ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter

Mar 24, 2016
Has he been in the wrestling room at all this season? Practicing at all? Has he played any snaps in football yet? I'm assuming no.

Given the new redshirt rules, allowing some competition up to x number of matches while still being able to redshirt, it'd be awesome if we got to see him in action as the starter for at least a few matches this year.

I appreciate that he's doing both sports and the coaches of both programs are working together on that, but it'd be a bit of a shame if he's playing zero snaps in football, while not practicing for wrestling when he's likely the best guy in the room at HWT and could be the starter this year. I'm assuming that Kirk and Tom are in close communication on that (or at least I hope so).

Appreciate anyone who has any info on the situation or the prospects of him competing in wrestling this season. I understand that it's also probably in his best interest to redshirt regardless.

He hasn't seen the field yet this season. I doubt he's been at wrestling practice.

Tom Brands said in pressers that Ben is not supposed to be in the room until football is over.

I wonder how things would be playing out if wrestling season was before football. If Kueter wasn't a starter in wrestling (and hadn't even wrestled a single match), would Tom Brands require that Kueter not attend any football practices until after the wrestling season concluded even if Ben was expected to be the best player on the roster at his position in football and would Kirk be ok with that?

I have zero idea who set the restrictions on him not participating in any wrestling until after the football season concludes, but I'd love to know if that's coming from Kirk, Tom, Ben himself, or a mutual agreement amongst the three.

I'm sure they all have Ben's best interests in mind, but I have some small speculation that there's some wrestling being treated as second class by the football program occurring. Someone with insider info please reassure me that's not the case.

Tom Brands said in pressers that Ben is not supposed to be in the room until football is over.
I hope ( unrealistically most likely) that BK gets some time in the room in December following the B1G title game. He hasn’t played all season so Kirk should throw the wrestling team a proverbial bone by not demanding he sit out completely until after the bowl game.

Football Scholarship, they call the shots.

If the only reason, he's not in the wrestling room more is because Kirk is restricting him, that'd be bad imo, and deserving of criticism. I guess that is my question - does Ben want to be wrestling more, but isn't allowed to due to restrictions in place by the football program or is Ben preferring to pretty much wait until football has concluded before getting into wrestling?

I hope ( unrealistically most likely) that BK gets some time in the room in December following the B1G title game. He hasn’t played all season so Kirk should throw the wrestling team a proverbial bone by not demanding he sit out completely until after the bowl game.
I know he didn't dress for the first home game this year, but has dressed since I believe. I don't think he's on the travel squad for football either. Everyone travels to the bowl, but not Indy.

I know he didn't dress for the first home game this year, but has dressed since I believe. I don't think he's on the travel squad for football either. Everyone travels to the bowl, but not Indy.

I think we all know Kirk well enough to know that there's about a 0.01% chance that Kueter plays a snap this season.

Reactions: el dub
I wonder how things would be playing out if wrestling season was before football. If Kueter wasn't a starter in wrestling (and hadn't even wrestled a single match), would Tom Brands require that Kueter not attend any football practices until after the wrestling season concluded even if Ben was expected to be the best player on the roster at his position in football and would Kirk be ok with that?

I have zero idea who set the restrictions on him not participating in any wrestling until after the football season concludes, but I'd love to know if that's coming from Kirk, Tom, Ben himself, or a mutual agreement amongst the three.

I'm sure they all have Ben's best interests in mind, but I have some small speculation that there's some wrestling being treated as second class by the football program occurring. Someone with insider info please reassure me that's not the case.
It's no different than a HS kid that plays both sports. They can't start wrestling until football is over.

Reactions: manatree and el dub
If the only reason, he's not in the wrestling room more is because Kirk is restricting him, that'd be bad imo, and deserving of criticism. I guess that is my question - does Ben want to be wrestling more, but isn't allowed to due to restrictions in place by the football program or is Ben preferring to pretty much wait until football has concluded before getting into wrestling?
Practice time is crucial for football too and since that sport is paying the tab, it sets the rules. I'm sure it was all discussed and agreed upon in principle when he signed with Iowa.

What happens if KF and Phil Parker decide to not come back next year? Does Kueter keep things status quo? Quit football? Hit the Portal?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
That doesn't answer the question though.
It absolutely does - football and its practice time comes first because it is paying the tab for his college education. It was certainly discussed and agreed upon by all parties or you would be hearing differently, rather than inferring. It is also likely BK's first choice to pursue until that opportunity is shut one way or another.

KF should’ve been letting him in the room since the news of Cass came out. He’s obviously not making an impact for fball this year, why not help out his other sport.
No he shouldn't have.
And no, of the things KF deserves criticism for, this is not one of them.

BK is on a football scholarship and it was agreed upon by both coaches and BK that football would take priority and he wouldn't be a member of the wrestling team until the football season has concluded.

Regardless of his playing status, BK should be practicing football, even if its as a scout team player.

End of story. Kirk and Tom both said this a long time ago. You would think he stops in to roll every now and again though, he’s a wrestler.

Reactions: el dub
Practice time is crucial for football too and since that sport is paying the tab, it sets the rules. I'm sure it was all discussed and agreed upon in principle when he signed with Iowa.
If someone has a scholarship and they play football the scholarship must be a football scholarship. NCAA rule doesn't allow the use of non-football sports scholarships to play football, else many schools would create sports teams just to hold additional scholarships for football players.

I’ve heard KF talk before about how important these practices are for the young players from now through the bowl game. Evidently it’s common for young players to really make a lot of progress this time of year, so I’m guessing that’s why Kueter isn’t switching over to wrestling sooner.

Virginia Tech's Jimmy Mullen is doing the same thing as Kueter, I noticed he was at the Virginia Tech-Rutgers dual on the bench, also went 2-1 at the Keystone Classic over the weekend losing to VT starter Catka 4-1.
Is Jimmy Mullen on a football scholarship?

Is Jimmy Mullen on a football scholarship?
Also, the kid who committed to Wisconsin trying both sports. Into have 3 heavyweights over 2 classes trying to be D1 wrestlers and football players. We will see if it works for any of them. Since football has more scholarships to give, I bet all three are on football scholarships.

Also, the kid who committed to Wisconsin trying both sports. Into have 3 heavyweights over 2 classes trying to be D1 wrestlers and football players. We will see if it works for any of them. Since football has more scholarships to give, I bet all three are on football scholarships.
Rutgers had a kid who was giving it a shot and he ended up dropping wrestling

I’ve heard KF talk before about how important these practices are for the young players from now through the bowl game. Evidently it’s common for young players to really make a lot of progress this time of year, so I’m guessing that’s why Kueter isn’t switching over to wrestling sooner.

I get that, but the same argument can be made that the first few months of practice in a college wrestling room is where a ton of progress is made. I guess I don't follow how the default take is that he should be exclusively practicing football despite the extremely low likelihood that Kirk puts him in for a single snap unless that is Ben's preference to prioritize football. If wrestling season was first, would Kirk be accepting of him doing both sports? Hypothetical question and taking the scholarship out of account.

I didn't see him listed with their '23 class, so he must be a walk-on to their football team and on wrestling scholarship. So a little different than Kueter

If a multi-sport athlete plays football, he counts towards the football scholarship limit, even if he gets no money. This is to keep schools from stockpiling players with scholarships from other sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I#Rules_for_multi-sport_athletes

Last edited:
If Higgins doesn't come back Ben could have a shot at Mike. Although it is a small chance because Harrell could be the heir apparent or a portal guy. Ben needs to stay in the football building until the end of the season.

Football pays the bills, football gets all the development time they want. This is not rocket science stuff, folks.

I personally don't see it that simply. He's a world champion wrestler and has the potential to be the starter this season. I'd imagine there's a give and take between programs and a willingness to work together and take all factors into consideration. You think Kirk's sitting down in a meeting with Tom and Ben and saying "you're on football scholly so I'm calling all the shots"?

looking at the nfl over last few years, i do not think ferenz needs our help in developing linebackers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT