ADVERTISEMENT

American sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson tests positive for cannabis, Olympic hopes in doubt

If everyone lived by that credo, we would still have slavery, women wouldn't vote, booze would be illegal, etc., etc.

In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that it is any individual's DUTY to actively work to repeal, replace and defy any rule that is anti-ethical, immoral or even downright pointless and stupid. That is how we advance our shared society.
That is a very bizarre, illogical, and hard to follow comparison there.

That is simpleton thinking, IMO.

If everyone lived by that credo, we would still have slavery, women wouldn't vote, booze would be illegal, etc., etc.

In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that it is any individual's DUTY to actively work to repeal, replace and defy any rule that is anti-ethical, immoral or even downright pointless and stupid. That is how we advance our shared society.
Doesn’t mean the rule is good and you don’t try to change it. This isn’t a civil rights or humanitarian issue where breaking the rule take courage. She smoked pot and it’s prohibited in her sport. Not prohibited for everyone, the sport she chose has rules and you need to follow them.

Hopefully this will spur needed changes to doping rules.

That said, if you must have marijuana to cope with personal tragedy, so much that you knowingly risk an Olympic dream, you have much bigger issues to address. I hope the Olympic committee will get her the mental health help she needs.

That said, if you must have marijuana to cope with personal tragedy, so much that you knowingly risk an Olympic dream, you have much bigger issues to address. I hope the Olympic committee will get her the mental health help she needs.
She didn’t say she had to have it and this is no different from someone having a glass of scotch to calm down

No one, not even her said she must have it.

If she had a drink (Or 10) to deal with it, we would have not even thought about it.

She has owned her actions and accepted her suspension, something not many of us would have probably done as gracefully.

AOC just leveled that accusation. The IOC won't be impressed.
If AOC says it’s racism, then it must be racism.

I think we all know I am all for legalizing weed. I agree that the Olympic rules are ridiculous to include marijuana as a banned substance. But I’m also in the camp of, it’s a rule, she knew it, she chose to violate it. Actions have consequences.

If my employer suddenly announces that they are Implementing drugs screens, I’ll either quit smoking or find a different job. My selfishness shouldn’t dictate someone else‘s policies.

If my employer suddenly announces that they are Implementing drugs screens, I’ll either quit smoking or find a different job. My selfishness shouldn’t dictate someone else‘s policies.
Interesting way to look at it. You’ve been brainwashed to feel that a corporate entity suddenly imposing a draconian and stupid new rule and threatening you with loss of employment if you don’t obey it makes YOU the selfish one if you don’t follow it?

Damn, that’s sad.

Interesting way to look at it. You’ve been brainwashed to feel that a corporate entity suddenly imposing a draconian and stupid new rule and threatening you with loss of employment if you don’t obey it makes YOU the selfish one if you don’t follow it?

Damn, that’s sad.
Is it any different than having to wear a suit and tie? Or any other forced dress codes? Just because I don’t like those rules doesn’t mean they are rules that the company feels is important for their mission. Selfishly, I want to wear flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt to work every day. And I could if I want to go work on a beach somewhere and make peanuts. However, I want a job that pays well and supports my family. It’s a trade off. We all make sacrifices every day to conform to rules, even if we feel they are draconian and stupid.

Reactions: 24 so far
Is it any different than having to wear a suit and tie? Or any other forced dress codes? Just because I don’t like those rules doesn’t mean they are rules that the company feels is important for their mission. Selfishly, I want to wear flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt to work every day. And I could if I want to go work on a beach somewhere and make peanuts. However, I want a job that pays well and supports my family. It’s a trade off. We all make sacrifices every day to conform to rules, even if we feel they are draconian and stupid.
Yes. Dress codes are in place for any number of common sense reasons: safety, team cohesion (in the case of a uniform or branded clothes), impact on customers (i.e. need to present professionally) etc.

Some rules are arbitrary and not based in common sense.

Also, if you look back at my post - I never said you shouldn’t follow your hypothetical new company’s stupid new rule. I said it was sad that you’d consider yourself selfish for not wanting to follow it. Which is sad.

Yes. Dress codes are in place for any number of common sense reasons: safety, team cohesion (in the case of a uniform or branded clothes), impact on customers (i.e. need to present professionally) etc.

Some rules are arbitrary and not based in common sense.

Also, if you look back at my post - I never said you shouldn’t follow your hypothetical new company’s stupid new rule. I said it was sad that you’d consider yourself selfish for not wanting to follow it. Which is sad.
Sad that you're so entitled you feel it's your right to tell someone how they should run a business that they own/run/created etc.

Make your own business and you can run it how you see fit.

She let America down. The Olympics became a bit less interesting. She was a flamboyant figure in one of the most high profile events. She is one of the few Olympic athletes with name recognition.

Damn, that’s sad.
No, a company is a private entity and has the right to impose any rule they feel appropriate. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Should I be able to come into your house and demand you allow me to smoke?

You are sad.

Count Biden into the simple thinking crowd it appears…

You're a self proclaimed genius, go fix it F. Lee.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject explain why were so quick to unilaterally say weed isn't performance enhancing?
My education on the subject is limited to what was said on Chopped 420, but from what I understand, there are strains that can alter bronchial tubes (theoretically more oxygen) as well as relieve anxiety (pre-race anxiety for example) and everyone knows relaxed sprinters are the best sprinters. Of course it doesn't compare to doping, various steroids, hormones, etc but is that a reason weed is on the list?

Ban strength training as well imo

“life is hard, it’s even harder when your stupid”
e3218f9f-53e7-474c-b97b-74d1528f58e3_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT