ADVERTISEMENT

Ayala

Yup...I pretty much forecasted all my wrestling spending based on the uncertainty of Detroit. If this were Tulsa (next year) or even KC the following, I would be going. So it's Iowa state tourney, B1G and maybe Texas.
I'm leaning towards watching all of this at home (assuming they happen of course), so I don't have to put up with potential flight cancellations, COVID cancellations, etc. (still have 8 sets of tickets to 2020 U.S. Bank tourney in a drawer). So to summarize: I'm too old and stubborn to put up with this "up in the air" shit these days.

Planning on hitting Iowa/Penn State, but that's a 6 hr drive with Family nearby, so no flights or Hotels to deal with. Hope that goes off and we actually see 2 full lineups of Starters. (wouldn't THAT be something!) Ha!

It is my understanding that you cannot apply for a medical hardship year until after the season is over AND that their is no “regular” redshirt available.

Yeah I'm confused. There does appear to be a distinction between if you've already used your regular redshirt or not when applying for the medical hardship waiver. If you haven't already used your regular redshirt, looks like they may just count the medical hardship waiver as the regular redshirt.
It's all based on the 5 year clock. If getting the additional year does not require an extension to the 5yr clock, it's a medical redshirt. If getting the year back violates the 5 yr rule, you need a hardship waiver. To your point about redshirting, yes, if you redshirted and then got injured, it will always be a hardship waiver. Anything which would grant a 6th year is a hardship. People have commented about Spencer getting a medical and then regular redshirting next year. Can't do that because you have exhausted the 5 year clock. He would need a hardship waiver to do that.

Reactions: el dub
Yup...I pretty much forecasted all my wrestling spending based on the uncertainty of Detroit. If this were Tulsa (next year) or even KC the following, I would be going. So it's Iowa state tourney, B1G and maybe Texas.
Nice, I was smart enough to get Texas tickets months ago, all while still touting my big valentine's surprise getaway to fiance.....feel free to take notes fellas. #selflesslyallforher

Nice, I was smart enough to get Texas tickets months ago, all while still touting my big valentine's surprise getaway to fiance.....feel free to take notes fellas. #selflesslyallforher

She’ll learn. My wife has been onto me for years. I propose a trip, she rolls her eyes and asks me who’s wrestling or playing ball.

Me: “Let’s go to Omaha in March and visit our family and my sister’s grave.”

Her: “Are the Hawks wrestling there?”
Me: “Well since you brought it up, they are wrestling in Lincoln so I figured…”
Her: “You used your dead sister….”

It is important to note that my sis would totally be down with this tactic. Her husband also wrestled so she understands we’re not all there.
But yea, nobody can sell Detroit as a getaway.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if NCAA's are cancelled
I don’t think they will cancel NCAAs but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s impacted by positive tests. I really hope this variant peters out long before tourney time. I really really hope this variant provides some mass immunity with much diminished illness as it appears to be doing so far.

can you say there will or won't be for sure. i can't.
i can say that you shouldn’t make lineup decisions on something that “might” happen, but isn’t likely. how stupid would they feel if they lost by 5 with drake on the bench? we had ncaa’s last year before vaccines were widely available. there is a chance for no fans maybe, but ncaa’s are happening. let’s keep the covid doomerism to a minimum.

She’ll learn. My wife has been onto me for years. I propose a trip, she rolls her eyes and asks me who’s wrestling or playing ball.

Me: “Let’s go to Omaha in March and visit our family and my sister’s grave.”

Her: “Are the Hawks wrestling there?”
Me: “Well since you brought it up, they are wrestling in Lincoln so I figured…”
Her: “You used your dead sister….”

It is important to not that my sis would totally be down with this tactic. Her husband also wrestled so she understands we’re not all there.
But yea, nobody can sell Detroit as a getaway.
Chiefy

Detroit has a cool inner city vibe going in DT. I think your wif would like it. Just don't venture outside of city center.

Then too, for history, nothing beats the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.

GM has their own "historical car museum" which is invite only. I have an "in" to see it while at Nats. If you're there, lmk

Chiefy

Detroit has a cool inner city vibe going in DT. I think your wif would like it. Just don't venture outside of city center.

Then too, for history, nothing beats the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.

GM has their own "historical car museum" which is invite only. I have an "in" to see it while at Nats. If you're there, lmk
Honestly, downtown Detroit should actually be considered a separate city from residential Detroit. The way they have recently developed downtown while ignoring much of the long term damages the riots caused to the city as a whole really has separated the 2 from each other, basically isolating the residential areas and most of the school system.

As such, you do have a downtown area that is quite nice and “safe areas” are clearly delineated between the 2.

How confident is everyone they will pull his shirt. It seems so obvious they would but I would never bet on what TnT were gonna do.
I don't think they have any choice. IMO it's a 100% done deal. If Ayala and his Family were adamantly opposed, they won't do it. Drake has already stated he'll trust their decision and he'll go if they want him to. I think he goes.

So who is starting to get pumped for Friday night? It's gonna be electric in Carver when Ayala's shirt get pulled. Seriously bummed I can't be there in person to see it.
Taking my Dad to his first Iowa dual. I told him there is nothing like when Carver explodes. If they introduce DA that place will go nuts. If he beats McKee I would expect Kemerer/Hall type decibels.

Nothing should ever be canceled due to Covid. All that needs to happen is for there to be a waiver. I’m sure The NCAA knows a good lawyer to write it up. It just needs to be “The (insert institution, in this case NCAA) is not responsible for any illness, injury, or death as it relates to COVID-19 for the undersigned individual. Give it to the athletes, coaches, trainers, whoever needs one. If people don’t wanna go then they don’t wanna go. But I guarantee 99% of people would sign it.

Nothing should ever be canceled due to Covid. All that needs to happen is for there to be a waiver. I’m sure The NCAA knows a good lawyer to write it up. It just needs to be “The (insert institution, in this case NCAA) is not responsible for any illness, injury, or death as it relates to COVID-19 for the undersigned individual. Give it to the athletes, coaches, trainers, whoever needs one. If people don’t wanna go then they don’t wanna go. But I guarantee 99% of people would sign it.
No Institution would truly trust that waiver to hold up if someone died. Nor, would they like the “look” of being an Institution willing to let their students risk something like that.

I am sorry, but what you are suggesting just won’t happen…

Now you are just talkin' crazy! People making their own choices and then having to be accountable for said choices. We can't have that in today's society can we?

No Institution would truly trust that waiver to hold up if someone died. Nor, would they like the “look” of being an Institution willing to let their students risk something like that.

I am sorry, but what you are suggesting just won’t happen…
You sure?? How many “positive tests” in healthy athletes without a single death, FROM Covid, not WITH Covid have to happen before this illogical non-sense is put behind us?? Common sense must become more common…. Quickly.

You sure?? How many “positive tests” in healthy athletes without a single death, FROM Covid, not WITH Covid have to happen before this illogical non-sense is put behind us?? Common sense must become more common…. Quickly.
Yeah, I am pretty sure. We are a country where products and services are almost exclusively manufactured to redundancy in risk management. Steel beams are rated 100S of percentage points above acceptable thresholds. Cribs are made to avoid a 1 in 100s of millions chance at suffocation in infants. So on and so forth.

As such, where is the benefit to the Institutions to go to a waiver and just act like everything else is normal? I mean what would be the gain to the University to allow the risk? Make no mistake, Common sense or not, I just don’t see how it would be in their best interest to do so…

Reactions: Trapper85

Chief, are DIIIs in CR an option for you?

Reactions: IAChief32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT