ADVERTISEMENT

Ayala

"Nut up or shut up" I love it. Anybody foolish enough to spout truly insider information on a public forum would certainly find themselves not having insider information anymore.

For me, I see somebody tuned in like Novak or Acuhawk message somebody and say what that person is saying is demonstrably false is enough for me, and I recognize that any details are none of my business, but they would know.

If my best friend tells me he has cancer and asks me not to tell anybody, I'm sure as hell not going to the local grocery store and telling everybody I see "hey did you hear about Billy? He has cancer!" If TnT or any wrestlers wanted you/the general public to know they were hurt, they'd tell you. Till that happens, it's nobody's place or business to tell you a damn thing.
i’m not saying that you should post what you know. i’m saying if you can’t post it, don’t say that you know it but can’t tell. i wouldn’t go around the grocery store and say “you hear about billy? something wrong. pretty serious. i know what it is but i’m not supposed to say.”

Rather than attack Tarp personally, you might explain why "with 100% fact he doesn't know anything about the situation." That would be helpfully informative. Otherwise, a lot of us will still be wondering why it was necessary to throw Ybarra to the wolves this weekend.
Because I know why they didn't wrestle and he doesn't. His reasoning is mind games by the coaches and some on here eat it up. I was trying to help those of you that think he knew something but you can lead a horse to water....

23sofar I get being pissed about not seeing our full lineup. This season has sucked so far for all of us. I also understand the frustration about the lack of information. Fans want to know because they care. I don't agree with those that won't watch the team that's put out on the mat if they don't have those answers, but respect your right to feel that way. I'm not a better fan because I'm going to Carver regardless of the line up. I just have a different perspective. The program is lucky to have such a passionate fan base. I just got sick of a certain guy who I used to respect regurgitating the same garbage. I tried bringing it up on the IC forum but he must not be a member there any more.

i’m not saying that you should post what you know. i’m saying if you can’t post it, don’t say that you know it but can’t tell. i wouldn’t go around the grocery store and say “you hear about billy? something wrong. pretty serious. i know what it is but i’m not supposed to say.”
I guess you get different vibes than I get. When somebody that's been shown to be connected says something, I'm appreciative of the little info that they do give, as it at least sheds a little light in the situation.

I don't see it as flexing on insider information. If somebody is going around saying "hahaha I know but can't tell" then yeah that's a pointless comment and I agree, but if somebody who knows is saying "I can't say more, but this guy is way off on what he's saying", then that is good insider info to me, because that narrows down the reasonable conclusions I could draw from a situation.

Reactions: johnyt9 and Gobblin
I love and expected the blow back from tarpies rainbow club.
So, anyone with a similar opinion to Tarp is member of the rainbow club? That sounds a bit….. simplistic at best.

But, you do you. (Most) fish don’t fly, but people still fly fish. Some of the best people, I’ve heard.

So, anyone with a similar opinion to Tarp is member of the rainbow club? That sounds a bit….. simplistic at best.

But, you do you. (Most) fish don’t fly, but people still fly fish. Some of the best people, I’ve heard.
i suspect this is a reference to something else, but i’m not sure what.

Reactions: el dub
i suspect this is a reference to something else, but i’m not sure what.

I put it through the El Dub translator:

Although Tarp was somewhat of a fish (sorry Tarp) in the Hawk wrestling room back in the day, he still toed the line with some of our greatest lightweights...therefore El Dub has a high opinion of Tarp. Either that or El Dub just needs his afternoon allotment of Ho-Ho's.

Um because Tarp's busy on the east coast writing books and Acuhawk is actually tuned into things?

Anything past that isn't any of yours or any other fan's (including mine) business.

I mean what do you expect, people who know are just gonna come on here and say "yeah, it really sucks that we haven't seen Spencer yet, turns out his knees have been way worse than expected." Cue the next time Spencer wrestles and the guys are just diving at legs trying to twist them up.

The fact that any of you think we have a right to know what's going on with these guys injury wise just baffles me. If the forum knows, then the public knows, which is a competitive disadvantage to our guys.

Got it. I should take it on faith that Acuhawk has inside information that "100%" disproves Tarp's take, and at the same time I should also accept that Acuhawk is prudently withholding that information b/c disclosure on this forum might provide a competitive advantage to future opponents wrestling Iowa's third best 125 lber. In the meantime, Acuhawk is free to attack Tarp's bona fides on the basis of this same undisclosed information. Well, that clears it up.

Got it. I should take it on faith that Acuhawk has inside information that "100%" disproves Tarp's take, and at the same time I should also accept that Acuhawk is prudently withholding that information b/c disclosure on this forum might provide a competitive advantage to future opponents wrestling Iowa's third best 125 lber. In the meantime, Acuhawk is free to attack Tarp's bona fides on the basis of this same undisclosed information. Well, that clears it up.
There you go, took ya long enough.

If you can't figure it out from there, then nobody is going to be able to help you.

I think sometimes Tom just lets the backups go to get their chance at a live go in a dual. This is even more likely if the starter is banged up (not enough to keep them out in a "must go" situation, but enough to take a safety first take on the situation). This keeps the room a lot tighter I'm sure too. I think they really do "like their guys" and expect everyone to go out and perform and win every match, underdog or not. This year has been frustrating so far for sure, but I'm really starting to believe we are just snakebit when it comes to injuries at Iowa. I really have a gut feeling Drake will get his shirt pulled. What I'm not sure on is if it will be this weekend or not. I would love to see him against McKee and Shroeder as those are two podium guys. If Drake ends up our 125 this year and Kem gets back sooner rather than later (would like to see him knock the rust off before B10's) we are still in this against PSU. Pulling Drake's shirt to start the night and sending Kemmerer out on either Friday or Sunday will get Carver rocking for sure. Tom says he wants to entertain the fans and both these guys going will do that. Lots of huge duals coming up to get our best on the mat. I'm more concerned Covid will screw us again then Tom not getting our best lineup out there tbh.

Let me guess, you're one of the guys that told Randy he was lying when he came on here and defended the coaches saying that we didn't cut the HWC girls team because Smalls and Micro P said otherwise.

Some people just can't be helped.

Fans want to see the starting lineup of their favorite Team every single time whether it's a mat, court, field or rink. That's your expectation as a fan when you pay for tickets, streaming services, travel and lodging, etc. Your time and money is invested.

When you don't get that and you know why, you deal with it. When you don't get that and you don't know why it's frustrating as hell. You've got a season ticket holder base that sold out Carver Hawkeye for the first time ever, and those fans have yet to see the 10 starters of the Defending National Champions assembled together competing, 2 months into the season, and they don't know why that is.

Now you can make the argument that half the Team is consistently injured and it's a secret what that injury is. Fine. But that's not what comes out of Iowa City. Fans are left to speculate what the hell is going on. That's bad for business IMO. And not all fans live in the vicinity and have minimal time invested to go see whatever lineup gets trotted out there. From my perspective Iowa is doing their fanbase a disservice with all the cloak and dagger bullshit. That's my opinion as a fan that's been following this Program longer than many reading this have been alive.

For me personally I have a 6 hour drive one way to Iowa City. You let me know in advance who I'm going to see when I get there and I'll make my decision whether to show up or not. In all likelihood I'm not driving 6 hours to watch Iowa's Junior Varsity in Wrestling or any other Sport. Call me a bad fan, I'll deal with it.
Well said IMO. ^^ College D1 wrestling has seemed to drift to more and more wrestlers sitting out a meet to avoid a possible loss, etc, or MFF'ing out of a tourney once 1st place is no longer available, etc.

Yes, there are some times very legit reasons why a person cannot go, but I think it has gone way past that now...for a number of programs. I hate to see it and it is frustrating for fans like me...but it is also very hard for all of us outsiders to know the true reasons and the legitimacy of those reasons.

It's a real balancing act, you can't, as a coach, reveal real health/injury stats willy nilly, but if everything is strictly "you have to trust the coaches no matter what" and there are key people missing key events...then fan interest is going to wane.

I put it through the El Dub translator:

Although Tarp was somewhat of a fish (sorry Tarp) in the Hawk wrestling room back in the day, he still toed the line with some of our greatest lightweights...therefore El Dub has a high opinion of Tarp. Either that or El Dub just needs his afternoon allotment of Ho-Ho's.
Dude…. I’ve been trying to kick sugar.

Just taking creative license. Not calling Tarp a fish. However, I do appreciate the unique views of Tarp-on this topic.

Say what you want. Tarp knows the characters in question. He might not have details of specific athletes’ health records, but he does know the general mindset of TnT.

To some, that might not mean much, to others, it might. Lol

I used to have a lot of respect for Tarphawk. I still respect what time spent in the room. The last few years he chooses to take a negative slant whenever he doesn't know what's going on. I normally ignore it but when someone else calls him out, and people side with Tarp thinking he knows anything it is time to let some of you know he really doesn't.
In this thread specifically he clearly doesn't know anything about what's going on with Siebrecht and Wilson. He has his followers that think differently and in turn look silly. I can tell you with 100% fact he doesn't know anything about the situation. More often that not he comes across like a jilted dude to those that actually know what's going on. Sorry Tarp but I've bit my tongue long enough while you post your uninformed smart ass digs. It's doing other fans a disservice letting them think you know anything about the roster situation.
Tarp is cesspool legend status IMO. FWIW I don't think he's being negative to besmerch anyone's character....I think he's really ready to take bat to a neighbors car after bad matches...like barely keeping it together plus he's not going on and on like others u know that ya? It's usually a line or 2 when that's very harsh but usually true......75% of the time funny too, can't halt that party.

Dude…. I’ve been trying to kick sugar.

Just taking creative license. Not calling Tarp a fish. However, I do appreciate the unique views of Tarp-on this topic.

Say what you want. Tarp knows the characters in question. He might not have details of specific athletes’ health records, but he does know the general mindset of TnT.

To some, that might not mean much, to others, it might. Lol
The general mindset of TnT in the 80s-90s was to slaughter anybody on their path to world wrestling domination..

What about that would lead someone to today think they would be holding out healthy guys or be playing mind games?

I respect Tarp and everything he went through to achieve his goals, loved his blog, dude was a warrior. But he's been out of touch with the room for a LONG time and I think his word gets credited as fact more than it should.

I think sometimes Tom just lets the backups go to get their chance at a live go in a dual. This is even more likely if the starter is banged up (not enough to keep them out in a "must go" situation, but enough to take a safety first take on the situation). This keeps the room a lot tighter I'm sure too. I think they really do "like their guys" and expect everyone to go out and perform and win every match, underdog or not. This year has been frustrating so far for sure, but I'm really starting to believe we are just snakebit when it comes to injuries at Iowa. I really have a gut feeling Drake will get his shirt pulled. What I'm not sure on is if it will be this weekend or not. I would love to see him against McKee and Shroeder as those are two podium guys. If Drake ends up our 125 this year and Kem gets back sooner rather than later (would like to see him knock the rust off before B10's) we are still in this against PSU. Pulling Drake's shirt to start the night and sending Kemmerer out on either Friday or Sunday will get Carver rocking for sure. Tom says he wants to entertain the fans and both these guys going will do that. Lots of huge duals coming up to get our best on the mat. I'm more concerned Covid will screw us again then Tom not getting our best lineup out there tbh.
This. It's a lose lose for our coaches and it truly is a thankless job.

For a decade everybody constantly griped about how our guys looked worn out and beat up when it got to BIGs and Nationals, and now that they're taking a more cautious approach they're destroying the sport by not sending all the top guys out there.

It's a balancing act, that's for sure. One I'm damn glad I don't have to make the decisions on.

The general mindset of TnT in the 80s-90s was to slaughter anybody on their path to world wrestling domination..

What about that would lead someone to today think they would be holding out healthy guys or be playing mind games?

I respect Tarp and everything he went through to achieve his goals, loved his blog, dude was a warrior. But he's been out of touch with the room for a LONG time and I think his word gets credited as fact more than it should.
Not saying holding out healthy to play mind games. More like a lack of info leads to speculation by fans.

Things surely evolved in the room in the last decades. The coaches, too. But I’m still basically the same person I was when I was five. I have learned and experienced a lot. But somethings were baked in at an early age….

For a decade everybody constantly griped about how our guys looked worn out and beat up when it got to BIGs and Nationals, and now that they're taking a more cautious approach they're destroying the sport by not sending all the top guys out there.

It's a balancing act, that's for sure. One I'm damn glad I don't have to make the decisions on.
For decades the coaches were bragging about training through duals. There has to be a healthy middle ground, no?

Tarp is cesspool legend status IMO. FWIW I don't think he's being negative to besmerch anyone's character....I think he's really ready to take bat to a neighbors car after bad matches...like barely keeping it together plus he's not going on and on like others u know that ya? It's usually a line or 2 when that's very harsh but usually true......75% of the time funny too, can't halt that party.
Seems like any time there's a chance to have a negative opinion against the Brands', Tarp is on here throwing it out there.

Now maybe he's just a negative dude (like Art) and that's how he'd be if anybody was our coach. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Gobblin
Not saying holding out healthy to play mind games. More like a lack of info leads to speculation by fans.

Things surely evolved in the room in the last decades. The coaches, too. But I’m still basically the same person I was when I was five. I have learned and experienced a lot. But somethings were baked in at an early age….
I have no doubt that you've been baked since an early age. Sorry I had to.

Agree that there's definitely a middle ground in going too hard and sitting our guys our too much, but maybe we're just going through more injuries/bad luck than other years too?

If it was going on for the last 5 years where we're constantly sitting guys then us being a little soft is something I can get behind.

But we really only started sitting a lot of guys last year and this year, and both years it's been pretty clear we're going through a lot of adversity, so I'm willing to give our coaches a pass.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin and el dub

More this than anything else. With Spencer's injury, it was "training methods." But when he doesn't wrestle, it's "ducking."

I have no doubt that you've been baked since an early age. Sorry I had to.

Agree that there's definitely a middle ground in going too hard and sitting our guys our too much, but maybe we're just going through more injuries/bad luck than other years too?

If it was going on for the last 5 years where we're constantly sitting guys then us being a little soft is something I can get behind.

But we really only started sitting a lot of guys last year and this year, and both years it's been pretty clear we're going through a lot of adversity, so I'm willing to give our coaches a pass.
I never smoked weed until I was 18. And back then I didn’t really like it much.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Seems like any time there's a chance to have a negative opinion against the Brands', Tarp is on here throwing it out there.

Now maybe he's just a negative dude (like Art) and that's how he'd be if anybody was our coach. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, maybe he does always do that huh? ..Honestly the only thing truly endearing to me about Tarp (besides his blog) is how pissed he can get over matches...I don't know why but I love it. Acuhawk is cool, Tarp is a grown up, Oh...it must Thursday afternoon at the cesspool.

in defense of tarp, for a returning title team with everybody back, things have not gone smoothly this year. injuries, upsets, general mystery around important contributors, etc…it’s not like he’s running around saying the sky is falling. just not a lot to be excited about yet.

Don't know anything about Drake's situation, but it's not like these guys would need a season ending injury to miss a meet. Why risk it if you're a little "banged up" (ie hurt).

Why does it have to be so black and white, injured or fine?

And if you're gonna talk hesitancy to pull a redshirt that's something I would entertain as an option, but to sit here and say TnT have just spent the season playing mind games with half the team is asinine.
On the humorous side, I was once asked if I knew what the definition of “asinine “ was. I said yes I do. See the woman standing by the door? I give her breast a 10 and her asinine.

in defense of tarp, for a returning title team with everybody back, things have not gone smoothly this year. injuries, upsets, general mystery around important contributors, etc…it’s not like he’s running around saying the sky is falling. just not a lot to be excited about yet.
I'd agree, if he hadn't been like this for years, and last year when we won I don't recall him bouncing off the walls complimenting TnT either.. Maybe I'm forgetting, I'm not sure.

Definitely been a downer of a year so far, hopefully we can pull it together when it really matters.

Reactions: js8793

By reading his blogs and what he posts on here, I don’t think the Brands were ever friendly with Tarp, so I am not surprised to see no love lost between them.

As far as being negative to coaches goes, Tarp spent his time under Gable. EVERY coach is going to fall woefully short in comparison.

With the above said, I agree that no one should take what he says as “insider” knowledge. But, to be clear, I don’t think Tarp has ever even hinted that he has any…

I'd agree, if he hadn't been like this for years, and last year when we won I don't recall him bouncing off the walls complimenting TnT either.. Maybe I'm forgetting, I'm not sure.

Definitely been a downer of a year so far, hopefully we can pull it together when it really matters.
So you don't want opinions on Hawkeye wrestling on a Hawkeye wrestling message board unless they unanimously positive. That's not the way message boards work. In terms of Tarp, I appreciate his insights. They are never 'insider' posts, they are wrestling posts. Brands is a great leader for the Hawks, but he is definitely not infallible. Tarp is complimentary of the Hawks when he sees it and critical when he sees it.
I love and expected the blow back from tarpies rainbow club.
I appreciate your posts, just as I appreciate Tarps. However, this thread makes you look really hyper-sensitive and annoying, like a teenage girl. Eat a snickers, relax. Fans on message boards will not always agree with head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT