ADVERTISEMENT

Amanda Gorman racially profiled

So what did Amanda Gorman do to deserve this hassle?
I don't know if she did or didn't "deserve" it.

I wasn't there. I haven't heard the security officer's side of it. And neither did you or the OP witness the event or hear the other party.

But even if she didn't "deserve" it, it happens - rightly or wrongly - across a broad swath.

I know you'll argue frequency but you can't do that from anecdotal accounts.

Imo, if you haven't been hassled unnecessarily by a security guard or even a police officer ... you're doing it wrong.

Or maybe you aren't doing anything ...
I don't know if she did or didn't "deserve" it.

I wasn't there. I haven't heard the security officer's side of it. And neither did you or the OP witness the event or hear the other party.

But even if she didn't "deserve" it, it happens - rightly or wrongly - across a broad swath.

I know you'll argue frequency but you can't do that from anecdotal accounts.

Obviously she just have been up to something or the guard wouldn't have stopped her.

Imo, if you haven't been hassled unnecessarily by a security guard or even a police officer ... you're doing it wrong.

Or maybe you aren't doing anything ...
No shit. I was pulled over in high school and questioned about whether or not I knew a party was going on that I knew about. Luckily, I hadnā€™t made the right turn towards the party.

I also had the cops called on a party I was hosting in my early 20ā€™s. I was renting my grandparents house in the middle of nowhere. Iā€™d loved there two years. The neighbors called the cops and told them the house was supposed to be vacant. I was threatened with trespassing unless I could prove I lived there. Calling my grandpa at 2 AM was not fun.

There are 100ā€™s of stories like this in rural Iowa.

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
Is there context to what happened in this scenario? I am sure the security guard targeted her because of race and age , but how it transpired is curious based on Amanda's telling of the story.
A young black woman was asked by security if she resided in a neighborhood or lived in a building ?
Where was she tailed, in a building? I know it doesnt matter, because what happened happened , but the "how" behind what happened in these tweets that explode across the interwebs always is interesting to me..

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Is there context to what happened in this scenario? I am sure the security guard targeted her because of race and age , but how it transpired is curious based on Amanda's telling of the story.
A young black woman was asked by security if she resided in a neighborhood or lived in a building ?
Where was she tailed, in a building? I know it doesnt matter, because what happened happened , but the "how" behind what happened in these tweets that explode across the interwebs always is interesting to me..

Reactions: Tom Paris
No shit. I was pulled over in high school and questioned about whether or not I knew a party was going on that I knew about. Luckily, I hadnā€™t made the right turn towards the party.

I also had the cops called on a party I was hosting in my early 20ā€™s. I was renting my grandparents house in the middle of nowhere. Iā€™d loved there two years. The neighbors called the cops and told them the house was supposed to be vacant. I was threatened with trespassing unless I could prove I lived there. Calling my grandpa at 2 AM was not fun.

There are 100ā€™s of stories like this in rural Iowa.

I can tell you understand how it feels to be followed while walking in your neighborhood and stopped because of your appearance. Your examples are so relevant.

You're the one that said the unnecessary hassle could be avoided by not doing anything. I'm just pointing out how dumb that is.
This is exactly the opposite of what I am arguing, although maybe my post where I mentioned "doing nothing" caused confusion.

Simply meant if you haven't ever been hassled by the police maybe it's because you're not doing anything (such as posting all day on a message board).

I can tell you understand how it feels to be followed while walking in your neighborhood and stopped because of your appearance. Your examples are so relevant.
These stories get their own threads if it were black people. You donā€™t think white people have been profiled by police? Keep burying your head in the sand.

Reactions: hawkedoff
This is exactly the opposite of what I am arguing, although maybe my post where I mentioned "doing nothing" caused confusion.

Simply meant if you haven't ever been hassled by the police maybe it's because you're not doing anything (such as posting all day on a message board).
This seemed obvious to me. But Karen is on a crusade. Her and Chris need to turn off the internet and have a date night.

These stories get their own threads if it were black people. You donā€™t think white people have been profiled by police? Keep burying your head in the sand.

Police stopping a high school kid on his way to a high school party asking if he knew anything about a high school party is profiling? Being called to a home that wasn't vacant when it should have been is profiling?

Whatcha drinking tonight? Iā€™m jealous.
flatten;scale;jpeg_quality=70

This is the problem. None of us were there. We have no freaking details. We literally know nothing

yet some make accusations. For FFS, can we at least wait until there are more than 2 sentences on social media.
All these threads are the same. One side takes them at face value. The other side asks questions and begins being skeptical. Now, they could be 100% true but they always just seem to be missing context or more proof than word of mouth and a blue check mark on Twitter.

But make no mistake....this ONLY happens to black people. šŸ™„

Police stopping a high school kid on his way to a high school party asking if he knew anything about a high school party is profiling? Being called to a home that wasn't vacant when it should have been is profiling?
I was pulled over because I was profiled as a high school kid. They had heard rumblings of a party in the sticks so they pulled over high school kids to ask questions. Heck, I even got the flashlight jabbed in my shoulder.

No, the house wasnā€™t supposed to be vacant. I had been there for 2 years. Change that story to a young black person and tell me it wouldnā€™t get play on here or Twitter. Heck, thatā€™s what this thread is about. I even had pictures on the wall and it was fully furnished.

I was pulled over because I was profiled as a high school kid. They had heard rumblings of a party in the sticks so they pulled over high school kids to ask questions. Heck, I even got the flashlight jabbed in my shoulder.

No, the house wasnā€™t supposed to be vacant. I had been there for 2 years. Change that story to a young black person and tell me it wouldnā€™t get play on here or Twitter. Heck, thatā€™s what this thread is about. I even had pictures on the wall and it was fully furnished.

matching the description of the suspect isn't profiling. And you were in fact headed right where they suspected you were.

sorry on your house party. I read it like you were there while your grandparents were gone. I missed that you lived there.

I have kind of a similar story (but yours is better).

Went to visit my sister out of state and was pulling out of her driveway and just had it in Drive and was pulled over!

Officer starts with the old "What was you doin' down there boy?" I said visiting my sister.

Well, ol' Roscoe noticed my out-of-state plates and was having none of it. Proceeded with the questioning until I put my hand up and said
"She's down there RIGHT now, let's go and ask her!"

I swear he proceeded with the interrogation and me with the begging, pleading, wailing "Let's go ask her " for 25 minutes.

Anyway, my sister later told me there had been some break-ins and frankly didn't seem nearly as perturbed as I was.

So racist and bigoted that Obama was President for 8 years and Kamala Harris is currently Vice President.

Chill the **** out with this crap Chris
You conveniently omitted electing David Duke's ideal candidate in between and terrorists with confederate flags storming the capitol 2 months ago. Wake the **** up, cyhawk. The entire country may not be racist and bigoted, it's mainly the red areas where most of the MAGAts live, especially down south.... although it exists everywhere.

This is the problem. None of us were there. We have no freaking details. We literally know nothing

yet some make accusations. For FFS, can we at least wait until there are more than 2 sentences on social media.

I hope, and assume, many of you are familiar with this case. People lost their jobs over this.

I am not saying that what she is saying isn't true or doesn't have merit, I am saying it is very dangerous to assume what happened here without all the information, which in this case, took 2 years!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT