ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Ludwig

Too much Herky kool aid being drank. In the end, the only serious interest we had for our head coach opening last time were two ex-hawk guys. The KF hire was not a splash thats for sure. The last OC hire was a washed up Greg Davis. Headliners arent coming here. Doesnt mean there arent good people but Iowa is still Iowa. Thats okay btw.
while I generally agree with this...the landscape is completely different in 2023. Realignment and money...

When has KF ever said the names of coaches he's missed on in public?
I’d be shocked if he did. I doubt Iowa/KF would ever announce anything like that publicly. Almost nobody would.

That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be reported to have happened.

This was indeed a public announcement if memory serves, but this same thing is essentially what happened with Bruce Pearl when Iowa eventually hired either Likliter or Fran. It was definitely to appease the fanbase.

KF himself doesn’t give a shit, but the athletic department might?

I heard it's already in the works. Grubb's Iowa offense just has to hit 25ppg for the next 2 years and the HC gig is his. 😊
If Iowa ever gets this and Phil can keep the defense where it is at Iowa will win a national championship.

If Iowa ever gets this and Phil can keep the defense where it is at Iowa will win a national championship.
Hmmmm..... Might want to ask OSU if having a very good offense and elite defense ensures a National Championship. It's only the price of admission. It gives you a chance to compete with elite teams who also have that. That's what Iowa, with a bad offense paired with their elite defense, can't do today.

I’d be shocked if he did. I doubt Iowa/KF would ever announce anything like that publicly. Almost nobody would.

That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be reported to have happened.

This was indeed a public announcement if memory serves, but this same thing is essentially what happened with Bruce Pearl when Iowa eventually hired either Likliter or Fran. It was definitely to appease the fanbase.

KF himself doesn’t give a shit, but the athletic department might?
Wouldn't announce it but would leak it. Got it.

I find this a laughable statement by ESPN......

The news was first reported by ESPN's Pete Thamel on Monday night. After a heavy and notably public pursuit by Notre Dame, Ludwig's buyout of $2.8 million proved to be too great a hurdle for the Fighting Irish.

The news was first reported by ESPN's Pete Thamel on Monday night. After a heavy and notably public pursuit by Notre Dame, Ludwig's buyout of $2.8 million proved to be too great a hurdle for the Fighting Irish.
They are only paying their OC a million right now. Freeman is only making 3 million, so it isn't inconcievable

Reactions: littlez
When has KF ever said the names of coaches he's missed on in public?
Good point, but I don’t think KF is the one mentioning stuff in public. But, as someone else said, he doesn’t care to appease fans, so if my statement were to be true it would be the athletic departments way of saying “hey, we tried…” but overall I still think it’s KFs decision, and if it is I find it hard to believe he has contacted anyone yet, so this Ludwig and Grubb talk is very out of character for him…

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Grubb would be a long shot imo. I think he will be eyeing a HC job instead of moving laterally.

Ludwig also is near the end so would be a good fit for KF and the rest of his tenure. Might come down to money and we have it. Like the way Utah plays- one of the teams I view as tough in that region.

It's funny to know there is an athletic department that is dumber than nebraska.
I mean that program could be making 100 million in annual tv revenue by joining the BIG, but instead chose to make 60-70million by staying independent. It makes total sense.

I wonder how common it is for OC contracts to carry buyouts and how much Ludwig's moving around a lot factored into it.

Too much Herky kool aid being drank. In the end, the only serious interest we had for our head coach opening last time were two ex-hawk guys. The KF hire was not a splash thats for sure. The last OC hire was a washed up Greg Davis. Headliners arent coming here. Doesnt mean there arent good people but Iowa is still Iowa. Thats okay btw.
It's only "just Iowa" because the people doing the hiring act like it's "just Iowa".

An excerpt from Ludwig in late March of this year:

“I’m a Utah man,” the 58-year-old Ogden native Wednesday. “I came back in 2019 to finish my career with Coach Whitt. There was some intrigue with that position (referencing Notre Dame OC opening), but as all things were measured out, made the decision, the commitment here, the commitment to the coach, to the program, to the administration, to the players, and just fired up to get to spring ball and this march for a championship repeat going.”

“I’m going to finish my football career at Utah, yes.”

Doesn't sound promising honestly. I've loved their program the last decade and in many ways, they've been a replica of Iowa in terms of mindset and play style. Doing it better than us often. I'd love to have their OC as it would be a strong match for the program.
Yup.

Well Ludwig makes 1.85mil and Grubb makes 1.45 can Iowa match those numbers?Well at least Kirk is trying to make a splash
They'll have the money
The Big Ten announced a seven-year, $8 billion media deal with CBS, NBC and Fox in 2022, allowing the three networks to broadcast their games starting in 2023 and running through the 2029-30 season.

Andy, I'd love you to join the staff! But... here are the terms. Not too much of this...not too much of that...etc etc. Just manage risk. Can you do that?
Yep - Deacon slinging the ball all around the field is exactly what this team needed! What does anyone think the record would be if Iowa played a wide open style after CM went down?

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Yep - Deacon slinging the ball all around the field is exactly what this team needed! What does anyone think the record would be if Iowa played a wide open style after CM went down?
or maybe an actual QB coach, with a legit scheme that isn't an antique would change things. Bring in a WR coach that is worth a damn. If you can't see the Iowa TE room is insane, the WR core has a ton of potential, I'm not sure what to tell ya.

or maybe an actual QB coach, with a legit scheme that isn't an antique would change things. Bring in a WR coach that is worth a damn. If you can't see the Iowa TE room is insane, the WR core has a ton of potential, I'm not sure what to tell ya.
You failed to address anything I said. Nobody can say what would have happended with a healthy Cade at QB this year. But of course, get wild and crazy with a back up QB with the next two top offensive options also down. In case you didn't understand this - it's not a video game being played.

I’ve got a pretty credible guy I know that said Washington OC Grubb is also in talks with Iowa.

blow.gif

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Absolutely nobody is saying that. Deacon should not have been the next man in. That's problem number 1. He's actually still kind of slinging it, 28 times the other day and only completing 10. We need so many things on offense I don't know where to begin. This next hire is incredibly huge. Another year of being a bottom 5 offense. We then complain about guys like Vines when he doesn't catch ball or doesn't develop. There's a reason they are coming to Iowa to play wide receiver. We were lucky to get Brown. It's taken 10 games for some reason to really get acclimated but he's it. He's the only legitimate wide receiver we have. If we get another guy that's going to be Kirk's yes man it's not going to work.

Reactions: RomanHawk and GHawk
You failed to address anything I said. Nobody can say what would have happended with a healthy Cade at QB this year. But of course, get wild and crazy with a back up QB with the next two top offensive options also down. In case you didn't understand this - it's not a video game being played.
Absolutely no one is advocating for Deacon to be chucking the ball around the field in the current offense, however, what you don't understand about a spread offense is that it is based around high percentage short throws. Anyone stating that Iowa won because of the offense they ran is a special kind.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
Yeah you keep believing coaches speak.....

The next morning, Saban called then-MSU athletic director Clarence Underwood.

"It was five-thirty in the morning," Underwood is quoted. "He just said, 'I made a mistake, and I want to come back.' He said he was lonely. He was crying."

But while Ferguson tried to call him throughout the day to say, "Come back, Saban, come back," he couldn't reach him. When he did, Saban had changed his mind again.

Again, he’s in a pass happy offense with a team that’s undefeated. And I’ve heard he’s got a nice contract already. I know he has some kind of Iowa connection but it makes zero sense.
Whoever the OC is at Iowa has the best shot at becoming the next HC at Iowa. Our last two HCs covered 44 years so far. Is his best shot at a major HC staying where he is? He is also from this state. Maybe he loves the state as much as many of us do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT