plush his earlier credentials, perhaps caused people's expectations to be exaggerated early.
Your first paragraph is spot on. He came into DI with a legit, world class go behind and a variation of a knee pick. Sadly, they are about the most easily scouted and avoidable positions in DI. Simply don't shoot on him from space and keep your hips, or at least the far leg back in the ties.

On top of that, you could start to tell that Warner often went a bit rubber leggy in the 3rd period. So, some of his opponents would actually start to open up in these positions figuring they could win the 50/50's if Warner was short on gas.

Even with the above recipe, you still couldn't make a mistake early on your feet or Warner would make you pay and only 1 or 2 guys at the weight per year were good enough to match him in mat wrestling to have a chance to catch up if they fell behind.

Lastly, what is funny to me, is how successful he was early on in Freestyle. Because, his skill set is so pre-dominantly folkstyle...

I remember by his sophomore year I thought Brands should have told Warner he owed one thousand push-ups each Monday, but that he could knock one hundred off for each shot he took the prior week. Because the kid needed to initiate offense! I also thought he still had a child's body and face, and that as he matured physically he was going to be a contender no matter what.

But it does seem that one or two matches, plus his earlier credentials, perhaps caused people's expectations to be exaggerated early.
very true and i think a legitimate knock on him is that he has not developed a secondary leg attack to complement his touch and go knee pull. everybody sits on it now. dean was sitting on it the whole match in the finals and hit an easy go behind when warner finally blinked and shot.

Read a rumor on The Open Mat forum that it is ASU. I know this rumor is almost worthless.

Forgot to put "Open" in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
He is done wrestling and Willie was right about never wrestling again. Will soon be working on pushing cellmates out of his cell without getting whistled. Sad for okie state team and fans. Felt bad for them for a few minutes but I'm over that.

Yea it’s sad….. but what’s even sadder is what he did to that girl….. if that was my daughter I’m not sure he’d make it to trial…..the first thing you should teach your son is to respect women…… a man with that sort of physical prowess forcing that sick shit on that girl…… piece of shit….. plain and simple ….. put his ass in jail

"You get what you earn".
giphy.gif

Sex Offender Registry...here we come!

If Ferrari was still at OSU, I'd wager this disappears, similar to how similar charges vanished for Steveson at Minnesota.

But there's no alumni to defend him in his current situation.
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets reduced to a lesser sentence. What the would be, I have no idea.

Even if it is reduced, it seems like there has been enough smoke about other incidents to think others may come forward if they choose to. Some pretty nasty stuff was out there about trying to solicit a minor.
It looks like Albert has been out of control for awhile now. At least the documented incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT