ADVERTISEMENT

Beth needs to call Ryan Grubb; just do it

They shouldn't have been in that position. UW chose to throw the ball prior to kicking the FG with 2:40 left. The incompletion didn't force UT to use it's 2nd TO. Had they done that they could have just taken knees and run out the clock.

Even with that blunder if they just have Penix drop back a few steps on their last drive and take a knee they could have punted with 15-20 seconds left; why are they even handing the ball off? You risk a bad hand off, a fumble, or an injured player. There is no reward and all risk.

One of my biggest pet peeves are these genius X's and O's guys who can't understand a clock, it should be the most simple part of the game.
I was thinking the same. Washington made that game a lot more interesting than it should've been. Yeah there was the interference call on the punt, and then a long pass completion, but Texas shouldn't have had more than 15 seconds or so to drive from deep in their own territory to begin with. Those were some weird play calls under the circumstances.

Reactions: Typical Situation
No. Hayden built it from complete trash. HF had some down years at the end of his run but he was the one that brought the program back.
So your contention is KF inherited a Ferrari?

Look, I’m old enough to know and appreciate what HF did. I’m also aware of how he left the program. HF and KF both building from trash are both true statements. HF was allowed to leave how he saw fit, as he should have.

Just ask if he's interested in coming in to be Iowa's head coach and prepare to pay him an insane amount of money. Then give KF the option to retire with dignity, and even make it sound like it was of his own choice, or just show him the door. This just seems like such an important time. I can't imagine we could get a head coach like him if we don't get him right now. KF has proven beyond a doubt that he is not the one to bring Iowa into the new world of college football. Get it done!

Hey, he is from Kingsley so I say why not!

No. Hayden built it from complete trash. HF had some down years at the end of his run but he was the one that brought the program back.
HF left the cupboard bare and held on too long. Guys that played for both share my opinion.

Reactions: littlez
He did. And Kirk is doing it as well. Look at the offensive talent on this team. There's not 1 current player in the 2 deeps that has a shot of playin in the NFL currently. Does not get any more bare.
I agree, which breaks my heart!

HF left the cupboard bare and held on too long. Guys that played for both share my opinion.
The talent was certainly thin but the program was on solid footing. (8,9 & 7 wins and bowls before the 3-8 year). IOWA football was a punchline when Hayden took over. He left after a down year with weak recruiting...but he built a foundation that KFz was able to rebuild on and he did a hell of a job.

The Washington offense was incredible for 56 minutes, but that last 4 was pretty embarrassing. That was some of the worst clock management I've seen, outside Cristobal. If Texas pulls that out DeBoer and Grubb would be getting raked over the coals today and for very good reason.
Bad clock management you say? Sounds like he'd fit right in.

Better wait on Grubb ... losing a 6 year qb and all those receivers. Was he trying to lose the game in 2nd half ! he almost did what the F was with the jr high trick plays when just need to run clock.
But yes Grubb would be better than crap coach have now
Head coach hiring advice coming from a Nebraska fan is pretty darn rich...

Reactions: Lindemann
There are many OC’s that would look good with a healthy Penix Jr. on their team. He is a helluva talent.

The Hawks made him look rather pedestrian, but he was obviously limited by injury that year.

It is not her job to pick and choose who she wants on coaching staffs amd micromanage. The next asst coach hire she wont have the direct contact with like she had with Brian from Barta where he had to report to them not Kirk. The new coach will report directly to Kirk and thats how it should be. You want to fire the head coach and get rid of all the staff fine that's her job but don't be sticking your name into the asst coaches search as that is the head coaches job. If Beth wants to micromanage then she could go across the street to the wrestling room and figure out what she is going to do with the whole Ferrari crap that is going on after this last weekend, are you still going to allow him to be a hawkeye.
Um, you might want to read what I posted a little slower...

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Look, I’m old enough to know and appreciate what HF did. I’m also aware of how he left the program. HF and KF both building from trash are both true statements. HF was allowed to leave how he saw fit, as he should have.
Nice attempt at putting words in my mouth......it did not work. As I said Hayden had some down years at the end. Maybe KF should learn from that at the very least when he hires his new OC. Brave new world and a solid offense to go along with our Special Teams and Defense seems like a good idea. Except maybe to the HC.

Just ask if he's interested in coming in to be Iowa's head coach and prepare to pay him an insane amount of money. Then give KF the option to retire with dignity, and even make it sound like it was of his own choice, or just show him the door. This just seems like such an important time. I can't imagine we could get a head coach like him if we don't get him right now. KF has proven beyond a doubt that he is not the one to bring Iowa into the new world of college football. Get it done!
I wouldn’t mind seeing him come in as OC for a year or two … until KF steps away … and then considered for the head job….

It’s not impossible to win at Iowa. It’s not impossible for Iowa to be regular top 25 team. We have the fans, facilities, money …

Washington hasn’t been relevant for quite some time. Hell, TCU made it to the playoffs. Washington is in the title game and I don’t know the head coach’s name.

With NIL, portal … tv money … Iowa CAN find success in this new world of college athletics. However, you have to have a coach who is open and willing to change. What worked 10-15 years ago may not work as well today.

I’m okay with KF as head coach IF - IF - he is willing to put away his references to the good ol’ days and how we did things in the 90s, early 00s … I don’t know if Kirk is capable of going outside the box with an innovative OC and then getting the hell out of the way.

We need to start fresh … a proven OC who is allowed to run his show … bring in his recruits … bring in his WR coach and OL coach …

If KF takes the safe route with a Paul Chryst and keeps all other coaches … well… I don’t expect anything to be different until a complete new staff is brought in.

Because he built the program into one of the best in the country from complete trash. Because he’s a very generous and caring human being—to the school, to his players (even after they’re long gone) to charities and charity events. Because he’s flat out earned it.
I missed the part where he's earned the right to retire on his own terms. That's because no one except judges have that right, or owners of private companies.

Reactions: DewHawk and littlez
This is nonsense claiming Grubb will be the next Nick Saban. He might be or he might just be the next hot assistant that everyone wants until he proves them wrong. Remember Scott Frost, Tom Herman, Rich Rod, etc etc.

Reactions: MitchLL
This is nonsense claiming Grubb will be the next Nick Saban. He might be or he might just be the next hot assistant that everyone wants until he proves them wrong. Remember Scott Frost, Tom Herman, Rich Rod, etc etc.
You're right. The program shouldn't take any chances to get to the next level. KF should be allowed to be HC until he is 85, just to be safe. Let's see if the offense can actually gain negative yardage in a game, and maybe even score negative points. If these last 2 games have told us anything about the Iowa football program, especially the offense, is that they are in excellent shape to compete in this changing world of college football. Our HC knows exactly what he's doing...just ask him.

I do not think KF should be fired and Beth has no power over firing him as interim AD. Who the next Head Coach is will be determined by who they hire. That may be Beth, but not until she has the position. Now, could the president of the university tell her to let him go, who knows. It was not Beth decision to fire Brian, she was just the messenger.
I would hope KF would allow the new OC to be in control, but it does not sound like that is what KF will allow.
If he does not, it may push us farther away from modern day football.
What is getting old, is the history lessons KF keeps telling us about Iowa football, instead of how he is going to fix the problems.
I am going to sit back and watch what happens and hope for the best.
Next few days I expect to see 5-6 players enter the transfer portal and hope it not players that are playing well.
Well, THIS portal deadline is today.

Nice attempt at putting words in my mouth......it did not work. As I said Hayden had some down years at the end. Maybe KF should learn from that at the very least when he hires his new OC. Brave new world and a solid offense to go along with our Special Teams and Defense seems like a good idea. Except maybe to the HC.
You’re not saying anything I haven’t already said once upon a time. But to suggest KF started anywhere but the dugout in his quest to score a run is a slap in the face to him and discredits what he built and the talent he developed along the way.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez and DewHawk
I’m in favor of KF retiring based off of his decision to make Hill his starting qb over Labas and Lainez, saying the offense is complicated, and that he wants an OC that doesn’t deviate from what he wants in an OC. This just proves he doesn’t think there is a problem with the offense or that he is willing to change. 25 years is enough.

Thanks again Barta for creating yet another problem for Iowa Athletics with this albatross of a contract to KF. I’d like to see BG negotiate a retirement plan with KF and go get Ryan Grubb. Tired of playing not to lose and wasting three unbelievable defensive years.

He didn't inherit a Ferrari (what incoming coach does?) but what he walked into was a hell of a lot better than what Hayden took on...and than what he would have at most other schools. Look at the attendance for 1998.

The recruiting was down and Fry had lost a step. No doubt. But he left behind a hell of a lot better foundation and legacy that what he inherited. Hayden built up the Iowa brand in a way few had during his era. It was time for him to step down, but he sure as hell didn't leave "trash". All it needed was a refresh of talent.

That was some of the worst clock management I've seen, outside Cristobal.
We don't know what Grubb's called for. Before the FG was Penix supposed to throw it away or go down in bounds? We don't know.

And the last drive who can predict an injury like that to the RB? I had no problem running, could've got a first down and that's game.

And I'm sure he had zero to do with the snapper making the kick catch interference, let alone the poor defense the last four minutes.

He didn't inherit a Ferrari (what incoming coach does?) but what he walked into was a hell of a lot better than what Hayden took on...and than what he would have at most other schools. Look at the attendance for 1998.

The recruiting was down and Fry had lost a step. No doubt. But he left behind a hell of a lot better foundation and legacy that what he inherited. Hayden built up the Iowa brand in a way few had during his era. It was time for him to step down, but he sure as hell didn't leave "trash". All it needed was a refresh of talent.
I'm not arguing KF stepped into a worse situation, FFS. I'm saying KF walked into a very shitty situation, and he turned the program around. It needed a complete facelift in terms of talent, attitude and approach. Is it really hard for people to understand that it could both be true that Fry turned the program around, left it a shit hole, then KF turned it around again? Again, I'm friends with a couple dudes who played for both Fry and KF and they share that opinion.

I haven't looked but it would be interesting to see season, NFL draft, and individual accolades under both coaches.

I'm not arguing KF stepped into a worse situation, FFS. I'm saying KF walked into a very shitty situation, and he turned the program around. It needed a complete facelift in terms of talent, attitude and approach. Is it really hard for people to understand that it could both be true that Fry turned the program around, left it a shit hole, then KF turned it around again? Again, I'm friends with a couple dudes who played for both Fry and KF and they share that opinion.

I haven't looked but it would be interesting to see season, NFL draft, and individual accolades under both coaches.
I hear ya. I guess it's just a matter of degrees. If you look at the roster in 1998 it's easy to be harsh...things were depleted and the energy was gone. If you look at the program in general and the Iowa football brand...it's a little different picture. What Hayden left from his 20 years was far better than what he inherited. KFz put his own stamp on it and brought us back. As it's been said many times...having 2 coaches like that over a 45 year period is pretty amazing.

The talent was certainly thin but the program was on solid footing. (8,9 & 7 wins and bowls before the 3-8 year). IOWA football was a punchline when Hayden took over. He left after a down year with weak recruiting...but he built a foundation that KFz was able to rebuild on and he did a hell of a job.
i think the whole 'cupboard was bare' statement might be one of the most perpetuated falsehoods about that 1998 team.

guys on that 98 team:
sobieski
nelson
kasper
devries
baker
kampman
betts
wheatley
pagel
dj johnson
allen
bowen
yamini
flemister
hughes
porter
rollins
woods
hill

def not bare, some might say it was a pretty good foundation for kf to build on.

It's sad to see it come full-circle.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
I might be incorrect, but towards the end of Hayden's reign, a few asst coaches left and that certainly played into the shelves being somewhat bare when KF took over.
So far, that hasn't been the issue in IC with Ferentz.
The issue now is 1/3 of the three phases of football is severely lacking.
KF's age is likely being used against Iowa in recruiting.

Grubb has zero HC experience. The college FB world is littered with guys who were great coordinators that failed as head coaches. Not definitively saying that is the case with Grubb, but is a big concern.

ETA: Also, if I was to rank priorities, I would ask Beth to concentrate on getting Fran Mac to move on.

• Haha
I hear ya. I guess it's just a matter of degrees. If you look at the roster in 1998 it's easy to be harsh...things were depleted and the energy was gone. If you look at the program in general and the Iowa football brand...it's a little different picture. What Hayden left from his 20 years was far better than what he inherited. KFz put his own stamp on it and brought us back. As it's been said many times...having 2 coaches like that over a 45 year period is pretty amazing.
In today's game I don't' know that what Fry did could be duplicated. Maybe with the portal it could I suppose...but doing it the "right way" like he did would be EXTREMELY difficult to do!

The Washington offense was incredible for 56 minutes, but that last 4 was pretty embarrassing. That was some of the worst clock management I've seen, outside Cristobal. If Texas pulls that out DeBoer and Grubb would be getting raked over the coals today and for very good reason.
On my way home from three days in Nola and the Sugar Bowl (both daughters are UW grads).

DeBoer is going to be aggressive, like UW’s last fg drive. Penix was throwing where most coaches would have kept it exclusively on the ground. Last possession after the onsides kick…he was going to feed Dillon Johnson to get the first down on the ground, like the end of the PAC 12 title game. Freak thing where Johnson got hurt and gave Texas a 40 second gift.

DeBoer, Grubb, and staff have been a blessing to UW. Awesome staff.

Grubb has zero HC experience. The college FB world is littered with guys who were great coordinators that failed as head coaches. Not definitively saying that is the case with Grubb, but is a big concern.
I'd take my chances. The importance of moving the program forward at this point is worth a swing and miss. Like I said in the OP, this just feels like an opportunity that Iowa won't get again.

ETA: Also, if I was to rank priorities, I would ask Beth to concentrate on getting Fran Mac to move on.
Not totally disagreeing - I've been done with Fran for a few years now. I would only argue that the state of the football program is much more important to the athletic department and university than the state of the men's basketball program, and again, the chance to get Grubb may only be there for a few more weeks.

Better wait on Grubb ... losing a 6 year qb and all those receivers. Was he trying to lose the game in 2nd half ! he almost did what the F was with the jr high trick plays when just need to run clock.
But yes Grubb would be better than crap coach have now
Washington certainly loses a lot but the cupboard won’t be entirely bare. They are bringing in the second leading passer in SEC history through the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT