ADVERTISEMENT

Ayala

This times 100! Given his performance in last nights comeback I don’t question Drakes mental ability to deal with done adversity. He’s not fragile, and he has the skills to compete right now!
Most of TJs kids are going to come into college with a mental maturity far beyond their years. Accountability is a HUGE thing in that room and everyone there gets beat up and has to drag themselves off the mat at some point, no matter how good you are.

Most of TJs kids are going to come into college with a mental maturity far beyond their years. Accountability is a HUGE thing in that room and everyone there gets beat up and has to drag themselves off the mat at some point, no matter how good you are.
Sounds a lot like the Iowa room.

Reactions: Gobblin
Either way, his regular redshirt would get burnt. He has already wrestled 3 “full” seasons, so he needs the redshirt year To be eligible for a medical hardship or medical redshirt.

So, his best chance for 2 medical years would be getting the medical redshirt for next year(which should basically be a guarantee) and then he could try to get a hardship for next year if he doesn’t wrestle(I would think that very unlikely…
i don't think this is true? kemerer got the year back despite using the redshirt his 1st year and wrestled 3 full seasons.

Either way, his regular redshirt would get burnt. He has already wrestled 3 “full” seasons, so he needs the redshirt year To be eligible for a medical hardship or medical redshirt.

So, his best chance for 2 medical years would be getting the medical redshirt for next year(which should basically be a guarantee) and then he could try to get a hardship for next year if he doesn’t wrestle(I would think that very unlikely…

Got ya, yeah I guess they might be able to argue he was still injured next year. So it does seem like if one has not already used their regular redshirt, they basically have to apply for the medical hardship waiver but then it would just count as their regular redshirt. The "6th year" appears to only be if they've already used their regular redshirt - https://www.oklahoman.com/article/3697118/how-the-ncaa-allows-medical-exemptions

i don't think this is true? kemerer got the year back despite using the redshirt his 1st year and wrestled 3 full seasons.
He got a 6th year hardship, which is different than a medical redshirt. The KEY reason He was able to get it was because of missing an ENTIRE season along with Covid almost certainly causing them to soften a bit on eligibility rules for the time being.

My original post was more about the difference between the 2 medical and how they would work for Spencer.

He got a 6th year hardship, which is different than a medical redshirt. The KEY reason He was able to get it was because of missing an ENTIRE season along with Covid almost certainly causing them to soften a bit on eligibility rules for the time being.

My original post was more about the difference between the 2 medical and how they would work for Spencer.
is there actually a difference? because the expectation by everyone was that kemerer would get another year back well before covid happened. that's why he made the decision to sit out 2019 in the first place.

is there actually a difference? because the expectation by everyone was that kemerer would get another year back well before covid happened. that's why he made the decision to sit out 2019 in the first place.

Yeah I'm confused. There does appear to be a distinction between if you've already used your regular redshirt or not when applying for the medical hardship waiver. If you haven't already used your regular redshirt, looks like they may just count the medical hardship waiver as the regular redshirt.

Yeah I'm confused. There does appear to be a distinction between if you've already used your regular redshirt or not when applying for the medical hardship waiver. If you haven't already used your regular redshirt, looks like they may just count the medical hardship waiver as the regular redshirt.
interesting. if he gets to keep his regular redshirt, he could theoretically do:

'22: medical
'23: regular
'24: olympic
'25: final year

lol obviously not going to happen, but it's funny to think about.

Yes, there are two different things. A "medical redshirt" requires you to have a redshirt available. Using a medical redshirt will use up your redshirt. So Spencer would not be able to "medical redshirt this year and regular redshirt next year" as using the medical redshirt uses his redshirt. This is available if you get injured early in the year and still have a redshirt available. This is what Stieber and Burroughs both used.

"Medical hardship" is the 6th year that Kemerer got. This is when you've already used a redshirt but have lost a significant portion of two different years due to an injury, though this criteria has seemingly relaxed in recent years too. If I remember right, this can only be applied for at the end of their senior year, whereas the medical redshirt is applied for the year of the injury

interesting. if he gets to keep his regular redshirt, he could theoretically do:

'22: medical
'23: regular
'24: olympic
'25: final year

lol obviously not going to happen, but it's funny to think about.
Not sure your take could happen.

Seems like
21-22 season: Regular shirt burned.
22-23 season: Medical shirt. Elegibility used up.
23-24 season: Hail Mary on Hardship? Doesn't seem likely with his 4 full years in 5, not counting covid free year.

Not sure your take could happen.

Seems like
21-22 season: Regular shirt burned.
22-23 season: Medical shirt. Elegibility used up.
23-24 season: Hail Mary on Hardship? Doesn't seem likely with his 4 full years in 5, not counting covid free year.

'23-'24 could be Olympic

Agreed he’s not Spencer but who is? However, I recall Spencer at less than 100% losing to Rivera at midlands and he never seemed panicked or in any rush. It was honestly a bit alarming. The great ones always think they’re going to win…even in defeat. Ayala is going to be very good. How good? Time will tell but he has some big shoes to fill with Spencer. If he goes this year, AA status will suffice in my book.
I think the mental approach has changed with the arrival of Spencer. He hasn't won a Midlands, took 3rd and 2nd his first two years at B1Gs and didn't blink. Won that one that mattered 2 weeks later. I believe Spencer's teammates knowing Spencer is a frigging freak but even he has taken some losses gives the rest of the team perspective.

I love Cory Clark and my personal highlight of being an Iowa wrestling fan was seeing him win his senior year because of how much heartbreak he endured along the way. That said, Tom described CC as a "hurting unit" after his freshman year loss. I believe Spencer coming out of redshirt his freshman year (after taking a loss at Midlands) put to bed the importance of being an undefeated 4xer (and the world coming to an end). That's not to say Spencer isn't top tier competitive, because he sure is. Get the next best thing, put your best foot forward next time, work hard getting better every day and work toward March.

I’ve been blown away with how college ready kids that come out of sebolt’s room are. It’s obvious how much Drake and Cullan have drilled on their feet. They do a great job of looking for ways to get to legs, and as soon as they get opponent’s head/hands out of the way they don’t hesitate, that shot is coming. A few times this weekend I noticed drake’s lefty single was coming even before his opponents reacted to his clubs. Just awesome work.

Seems a lot of excessive hand-wringing on this board recently. Drake Ayala is, in all probability, just where he should be at this point in his young wrestling career. Every wrestler must battle to develop his/her talent to the next/higher level (old learning theory: teach, train, test). Ayala has continually proven he has the right stuff to succeed, and move forward to the next level.

Classic example of young University of Iowa wrestler who faced adversity, and achieved remarkable success, Bruce Kinseth. Neither Kinseth nor the Iowa coaching staff ever lost firm conviction in this young wrestler’s talent and ability!

In spite of all mental-anguish and inner-turmoil on this board, be certain the University of Iowa wrestling program will be Standing Tall at the podium

Reactions: Grip220
DA is the best we got now that Spencer is done. Doesn’t necessarily mean he goes right away but wouldn’t be shocked either. Hoping to see him on Friday get rd 3 in and get the W inside Carver. He was better for 2 periods the past weekend just needs to finish the match. Freshman getting better each time out! He is a low AA right now more matches at a this level will only make him better. He is wired that way.

I'm with you. I just went back into Flo to watch the third period again. DA is a fricking warrior with an engine that never stops, and there is just no quit in this kid. Like many have already said, I think this DA will make the podium, and while I don't know that he's ready for the likes of Glory, Vito, or Suriano, everyone else better look out come NCAAs. Would love to see him shock the hell out of Vito or Suriano at B10s. That engine seems very ADS like...and with any luck he'll wear down a couple of the hammers and steal a win.
I watched it again as well. Then again, and again. Lost track at some point.

Once Jesuroga gets here DA will move up to 133.
Yeah, I could see DA @ 133 and CS @ 141 down the line. Both have good length. I know we've had quite a few guys hold 125 for their careers but I'm guessing this is one case where Jesuroga shuffles in from the bottom and people bump up. Don't know how big the parents are so purely speculation on my end.

Lets let Nates HS career finish up and see how much he grows as well. Plenty of time to sort this out. Wouldn’t shock me at to see Drake at 125 for the next few years. He’s got a lot of McD in him, IMHO.

Hard to imagine any bad scenario with the level of talent these kids have. It will sort itself out in time.

Absolutely cannot forget to mention Henson in any of these weight scenarios either. Bunch of damn hammers!

Last edited:
Based on your own post? If ‘21-‘22 counts as regular shirt, and he is able to get the 6th year waiver for ‘22-‘23.
21-22 he burned his regular redshirt And when he gets the medical Hardship waiver for 22-23, then his college carrer is done after that. Anything from then on is non college related.

How can you have an Olympic redshirt when you have no college eligibility left? You are out of College on your own.

Based on your own post? If ‘21-‘22 counts as regular shirt, and he is able to get the 6th year waiver for ‘22-‘23.

Bottom line is this - you are only able to have four complete varsity seasons. While last season did not count, Spencer has had 2018, 2019, 2020, and if he wrestlers next year 2023. That would be four, and he would be done.

21-22 he burned his regular redshirt And when he gets the medical Hardship waiver for 22-23, then his college carrer is done after that. Anything from then on is non college related.

How can you have an Olympic redshirt when you have no college eligibility left? You are out of College on your own.

You said "'22-'23: Medical Shirt"

If he competes in '22-'23, then it's not a medical shirt.

However, seems like it is technically possible for him to get a true medical shirt (or "hardship waiver," whatever the official name is) for '22-'23 if he does not compete due to injury. Which would still maintain his last year of eligibility.

Perfect attitude. His response in Flo interview to comment on the comeback........."Never should have given up 10 points". I wanted to see him get a year to train with Lee and Desanto but he just sounds ready to go for the team and coaches.

You said "'22-'23: Medical Shirt"

If he competes in '22-'23, then it's not a medical shirt.

However, seems like it is technically possible for him to get a true medical shirt (or "hardship waiver," whatever the official name is) for '22-'23 if he does not compete due to injury. Which would still maintain his last year of eligibility.
I said 22-23 Medical shirt and then also said his elegibility would be used up. Did you miss that? I should have said Medical Hardship, not Medical redshirt.

If he competes in 22-23, then it is only because he gets a Medical Hardship waiver.

This season, 21-22, is his Senior season. He can't finish it because of injuries, and he already burned his regular redshirt couple weeks back down in Florida. So if he is granted a Medical Hardship for 22-23. that would be his final season. No more eligibility left.

He will have completed his 4 full years if he gets the Medical Hardship for the 22-23 season. Thus, there is no elegibility left.

I said 22-23 Medical shirt and then also said his elegibility would be used up. Did you miss that? I should have said Medical Hardship, not Medical redshirt.

If he competes in 22-23, then it is only because he gets a Medical Hardship waiver.

This season, 21-22, is his Senior season. He can't finish it because of injuries, and he already burned his regular redshirt couple weeks back down in Florida. So if he is granted a Medical Hardship for 22-23. that would be his final season. No more eligibility left.

He will have completed his 4 full years if he gets the Medical Hardship for the 22-23 season. Thus, there is no elegibility left.

I feel like there's a bit of Abbott and Costello going on here but I think you are mis-speaking. Pretty sure the "medical hardship" would be for '21-'22, not '22-23, thus preserving his eligibility to compete in '22-'23. I initially thought since '21-'22 would be the "medical hardship" year, that he would technically still have his regular redshirt available, considering most guys that are granted medical years had also already used their regular redshirt. But it seems like in Lee's case apparently the medical redshirt would just take the place of the regular redshirt. But as MSU158 posted, in theory he may be able to ultimately also apply for a second medical hardship year in '22-'23 (although if they wouldn't find out until after the season if it was approved, they probably don't do it). Which would make him eligible compete in '23-'24. Which I presume he could use his Olympic Redshirt on so that he could use his 5th (counting covid) year in '24-'25.

I know probably a moot point since I doubt it happens, just thought it was interesting to think about...

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I know of a handful of elite level freshman that wrestled for Iowa as true freshman, that had the skills but had limited success that year and it affected them the rest of their careers.

Bart Chelsvig was the pound for pound #1 or 2 recruit and took his lumps as a true freshman and never really got back the where he was. Matt Fields and Alex Tsirtsis careers were impacted as well.
(Heck Throw Abe Assad in there as well)

But… there were some pretty high profile athletes that did well as true freshmen and continued to do well (Spencer Lee, Randy Lewis and Barry Davis). Daniel Dennis had a rough true freshman campaign and ended strong, but he was not considered an elite recruit like the previous 6 or 7.

How does Tom measure the mentality of the kid?
How will Drake respond to adversity and losses?

This will be where Tom earns his salary. It may work out well and Drake has an incredible career starting this year. Or he takes some lumps this year that he isn’t used to, and struggles to get back to where he is now.

Some kids need the year to develop, not because they aren’t physically ready for the success but that they aren’t ready for handling not having success.

I would keep the redshirt this year and wrestle Ybarra. Even with two reconstructed knees, there is no guarantee that Spencer will make it through next season either.

But, it is Drake’s and the staffs decision obviously.
No one knows what next year will bring. And we should have all learned that painful lesson recently.

They have wrestling opportunity in the here and now. The present could be of more interest than the future, imo.

Soft between the ears has a cure. Don’t keep the kid in bubble wrap. Most of the top guys now have experienced defeat. That’s how you get over it.

I get tired of hearing how early competition destroyed promising athletes careers. Being uncomfortable with adversity is going to lead to a crushed spirit unless little Timmy is only fed cupcakes his first year of college? Bullshite.

No one knows what next year will bring. And we should have all learned that painful lesson recently.

They have wrestling opportunity in the here and now. The present could be of more interest than the future, imo.
I agree with you. With all the injuries we seem to have every year, unless we are punting at any title chance this year you pull the shirt on Drake and let him go. He seems just fine mentally, and while he will be better next year, he is good this year and the team will be better this year with him. It also leaves him with his redshirt if he needs it in future years for injury or other circumstances. These studs are much more college ready now than 20 years ago. He has had like 10 matches already in this year, which is probably at least half of a normal redshirt year anyway which is better than nothing. With the way everything has gone the last couple years 20-25 matches a year or so seems to be the high end unfortunately anyway. Drake and Kem give us a punchers chance or better this year so I say go for it (not that TnT give a shit what any of our opinions are!). If Drake improves each match like he has so far this year, by NCAA's I think he gets us 10 or more points while Ybarra gets us 0 more than likely without drastic improvements.

Reactions: el dub
I think we learned a lot about his mental toughness today. He just lost a tough one to McKee, got tossed to his back for 6, then was down 0-7 through 2 periods and never conceded a damn thing. He’s a gamer.
I really liked seeing that. I that is huge imo.

I know of a handful of elite level freshman that wrestled for Iowa as true freshman, that had the skills but had limited success that year and it affected them the rest of their careers.

Bart Chelsvig was the pound for pound #1 or 2 recruit and took his lumps as a true freshman and never really got back the where he was. Matt Fields and Alex Tsirtsis careers were impacted as well.
(Heck Throw Abe Assad in there as well)

But… there were some pretty high profile athletes that did well as true freshmen and continued to do well (Spencer Lee, Randy Lewis and Barry Davis). Daniel Dennis had a rough true freshman campaign and ended strong, but he was not considered an elite recruit like the previous 6 or 7.

How does Tom measure the mentality of the kid?
How will Drake respond to adversity and losses?

This will be where Tom earns his salary. It may work out well and Drake has an incredible career starting this year. Or he takes some lumps this year that he isn’t used to, and struggles to get back to where he is now.

Some kids need the year to develop, not because they aren’t physically ready for the success but that they aren’t ready for handling not having success.

I would keep the redshirt this year and wrestle Ybarra. Even with two reconstructed knees, there is no guarantee that Spencer will make it through next season either.

But, it is Drake’s and the staffs decision obviously.
How do you really know that wrestling their true freshman year was the cause and not other external factors. I think each case has such specific circumstances that it's not something that you can cookie cutter and this is what you should do.. if it causes them to check out and they thought that they could do it.. no certainty that the red shirt would really stop that. I think if he is healthy, our best option now, the staff feels they are ready mentally, and they want to do it.. you do it. no crystal ball to know for certain.

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
Soft between the ears has a cure. Don’t keep the kid in bubble wrap. Most of the top guys now have experienced defeat. That’s how you get over it.

I get tired of hearing how early competition destroyed promising athletes careers. Being uncomfortable with adversity is going to lead to a crushed spirit unless little Timmy is only fed cupcakes his first year of college? Bullshite.
“Get comfortable with being uncomfortable”. That has stuck with me for years and I’ve heard TnT use that I don’t know how many times. When the going gets tough the tough get going! Be bitter or get better! Such cliche sayings that’s aren’t cliche at all. Maybe the most valuable life lesson for any human being in any walk of life.

problem with pulling the shirt is if ncaas are cancelled after, will he lose whole season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT