ADVERTISEMENT

Biden/Trump to debate in June

thewop

HB Legend
Jun 27, 2002
Don't care if pepsi.

Might this debate actually happen?

Great move by the Biden campaign IMO. In theory they could still replace Joe before the convention, so if he stumbles here, there's a) plenty of time to recover, and b) enough time to swap in Gavin Newsome or someone more exciting. It's a good test run of sorts for the viability of a Biden re-election run.

For Trump, the upside is limited in a June debate, as is the downside. It'll just sort of be something people talk about for a week or so...

Reactions: ericram
giphy.gif

Need microphones cut off with zero audio transmitted or picked up when it isn’t their turn to speak.

This tough guy talking over the other needs to stop in all debates at all levels.
i bet its less of an issue this time around

the best thing for the biden campaign is for joe to make his points concisely and then let trump just start rambling

the more trump talks, the better for biden

the best thing for the biden campaign is for joe to make his points concisely and then let trump just start rambling

Yes because we all know Joe is the great orator of our time.

You could swap the names and still be correct

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs

Disagree. Trump will make talking over his priority. Deep down Trump knows his only chance to win is for Biden to have a dementia type moment on live TV with no safety next. Pumping up Biden’s adrenaline blood pressure and anger is his best bet. I think any debate without audio controls will be almost like a bar room shouting match that will embarrass everybody not on far left or far right.

Frankly Biden should refuse to debate without 100% audio lockdown during speaking turns.

I really don't see a purpose for any debate with Trump. All he is going to do is yell and talk longer than he supposed to. Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt.

I do feel confident that Biden can kick his ass on policy debate. I just don't see that happening with El Gordo
Really? Confident? Biden hasn't engaged in a policy debate during a presidential cycle, maybe in '08.

He hasn't been able to get a fact straight recently and normally just resorts to personal attacks, like he did in this announcement/article. That's Trump's game.

Reactions: chonk
Two guys get in a physical fight over what 2+2 equals.

One guy knows it’s “4” but gets his ass kicked and ends up on the ground bleeding.

The other guy thinks it’s “3” and is wrong but walks out the winner of the fight. This is trumps mindset, it’s the only way he has a chance in November. Ignore truth, right, wrong, and even agreed disagreement. Just kick his ass into a bloody pulp.

Two guys get in a physical fight over what 2+2 equals.

One guy knows it’s “4” but gets his ass kicked and ends up on the ground bleeding.

The other guy thinks it’s “3” and is wrong but walks out the winner of the fight. This is trumps mindset, it’s the only way he has a chance in November. Ignore truth, right, wrong, and even agreed disagreement. Just kick his ass into a bloody pulp.
And there's a good chance that enough Americans conflate bluster with evidence of "strong leadership" that Trump could win. But you see how many Americans struggle to navigate four-way stops and roundabouts, it makes sense.

I hope they choose moderators who play it up the middle.
Is it too much to ask that they call it out when one of them says something that has been proven to not be true?

If Donald says the election was stolen. Stop the debate and say we can’t move on until you say that it wasn’t stolen. I know you might believe it, but it’s not true.

Same for Biden. If he says that inflation was at 9% when he took office. Halt the debate, get him to admit that this is simply not true, before moving on.

Is it too much to ask that they call it out when one of them says something that has been proven to not be true?

If Donald says the election was stolen. Stop the debate and say we can’t move on until you say that it wasn’t stolen. I know you might believe it, but it’s not true.

Same for Biden. If he says that inflation was at 9% when he took office. Halt the debate, get him to admit that this is simply not true, before moving on.
I would be 100% on board with every single debate for the rest of history being done like this. This is how every one of them should be moderated.

It's a novel idea, but has there been a moderator in recent years who could apply that standard equally and in an unbiased fashion? It also requires moderator and teams of fect checkers on call to make instant fact checks, and I simply have no faith that could be done in an unbiased fashion.

I think I'd rather have the post debate fact checking happen, it'll still be up to the individual to understand the bias of the network they choose to view, but might keep the debate itself a little cleaner.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

Yes, that would be too much,.. Arguments to the contrary need to be made by the debaters. Fact checking should be relegated to impartial post debate discussion...

The most of the people Trump attracts don't care about his policy positions, they just like what they see as "tough guy" behavior. Interrupting, name calling, threatening, hyperbole, etc, are what they love.
I don't believe that at all. I do think people say that because Dems struggle to debate conservative policy positions since the D party has moved so far left. They prefer identity politics, pointing out how college graduates are more likely to be democrat, and personal attacks. Those are winning battles for them, while arguing about the border, policing, energy independence, or economic policy are much more difficult to emerge victorious on.

The most of the people Trump attracts don't care about his policy positions, they just like what they see as "tough guy" behavior. Interrupting, name calling, threatening, hyperbole, etc, are what they love.
You forgot whining, playing the victim, complaining it’s cold in the court room, etc. but that they can overlook…

I don't believe that at all. I do think people say that because Dems struggle to debate conservative policy positions since the D party has moved so far left. They prefer identity politics, pointing out how college graduates are more likely to be democrat, and personal attacks. Those are winning battles for them, while arguing about the border, policing, energy independence, or economic policy are much more difficult to emerge victorious on.
If we're being honest, right now the only thing the GOP is running on is fighting "wokeness" and getting Trump elected again. Trump is their sole purpose right now. He's their king. That's why this debate will be so entertaining because Trump won't discuss his plans if he's elected. He's just going to ramble about how unfair things have been for him.

Hard to debate conservative policy positions when the Republican party had no platform in 2020. Their policy was simply "whatever Trump wants".

I wouldn’t be surprised if some particular thing wasn’t suffering from 9% inflation when Biden took office or some other slide rule tactic that technically makes it’s true.

Identifying “lies” isn’t rarely that cut and dry.

Last edited:
Identifying “lies” isn’t rarely that cut and dry.

Absolutely correct,.. How frequently does our common understanding of practically any event or topic change slowly over time?,.. Anymore, I just automatically expect the herd's first take on any subject to be incorrect,.. With that being the case it would be impossible to provide an infallible arbiter, so better left to the debaters to demonstrate their knowledge on a topic and live by the consequences of their statements...

Absolutely correct,.. How frequently does our common understanding of practically any event or topic change slowly over time?,.. Anymore, I just automatically expect the herd's first take on any subject to be incorrect,.. With that being the case it would be impossible to provide an infallible arbiter, so better left to the debaters to demonstrate their knowledge on a topic and live by the consequences of their statements...
I agree. Some sort of live play by play calm analysis would be great. Like a sporting event.

Never would happen. Bill Maher might be only person a percentage both sides would accept and a percentage of both sides would be pissed about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT