ADVERTISEMENT

American sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson tests positive for cannabis, Olympic hopes in doubt

So her suspension ends July 27th, but the 1st round of the womens 100m is July 30th - why wouldnt she be eligible to run? 4x100 starts 8/5, so she'll definitely be running that it sounds like.

You are being way too literal. The only point I have is I dislike scolds and narcs and people who say "just follow the rules" when the rule is CLEARLY asinine and pointless. In ANY situation - trivial or life-altering. That's all.
The point of rules is so that you don’t have a million interpretations. Otherwise rules (needed rules) would be useless.

The point of rules is so that you don’t have a million interpretations. Otherwise rules (needed rules) would be useless.
Don't disagree.

But there is also a not-that-small percentage of rules that are arbitrary, unfair, stupid, pointless and unenforceable. And the knee-jerk reaction of "rules are there to be followed" people totally ignores that point and those people annoy me. :)

• Haha
Reactions: SoItIsII
You are being way too literal. The only point I have is I dislike scolds and narcs and people who say "just follow the rules" when the rule is CLEARLY asinine and pointless. In ANY situation - trivial or life-altering. That's all.
Nothing you say here is wrong, Except, those were the rules for the Olympics and if you want to participate then you need to follow them, no matter how stupid and pointless they are. This is really something that needs to be addressed by the Olympic Committee. Actually all leagues, for that matter. Does the NFL still ban players for marijuana?

Reactions: NoleinATL
Two things that seem at odds can be true at the same time. It's a dumb rule considering there aren't any known performance enhancements from it, and it's dumb using it in a time period where you know you might get tested for it.

Oh, and this is by no means saying she shouldn't be allowed to run. She should.

But yeah, it's still dumb to smoke it when you know you'll get tested.

1) i have never understood athletes at a high level that dont know what they are putting in their bodies and if its allowed (thinking about steroids in baseball especially). Dont know if she just said “f**k it, ill deal with whatever

2) the Olympics suck

3) marijuana should be legal

Reactions: GOHOX69
207230569_10109229343728129_2482507801777849653_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SoItIsII
Yeah, I get that. And I'm not losing sleep over this chick's dilemma. That said, the righteous "If You Just Follow The Rules" lectures from scolds on an issue where the rule is as clearly asinine and stupid as this actually piss me off more than the alleged injustice. Like I said, Narcs and Hall Monitors are the SOTE in my book.
Your opinion. Others think differently.

Sorry, but it makes no difference whether a person thinks a rule is stupid or not. IT‘S THE RULE. PERIOD. END OF STORY. All she had to do is NOT toke up. Not hard.

Sorry, but it makes no difference whether a person thinks a rule is stupid or not. IT‘S THE RULE. PERIOD. END OF STORY. All she had to do is NOT toke up. Not hard.
That is simpleton thinking, IMO.

If everyone lived by that credo, we would still have slavery, women wouldn't vote, booze would be illegal, etc., etc.

In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that it is any individual's DUTY to actively work to repeal, replace and defy any rule that is anti-ethical, immoral or even downright pointless and stupid. That is how we advance our shared society.

The strange thing about this is that in track the Olympics are slowly becoming irrelevant. People are running for times and money, and the Olympics aren’t required for either.

They’re removing one of the fastest women in the world for a non-performance enhancing drug. It just lessens the competition and makes the Olympics worse.

If Usain Bolt hadn’t run in the 2008 Olympics, it wouldn’t have changed anything for him. The guy actually laid down faster times in the following events. The people who benefited from his participation were the audience and the Olympics.

If everyone lived by that credo, we would still have slavery, women wouldn't vote, booze would be illegal, etc., etc.

In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that it is any individual's DUTY to actively work to repeal, replace and defy any rule that is anti-ethical, immoral or even downright pointless and stupid. That is how we advance our shared society.
Preach. Amen, sir.

If Usain Bolt hadn’t run in the 2008 Olympics, it wouldn’t have changed anything for him. The guy actually laid down faster times in the following events.
Did anyone else think the 100 & 200 WRs happened in the 08 Olympics too?

Did anyone else think the 100 & 200 WRs happened in the 08 Olympics too?
They did, but WR’s can happen anywhere.

In removing Richardson, they’re pulling the only person within a tenth of Fraser-Price.

It’s either going to be a slow race or a boring one.

Heard her talk after she won the Olympic trials in the 100. She’s very animated with a side of cra cra.

They did, but WR’s can happen anywhere.

In removing Richardson, they’re pulling the only person within a tenth of Fraser-Price.

It’s either going to be a slow race or a boring one.
I was specifically referring to Bolts WRs - I thought for sure they were at the 08 olympics, but they were at 09 Berlin games

Reactions: mnole03

Comparing this to slavery... LOL

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

Skarate up, torbee. Sometimes you have to get into good trouble. And, be willing to handle the consequences of said action.

I bet you're fun at parties

Can someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject explain why were so quick to unilaterally say weed isn't performance enhancing?
My education on the subject is limited to what was said on Chopped 420, but from what I understand, there are strains that can alter bronchial tubes (theoretically more oxygen) as well as relieve anxiety (pre-race anxiety for example) and everyone knows relaxed sprinters are the best sprinters. Of course it doesn't compare to doping, various steroids, hormones, etc but is that a reason weed is on the list?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT