ADVERTISEMENT

Are you Culturally Queer?

SoProudNole

HR Legend
Jan 19, 2004
Darren Criss is. I've never heard of this actor. Saw this article about him. Thought it was an interesting term. I feel like I've become more culturally queer because of my kids and some of their friends.

Kinda CSB?

Link

Probably because he was acting queer but wasn't and was getting a lot of flack.

Basically it's cool to be that in some circles so lots of people adopt the behaviors.

"“Culturally queer” is defined as someone who grows up “immersed in queer culture, including traditions, celebrations, media, and language,” according to the Queerspawn Resource Project. Additionally, “some LGBTQ+ individuals use the term to describe allies who go over and above expectations in demonstrations of both their allyship and understanding of queer culture,” as defined by PFLAG."

How is that any different from "cultural appropriation"?

• Haha
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
"“Culturally queer” is defined as someone who grows up “immersed in queer culture, including traditions, celebrations, media, and language,” according to the Queerspawn Resource Project. Additionally, “some LGBTQ+ individuals use the term to describe allies who go over and above expectations in demonstrations of both their allyship and understanding of queer culture,” as defined by PFLAG."

That all sounds really gay.

How is the bolded part "appropriation"? Seems like appropriation would be actually going out in queerface.

• Haha
Reactions: HawCory
How is the bolded part "appropriation"? Seems like appropriation would be actually going out in queerface.
To me it was the "go over and above expectations in demonstrations" - I equate it to white suburban kids who fully emulate the "hip hop culture" with the music, the way they dress, their language, the places they hang out, etc. They're not doing it to make fun of it or as satire. That's really how they demonstrate the culture with which they identify. I don't know that it's different. Maybe there is in individual instances, but is there on the whole?

call-out-shout-out.gif

Reactions: QChawks
PFLAG? Wtf is PFLAG?

Googled it and found this nice little PFLAG National Glossary.

Do we just make shit up on the daily now?

Kinsey Scale

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT