ADVERTISEMENT

Beth needs to call Ryan Grubb; just do it

Saban offered Grubb $2 million to go to Alabama and he declined. Iowa doesn’t have a chance. Next topic.
That's 2M to be the Alabama OC. The OP was suggesting Grubb as Iowa HC, which would certainly be for $5M plus. So the Alabama comparison is meaningless.

But if the decision is made to move away from KF, I would probably lean toward someone with some HC experience.

That's 2M to be the Alabama OC. The OP was suggesting Grubb as Iowa HC, which would certainly be for $5M plus. So the Alabama comparison is meaningless.

But if the decision is made to move away from KF, I would probably lean toward someone with some HC experience.

Is there anyone from Kingsley area, or Buena Vista who knows anything about Grubb? Any chance he grew up a Hawk fan?

Is there anyone from Kingsley area, or Buena Vista who knows anything about Grubb? Any chance he grew up a Hawk fan?
They kept mentioning the Dakota connection during the game and how DeBoer offered Grubb the opportunity when he was living at his sisters house doing contracting work while looking for a football job. Which is why he didn't leave for Bama as it sounded like they are very tight and he also felt they had something special at Washington w/Penix and this group of receivers, which they clearly do. Penix is so special, the guy sees the field so well but also is so accurate and his receivers catch everything. I'd say that if offered the right opportunity now he might leave. Unfortunately the timing doesn't look to be right as Kirk isn't going anywhere. And yes, Grubb is going to command a lot of money.

I love the thought but KF deserves better then that.
Why does he "deserve" better than that? He's been rewarded like a royal for the past 25 years, and he's turned the program into a national punch line. It's time for him to go, and giving him the option to step down with dignity is doing him a favor. If he doesn't want to go that way, he shouldn't be allowed to hold the program hostage until he breaks whatever personal records he wants to have.

Why does he "deserve" better than that? He's been rewarded like a royal for the past 25 years, and he's turned the program into a national punch line. It's time for him to go, and giving him the option to step down with dignity is doing him a favor. If he doesn't want to go that way, he shouldn't be allowed to hold the program hostage until he breaks whatever personal records he wants to have.
Yep, like saying "well so and so lead the company for the past X years and deserves to leave on their terms", regardless of them running the company (Iowa) and its stock into the ground (national punch line for offense)

Reactions: wxhawk
Grubb is not taking a coordinator position regardless of the school or ties to that school. He has now solidified himself as a P5 head coach in the waiting. The question for him is when and what school as he will probably have his pick in the next couple of years.

Grubb is not taking a coordinator position regardless of the school or ties to that school. He has now solidified himself as a P5 head coach in the waiting. The question for him is when and what school as he will probably have his pick in the next couple of years.
My point exactly, except that I don't think Iowa has "years" to get him. Right now there are ZERO head coach openings in the Power 4. Iowa offering him right now would have no competition and would get him a lucrative head coaching position at least a year earlier than he would have otherwise, and despite many fans here having KF-level "we're just little 'ole Iowa" insecurities, the Iowa HC job is one hell of a gig. If he is still Washington's OC in November '24, he will be receiving dozens of inquiries for HC positions. I just have a feeling that it is now or never.

KF had the luxury of 25 years of an AD with a spineless back; maybe it's time he "man up," and confront the lady face-to-face?
I guess at first I misread and didn't realize this thread was about replacing Kirk right now.

But why would he confront her face-to-face when he just went 10 wins and a division championship? What coach would do that?

I guess at first I misread and didn't realize this thread was about replacing Kirk right now.

But why would he confront her face-to-face when he just went 10 wins and a division championship? What coach would do that?
KF isn't the reason the Hawks had 10 wins; neither is BF, neither is KC, and neither is GB. But, you keep on drinking the juice...

Reactions: wxhawk
On my way home from three days in Nola and the Sugar Bowl (both daughters are UW grads).

DeBoer is going to be aggressive, like UW’s last fg drive. Penix was throwing where most coaches would have kept it exclusively on the ground. Last possession after the onsides kick…he was going to feed Dillon Johnson to get the first down on the ground, like the end of the PAC 12 title game. Freak thing where Johnson got hurt and gave Texas a 40 second gift.

DeBoer, Grubb, and staff have been a blessing to UW. Awesome staff.
Yeah, I think that staff is pretty damn good. If there was a pie in the sky scenario, it would be to throw $8M, or more if needed, at DeBoer (which is basically double his salary) to bring his staff and take over the program.... make him turn it down. This would assume no KF buyout, Phil didn't want the HC job, etc.....not going to happen, just what I would do if I could hit a reset button.

KF isn't the reason the Hawks had 10 wins; neither is BF, neither is KC, and neither is GB. But, you keep on drinking the juice...
So you expect Kirk, who just led the hawks to 10 wins and a division champ, who still has a couple dozen million on his contract to approach Beth Goetz and say "hey beth, ya know, It's not because of me. I need to go. Because people on a free message board said so, peace."

?

So you expect Kirk, who just led the hawks to 10 wins and a division champ, who still has a couple dozen million on his contract to approach Beth Goetz and say "hey beth, ya know, It's not because of me. I need to go. Because people on a free message board said so, peace."

?
Like many Hawk fans, I have 25 years of expecting nothing from Kirk. Norm & Phil have always covered for his mistakes. Now, we can add LeVar to the list.

His Offense is a national joke, and he & his son are their leaders. The Citrus Bowl was a national embarrassment; just like any game against a ranked team.

The only thing worse than a Ferentz offense are Ferent supporters "...on the free message board..."

Reactions: DewHawk and wxhawk
Like many Hawk fans, I have 25 years of expecting nothing from Kirk. Norm & Phil have always covered for his mistakes. Now, we can add LeVar to the list.

His Offense is a national joke, and he & his son are their leaders. The Citrus Bowl was a national embarrassment; just like any game against a ranked team.

The only thing worse than a Ferentz offense are Ferent supporters "...on the free message board..."
I agree with you for the most part. I just think it's wild that to suggest he face Beth with a ton of cash and time on his contract still when he's winning games.

I agree with you for the most part. I just think it's wild that to suggest he face Beth with a ton of cash and time on his contract still when he's winning games.
My suggestion? Beth: Fire KF; build a statue; glorious retirement ceremony; thanks for the memories.

Now: Hire Grubb as HC @ $9M per year.

If guess if that's all me means to you and everyone else after all the shit he's done for the program, university and community then Iowa is a bigger toilet than I imagined...which is truly saying something after the last several years. Would I like a change? Truthfully, if he would step down it wouldn't bother me. I absolutely would like to see things ran a little differently. However, KF is a great man with an even better heart, and as an Iowan I guess I was raised to treat people better than what you're describing. Your attitude toward him is complete bullshit. This isn't the SEC for Christ sake, and if you think we're going to bring someone in that will turn us into Bama your an even bigger idiot than you let on. What WOULD bother me is to kick him to the curb for no GD reason other than your (and other people's) juvenile and wildly indignant behavior.

How much do you have personally invested in the program? Time, money and resources?

Last edited:
My point exactly, except that I don't think Iowa has "years" to get him. Right now there are ZERO head coach openings in the Power 4. Iowa offering him right now would have no competition and would get him a lucrative head coaching position at least a year earlier than he would have otherwise, and despite many fans here having KF-level "we're just little 'ole Iowa" insecurities, the Iowa HC job is one hell of a gig. If he is still Washington's OC in November '24, he will be receiving dozens of inquiries for HC positions. I just have a feeling that it is now or never.
Name him OC and Assistant HC. Put it in the contract that he becomes the HC when KF steps away.

In a heartbeat.
I love all the "we won 10 games" - yes, yes, we did. But we were completely embarrassed against anyone with a pulse 0-92 (and even one with little to no pulse (MN). You can settle for the best of the worst or strive to be amongst the best of the best.

Some folks just can't fathom raising the bar.

Name him OC and Assistant HC. Put it in the contract that he becomes the HC when KF steps away.
I would be all for this, but see two problems:

1) In that scenario, Grubb would probably extend KF's career another 3-5 years, and I don't picture Grubb being a HC at a major program any later than 2025 if he just stays where he is for another season.

2) No way in heck would egomaniac KF allow a high-profile OC to come in and overshadow him, and basically make the entire fan base count down the days until he hands over the keys. It would be easier just to get rid of him.

To be fair if that guy doesn’t get injured the clock was at 50 seconds. They run it down 30 and punt it Texas has maybe 10-15 seconds left from their own 20. Add on the guy running into the returner which gave them another 10 yards. That injured player and clock stoppage almost cost them the game.
If If's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. If CM, LL, and EA didn't get hurt early on Iowa's offense would have been at least average.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Just ask if he's interested in coming in to be Iowa's head coach and prepare to pay him an insane amount of money. Then give KF the option to retire with dignity, and even make it sound like it was of his own choice, or just show him the door. This just seems like such an important time. I can't imagine we could get a head coach like him if we don't get him right now. KF has proven beyond a doubt that he is not the one to bring Iowa into the new world of college football. Get it done!
Uh, no ! Come on man, don't be stupid .

There is ZERO chance Beth calls Ryan Grubb.

ZERO.

Just wasting your time talking about it.
Glad you wasted your time to chime in on a thread that is such a waste of time.

Which threads on this board do you consider a wise use of someone's time?

I would be all for this, but see two problems:

1) In that scenario, Grubb would probably extend KF's career another 3-5 years, and I don't picture Grubb being a HC at a major program any later than 2025 if he just stays where he is for another season.

2) No way in heck would egomaniac KF allow a high-profile OC to come in and overshadow him, and basically make the entire fan base count down the days until he hands over the keys. It would be easier just to get rid of him.
Then Beth can write in that KF is done in 3 years with buyout and as long as Grubb has met whatever criteria, he is elevated.

At some point, BG or whomever the AD is will need to find fortitude and do the needed.

Reactions: BetterLuckNextTime
If If's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. If CM, LL, and EA didn't get hurt early on Iowa's offense would have been at least average.
Well Gary Barnett the old Northwestern coach is on the radio here every Wednesday and he said that in his entire life of playing, coaching and watching football he's never seen that happen. He had absolutely no problem handing the ball off to a running back on a basic play up the middle. The play clock goes down to 15 and nobody questions anything. I'm not going to question a coach who's currently in the national championship right now. And before our guys went down we were still a below average offense.

Well Gary Barnett the old Northwestern coach is on the radio here every Wednesday and he said that in his entire life of playing, coaching and watching football he's never seen that happen. He had absolutely no problem handing the ball off to a running back on a basic play up the middle. The play clock goes down to 15 and nobody questions anything. I'm not going to question a coach who's currently in the national championship right now. And before our guys went down we were still a below average offense.
Gary Barnett is on the radio for a reason.

He is not on the hot seat, not even close. Big boosters reall like Kirk, which I'm sure you are not. Do you give to the I-club? Have season tickets? Travel to see the Hawks play? Give to the swarm? Doubt you do any of those things, so no room to complain. I have met Kirk on several occassions and he is nothing but class and integrity. Something you can't say about many of the coaches out there.

I am glad he is our coach. It was Hayden that got us interested in Iowa football again and Kirk brought things back from Hayden's twilight years. No, Kirk should be given his time to go out on his terms.
We all know Kirk is a great guy and all but I’d trade that for a dickhead coach that can beat top 25 teams consistently and put Iowa in the playoffs.

Reactions: BetterLuckNextTime
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT