ADVERTISEMENT

Ashley Joens????

I stand by who I am proudly. Do you know Joens?
Do you stand by who you are?
Not who you replied to, but I live in Iowa City. The Joens family we are talking about is from here and the Solon area, not CR. Maybe they moved a long time ago? Either way, he's been around here a lot longer and is NOT the choirboy you portray.

Not who you replied to, but I live in Iowa City. The Joens family we are talking about is from here and the Solon area, not CR. Maybe they moved a long time ago? Either way, he's been around here a lot longer and is NOT the choirboy you portray.
I haven’t lived in Iowa since 99 but I can tell you for a fact that the Joens family grew up going to St Ludmila’s on the SW side of CR. They were absolutely a model family back then and I bet they aren’t much different today.
Let me be clear. I speak about them in the 80’s and 90’s during childhood. They were all fantastic. I’m not buying that this family grew up to be monsters. I’m sorry that they were Cyclones, not the best choice but geez... I have a family member that attended school in Ames and we have forgiven.

Reactions: 24 so far
I played basketball at open gyms with Joens and his little brother and sister at St Ludmila’s in CR -80’s and 90’s. They were competitive but absolutely great people.

I haven’t lived in Iowa since 99 but I can tell you for a fact that the Joens family grew up going to St Ludmila’s on the SW side of CR. They were absolutely a model family back then and I bet they aren’t much different today.
Let me be clear. I speak about them in the 80’s and 90’s during childhood. They were all fantastic. I’m not buying that this family grew up to be monsters. I’m sorry that they were Cyclones, not the best choice but geez... I have a family member that attended school in Ames and we have forgiven.
Not disputing anything you wrote. But the whole reason she didn’t come to iowa is because bluder didn’t recruit her...because of how her dad acts.

No one is saying the family is. Just the father who is a giant A hole and has that reputation in the area for it. Friends daughter is around the age of his youngest and a lot of parents he tells me agree with this sentiment and can't stand the guy. That being said not a bad word to be said about his kids or wife, just him.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Not disputing anything you wrote. But the whole reason she didn’t come to iowa is because bluder didn’t recruit her...because of how her dad acts.
I’m not so surprised that he is passionate about basketball. If I could sum the Joens fam up in 4 words - it was God, Family, Basketball, Tenderloins. Back in the day nobody did those 4 better than them. I do believe that he gets riled up about his daughter’s basketball. No surprise there. But, years ago he was a great boy and great young man. Don’t believe he’s far from that now.

I’m not so surprised that he is passionate about basketball. If I could sum the Joens fam up in 4 words - it was God, Family, Basketball, Tenderloins. Back in the day nobody did those 4 better than them. I do believe that he gets riled up about his daughter’s basketball. No surprise there. But, years ago he was a great boy and great young man. Don’t believe he’s far from that now.
Wow. I don’t really follow WBB except what people post. And don’t know the guy except what has been posted and the videos. Please separate Church on Sunday’s and being a lunatic at games. I mean this guy makes Fran look tame. She is a great player no question. But also separate her from her Dad. If Lisa didn’t recruit her in her backyard there is an obvious reason why.

There was no damn jump ball! It was an immediate foul. They call that, the rest doesn’t matter. As for the flagrant, it’s called the cylinder rule, seen it numerous times with garza this yr. I dont like isu, but i can be objective and say the refs raked them over the coals in the last 10 seconds
Where was that cylinder rule with Garza? Bet he got called for more elbows than he didn't get called for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Slim45
I went to high school with her mom Lisa. She was 2 years older than me but was really nice. Hell of a 6 on 6 player. She went to Kirkwood and met the Dad who also played basketball there. He’s a nut job and will harass people who go to Jimmy John’s next door instead of his restaurant. It’s a family business he now runs with his wife and kids. Like someone mentioned he’s been kicked out of games before and now has to sit with the AD when he goes to games. He also got arrested not long ago for stealing the ladder of someone working near his business and throwing it out the back door. He’s literally been known to also knock on windows of people sitting in the Jimmy John’s drive through and harass them for nit coming to his place.

Also don’t wear Iowa gear to his business as he will berate you.

The guy has serious anger issues and needs help.
Which Jimmy John's? I would like to go there.

Reactions: RothMatt
Lol.
My name is Zack Young. Started posting in the SuperHawkeye days in around 2000

LOL
Who are you?????
My name is Zack Young. I grew up in Cedar Rapids, IA. I went to St. Ludmila's school through 6th grade. Played with Mr. Joens cousin at recess most days as a young boy. SW side of Cedar Rapids, the capitol of Kolach's and Czechs.

I started posting on the SuperHawkeye days in 2000 ish in the Jon Miller times. I haven't posted in a while because it's not really something I do anymore. But I was one of the originals on SuperHawkeye and Hawkeyereport from years back. Graduated from Iowa in 99. Been a Hawk through and through my whole life.

I knew a lot of the Joens' and they were all super people. They were great to me and my family. Great at our church. Great in the community. Anyone who went to St. Ludmila's church in the 80's would vouch for all of the Joens' family I am sure! They were just great people. And I loved playing open gym basketball with their family.

Props for not hiding behind the keyboard! But damned you for making me want a kolach now!!!!!

Zach...wish it weren't true, but know a few of the family even current day and there are MANY who won't go to any family function if there's a chance he may show. What everyone is saying about him on here is true. He has been kicked out/banned from a very significant number of venues, and has had to sit with AD's when attending games. He has been documented having berated patrons of neighboring dining establishments for not coming to his place, the previous version of which was shut down for bug infestation.
Many here could go on and on with true stories of his questionable actions and mental state, but sadly he isn't what the portion of the family you know is.

Zach...wish it weren't true, but know a few of the family even current day and there are MANY who won't go to any family function if there's a chance he may show. What everyone is saying about him on here is true. He has been kicked out/banned from a very significant number of venues, and has had to sit with AD's when attending games. He has been documented having berated patrons of neighboring dining establishments for not coming to his place, the previous version of which was shut down for bug infestation.
Many here could go on and on with true stories of his questionable actions and mental state, but sadly he isn't what the portion of the family you know is.
That's too bad. I just wanted to speak to when he was growing up. Sometimes people go overboard when they are on the other side of competition with someone.

I also know some "sports parents" that are good people overall but have a hard time controlling their passion and can get irrational around their kids sports. Not saying he is exactly that. But he is a person. And he was a good person to me (and people I observed) when I was younger.

One would have to think Joen's daughters could calm him down. If I was BJ and I acted like he does, my daughters would have never allowed that behavior. So technically, they're complicit.

I don't think the ISU players should be given a free pass for his actions. "Dad, if you continue to act like that, I will stop playing basketball".

End of story.

Maybe the daughters know that dad would call their bluff. And act up anyway. Not sure you can blame the daughters

What are the odds the Joens clan is auditioning for a reality show? Dominant dad, subservient wife, athletic daughters, and an aging, college WBB HC willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Primary advertising sponsor... "Joensys, meat optional, Tenderloins". (All batter/no meat)

What are the odds the Joens clan is auditioning for a reality show? Dominant dad, subservient wife, athletic daughters, and an aging, college WBB HC willing to do whatever it takes to win.

Primary advertising sponsor... "Joensys, meat optional, Tenderloins". (All batter/no meat)
Alright, this was funny...

Reactions: Slim45

Most reality shows are in fact not based on reality. So I am going to go with no.

Reactions: lonesomedove
By the way ZHawk, I too went to St. Ludmilla's in grade school but graduated in the mid 70's from St. Lud's. I had no idea the Joens family attended there.

My wife and I made that call to the food inspector after visiting the restaurant post fishing trip to Coralville. There were 100's of roaches...it was unreal. He followed up with us and told us what he found after visiting a few days later, then read in the paper they were being closed.

• Wow
Reactions: drew_hawk
My wife and I made that call to the food inspector after visiting the restaurant post fishing trip to Coralville. There were 100's of roaches...it was unreal. He followed up with us and told us what he found after visiting a few days later, then read in the paper they were being closed.

You went fishing with your wife? That’s got to be the worst, no?

I thought I read that dad had been banned from the daughter's high school gym. Not sure if it was just a game or 2, or the whole season; but I thought the latter.

Two days after the game and Clone fans still crying.

There should be an investigation by the women's NCAA why the refs hate ISU so much.

That's too bad. I just wanted to speak to when he was growing up. Sometimes people go overboard when they are on the other side of competition with someone.

I also know some "sports parents" that are good people overall but have a hard time controlling their passion and can get irrational around their kids sports. Not saying he is exactly that. But he is a person. And he was a good person to me (and people I observed) when I was younger.

I totally belive you about the stories when he was younger but people do change. Maybe he let his competitive side go too far? Teachers at City say that the girls are nothing but fantastic people. Despite the very true stories about his business, bothering other patrons, getting kicked out of countless gyms, he being the reason Bluder won't touch the daughters... he is doing something right.

I totally belive you about the stories when he was younger but people do change. Maybe he let his competitive side go too far? Teachers at City say that the girls are nothing but fantastic people. Despite the very true stories about his business, bothering other patrons, getting kicked out of countless gyms, he being the reason Bluder won't touch the daughters... he is doing something right.
Its sad this guy gets so much attention. His family doest deserve it. Also if half of whats posted is true he should talk to a health care professional. I'm not expert but no one should live like that.

Its sad this guy gets so much attention. His family doest deserve it. Also if half of whats posted is true he should talk to a health care professional. I'm not expert but no one should live like that.
He could take a page out of watching Mr. Clark on tv as the camera has panned to the family a lot during the UCONN game. Cool and calm demeanor not acting like a freaking toddler. What an ass.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I went to the same church growing up as Joens and the entire family. I also went to the same private school as many of his cousins and siblings.
I can say without hesitation that he and his entire family were always the most respectful and had the highest level of integrity. I would say B. Joens (Dad) would be the leader of the group. He was a few years older than me. He was always the nicest to me and everyone else. I can hardly believe that he is such a bad guy. People don't change that much. I am sure he loves his daughter very much and is competitive. He was always just the nice "older Joens" to me. His sister and brother were always super nice and well respected as well. The whole family was.
Fail ! Nice try though (not)

Word is the IC Joensy's restaurant is about to be forced to close due to repeated heath code violations. If only the guy could have used half of the energy he expends on berating neighboring restaurant customers/employees and throwing public temper-tantrums on keeping his restaurant clean, the place would be pristine. Shame... but not really, the food has been terrible for years and the guy is a grade-A asshole. Time for a much deserved full plate of deep-fried karma... hope someone spits in it before serving him.

Two days after the game and Clone fans still crying.

There should be an investigation by the women's NCAA why the refs hate ISU so much.
This guy might have something to do with it

screen-shot-2021-03-17-at-8-21-43-am.png

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT