ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter

If Higgins doesn't come back Ben could have a shot at Mike. Although it is a small chance because Harrell could be the heir apparent or a portal guy. Ben needs to stay in the football building until the end of the season.
Is Higgins one of those seniors that gets an extra covid year?

I personally don't see it that simply. He's a world champion wrestler and has the potential to be the starter this season. I'd imagine there's a give and take between programs and a willingness to work together and take all factors into consideration. You think Kirk's sitting down in a meeting with Tom and Ben and saying "you're on football scholly so I'm calling all the shots"?
Are you even trying to comprehend what people are saying? This isn't high school or travel sports. And yes, he is on scholarship for FOOTBALL - FOOTBALL calls the shots. The "give" from football is he is probably excused from off-season workouts so he can be in the wrestling room. I understand this may be news to you, but the way you see things is not always right. And the answer to your last question was decided when he signed his Letter of Intent.

I personally don't see it that simply. He's a world champion wrestler and has the potential to be the starter this season. I'd imagine there's a give and take between programs and a willingness to work together and take all factors into consideration. You think Kirk's sitting down in a meeting with Tom and Ben and saying "you're on football scholly so I'm calling all the shots"?
Believe whatever you want. BK will be in all the football practices up to the bowl game. Soon you will see that you are wrong. ;)

Great discussion...I was wondering about Keuter as well! In my opinion (and its a poor one) is that Keuter should redshirt this year in the wrestling room....get his 5 varsity matches to maintain his redshirt. I know he is a super strong kid and I'd assume he's been putting on weight this fall season but I'd error on the side of caution as sending him out against the best heavy weights in the country (Kerk, the Air Force heavy, Schultz, Stevenson, etc) is asking for an injury to occur....which didn't he default out of tournament earlier this past summer because of ankle injury suffered?

The amount of points he'd score for us in the team race for a title would minimal in my mind..again, its a poor opinion by me...but keep the shirt on and unleash him next year.

Reactions: globalhawk
Believe whatever you want. BK will be in all the football practices up to the bowl game. Soon you will see that you are wrong. ;)
Vodka is more on the right path than you are.
There is going to be some "flexibility" with the situation.

Great discussion...I was wondering about Keuter as well! In my opinion (and its a poor one) is that Keuter should redshirt this year in the wrestling room....get his 5 varsity matches to maintain his redshirt. I know he is a super strong kid and I'd assume he's been putting on weight this fall season but I'd error on the side of caution as sending him out against the best heavy weights in the country (Kerk, the Air Force heavy, Schultz, Stevenson, etc) is asking for an injury to occur....which didn't he default out of tournament earlier this past summer because of ankle injury suffered?

The amount of points he'd score for us in the team race for a title would minimal in my mind..again, its a poor opinion by me...but keep the shirt on and unleash him next year.
I disagree. Chances of kueter sticking around 5 year’s wrestling are pretty slim. Don’t want to risk injury, but playing football and wrestling, there will always be that possibility regardless. I say let him roll this year 2nd semester as he’s our best option IMO

Kirk doesn't have to say this, Tom & Ben already know this. If Ben wanted to focus on wrestling, he would have not chosen to do both.

I kinda think BIG BEN is playing with his pudding a little? I did not get to see much of him playing Football so i could be way off. Also he obviously is tall and very athletic so there is a lot of potential to develop I guess?

He just did not seem particularly fast or agile from the highlights I saw. Certainly not PRO LB skill set to me? My recollection was people talking about D-end which with a lot of added muscle, would maybe seem like the right choice.

Not sure what his 40 yard dash speed is, or if he ever attended a Football combine workout? I guess my point is, does he even have a realistic shot at being an NFL player? If not, get the F in the Wrestling room where we 100% know what is possible!!!!

I kinda think BIG BEN is playing with his pudding a little? I did not get to see much of him playing Football so i could be way off. Also he obviously is tall and very athletic so there is a lot of potential to develop I guess?

He just did not seem particularly fast or agile from the highlights I saw. Certainly not PRO LB skill set to me? My recollection was people talking about D-end which with a lot of added muscle, would maybe seem like the right choice.

Not sure what his 40 yard dash speed is, or if he ever attended a Football combine workout? I guess my point is, does he even have a realistic shot at being an NFL player? If not, get the F in the Wrestling room where we 100% know what is possible!!!!
He’s a freshman. Give him a minute to develop. I’d much rather see him wrestling but the only money he’ll make from that is NIL and I’m not sure that would be enough to derail dreams of playing in NFL.

He was a 4 star LB recruit, receiving a full scholarship offer from a P5 program. I think he’ll be ok. Rivals listed him as the number 9 OLB in the nation last year.

He was a 4 star LB recruit, receiving a full scholarship offer from a P5 program. I think he’ll be ok. Rivals listed him as the number 9 OLB in the nation last year.
I’m sure he wants to help the wrestling team, but football will be 1st priority not only for the scholarship, but because it could make him a multi millionaire in his mid 20’s.

If Higgins doesn't come back Ben could have a shot at Mike. Although it is a small chance because Harrell could be the heir apparent or a portal guy. Ben needs to stay in the football building until the end of the season.

I don't see him playing much next year.

Don't see very many RS Freshman starting at LB for us.

He will get reps, especially on special teams I would guess.

Haha...same post was made about Jack Campbell...he turned out OK.

Reactions: nu2u and MilleGinja
He also has a chance to start on the Iowa defense next year. Football is first.

Kirk doesn't have to say this, Tom & Ben already know this. If Ben wanted to focus on wrestling, he would have not chosen to do both.
He would also have to be on a wrestling scholarship instead of football and I guarantee Tom is thrilled to be able to have him 2nd Semester and not have to split any available money on him.

No matter how many times you say this, you're not going to manifest it into reality. LOL.

He’s a freshman. Give him a minute to develop. I’d much rather see him wrestling but the only money he’ll make from that is NIL and I’m not sure that would be enough to derail dreams of playing in NFL.
Clearly said potential is there but he just did not appear to be fast enough from limited videos I saw to play LB. I could be completely wrong but would love to know his 40 time?
Yes he certainly was and did but I have seen even the NFL with all their scouts and $$$$ totally screw up on who they draft! How they can make the mistakes they do seems impossible! Here closer to "home" how many big time wrestling recruits have you seen not pan out?

Teams should have full-time scouts where their job is to go evaluate talent and dig a little to see if there are any pitfalls to a prospect? We just had our top 125 recruit for example decide to try to become a navy seal!?!? Maybe this is something you would never find out in time? On the other hand maybe there were signs???

Watch the JOHNNY FOOTBALL documentary. A remarkable story of ultimate highs and lows but somehow the Cleveland Browns did not get the message!?!??! Kid WON the HEISMAN as a FRESHMAN!!! Besides the off-field problems, anyone with football knowledge would question his ability to succeed at the next level. He reminded me of A doug Flutie type.

Yet he was drafted in the first round and you have all sorts of data, tests, videos, etc....

For the kids sake, I certainly hope he becomes a big NFL star! He seems like a great kid and a hard worker.

Clearly said potential is there but he just did not appear to be fast enough from limited videos I saw to play LB. I could be completely wrong but would love to know his 40 time?

Yes he certainly was and did but I have seen even the NFL with all their scouts and $$$$ totally screw up on who they draft! How they can make the mistakes they do seems impossible! Here closer to "home" how many big time wrestling recruits have you seen not pan out?

Teams should have full-time scouts where their job is to go evaluate talent and dig a little to see if there are any pitfalls to a prospect? We just had our top 125 recruit for example decide to try to become a navy seal!?!? Maybe this is something you would never find out in time? On the other hand maybe there were signs???

Watch the JOHNNY FOOTBALL documentary. A remarkable story of ultimate highs and lows but somehow the Cleveland Browns did not get the message!?!??! Kid WON the HEISMAN as a FRESHMAN!!! Besides the off-field problems, anyone with football knowledge would question his ability to succeed at the next level. He reminded me of A doug Flutie type.

Yet he was drafted in the first round and you have all sorts of data, tests, videos, etc....

For the kids sake, I certainly hope he becomes a big NFL star! He seems like a great kid and a hard worker.
He doesn’t even need to be a star to make an NFL team. Plenty of Iowa dudes who have stuck around in the league even when they aren’t stars. And they make a lot of money doing it.

He won't be playing the bowl game.

I'm sure he can squeeze in a practice or two.
He won't be playing; but, he will be with the team practicing.

He might squeeze in a practice or 2. Won't make much difference. I did say "not a regular in the room".

That Kueter will do anything but play football until the football season is over or that it’s not Ferentz’s decision about what he can do in wrestling and when.

Well the word is that he's already been participating in wrestling to some extent. Just not significantly. I made this post specifically to inquire how much and how the dual sport plan is currently working.

And regardless of what is actually happening, in my personal opinion (right or wrong) the trio of Kirk, Tom, and Ben should be working in unison and mutual agreement on how to balance his split between football and wrestling. I'd imagine this is what's happening.

It's also my understanding that the weekly practice hours limitation applies to each sport separately, not in totality. E.g. per NCAA compliance, he could fully participate in both wrestling and football. Obviously that isn't realistic while also balancing school, but I'd think that him being involved in wrestling more than 0% would be acceptable and ideal, but no idea if Kirk agrees with that.

So far we've only heard that he's "been around the room a little, but not as much as we'd like". Pretty vague. If anyone knows more, feel free to share. Until then we can just speculate and discuss as uninformed fans on a fan forum.

There is always players opting out of bowl games to protect their professional stock. How many Iowa has that do this is unknown yet. But, their is a better chance he sees the field in a bowl game rather than regular season or championship game.

Well the word is that he's already been participating in wrestling to some extent. Just not significantly. I made this post specifically to inquire how much and how the dual sport plan is currently working.

And regardless of what is actually happening, in my personal opinion (right or wrong) the trio of Kirk, Tom, and Ben should be working in unison and mutual agreement on how to balance his split between football and wrestling. I'd imagine this is what's happening.

It's also my understanding that the weekly practice hours limitation applies to each sport separately, not in totality. E.g. per NCAA compliance, he could fully participate in both wrestling and football. Obviously that isn't realistic while also balancing school, but I'd think that him being involved in wrestling more than 0% would be acceptable and ideal, but no idea if Kirk agrees with that.

So far we've only heard that he's "been around the room a little, but not as much as we'd like". Pretty vague. If anyone knows more, feel free to share. Until then we can just speculate and discuss as uninformed fans on a fan forum.
you truly are delusional. he is here on a football scholarship to play football……again, to play football. any wrestling will be after the football season, where he is on scholarship.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
you truly are delusional. he is here on a football scholarship to play football……again, to play football. any wrestling will be after the football season, where he is on scholarship.
Yes, sadly wrestling is a side gig he is going to try to do basically part time. If it’s too much, he will just be a football player. They give him the full ride, also have NIL money, and most of all could be a millionaire in 4-5 year in the NFL. Coming out of high school he was better at wrestling, but it not wear the money is. I can’t believe with how big and athletic Kerk is, he didn’t play football. Would have been a good D end. By the way, nobody is touching him this year unless he gets injured or Gable comes back to Minnesota later in the year.

Reactions: IRONBIRD

No....this is a delusional take. He is here as a dual sport athlete to play both football and wrestle. He is on a football scholarship because that's a requirement by the NCAA for two sport athletes who play football. And it's been said that he's already been in the wrestling room a bit this season.

No....this is a delusional take. He is here as a dual sport athlete to play both football and wrestle. He is on a football scholarship because that's a requirement by the NCAA for two sport athletes who play football. And it's been said that he's already been in the wrestling room a bit this season.
While I can generally understand on what you are thinking and what could take place, I think it is also pretty unrealistic to expect it to happen. Football is paying the bill so football is going to be the priority during football season. What if they had a few more injuries and were desperate for him too play? As we have seen, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that could happen. He gets hurt wrestling (during football season) and is unavailable? It's not like they are a bottom feeder and simply playing out the season. Quite frankly, I think it is being overly flexible that he is being allowed in the wrestling room right now.

Don't forget this simple fact either, football provides the revenue for many of the sports to operate. Last checked, I don't believe wrestling on its own is in the black.

While I can generally understand on what you are thinking and what could take place, I think it is also pretty unrealistic to expect it to happen. Football is paying the bill so football is going to be the priority during football season. What if they had a few more injuries and were desperate for him too play? As we have seen, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that could happen. He gets hurt wrestling (during football season) and is unavailable? It's not like they are a bottom feeder and simply playing out the season. Quite frankly, I think it is being overly flexible that he is being allowed in the wrestling room right now.

Don't forget this simple fact either, football provides the revenue for many of the sports to operate. Last checked, I don't believe wrestling on its own is in the black.

I am not asserting that he shouldn't be fully participating and practicing football, just that if he wants to and has the time (he very well may not have time between football and school) that he ramps up his wrestling participation as well.

I disagree that "it's overly flexible to allow him in the wrestling room right now". I believe that Ben's preferences should be strongly factored and it shouldn't be a unilateral coaching decision from Kirk, especially because he isn't playing any snaps. No idea where he's at on the depth chart, but if he doesn't travel with the team to the bowl game, then that's nearly a month between big ten championship game and bowl game where he'd be "stuck in limbo" if not allowed to practice or compete in wrestling.

He has a realistic shot to start this year in wrestling, but that becomes less realistic if he doesn't start practicing until January. I'd imagine the intention is that he'd redshirt regardless, but if there is any thought of him starting this year, I'd think that'd be a conversation that's being had between Kirk, Tom, and Ben acknowledging that he isn't playing snaps this year.

I don't know any of the underlying details on how the dual sport schedule and plan is structured, and that's the purpose of this thread - to speculate and seek input from people who might have those answers.

I understand and agree with the people who've said that Ben will likely prioritize football over wrestling given the earnings potential that would come from making the NFL.

What I don't agree with is people saying "he's on a football scholly, so it's unilaterally Kirk's decision on when he gets into the wrestling room and with what frequency. And I don't imagine that is what's happening.

You reference Ben's preferences - how do you know football is not his preference right now? The more reps you get, the quicker you will hit the field. He knows that. And you can disagree with it being Kirk's decision all you want. Until wrestling pays the bills for nearly every other sport, that is reality. Just like for about 95% of all other power 5 schools.

You reference Ben's preferences - how do you know football is not his preference right now? The more reps you get, the quicker you will hit the field. He knows that. And you can disagree with it being Kirk's decision all you want. Until wrestling pays the bills for nearly every other sport, that is reality. Just like for about 95% of all other power 5 schools.

I don't know Ben's preferences and have never claimed to.

It's not a typical circumstance where you have a world champion caliber wrestler doing both football and wrestling in D1. Again, the NCAA requires that a dual sport scholarship athlete be counted against football and not the second sport. There's no reason that that should inherently mean that Kirk has unilateral authority and control over Ben's participation in wrestling. I don't believe Kirk has mandated that he not attend wrestling practices until after the bowl game, but I have no clue. If you know the specifics feel free to share, otherwise this is just your opinion and conjecture vs mine as two uninformed fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT