ADVERTISEMENT

Best restaurant you have ever eaten at

srams21

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 23, 2004
What is the greatest restaurant you have ever been to and is there a certain dish that you love? Also obviously name the location of the restaurant.

Could be a fancy pants upscale steakhouse or just a local diner.

Reactions: jasonrann
My all time favorite was a small Bistro on lower Greenville in Dallas back in the 80’s called The Grape. They had a chalkboard menu that changed every week based on the ingredients they found at market that week, and everything was spectacular. Wonderful service and a sommelier who knew how the guide non-wine experts to a good choice without ever seeming condescending. Something about the place just made for a great night and great conversation with a date or friends.

After that I guess would be Applebee’s.

Possibly Nage in Rehoboth Beach. Which I see is now Fork + Flask.

There are a lot of nice, kind of funky little places in Rehobooth. Friends of ours have been going there for years, and have lots of recommendations that have helped us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wendy79
Six come to mind immediately. I am bad with names though.
1. 1492 in Chicago about 10 years ago. Tapas place. Wife (no pic) is a foodie. We were there for a weekend and it was so good, we ate there two nights.
2. Visited friends in Duesseldorf, Germany. First night there they took us to an Italian place a block from their apartment. I wish I remembered the name. Maybe it was jetlag, but I haven't had pasta that good since. Edit - wife just told me the name of the place is Confetis.
3. Same deal as #2, can't remember the name. We went to Barcelona last year and a friend referred us to an Italian joint. Life changing.
4. Business trip to China, Shenzhen. Bay side outdoor seafood joint with lots of Chinese "wine" which isn't wine, it puts hair on your nuts.
5. Flyin' Fish, Newport Beach, CA. Their cioppino and garlic bread are the best I have ever had.
6. Also Shenzhen. My first experience with hot pot. Spicy and delicious as hell. Also learned a life lesson of checking the facilities before you eat. Shitting in a hole in the floor ain't fun, boys.

Great thread, @srams21 . Thanks for these memories!

Last edited:
Tadich Grill ... San Francisco
Sam's Grill ... San Francisco
River Cafe ... Brooklyn

More or less a three way tie.

Cioppino at Tadish? Yes, please.

famous-ciopinno-for-2.4e4a4e75be6d4d5f2f0c50991ce5065a.jpg

My all time favorite was a small Bistro on lower Greenville in Dallas back in the 80’s called The Grape. They had a chalkboard menu that changed every week based on the ingredients they found at market that week, and everything was spectacular. Wonderful service and a sommelier who knew how the guide non-wine experts to a good choice without ever seeming condescending. Something about the place just made for a great night and great conversation with a date or friends.

Ever have Mexican at the Blue Goose?

Reactions: SLP-O-8
Couple years we found ourselves in Old Town in Chicago looking for a place to eat and decided on Mama Milano's Pizza Bar. Had some of the best sausage and peppers and pizza I've ever had.

Looking it up now, looks like it's a pandemic victim. Permanently closed. Too bad, would've loved to go back.

I will always remember the sausages and the best sauerkraut I have ever tasted at Wurst Kuche in Regensberg, Germany.

People have their favorite steakhouses in Chicago, but I think the best meal I have had in the US was at Gibson's.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Vetri in Philly. The homemade gnocchi in braised brown butter was spectacular.

What is the greatest restaurant you have ever been to and is there a certain dish that you love? Also obviously name the location of the restaurant.

Could be a fancy pants upscale steakhouse or just a local diner.
Studio - montage laguna beach
Craftsteak - las vegas
Las brisas - laguna beach
Sardine factory - pebble beach area
Rest all in italy and would require search of names.

Reactions: hwk23 and srams21
The Liberty Tavern, Arlington, VA - great vibe and superb presentation and tastes.

Der Andescher im Ratzkeller, Wiesbaden, Germany - Bayerisches kloster bier and solid German dishes.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Nothing too exotic for me.. I’d have to dig up my journal but about five years ago I visited New Orleans and actually got some restaurant suggestions here from HrOT. Ruth’s Criss was absolutely amazing, but there was this Italian restaurant in a second level above a bar near bourbon street I could have died and went to heaven with their veal. And had my one and only lobster meal at the place right on the Mississippi.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
This dude at the state fair that my uncle went to high school with does these grilled steak tips and red potatoes. I missed that in 2020. I don't think the dude recognized me the last few times cause when I originally met him I was a 10 year old fellow carney before leaving the force at 16 when I could finally work long shifts and unlimited hours at a minimum wage local job and be home every night. Anyway, went back to his stand at the fair again when I was 23 or 24 and go back every other yearish to see if he recognizes me and he never does. And I never stop to chat and bring it up because once I get the steak tips I lose interest in the man making them.

If we’re judging on pure snobbery, either Per Se (NYC) or Alinea (Chicago)

Bern’s in Tampa is a personal favorite, as is Bacchanalia in Atlanta.

Reactions: srams21
If we’re judging on pure snobbery, either Per Se (NYC) or Alinea (Chicago)

Bern’s in Tampa is a personal favorite, as is Bacchanalia in Atlanta.
Alinea is great. Soule might be my favorite Chicago restaurant. It's classic soul food but delicious.

The Columbia Restaurant in St. Augustine is pretty nice. I've never been to the original Tampa location.
I’ve been to the Ybor City location. It’s very good. I don’t recall what I had but it was most likely one of their chicken dishes. The flan was excellent. Was there for lunch so we didn’t get to see the flamenco dancers.

Reactions: goldmom
The correct answer is Cavort, across from the Adler Theatre in Davenport.

Archie's Waeside in LeMars, IA isn't fancy by any means nor does it really have any ambience to speak off, but I'll be damned if they don't have some of the best steaks in the country.

Always rumors of some pretty high class clientele flying in just to go eat there.

They have a peppered NY strip that is unreal.

And yes, I have been to some pretty sweet Texas steakhouses, Oceanside restaurants in Florida and California, some Chicago staples, etc, etc, but I always go back to an Archie's steak as almost perfection when it comes to restaurant food.

I know the Grape. Know one of the couples who owned it way back in the 80’s. Good spot!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT