ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Fleming transferring

please enlighten me. Iowa needs some guards so they need to go out and get a couple for next year. Can't do that and give Baer a scholarship. Am I wrong? If you can't get two guards this offseason then by all means give it to Baer. If you don't think Iowa needs some experienced guards then you didn't pay good enough attention this past year.
You know what? Not everything in college athletics is about winning. Sometimes it's just important to do the right thing.
Baer had numbers comparable to Ryan Bowen did his freshman year. I think he deserves a scholarship.

I saw him enjoying Johnson County's finest chicken this evening with Wagner, and would have bet you $100 he was not leaving. Color me shocked.

You can certainly tell the "Iowa nice" crowd in here, you get a good break, and find a rotation caliber walk on, that's the time to try to use it to your advantage, not use the first available scholarship on someone already on your team. I'd much rather take a shot on finding a high caliber guard who could be a real difference maker and elevate the program, but I guess lil Nicky's feelings should really come first.

We are all well aware of Fran's track record landing high caliber guards sans Peter Jok (Marble was originally a Lickliter recruit). Don't you think Fran already is and has been going for those type of players. At this point now that there's 2 open scholly's it would be both foolish and a bit disrespectful not to give 1 of them to Baer whom continues to outperform several players still on scholarship.

Last edited:
I saw him enjoying Johnson County's finest chicken this evening with Wagner, and would have bet you $100 he was not leaving. Color me shocked.

Were you at the Vine? Are they even still open? Man they had good wings. I thought I remembered the one on Gilbert closing but the one on the strip staying open?

Baer has earned a scholarship. Good luck getting any other high-quality walk-ons to come to Iowa if a proven major contributor isn't given a scholarship.
Why should Iowa have to rely on "high quality walk-ons"? I'll take scholly players, preferably from Chicago/Detroit/StL metro area.

Reactions: HawkGem11
THIS THIS THIS. SO MUCH THIS

anchorman-0.gif

I guess what is best for the team just goes out the door then? sorry but no

What is best for the team is to show future recruits that you treat your current players right. Baer proved to be better than any of the six players Fran gave schollies to last year, he deserves one next year.

Reactions: mstp1992
Why should Iowa have to rely on "high quality walk-ons"? I'll take scholly players, preferably from Chicago/Detroit/StL metro area.
Nobody said anything about "relying" on walk-ons. You need walk-ons to fill out a roster, every school has them and they contribute at a number of schools. Kids like Baer pass up other scholarship opportunities for a chance to play at a high level and earn themselves a scholarship. He has proven himself to be better than a number of our scholarship players, he has earned himself a scholarship. Seems like an awfully Tom Creanish move to not reward the kid for being better than the kids that you deemed worthy of scholarships. That would make Baer a scholarship-worthy player, no?

This is a big fail for us. The kid was dialed into one of the HS programs in the country.

It also hurts our already razor thin guard court. We have two natural guards and a swing in Peter. One, Brady, showed himself largely unprepared for B!G ball. The other, Christian, didn't play enough to get a real handle on his ability.

How will this look if Moss can't get or stay eligible?

Fran has something up his sleeve. I would be shocked if we did not pick up another player...or two.

We are all well aware of Fran's track record landing high caliber guards sans Peter Jok (Marble was originally a Lickliter recruit). Don't you think Fran already is and has been going for those type of players. At this point now that there's 2 open scholly's it would be both foolish and a bit disrespectful not to give 1 of them to Baer whom continues to outperform several players still on scholarship.

Okay, I'm not trying to be the grammar police, but I can't ignore this one since it seems you made the effort to use whom in a sentence. No offense. Whom is the objective form of who, which means it is used in a prepositional phrase (of whom, for whom, to whom) or when receiving the action (..not to give one to Baer whom I watched play basketball for Iowa this season).

Otherwise, use who. "...Baer who continues to outperform several players..."

Again, nothing personal. Fwiw, I think a lot of your comments are spot on, so I'm really not trying to be a dick.

I heard he couldn't play defense and we all saw how great our defense was the last 10 games and no defense against Villanova at all. But he could shoot the rock. Hutton gone and now him with a wasted year. I'm betting he could
Make a few layups.

I doubt these guys leave if the coaching staff doesn't nudge them. I mean, theres a ton of playing time up for grabs next year.

Look around the conference, Its just the reality of what goes on at this level now days.

You must not have a career position that requires personnel decisions, or your employees would hate you and your chances for success would be extremely low.
So as a person who makes personnel decisions, wouldn't you try to bring in the best talent you can? Guess I don't get why people are saying he has to give Baer a scholarship even if it means passing on a better player. Sure you're loyal to your employees but if you have openings you always look for the best talent internally and externally.

Reactions: amahawk
The Hawks will be good next year of this I am certain. Players will transfer and graduate , others will be brought in to take their place and nothing this coaching staff has done here indicates they wil not be very good.

What is going on?? Late season collapse and now 2 transfers? Could be nothing, but I say something is up...

So as a person who makes personnel decisions, wouldn't you try to bring in the best talent you can? Guess I don't get why people are saying he has to give Baer a scholarship even if it means passing on a better player. Sure you're loyal to your employees but if you have openings you always look for the best talent internally and externally.

Apparently not, guessing we have a lot of middle managers on this board who are happy with where they are at and have no shot at ever actually managing anything meaningful. When you are actually in charge of things you can't always be worrying about people's feelings over what's good for the entire program or company. Keep both scholarships open unitl you're sure you can't find anyone better than what we currently have on the roster, then Fran can give it to Baer.

If you have valuable employees, do you reward them with raises or opportunities for advancement, when possible? If not, your chances of developing a successful team aren't going to be very good.

Reactions: mstp1992 and spbc7
If you could actually get two players who are clearly going to be better than Baer then great. Give them the scholarships.

The chances of that happening are extremely unlikely.

It would be surprising to get one player better than him for next year.

Reactions: ichawk24
You can seldom or never know who was best, only who was satisfactory.

Now I am SUPER excited to see Moss in action. For 2 other players at or near his position with equal or slightly more experience to leave says to me that he must be pretty darned good. Those guys are leaving with open spots next year and multiple years of potential playing time ahead of them. Moss and Williams (slightly different position but there is some overlap given his size) must be tearing it up in practice.

I hope these 2 stay put!

Okay, I'm not trying to be the grammar police, but I can't ignore this one since it seems you made the effort to use whom in a sentence. No offense. Whom is the objective form of who, which means it is used in a prepositional phrase (of whom, for whom, to whom) or when receiving the action (..not to give one to Baer whom I watched play basketball for Iowa this season).

Otherwise, use who. "...Baer who continues to outperform several players..."

Again, nothing personal. Fwiw, I think a lot of your comments are spot on, so I'm really not trying to be a dick.
Jesus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT