ADVERTISEMENT

Any good news coming?

His wording is pretty tricky to claim defamation. He uses the old question asking trick. And he presented publicly available information. Let's the reader draw their own conclusions.

One minor slip up may be referring to "comments" plural from a non-nobody. There was only one comment, which I agree could be interrupted a different way, especially if the 'skank' comment were not present.
The "skank" comment was present and every sane person would interrupt his "joke" it exactly as it was meant, to defame Ali. Continuing on in that thread without any personal remorse and more importantly without challenging others makes him guilty by association for all that was written. Every Jury on earth would see it this way particularly with a quick review of his posting history.

Willie tweeted it first and his language wasn’t nearly as careful. I hope someone grabbed a screen shot before he deleted it. I’m no lawyer but willies tweet seemed more like defamation. Of course the coward deleted it and had Mineo tweet it instead.
I often/easily confuse defamation with libel. I think Willie's now-deleted Tweet contained the following 5 assertions/allegations:
  1. Bob is the biggest donor to Iowa Wrestling.
  2. Bob's name is going on new facility, merely b/c of how much money he's donated.
  3. Bob is behind the push for Ferraris.
  4. Bob has trashed the Chittums.
  5. The screen captured posts show Bob bashing one of the recent WFS greats (i.e., Alli Ragan).
In all honesty, I don't know whether any are factually true. Also not knowing what information Willie possesses that would cause him to believe his assertions are true, it's hard to know whether any claim of defamation or libel would hold in court. Then there's the potential for greater latitude should Willie be considered by the courts to be a journalist.

But Willie has since deleted this particular Tweet. He yet may provide some corresponding explanation, and dare I write, apology, retraction, or other form of mea culpa. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: burk11 and el dub
Defamation much? Edit: Ok it's not I have no clue what I'm talking about. :)

Mineo needs punched in the face. What a f'n dbag.

Mineo is absolutely awful and a prime example of what's wrong with social media.

However, that slur directed at Alli is unacceptable. We just lost a recruit in part due to the character of people we were recruiting to be associated with this program. Let's not accept fans throwing that type of slur at a former Hawkeye wrestler.

People complained that there was no way racial slurs were thrown out in carver, meanwhile we have Iowa fans putting misogynistic slurs in writing online. Ridiculous.

Mineo is absolutely awful and a prime example of the what's wrong with social media.

However, that slur directed at Ali is unacceptable. We just lost a recruit in part due to the character of person we were recruiting to be associated with this program. Let's not accept fans throwing that type of slur at a former Hawkeye wrestler.

People complained that there was no way racial slurs were thrown out in carver, meanwhile we have Iowa fans putting misogynistic slurs in writing online. Ridiculous.
You’re right. I’m not the one she cheated on so it’s not my place. I shouldn’t have written what I did.

Mineo is absolutely awful and a prime example of the what's wrong with social media.

However, that slur directed at Alli is unacceptable. We just lost a recruit in part due to the character of person we were recruiting to be associated with this program. Let's not accept fans throwing that type of slur at a former Hawkeye wrestler.

Can you take it over to that thread and not ruin this one?

Mineo is absolutely awful and a prime example of what's wrong with social media.

However, that slur directed at Alli is unacceptable. We just lost a recruit in part due to the character of people we were recruiting to be associated with this program. Let's not accept fans throwing that type of slur at a former Hawkeye wrestler.

Not "just people", but the guy whose name is being used for your new wrestling room. smh

The "skank" comment was present
It is that way now in the timeline, but the way these boards work, there's no guarantee it was visible to Bob when he decided to make his post.

Fact remains that he only replied to the prior post, didn't like the 'skank' post or the posters subsequent follow up, and Bob provided several reasonably timely explanations of his intent.

Every Jury on earth would see it this way particularly with a quick review of his posting history.
I respectfully disagree based on the above.

Bob's prior posting history would most likely be considered inadmissible as irrelevant. I've no recollection of Bob making any disparaging comments of a misogynistic nature toward female wrestlers or athletes.

I'm replying to discussions above within this thread. If you want to have a thread about improving the Iowa wrestling team, we as fans can start with ourselves. I'm all for free speech and limited forum moderation, but shit like that is free ammo for negative recruiting.
I know you love your team but you have to have a solid perspective. You're willing to engage opposing fans but have a good sense of how it should be done. I can respect that you have certain standards and want to see the Hawkeyes do well by making solid improvements.

I'd say you're correct on this. Ball busting back and forth is part of online forums but really attacking kids and their families is out of bounds imo. Criticizing is different than some of what I've seen here recently.
so if you want to speculate Chittum's dad played a part in his decision, I get that. Doxxing him is out of bounds, that goes beyond reasonable speculation and ball busting.

Reactions: tosal563
It is that way now in the timeline, but the way these boards work, there's no guarantee it was visible to Bob when he decided to make his post.

Fact remains that he only replied to the prior post, didn't like the 'skank' post or the posters subsequent follow up, and Bob provided several reasonably timely explanations of his intent.

I respectfully disagree based on the above.

Bob's prior posting history would most likely be considered inadmissible as irrelevant. I've no recollection of Bob making any disparaging comments of a misogynistic nature toward female wrestlers or athletes.
Certain things might be a little out of bounds but I doubt it rises to legal levels.

Reactions: xjohnx and el dub
How hard did/do you think?

Off the top of my head how about:
  1. all the school age children who lost in person classroom time and are still behind; and,
  2. all the medical professionals who had to deal with death daily, and face increased risk as part of their profession.
Cancellation of the NCAA tournament pales in comparison.

This is another bad take and would be a bad bet as well. The vast majority of PSU wrestling fans wanted Joseph and Hall to get their shots at additional individual championships and were left idle for three days in March just like Iowa fans. And remember how they celebrated PSU's four individual champs when Iowa did get to compete and won?
Would the ivy’s being included the year that Iowa won have changed the outcome? Hmmm

• Haha
Reactions: xjohnx
Iowa has a big recruit on campus currently is the news
kurt-angle-its-true.gif

Reactions: Grip220
I'm replying to discussions above within this thread. If you want to have a thread about improving the Iowa wrestling team, we as fans can start with ourselves. I'm all for free speech and limited forum moderation, but shit like that is free ammo for negative recruiting.
So can we start using other teams' boards and the sh** they say about Iowa and its athletes as ways to negatively recruit against them?

I mean the f*** are we talking about here?..........

My comment (old ski town joke) had nothing to do with the lady in question or her husband. No problem, I get criticized all the time for BS. It's an honor to be scammed by bums like Jimmy Small D and Mineo

BTW, the follow up joke to that one is, "What do you call a ski bum without a girlfriend?.........Homeless

I think Bob needs to write as much of an apology, retraction, etc like every other person with a higher profile has had to do like many coaches and athletes have in the past when they stick their foot in their mouth. I respect all the support and investment has made in this program and hope he continues in the future, but needs to take his medicine and issue a public apology. Maybe even something from the athletic department since his name is going on the room.

My comment (old ski town joke) had nothing to do with the lady in question or her husband. No problem, I get criticized all the time for BS. It's an honor to be scammed by bums like Jimmy Small D and Mineo

BTW, the follow up joke to that one is, "What do you call a ski bum without a girlfriend?.........Homeless
I have said the wrong thing many times as well in jest but in today’s wonderful world it’s not just what you said, how you said it, or what you meant but how a comment is interpreted or perceived.

Everyone wants to see us go the way of Oklahoma State rather than try to tear down the current monarchy in Penn State.

It's highly counter-productive, but you know what they say about abusive relationships (which is what the rest of college wrestling along with the media and the NCAA is in with Penn State)..................

It's just too bad, everybody wants to get in the way of Iowa having success in sports. It just boggles my f***ing mind how hard people/programs/entities push back when pressed about it.
Btw, to further expound on the abusive relationship that is Penn State with the rest of college wrestling (excluding Iowa)...................

If I were to post a poll on all the national wrestling boards/sites asking, "If you had to choose ONLY one, which would you pick- Penn State NEVER wins another national championship......or Iowa becomes a full blown has-been like Oklahoma State or Minnesota" that the vast majority would vote for the latter, and it wouldn't even be close.

That's a problem.

Reactions: xjohnx
So can we start using other teams' boards and the sh** they say about Iowa and its athletes as ways to negatively recruit against them?

I mean the f*** are we talking about here?..........

Feel free.

The reality is, this is currently being done against Iowa. Willie, Mineo, and others are doing it and Iowa fans/posters/donors are typing unhinged shit here giving them ammo.

Iowa fanbase has been a recruiting strength for a long time. We have a diehard fanbase that shows up to cheer our wrestlers. Sure that comes with criticisms and pressures to perform for the wrestlers as well and many recruits and wrestlers would much rather have that than wrestle for a program with no one in the crowd.

That said, we don't need to be calling former hawks slurs here and and giving free ammo to negative recruiting (including other programs' coaches).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have said the wrong thing many times as well in jest but in today’s wonderful world it’s not just what you said, how you said it, or what you meant but how a comment is interpreted or perceived.
My comment above stands. No malice was intended, and no apology is necessary. BTW, I have no idea who this person even is.

Move on

Fair point. My criticism was primarily directed at the comment above yours using the misogynistic slur.

I appreciate your support (especially financially) of the Hawkeye wrestling program. I trust that you have better insight than I or most of us on what's going on behind the scenes with recruiting. However, with that comes additional scrutiny. I don't think we need to use PR speak, but taking the high road to some extent goes a long ways. I appreciate that that's the approach Tom and Terry typically take.

"Never wrestle with pigs (aka @smalls103). You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT