ADVERTISEMENT

American sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson tests positive for cannabis, Olympic hopes in doubt

This article says:

After the London Olympics, international regulators relaxed the threshold for what constitutes a positive test for marijuana from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 150 ng/m. They explained the new threshold was an attempt to ensure that in-competition use is detected and not use during the days and weeks before competition.
Can someone who knows more about this than I do put those numbers in context? Was she smoking in the tunnel before the race? Second hand smoke 2 weeks before her race?

She didn’t know her mom was dying - couldn’t plan for that.
Would be a lot more sympathy if she was some pretty white girl from Iowa.
Lets give the benefit of the doubt - lets say this is the first drug related rule she ever broke in pro track (for all we know, thats true). She has a hard time coping - totally understandable. No one knows how theyre going to handle that until theyre in that situation. Here is where I struggle: A professional athlete has resources for therapy, prescriptions, support groups, etc. No way Nike would risk the bad PR by not doing anything to help her - were all of those avenues exhausted?

Reactions: pink shizzle
She didn’t know her mom was dying - couldn’t plan for that.
To me this still isn't a valid excuse. I get it, it hurts. My mom died at 21 out of nowhere as well.

I hate that weed is an illegal substance and can get someone suspended/banned but the rule is in place so I just don't feel bad.

Would be a lot more sympathy if she was some pretty white girl from Iowa.
Unfortunately for some this is a true statement. A lot of people believe that Iowa girl who said she just ate a pork burrito.

LOL at all the tough guy "rules are rules" posters.

Like they don't cry and bitch if they get speed camera tickets. If shit's stupid, it's stupid, period. Which includes testing Olympic athletes for pot, speed cameras and many other bullshit, pointless rules and laws. I don't have a huge upwelling of sympathy for her, but c'mon man - the only thing that garners less sympathy from me is narcs and hall pass monitors, which we seem to have way too many of around here.
Boom. torbee wins gold.

This article says:

After the London Olympics, international regulators relaxed the threshold for what constitutes a positive test for marijuana from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 150 ng/m. They explained the new threshold was an attempt to ensure that in-competition use is detected and not use during the days and weeks before competition.

Back when I was a daily smoker, I tested at 17 ng/ml. Over 150 ng/ml is Cheech and Chong level. Holy Mother of Jesus - what an idiot.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Lets give the benefit of the doubt - lets say this is the first drug related rule she ever broke in pro track (for all we know, thats true). She has a hard time coping - totally understandable. No one knows how theyre going to handle that until theyre in that situation. Here is where I struggle: A professional athlete has resources for therapy, prescriptions, support groups, etc. No way Nike would risk the bad PR by not doing anything to help her - were all of those avenues exhausted?
She is not a professional athlete, unless she signed a contract barely weeks after competing in the NCAA finals. https://lsusports.net/news/2021/06/20/track-field-richardson-wins-us-title-in-100-meters/
Plenty of the support systems you refer to are not available, tho honestly, LSU likely has plenty of support staff.

Calories. Sugar. Hangover.

In nearly every measurable way, alcohol is a much worse mind-altering substance for a top notch athlete.

Look at Michael Phelps - dude smokes copious amounts of ganga - is the best competitive swimmer of all time.
The point was:eek:ne can get you in trouble the other not.
I’m not sure anyone has said that they are ok with marijuana being banned but let’s be honest about what this is about, following rules. Either you think you are above them or you don’t. It’s really that simple.
you are free to break the rules but there are consequences. You are also free to try and get them changed.

I watched her final and she mentioned her biological mom died. Got the impression that it wasn't the person who raised her.

Regardless of the above, she is a great talent, and it is a sad situation.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The point was:eek:ne can get you in trouble the other not.
I’m not sure anyone has said that they are ok with marijuana being banned but let’s be honest about what this is about, following rules. Either you think you are above them or you don’t. It’s really that simple.
you are free to break the rules but there are consequences. You are also free to try and get them changed.
Yeah, I get that. And I'm not losing sleep over this chick's dilemma. That said, the righteous "If You Just Follow The Rules" lectures from scolds on an issue where the rule is as clearly asinine and stupid as this actually piss me off more than the alleged injustice. Like I said, Narcs and Hall Monitors are the SOTE in my book.

Doesn't sound too distraught. Maybe she wasn't that into going over to Japan or something

Like they don't cry and bitch if they get speed camera tickets. If shit's stupid, it's stupid, period. Which includes testing Olympic athletes for pot, speed cameras and many other bullshit, pointless rules and laws. I don't have a huge upwelling of sympathy for her, but c'mon man - the only thing that garners less sympathy from me is narcs and hall pass monitors, which we seem to have way too many of around here.

???? Wtf.
the consequences here are markedly different.
if I spent my whole life dreaming of getting to Iowa city and the speed cameras in Cedar Rapids would prevent me from getting there if I were speeding you might have a point.

Reactions: billanole
???? Wtf.
the consequences here are markedly different.
if I spent my whole life dreaming of getting to Iowa city and the speed cameras in Cedar Rapids would prevent me from getting there if I were speeding you might have a point.
You are being way too literal. The only point I have is I dislike scolds and narcs and people who say "just follow the rules" when the rule is CLEARLY asinine and pointless. In ANY situation - trivial or life-altering. That's all.

She is not a professional athlete, unless she signed a contract barely weeks after competing in the NCAA finals. https://lsusports.net/news/2021/06/20/track-field-richardson-wins-us-title-in-100-meters/
Plenty of the support systems you refer to are not available, tho honestly, LSU likely has plenty of support staff.
Yea, she's on the Nike roster as a professional.
Terrance Laird also signed (with Addidas) recently, and I think he's forgoing a year of eligibility to do it.

Reactions: billanole
So she says. I would guess she has smoked weed multiple times in her life and is using her birth mother's death as an excuse. I could be wrong, but that's what my instinct tells me.

Probably. But shes also not making excuses. She's owning her decision and suspension.

I'd prefer that she say that she just smoked pot instead of saying it was a coping strategy to deal with a tragedy.

Regardless, she knew the rules. Time to deal with the consequences.

At least give her credit for not making the excuse all the civil unrest and racial inequality in the USA caused her stress and made her do it...she could have easily pulled the R card out and created a mess.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I'd prefer that she say that she just smoked pot instead of saying it was a coping strategy to deal with a tragedy.

Regardless, she knew the rules. Time to deal with the consequences.

She is dealing with theconsequences. She hasn't made an excuses. She has accepted her suspension

So she says. I would guess she has smoked weed multiple times in her life and is using her birth mother's death as an excuse. I could be wrong, but that's what my instinct tells me.
FWIW, I haven't really seen her use it as an excuse. I saw her mention it, but for the most part, she seems to have owned it. More of the Twitter warriors putting words in her mouth than anything else.

I have a side hustle making endurance supplements for elite athletes. The first thing our formulators do is make sure that each ingredient and its amount are approved by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and World Anti- Doping Authority (WADA). Between the pork burritos and pot, these athletes, at such a high level are either incredibly stupid, surrounded by incredibly stupid coaches/handlers or again are incredibly stupid. The athletes we sponsor, who are more on the level of athletes who win regional marathons are so anal retentive that they made us do additional reference tests to make sure the products were legitimate and did not contain anything that would ruin their careers. I just don't understand how someone could tank their career based on such carelessness. What a talent of a woman and what a waste. Either change the rules or be surrounded by people who have your best interests at heart. Or do stupid stuff and get caught. Which you will.

FWIW, I haven't really seen her use it as an excuse. I saw her mention it, but for the most part, she seems to have owned it. More of the Twitter warriors putting words in her mouth than anything else.
If she's mentioning it then she's using it as her excuse to why she used. For the record I hope she gets to run.

I have a side hustle making endurance supplements for elite athletes. The first thing our formulators do is make sure that each ingredient and its amount are approved by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and World Anti- Doping Authority (WADA). Between the pork burritos and pot, these athletes, at such a high level are either incredibly stupid, surrounded by incredibly stupid coaches/handlers or again are incredibly stupid. The athletes we sponsor, who are more on the level, of athletes who win regional marathons are so anal retentive that they made us do additional reference tests to make sure the products were legitimate and did not contain anything that would ruin their careers. I just don't understand how someone could tank their career based on such carelessness. What a talent of a woman and what a waste. Either change the rules or be surrounded by people who have your best interests at heart. Or do stupid stuff and get caught. Which you will.
There's a lot of wisdom there. I don't feel too sorry for someone that breaks a rule, like that, especially at THAT level, and then gets caught. The Olympics are in a few weeks... chill.

However, marijuana being illegal is just so fvcking stoopid.

There's a lot of wisdom there. I don't feel too sorry for someone that breaks a rule, like that, especially at THAT level, and then gets caught. The Olympics are in a few weeks... chill.

However, marijuana being illegal is just so fvcking stoopid.
I don't disagree with the pot issue and people are always trying to skirt the legal/illegality line. Case in point being Jamaican sprinters like Bolt eating yams because there are natural steroid like substances (which are currently not tested) in them. However, modern tests are extremely sophisticated and the athlete will get busted. Sha Carri was one of my favorite athletes and I am bummed she lost her chance. For a sprinter, 4 years is a life time. Very sad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT