ADVERTISEMENT

Beth needs to call Ryan Grubb; just do it

MeetTheFerentzes

HR All-American
Sep 6, 2022
Just ask if he's interested in coming in to be Iowa's head coach and prepare to pay him an insane amount of money. Then give KF the option to retire with dignity, and even make it sound like it was of his own choice, or just show him the door. This just seems like such an important time. I can't imagine we could get a head coach like him if we don't get him right now. KF has proven beyond a doubt that he is not the one to bring Iowa into the new world of college football. Get it done!

Last edited:
Just ask if he's interested in coming in to be Iowa's head coach and prepare to pay him an insane amount of money. Then give KF the option to retire with dignity, and even make it sound like it was of his own choice, or just show him the door. This just seems like such an important time. I can't image we could get a head coach like him if we don't get him right now. KF has proven beyond a doubt that he is not the one to bring Iowa into the new world of college football. Get it done!
nice thought, but he will be coaching for a blue blood program...

Hold Please Saturday Night Live GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Better wait on Grubb ... losing a 6 year qb and all those receivers. Was he trying to lose the game in 2nd half ! he almost did what the F was with the jr high trick plays when just need to run clock.
But yes Grubb would be better than crap coach have now

Because he built the program into one of the best in the country from complete trash. Because he’s a very generous and caring human being—to the school, to his players (even after they’re long gone) to charities and charity events. Because he’s flat out earned it.
Now do the BF debacle, not to mention the racism lawsuit, rhabdogate, the Noah Fant fiasco, etc....

KF has earned a lot of things...including the hot seat I believe he is now on.

Now do the BF debacle, not to mention the racism lawsuit, rhabdogate, the Noah Fant fiasco, etc....

He is not on the hot seat, not even close. Big boosters reall like Kirk, which I'm sure you are not. Do you give to the I-club? Have season tickets? Travel to see the Hawks play? Give to the swarm? Doubt you do any of those things, so no room to complain. I have met Kirk on several occassions and he is nothing but class and integrity. Something you can't say about many of the coaches out there.

I am glad he is our coach. It was Hayden that got us interested in Iowa football again and Kirk brought things back from Hayden's twilight years. No, Kirk should be given his time to go out on his terms.

Let’s see….yep. He’s still earned the right to go out on his terms!

Gee, that was easy!

Reactions: Bravehawk56
Because he built the program into one of the best in the country from complete trash. Because he’s a very generous and caring human being—to the school, to his players (even after they’re long gone) to charities and charity events. Because he’s flat out earned it.
No. Hayden built it from complete trash. HF had some down years at the end of his run but he was the one that brought the program back.

No, Kirk should be given his time to go out on his terms.
I don’t care who you are, no public employee has the right or power to demand and automatically receive employment according to their terms. That’s a load of bullshit.

Kirk should be treated with dignity and a degree of deference for his service to the University -for sure, but the Univ. has a vested interest in the program far superior to his personal interest or demands.

This principle is foundational and, with regard to KF, has recently been exhibited when Goetz acted to terminate Brian Ferentz.

Just ask if he's interested in coming in to be Iowa's head coach and prepare to pay him an insane amount of money. Then give KF the option to retire with dignity, and even make it sound like it was of his own choice, or just show him the door. This just seems like such an important time. I can't imagine we could get a head coach like him if we don't get him right now. KF has proven beyond a doubt that he is not the one to bring Iowa into the new world of college football. Get it done!
There are rules to follow. HC hires and fires his staff, except if nepotism clause has staff member reporting to AD. BF is now gone, so HC hires new OC.

Beth could work with Kirk to hire Grubbs with the understanding that Grubbs is HC-in-waiting. Possible, but not likely.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
It is not her job to pick and choose who she wants on coaching staffs amd micromanage. The next asst coach hire she wont have the direct contact with like she had with Brian from Barta where he had to report to them not Kirk. The new coach will report directly to Kirk and thats how it should be. You want to fire the head coach and get rid of all the staff fine that's her job but don't be sticking your name into the asst coaches search as that is the head coaches job. If Beth wants to micromanage then she could go across the street to the wrestling room and figure out what she is going to do with the whole Ferrari crap that is going on after this last weekend, are you still going to allow him to be a hawkeye.

nice thought, but he will be coaching for a blue blood program...
Turn iowa into a blue blood! Some folks on here seem to think iowa doesn't have permission to strive for national results. If the likes of Clemson, Oregon, ****ing TCU, even MSU during the dantonio years, etc can do it there's no reason a program like Iowa can't .

Kirk is absolutely not going to be fired coming off a 10 win season and holding a $42 million (or $49 million?) buyout.

Nor should he be.

On Oct 5, 2023, KF's buyout was $37M.

When it comes to the B1G Conference:

* Mel Tucker is fighting to be paid his $79M buyout.

* USC’s buyout for Lincoln Riley is not included on the list that follows as it, like Northwestern, is a private institution that has no legal obligation to release coaching contract figures.

• 1. James Franklin, Penn State (No. 4 overall): $64.67 million
  • 2. Matt Rhule, Nebraska (No. 6 overall): $62.06 million
  • 3. Ryan Day, Ohio State (No. 9 overall): $46.22 million
  • 4. Dan Lanning, Oregon (No. 11 overall): $44.33 million
  • 5. Luke Fickell, Wisconsin (No. 13 overall): $39.68 million
  • 6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (No. 14 overall): $37 million
  • 7. Bret Bielema, Illinois (No. 15 overall): $35.75 million
  • 8. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan (No. 21 overall): $27.24 million
  • 9. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota (No. 24 overall): $23.73 million
  • 10. Kalen DeBoer, Washington (No. 25 overall): $23.2 million
  • 11. Tom Allen, Indiana (No. 28 overall): $20.4 million
  • 12. Mike Locksley, Maryland (No. 34 overall): $16.55 million
  • 13. Greg Schiano, Rutgers (No. 40 overall): $13.07 million
  • 14. Ryan Walters, Purdue (No. 44 overall): $12.63 million
  • 15. Chip Kelly, UCLA (No. 48 overall): $8.79 million

• 1. James Franklin, Penn State (No. 4 overall): $64.67 million
  • 2. Matt Rhule, Nebraska (No. 6 overall): $62.06 million
  • 3. Ryan Day, Ohio State (No. 9 overall): $46.22 million
  • 4. Dan Lanning, Oregon (No. 11 overall): $44.33 million
  • 5. Luke Fickell, Wisconsin (No. 13 overall): $39.68 million
  • 6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (No. 14 overall): $37 million
Big difference in these program's recruiting abilities. The top programs, programs that legitimately have a chance at a NC, recruit on a different level than we do. Can Grubb recruit to Iowa?

Reactions: Franisdaman
Big difference in these program's recruiting abilities. The top programs, programs that legitimately have a chance at a NC, recruit on a different level than we do. Can Grubb recruit to Iowa?

No idea.

And to get out of his contract, Grubb would owe Washington $1M; he's currently making $2M per year.

Reactions: icwesthawk
There are rules to follow. HC hires and fires his staff, except if nepotism clause has staff member reporting to AD. BF is now gone, so HC hires new OC.

Beth could work with Kirk to hire Grubbs with the understanding that Grubbs is HC-in-waiting. Possible, but not likely.
No way that KF would agree to this unless it was one of his sons. He'll go with the safe hire in Philbin which I'd have no problem with.

Better wait on Grubb ... losing a 6 year qb and all those receivers. Was he trying to lose the game in 2nd half ! he almost did what the F was with the jr high trick plays when just need to run clock.
Grubb is Washington’s O/C....how’d he “try to lose the game in the second half”? Seems the Huskies scored quite enough points last night...Offense has never been a problem for Pac12/B12 teams historically. I don’t follow a lot of the “stream of thought” here...but I am old.

I do not think KF should be fired and Beth has no power over firing him as interim AD. Who the next Head Coach is will be determined by who they hire. That may be Beth, but not until she has the position. Now, could the president of the university tell her to let him go, who knows. It was not Beth decision to fire Brian, she was just the messenger.
I would hope KF would allow the new OC to be in control, but it does not sound like that is what KF will allow.
If he does not, it may push us farther away from modern day football.
What is getting old, is the history lessons KF keeps telling us about Iowa football, instead of how he is going to fix the problems.
I am going to sit back and watch what happens and hope for the best.
Next few days I expect to see 5-6 players enter the transfer portal and hope it not players that are playing well.

He is not on the hot seat, not even close. Big boosters reall like Kirk, which I'm sure you are not. Do you give to the I-club? Have season tickets? Travel to see the Hawks play? Give to the swarm? Doubt you do any of those things, so no room to complain. I have met Kirk on several occassions and he is nothing but class and integrity. Something you can't say about many of the coaches out there.

I am glad he is our coach. It was Hayden that got us interested in Iowa football again and Kirk brought things back from Hayden's twilight years. No, Kirk should be given his time to go out on his terms.
I'd say 25 years is plenty. What age is to old? Just like in business you should have some kind of succession plan. I like Kirk and respect his legacy but most old coaches ( Hayden included) wait to long and then it ends poorly. I know, we won 10 games this year. This is not sustainable. We've become a national joke w/the punting is winning thing. 3 years running. We know Kirk is bitter about the Brian thing. Grubb is probably leaving after this year. He's done all he can as the o coordinator. I doubt the timing is right as we're going to let Kirk go until he's 75? This is not going to end well. We have zero talent on offense. And for Kirk to bring in a "fit" just means another crony. We can't block, run or pass. Besides that everything is great.

The Washington offense was incredible for 56 minutes, but that last 4 was pretty embarrassing. That was some of the worst clock management I've seen, outside Cristobal. If Texas pulls that out DeBoer and Grubb would be getting raked over the coals today and for very good reason.

The Washington offense was incredible for 56 minutes, but that last 4 was pretty embarrassing. That was some of the worst clock management I've seen, outside Cristobal. If Texas pulls that out DeBoer and Grubb would be getting raked over the coals today and for very good reason.
To be fair if that guy doesn’t get injured the clock was at 50 seconds. They run it down 30 and punt it Texas has maybe 10-15 seconds left from their own 20. Add on the guy running into the returner which gave them another 10 yards. That injured player and clock stoppage almost cost them the game.

Reactions: MitchLL
What other programs are looking for an OC? Who are we competing with? Is Urban Meyer interested in 2nd fiddle?

What other programs are looking for an OC? Who are we competing with? Is Urban Meyer interested in 2nd fiddle?
You honestly don’t think a guy who has a couple of national championships is going to go become a coordinator?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Right. Hes only been at Washington for 2 yrs.

To be fair if that guy doesn’t get injured the clock was at 50 seconds. They run it down 30 and punt it Texas has maybe 10-15 seconds left from their own 20. Add on the guy running into the returner which gave them another 10 yards. That injured player and clock stoppage almost cost them the game.

They shouldn't have been in that position. UW chose to throw the ball prior to kicking the FG with 2:40 left. The incompletion didn't force UT to use it's 2nd TO. Had they done that they could have just taken knees and run out the clock.

Even with that blunder if they just have Penix drop back a few steps on their last drive and take a knee they could have punted with 15-20 seconds left; why are they even handing the ball off? You risk a bad hand off, a fumble, or an injured player. There is no reward and all risk.

One of my biggest pet peeves are these genius X's and O's guys who can't understand a clock, it should be the most simple part of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT