ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama becomes first state to make gender-affirming care for minors a felony

So again I will ask, can you name a single mental health disorder where we not only encourage the belief but we as a society ridicule anyone correcting it?

I was in the field for a fair amount of time and I cannot.

I’m struggling to think of another where allowing the belief is harmless to that person and those around them. Or where reinforcing it is the healthiest mental health choice.

You claimed I had never shot a gun and that I wanted to take away guns from law abiding people and I suggested you come to my house carrying your gun and wearing your maga hat.
Which is funny, you know, because I don’t own a gun or a MAGA hat.

Only a moron would believe having a child's tonsils removed requires parental permission but changing ones birth gender should be decided by teachers and leftists. The left has lost it's freaking minds........
No one other than a legal guardian can give consent for treatment of a minor to receive drugs or surgery, but in Alabama even they legal guardians no longer have that right.

Teachers should be able to respect a child's wishes not to disclose their struggle with gender idenity if the child is fearful of their parents reaction.

I’m struggling to think of another where allowing the belief is harmless to that person and those around them. Or where reinforcing it is the healthiest mental health choice.
Really?

Add, adhd, ocd...

Hell I could make an argument for ADHD and OCD being an advantage over "normal".

But we still dont tell people who correct the "Hyper activity" ect they are wrong.

Let me clarify. It specifically states that gender non-conformity is not a mental disorder. That goes in the face of what a lot of people in this thread are saying, that being trans is a mental illness. It instead defines the the disorder as the distress or impairment resulting from the strong desire to be another gender.
And this is the problem with all this. anorexia is a type of dysphoria. They feel like their body doesn't fit what their brain says it should be. As far as i know, we dont offer weight loss options for an anorexic person. Mostly because it is unhealthy and unsafe. But losing weight doesn't really fix the underlying problem.

Many anorexic people became anorexic because they were not happy and are not in control of most things in their life. Anorexia is a way that gives a person control again. This same person who might have been anorexic 25 years ago, now might be trans instead.

Gender dysphoria and anorexia are both symptoms of other underlying issues. They are not the actual problem for most people.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Yes they have. They are a minor child on hormone therapy prescribed by healthcare professionals. We would need to go to jail for that.
I have lots of questions, i ask these out of true curiosity and wanting to unsterstand.

Were you involved in the decision making process with your child?

What do the doctors say will happen if they stop taking testosterone?

does your kid enjoy getting the testosterone shot?

Did they have mental health issues before coming out as trans?

Do they receive thereapy after coming out as trans?

Looking back, can you see how they were in the wrong gender before coming out?

Do they have transgender friends?

I want to know from a parent what your real thoughts are on being trans. It is ok to support your child and their decisions without fully buying into it. It is also ok to support them and and believe they are trans. I am just interested in how they came to this decision? What did the medical providers do before confirming they were trans?

Only a moron would believe having a child's tonsils removed requires parental permission but changing ones birth gender should be decided by teachers and leftists. The left has lost it's freaking minds........
Yes...that's what we're saying. lol How anyone can be this stupid is beyond me.

Reactions: nelly02
No one other than a legal guardian can give consent for treatment of a minor to receive drugs or surgery, but in Alabama even they legal guardians no longer have that right.

Teachers should be able to respect a child's wishes not to disclose their struggle with gender idenity if the child is fearful of their parents reaction.

No, teachers should not have anything to do respecting a child's wishes. If the child doesn't want his or her teacher to inform the parents of the issue that is fine, but that is where it needs to stop. A teacher or any other school personnel should not encourage or facilitate any actions in anyway on the part of the student unless the parents consent. Until that child reached the age of consent, the parents are responsible for the well being of the child and that is the way it has always been and needs to remain.

If the child doesn't want his or her teacher to inform the parents of the issue that is fine, but that is where it needs to stop.
In Alabama the teachers are required to inform parents regardless of the child's wishes. So in Alabama it is not "fine."

Yes...that's what we're saying. lol How anyone can be this stupid is beyond me.
According to the study below, 80% of trans kids have considered suicide. 40% have attempted suicide.

With such high suicide rates for trans, there is no way the school should be making the decisions on what is or is not reported. If a kid goes to a counselor, and the counselor determines the kid is a danger to himself or others, most states have a duty to report this. This duty to report supercedes the confidentiality laws in most states.

As a teacher, why would you want this responsibility? This is out of a teachers realm of expertise and is dangerous to keep these things confidential. How would you feel if a kid confids in you and then kills themself a week later? Because this will happen.

Reactions: goldmom
According to the study below, 80% of trans kids have considered suicide. 40% have attempted suicide.

With such high suicide rates for trans, there is no way the school should be making the decisions on what is or is not reported. If a kid goes to a counselor, and the counselor determines the kid is a danger to himself or others, most states have a duty to report this. This duty to report supercedes the confidentiality laws in most states.

As a teacher, why would you want this responsibility? This is out of a teachers realm of expertise and is dangerous to keep these things confidential. How would you feel if a kid confids in you and then kills themself a week later? Because this will happen.

Yes, the school would have a duty to report any ideations of suicide. However, if the child fears their parents reaction to their gender idenity and the school is required to out them, the outing itself could trigger suicidal thoughts or actions.

Reactions: Gimmered
Yes they have. They are a minor child on hormone therapy prescribed by healthcare professionals. We would need to go to jail for that.
I have no problem with a child on hormone therapy if they have gone through puberty

Yes, the school would have a duty to report any ideations of suicide. However, if the child fears their parents reaction to their gender idenity and the school is required to out them, the outing itself could trigger suicidal thoughts or actions.
How exactly is the school qualified to make the determination that the kid is suicidal. 8 out of 10 trans kids have suicidal ideation. I think the numbers support the idea that every kid who confides in a teacher as being trans should be reported just to be on the safe side.

Its weird that trans supporters site the decrease in suicide rate after the child receives gender affirmation treatment as the main reason to support gender affirmation treatment, but for some reason they don't want to report the child to the parents when they first come out as trans. One would think it might be better to have the school facilitate a safe way for the kid to tell their parents they are trans. Maybe like get a counselor, teacher/principal, kid, and parents all together so they can talk about the issues. I mean, its not like the parents wont find out eventually.

How exactly is the school qualified to make the determination that the kid is suicidal. 8 out of 10 trans kids have suicidal ideation. I think the numbers support the idea that every kid who confides in a teacher as being trans should be reported just to be on the safe side.

Its weird that trans supporters site the decrease in suicide rate after the child receives gender affirmation treatment as the main reason to support gender affirmation treatment, but for some reason they don't want to report the child to the parents when they first come out as trans. One would think it might be better to have the school facilitate a safe way for the kid to tell their parents they are trans. Maybe like get a counselor, teacher/principal, kid, and parents all together so they can talk about the issues. I mean, its not like the parents wont find out eventually.
How is the state more qualified to judge the reaction of parents than the child? Also why is the state so concerned with parents being notified when at the same time the state is taking away the parent's right to seek treatment for their child?

Crazy law not allowing experimental medicine on children! Tyranny I say!
So… regulation? Based on what? Made-up, or at best, unbelievably rare and extreme stories regarding the issue, bogeyman bullshit?

Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
So… regulation? Based on what? Made-up, or at best, unbelievably rare and extreme stories regarding the issue, bogeyman bullshit?

Lol.
Best to get ahead of it. We just witnessed a man winning an ncaa womens sporting event. Who knows where this is heading next.

Reactions: goldmom
How is the state more qualified to judge the reaction of parents than the child? Also why is the state so concerned with parents being notified when at the same time the state is taking away the parent's right to seek treatment for their child?
Did you actually read what I wrote? I didn't say anything about the state. Parents send their kids to school trusting that the school will take care of their kids while they are away. Parents trust that the school will notify them if things are not going well or if there are issues/behaviors that the parents might want to know about.

If a kid was trans and the school knew about it and did not tell the parents, or possibly even advised the kid about being trans. What happens if that kid shoots someone else or commits suicide? I would sue the school district for failing to act appropriately.

Maybe there are other things that are causing the kid to make the claims such as sever underlying mental health issues. The teachers and school do no know the full scope of what is going on with that child. It is the schools responsibility to notify the parents of changes with the students. Anything less than this will lead to lawsuits against the school.

Here is a story from just last year where the school is now being sued for failing to take appropriate action. Why would any school want to take on this responsibility.
The reason this is so important specifically for trans kids is because of the crazy high suicide risk for trans kids. I would also hope the school would notify the parents if they saw a distinct change in the behavior of the child indicating they may be severely depressed or have a mental illness.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I didn't say anything about the state. Parents send their kids to school trusting that the school will take care of their kids while they are away. Parents trust that the school will notify them if things are not going well or if there are issues/behaviors that the parents might want to know about.

If a kid was trans and the school knew about it and did not tell the parents, or possibly even advised the kid about being trans. What happens if that kid shoots someone else or commits suicide? I would sue the school district for failing to act appropriately.

Maybe there are other things that are causing the kid to make the claims such as sever underlying mental health issues. The teachers and school do no know the full scope of what is going on with that child. It is the schools responsibility to notify the parents of changes with the students. Anything less than this will lead to lawsuits against the school.

Here is a story from just last year where the school is now being sued for failing to take appropriate action. Why would any school want to take on this responsibility.
The reason this is so important specifically for trans kids is because of the crazy high suicide risk for trans kids. I would also hope the school would notify the parents if they saw a distinct change in the behavior of the child indicating they may be severely depressed or have a mental illness.
Not sure your article has anything to do with trans kids. Here is what I know, schools try to be a safe place for all kids. If a kid tells a teacher in confidence that they are having issues with gender that teacher has a responsibility to keep the child safe. In most cases, that would involve helping the child share their struggles with their parents. In some cases, that is not a safe choice for the child. Look at some of HROT posters that dismiss transgender people. They refuse to acknowledge that a person could feel their body doesn't reflect their true gender. It would be scary for a child to be forced to come out to a parent that is disgusted by the idea of being transgendered.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Why do you have a problem with puberty blockers? If a person stops taking the blockers puberty progresses as normal, the effects are reversable.
Lol no they are not, you honestly think a child who has been on hormone therapy since they were 10 and came off at age 18 wouldn’t have any problems?

Reactions: Hawk_82
Not sure your article has anything to do with trans kids. Here is what I know, schools try to be a safe place for all kids. If a kid tells a teacher in confidence that they are having issues with gender that teacher has a responsibility to keep the child safe. In most cases, that would involve helping the child share their struggles with their parents. In some cases, that is not a safe choice for the child. Look at some of HROT posters that dismiss transgender people. They refuse to acknowledge that a person could feel their body doesn't reflect their true gender. It would be scary for a child to be forced to come out to a parent that is disgusted by the idea of being transgendered.
The article linked does not specifically have anything to do with trans. It only relates because the school has an obligation to keep the kids safe (we both agree on this acording to what you say in your post). I would contend that the act of stating you are trans automatically (percentage wise) puts the kid at a higher risk of committing suicide or having suicidal ideation. If a death occurs, and a school knew about the issues leading up to this death, their is a good chance the school could also be held liable for their inaction.

I do not believe schools (teachers, principals, guidance counselors) are equipped with the medical knowledge and psychiatric training to determine who is considered a suicide risk or not. Since such a high proportion of trans kids are at risk for suicide, I think erring on the side of caution is the best way to go.

If a teacher determines that the kid is not safe to tell their parents about them being trans, I think 2 things.

1. Why would it be safe to send that same kid home to their parents house. If the kid is coming out to a teacher and at school, chances are they are also most likely exhibiting certain behaviors at home that might also tip off the parents that they are trans. If the parents truly are a danger to the child, then DHS should be called to get the kid out of the unsafe home.

2. The fact that the kid has to hide their identity from their parent has to be stressful. This stress can also worsen any underlying mental health issues the child may have (also increasing the risk of suicide). Coming out to parents and loved ones is frequently cited as one of the most difficult times for a kid who is trans, bi, gay, etc.

I believe the school needs to work with the kid to find a safe way to tell the parents. If during the meeting, the school, counselor, etc determine the parents are a danger to the child, then call DHS and leave this in the hands of the professionals.

There is a scope of practice for teachers and school administrators, and this type of stuff does not fall within that scope of practice. This is why most states have laws that mandate counselors to report when they feel a kid is a danger to themself or others. Parents have a right to know what is going on with their kids at school. The school is not protected under Hippa laws, so the school needs to recognize when the problem is out of their scope of expertise.

The article linked does not specifically have anything to do with trans. It only relates because the school has an obligation to keep the kids safe (we both agree on this acording to what you say in your post). I would contend that the act of stating you are trans automatically (percentage wise) puts the kid at a higher risk of committing suicide or having suicidal ideation. If a death occurs, and a school knew about the issues leading up to this death, their is a good chance the school could also be held liable for their inaction.

I do not believe schools (teachers, principals, guidance counselors) are equipped with the medical knowledge and psychiatric training to determine who is considered a suicide risk or not. Since such a high proportion of trans kids are at risk for suicide, I think erring on the side of caution is the best way to go.

If a teacher determines that the kid is not safe to tell their parents about them being trans, I think 2 things.

1. Why would it be safe to send that same kid home to their parents house. If the kid is coming out to a teacher and at school, chances are they are also most likely exhibiting certain behaviors at home that might also tip off the parents that they are trans. If the parents truly are a danger to the child, then DHS should be called to get the kid out of the unsafe home.

2. The fact that the kid has to hide their identity from their parent has to be stressful. This stress can also worsen any underlying mental health issues the child may have (also increasing the risk of suicide). Coming out to parents and loved ones is frequently cited as one of the most difficult times for a kid who is trans, bi, gay, etc.

I believe the school needs to work with the kid to find a safe way to tell the parents. If during the meeting, the school, counselor, etc determine the parents are a danger to the child, then call DHS and leave this in the hands of the professionals.

There is a scope of practice for teachers and school administrators, and this type of stuff does not fall within that scope of practice. This is why most states have laws that mandate counselors to report when they feel a kid is a danger to themself or others. Parents have a right to know what is going on with their kids at school. The school is not protected under Hippa laws, so the school needs to recognize when the problem is out of their scope of expertise.
Teachers are not alone at school. There are school counselors and psychologists as well who would be more qualified to determine risks. Just because a child is transgender doesn't mean they are suicidal.

Teachers often send children home to places that may not be safe. Our only option is to report any suspected abuse to CPS. We don't have the power to remove a child from their parents care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3boysmom
Lol no they are not, you honestly think a child who has been on hormone therapy since they were 10 and came off at age 18 wouldn’t have any problems?

Mayo Clinic disagrees with you.

Use of GnRH analogues pauses puberty, providing time to determine if a child's gender identity is long lasting. It also gives children and their families time to think about or plan for the psychological, medical, developmental, social and legal issues ahead.

If an adolescent child decides to stop taking GnRH analogues, puberty will resume.

So do these experts:

There are no known irreversible effects of puberty blockers. If you decide to stop taking them, your body will go through puberty just the way it would have if you had not taken puberty blockers at all.

If you consider yourself a trans supporter, please explain to me what is transphobic about the following paragraphs. Up till now, it seems like most research supporting gender affirmation is based on the reduction of suicide rates, what if there was another way to decrease suicide rates for trans people, would you still be for gender affirmation for trans kids under the age of 18?

The sex of a person is the biological state of being female or male, based on sex organs, chromosomes, and endogenous hormone profiles, and is genetically encoded into a person at the moment of conception, and it cannot be changed. Some individuals, including minors, may experience discordance between their sex and their internal sense of identity, and individuals who experience severe psychological distress as a result of this discordance may be diagnosed with gender dysphoria.

The cause of the individual's impression of discordance between sex and identity is unknown, and the diagnosis is based exclusively on the individual's self-report of feelings and beliefs. This internal sense of discordance is not permanent or fixed, but to the contrary, numerous studies have shown that a substantial majority of children who experience discordance between their sex and identity will outgrow the discordance once they go through puberty and will eventually have an identity that aligns with their sex.

As a result, taking a wait-and-see approach to children who reveal signs of gender nonconformity results in a large majority of those children resolving to an identity congruent with their sex by late adolescence.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I don’t have a gender non conforming child but I do have a child who struggled mightily with anxiety and depression. As we were going through it my only concern was his safety. That he do nothing rash while in that space. So I wonder your thoughts on the child being able or not being able to keep it from their parents. Ideally the parents would be loving and supportive and the child comfortable including them. But I know that not every parent is loving, supportive, or safe. If you found out that your child was confiding in another adult and waited to include you, how would you feel?
I feel like the three of us could share some stories over beers.

Are you trying to say that a parents normal reaction would be to beat the shit out of their kid?

Growing up I had 3 friends that it was obvious were gay, years later 2 of them said that their dad's would try to beat the gay away.....one of the dad's was a little league coach and an extremely nice man (or so I thought). I know it's strictly ancedotal, but I think you'd be surprised.

Teachers are not alone at school. There are school counselors and psychologists as well who would be more qualified to determine risks. Just because a child is transgender doesn't mean they are suicidal.

Teachers often send children home to places that may not be safe. Our only option is to report any suspected abuse to CPS. We don't have the power to remove a child from their parents care.
I get what what you are saying. I did not say all trans kids are suicidal. but statistically speaking, 8/10 have suicidal thoughts. Would you want to know if your kid belonged to a group where 40% of them commit suicide?

What do you think these same parents are going to do when they find out their girl has been going by the name Jack for the past year at school? Do you think they will handle that any better? What is the end goal of hiding this from the parents? How will that outcome be better in the long run? Seems to me like it is just delaying the inevitable.

What makes the teacher/administrater, counselor, or psychologist a better judge of the kids well being than the parent? Wouldn't you rather get this kid an appropriate workup by an actual doctor? What if the kid had a close family member die and they were struggling with this, and that is what triggered the decision to be trans (this has happened).

I have not seen a single person say their child started gender affirmation therapy because their school counselor recommended it. Point is, the school is not the kids medical provider, they need to stop acting like they are.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I get what what you are saying. I did not say all trans kids are suicidal. but statistically speaking, 8/10 have suicidal thoughts. Would you want to know if your kid belonged to a group where 40% of them commit suicide?

What makes the teacher/administrater, counselor, or psychologist a better judge of the kids well being than the parent?
Yes, I would want to know and I hope that my attitudes about gay and transgender people are accepting enough that my child would come to me with their concerns. However, if for some reason my child was afraid that I would react badly I would be happy if they shared their struggles with a trusted teacher. I wouldn't want my child to think no one understands them. I was a teacher and I trust teachers to help children make good choices.

You don't seem to understand that the child is being the judge of how their parents will react and the school staff is respecting the child's wishes.

Use of GnRH analogues pauses puberty, providing time to determine if a child's gender identity is long lasting. It also gives children and their families time to think about or plan for the psychological, medical, developmental, social and legal issues ahead.

If an adolescent child decides to stop taking GnRH analogues, puberty will resume.

So do these experts:

There are no known irreversible effects of puberty blockers. If you decide to stop taking them, your body will go through puberty just the way it would have if you had not taken puberty blockers at all.
From the article
Use of GnRH analogues might also have long-term effects on:

• Growth spurts
  • Bone growth and density
  • Future fertility — depending on when pubertal blockers are started
Children may have their height checked every three months. Bone density is also checked periodically. If bone growth or density is a concern, your child's health care provider might prescribe a different medication, stop treatment with GnRH analogues or recommend the best time to start cross-hormone therapy.

If children with male genitalia begin using GnRHanalogues early in puberty, they might not develop enough penile and scrotal skin for certain gender affirming genital surgical procedures, such as penile inversion vaginoplasty. Alternative techniques, however, are available.

In addition, delaying puberty beyond one's peers can be stressful. Your child might experience lower self-esteem.

So do these experts:

Effects of puberty blockers​

If you were assigned male at birth, puberty blockers will stop or limit:

• growth of facial and body hair
  • deepening of the voice
  • broadening of the shoulders
  • growth of Adam’s apple
  • growth of gonads (testes) and erectile tissue (penis)
If you were assigned female at birth, puberty blockers will stop or limit:

• breast tissue development
  • broadening of the hips
  • monthly bleeding
In both cases, puberty blockers will temporarily stop or limit:

• growth in height
  • development of sex drive
  • impulsive, rebellious, irritable or risk-taking behaviour
  • accumulation of calcium in the bones
  • fertility

• Notice the word temporary in the last paragraph but it’s not in the first 2

Yes, I would want to know and I hope that my attitudes about gay and transgender people are accepting enough that my child would come to me with their concerns. However, if for some reason my child was afraid that I would react badly I would be happy if they shared their struggles with a trusted teacher. I wouldn't want my child to think no one understands them. I was a teacher and I trust teachers to help children make good choices.

You don't seem to understand that the child is being the judge of how their parents will react and the school staff is respecting the child's wishes.
Children, especially teens, even more-so, teens with a mental illness do not always make good choices. This is why sometimes adults have to step in to make good decisions for the child.

The schools do not have all the medical records for the child. They do not know if the child has attempted suicide or had suicidal thoughts before (this is the number 1 risk for suicidal behavior). They do not know the family situation (other than what the student tells them). The school does not know if the kid has access to guns or pills in the house. These are all important factors that a young kid may not know the answers to and may not tell the complete truth even if they do know the answer.

You make it sound like it’s a snap decision. I’ve said before that I don’t think teachers should be encouraging anything, but oftentimes, a kid just needs a person to listen and see them. If they happen to ask that a teacher NOT tell their parents, I think it’s reasonable to expect that the teacher respect that, at least in the short term. The teacher should also consult their mentor, appropriate administrator or counselor, and get an idea of how to proceed.
Children, especially teens, even more-so, teens with a mental illness do not always make good choices. This is why sometimes adults have to step in to make good decisions for the child.

The schools do not have all the medical records for the child. They do not know if the child has attempted suicide or had suicidal thoughts before (this is the number 1 risk for suicidal behavior). They do not know the family situation (other than what the student tells them). The school does not know if the kid has access to guns or pills in the house. These are all important factors that a young kid may not know the answers to and may not tell the complete truth even if they do know the answer.
Schools are like villages. Somebody knows something about somewhere. To some degree it is actually hard to find a school there at least some of the teachers don’t know enough parents to the point that all of the teachers are know by someone at the school, at least to provide some frame of reference where they’re not totally in the dark about the home.

Again, you seemed to have missed important information.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT