ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone find new hope for this season after that butt ugly win?

Iowa still refuses to defend the three and at all. Fran still does his hockey line substitutions. Iowa still has 5 minute + scoring droughts. The only thing I learned from last night is that Illinois sucks even more than we do. Someone find a silver lining in that mess last night.

Garza showing that emotion and trying to get the team pumped up. Maybe that emotional leadership we need is going to come from him.

They won 2nd half and OT 63-43, playing much better defense and took care of the ball. Garza and Kriener looked really good and we shrunk our 2nd half rotation to basically 7.

Energy level was highest I'v seen. Illinois may be winless but they lost two OT games to Michigan and NW and have been competitive in all games so not exactly trash. If you can't see hope from what happened in overcoming a 20 point deficit, I can't help you.

Iowa still refuses to defend the three and at all. Fran still does his hockey line substitutions. Iowa still has 5 minute + scoring droughts. The only thing I learned from last night is that Illinois sucks even more than we do. Someone find a silver lining in that mess last night.
It's not that Iowa doesn't want to defend the 3 ball, it's they simply aren't quick enough to do it. IMO, that's not our main problem. The bigs won't protect the rim when our guards constantly get beat off the dribble. You can't give up the 3 ball and layups. The bigs must stop those drives to the rim and they aren't doing it.

The Hawkeyes had all five starters score in double
figures from Bohannon's 29 points to Baer's 10.

It was a game that demonstrated the intensity of
Iowa needs to continue as we seek to be consistent
in order to win.

Coach Fran showed some composure and did not get
a technical foul.

The first 10 minutes or so was about as bad as any team can play, and they still won, on the road. Finally figuring out that JBo doesn't have to bring the ball up the court could help them win some more games, by giving him some relief and transition 3s. There are only a few B1G teams that aren't having issues...

Reactions: ClintBarton
We had guys open on offense all nite and couldn't or wouldn't get the ball to them. My sense is that after we decided we should not be outrebounded by a much smaller team, we decided to control the boards and that was about it. Also ILL decided not to do what everyone else does to us, drive the ball to the rim and get layups, they were content to shoot from outside and they missed a lot.

Reactions: RocknRollface
1. Free throws! How can you not applaud the success at the line?

2. Garza! Playing hard, making shots and his FT's.

3. Rebounding - they did a great job on the boards on both ends last night.

4. "Held" Illinois to 36 pts in the 2nd half.

That's all I got.

We had guys open on offense all nite and couldn't or wouldn't get the ball to them. My sense is that after we decided we should not be outrebounded by a much smaller team, we decided to control the boards and that was about it. Also ILL decided not to do what everyone else does to us, drive the ball to the rim and get layups, they were content to shoot from outside and they missed a lot.

I thought Illinois did a great job of playing some very intense defense to start the game. For the most part, they were playing great on the ball defense, bumping cutters, and jumping passing lanes. Iowa had a hell of a time getting the offense rolling.

Illinois started out 8-11 from 3 pt during this same time frame. You know that’s not going to keep up, but it would be hard not to fall in love with the three ball. Especially when undersized going in.

Once the defense started to lax some and the threes stopped falling every time, Iowa was able to cut into the lead and make it a game.

I’m just glad that Finke must have not found his role with the new staff. That guy just seemed to be the thorn in the Hawks side.

It's not that Iowa doesn't want to defend the 3 ball, it's they simply aren't quick enough to do it. IMO, that's not our main problem. The bigs won't protect the rim when our guards constantly get beat off the dribble. You can't give up the 3 ball and layups. The bigs must stop those drives to the rim and they aren't doing it.
Bullshit. Sure, raw athletic ability helps, but isn't the end-all, be-all. Give Tony Bennett at Virginia the Iowa roster for a month. Of course I can't promise you… but I promise you Bennett would have these same damn dudes defending the 3 fairly well. Maybe not best-in-the-nation well, but well.

Seriously. Watch Virginia. Kyle Guy is 6'2" 175 combo guard, primarily the 2. He's a little longer than Bohannon, a little more athletic overall, but pretty similar. Kyle Guy is a joy to watch defensively because you can tell how well coached he is, how he's bought in. And he's definitely a scorer's mentality type of player. But he's defending his butt off. He gets by with constant preparedness, never falling asleep, anticipation, very active hands and feet (especially hands) both on the ball and off the ball, and he almost always boxes out. Thing of beauty how the shot goes up, and he finds his man and puts a body on him — even if his man is at the 3-point line. That's coaching. Primary ball-handler is Ty Jerome, 6'5" 200 lbs, very similar athlete to Moss, appears to be stronger in the core given how he never falls down as does Moss. Very similar athlete otherwise. Jerome does everything Guy does on defense. You can tell they're coached by the same staff. I could do this for nearly every player, make a reasonable comparison to someone similar on Virginia's roster. But I'll stop here.

Yes, better athletes help. Recruiting helps. Gesell and Sapp were better defenders regardless of who coached them, Fran or Bennett. But coaching, really good coaching, can get a lot out of an otherwise "average" or even "below average" athlete. Going back to Guy and Jerome from Virginia — neither of those guys scream "superior athlete" yet they are definitely above-average defenders.

Garza excels against smaller defenders. We absolutely killed them on the glass. All of the starting five had spurts where they showed enough prove they have the potential to be solid contributing starters.

To win we need everone to play well as 2 or 3 guys won't be enough with this talent. There are still a lot of areas that need improvement, but I fully expect to see more W's in 2018.

I just hope they are this season. LOL?

Now that I got that out of my system: I'm encouraged by how the team is sticking together, how happy, for example, Maishe was with Bohannon's success last night. I love the enthusiasm Cook shows when he is on the bench (has been this way all season), especially showing it when his fellow bigs have success — especially Kreiner. I'm encouraged by how frustrated Pemsl is because it shows how much he cares.

In a relatively subdued Assembly Hall (or whatever they call it now), down 20 in a hurry, with every excuse to just go through the motions for 20 minutes, they kept grinding. So while I believe there are definitely deficiencies in Fran's philosophy to build/maintain his program — developing a team-oriented, selfless culture I've never worried about.

There is a lot to like about Fran. Which is, of course, maddening at times.

Last edited:
Much better 2nd half. But they are getting into a BAD habit of giving up a TON of points the the 1st half.

Gotta find a way to do it for 40 mins

Some great points on here. Good job guys and thanks.
I would say about overcoming a 20 pt deficit, that we shouldn't have been down that big to a team that many consider the worst in the B1G. But the team continuing to fight was good to see. Shows that these guys aren't dialed out just yet. Also the early FT shooting came out of nowhere, esp. after a few games this season where we left lots of points at the line. Someone mentioned that Fran chose to focus on 7 players in the 2nd half. Didn't notice that but if true, then maybe Fran did grow a little bit with this game.
I know any win is supposed to be a good one but yes, that was butt ugly. Cant believe how often Illini shooters were wide open. Even for dunks! But somehow Iowa outlasted them. Maybe this could be the beginning of something now that the team has got the "winless in the B1G" monkey off of their back. Rutgers is another bottom feeder that we could possibly steal a win from. Hopefully this is the turning point for the whole season.

Bullshit. Sure, raw athletic ability helps, but isn't the end-all, be-all. Give Tony Bennett at Virginia the Iowa roster for a month. Of course I can't promise you… but I promise you Bennett would have these same damn dudes defending the 3 fairly well. Maybe not best-in-the-nation well, but well.

Seriously. Watch Virginia. Kyle Guy is 6'2" 175 combo guard, primarily the 2. He's a little longer than Bohannon, a little more athletic overall, but pretty similar. Kyle Guy is a joy to watch defensively because you can tell how well coached he is, how he's bought in. And he's definitely a scorer's mentality type of player. But he's defending his butt off. He gets by with constant preparedness, never falling asleep, anticipation, very active hands and feet (especially hands) both on the ball and off the ball, and he almost always boxes out. Thing of beauty how the shot goes up, and he finds his man and puts a body on him — even if his man is at the 3-point line. That's coaching. Primary ball-handler is Ty Jerome, 6'5" 200 lbs, very similar athlete to Moss, appears to be stronger in the core given how he never falls down as does Moss. Very similar athlete otherwise. Jerome does everything Guy does on defense. You can tell they're coached by the same staff. I could do this for nearly every player, make a reasonable comparison to someone similar on Virginia's roster. But I'll stop here.

Yes, better athletes help. Recruiting helps. Gesell and Sapp were better defenders regardless of who coached them, Fran or Bennett. But coaching, really good coaching, can get a lot out of an otherwise "average" or even "below average" athlete. Going back to Guy and Jerome from Virginia — neither of those guys scream "superior athlete" yet they are definitely above-average defenders.
So you did not address the bigs. Are you ok with allowing layups and dunks??? BTW, do not agree with your point on coaching. You have to be quick and we aren't.

The Hawkeyes had all five starters score in double
figures from Bohannon's 29 points to Baer's 10.

It was a game that demonstrated the intensity of
Iowa needs to continue as we seek to be consistent
in order to win.

Coach Fran showed some composure and did not get
a technical foul.
They will win if they can get it through their heads that for a couple hours on game night they have to give 110%..............every minute they are on the floor.............the entire game.................rebounds, loose balls, hustle, because everything matters.

Reactions: jellyfish10
1. Free throws! How can you not applaud the success at the line?

2. Garza! Playing hard, making shots and his FT's.

3. Rebounding - they did a great job on the boards on both ends last night.

4. "Held" Illinois to 36 pts in the 2nd half.

That's all I got.

5. Kriener displays that he can make significant contributions. I started a rare thread for me last Fall (that got no love like most of my posts :)) referencing Kriener's outstanding play in the Purdue game last year. I truly believe that if Fran would give him quality minutes backing up Garza at the 5 spot that Kriener would flourish. Move Nunge to back up Cook at the 4 spot.

5. Kriener displays that he can make significant contributions. I started a rare thread for me last Fall (that got no love like most of my posts :)) referencing Kriener's outstanding play in the Purdue game last year. I truly believe that if Fran would give him quality minutes backing up Garza at the 5 spot that Kriener would flourish. Move Nunge to back up Cook at the 4 spot.

Yes. Kriener played very well, and it seems like he almost always brings some energy to the team. Right now, I would give him Pemsl's and Wagner's minutes. I'm not sure what's going on with those two, but neither one seems very productive.

I'd like to hope that the first half was "the bottom".

What would be good to see if Wednesday against Rutgers, they have a bit of bounce in their step. A carry over so to speak.

Confidence is a funny thing...

So you did not address the bigs. Are you ok with allowing layups and dunks??? BTW, do not agree with your point on coaching. You have to be quick and we aren't.
I explained why I stopped and summarily addressed the bigs in that I could go on down the Virginia roster comparing their players to Iowa. You miss that?

So your contention is that coaching doesn't matter? You don't believe that Tony Bennett, for example, couldn't get this Iowa roster to play better defense?

Reactions: RocknRollface

One of them is, thats why we got back in the game.

There was a ton of back cuts open, you could tell they had practiced it to counter Illinois agressive D, but JBO cant see the court because he has a guy in his jersey.

I agree with your first point as IL shot over 45% from 3. I still cannot believe they tied it in regulation.

I somewhat disagree with your second point, though not sure if you just hate the literal mass subsitutions OR the spreading out of minutes across weaker players. I did not see as many of the hockey sub patterns, especially in 2nd half and really only 8 guys had meaningful minutes in this game (8 had above 7 minutes, Pemsl, Nunge and Wagner had 12 minutes combined).

I have some issue with your last point only because we are 5th in the nation in scoring so hard to complain about scoring droughts.

Iowa would be capable of playing significantly better D with the right coaching and emphasis.

Although that might mean certain players playing less.

We are long way from maximum efficiency on D even with what we have to work with. The fact that they rarely practice it should indicate that.

Reactions: kcgolfer
I explained why I stopped and summarily addressed the bigs in that I could go on down the Virginia roster comparing their players to Iowa. You miss that?

So your contention is that coaching doesn't matter? You don't believe that Tony Bennett, for example, couldn't get this Iowa roster to play better defense?

You can tell with the effort 1st half vs second that they dont play real defense often.

Its like this team has always needed to see their own shots going in before they play hard on defense.

Thats coaching.

This is a good post but you left out an important part of what Bennett does. He only recruits guys that want to play defense. You can't take a high school SR that doesn't play any defense and turn him into a defensive minded player in 18 months. He recruits according to his emphasis on defense. Fran recruits with no emphasis on defense. That's why we rarely play any defense.

They'd either play better defense or they'd sit on the bench the entire game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT