ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 West 2018 Predictions:

Let’s win a GD Big Ten title as the basketball program seems to be regressing. I suspect the FB team is going to turn some heads this fall.

Have to agree with Scar on this one Nebraska is going to be leaps and bounds better than last year as much as I hate to say this ITGO k Frost will have them fighting it out this year between Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.. you can only hold a giant down so long ... and Frost is one hell of a coach and as a player was lights out

QUOTE="scarletred, post: 5321974, member: 158"]UCF was 0-12 the year before.... Yes it’s going to be a process. “Be better than the day before”[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with Scar on this one Nebraska is going to be leaps and bounds better than last year as much as I hate to say this ITGO k Frost will have them fighting it out this year between Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.. you can only hold a giant down so long ... and Frost is one hell of a coach and as a player was lights out

QUOTE="scarletred, post: 5321974, member: 158"]UCF was 0-12 the year before.... Yes it’s going to be a process. “Be better than the day before”
[/QUOTE]
Lights out as a player? I remember many of husker fans crying for Frankie London to start during his playing days. And as a coach, the guy has not proven himself at the P5 level yet. I suspect when going against the B1G dogs this season he reverts back to his closet hiding days...

Lights out as a player? I remember many of husker fans crying for Frankie London to start during his playing days. And as a coach, the guy has not proven himself at the P5 level yet. I suspect when going against the B1G dogs this season he reverts back to his closet hiding days...[/QUOTE]

Didn't he cry during halftime after getting booed by n.bubba fans? I thought I read that somewhere.

Lights out as a player? I remember many of husker fans crying for Frankie London to start during his playing days. And as a coach, the guy has not proven himself at the P5 level yet. I suspect when going against the B1G dogs this season he reverts back to his closet hiding days...

Didn't he cry during halftime after getting booed by n.bubba fans? I thought I read that somewhere.[/QUOTE]
If he’s a halftime crier, he’ll fit in nicely at Neb.

My first pass guess:

1. Wisconsin - 8-1 / Loss at Penn St.
2. Iowa - 7-2 / Losses to WIS at home and at PSU
3. NW - 5-4 / Losses to MICH, at MSU, WIS, at Iowa
4. PUR - 4-5 / Losses at NEB, OSU, at MSU, Iowa, WIS
5. NEB - 3-6 / Losses at MICH, at WIS, at NW, at OSU, MSU, at Iowa
6. MINN - 3-6 / Losses to Iowa, at OSU, at NEB, PUR, NW, at WIS
7. Illinois - 0-9 / Losses to everyone

Iowa's Big 10 opener vs. Wisconsin will be a huge game.
If Iowa pulls out a W vs. WIS, they have a very realistic shot at getting to Indy.
WIS has a pretty brutal road schedule as they travel to Iowa, MICH, NW, PSU and PUR.
Wish I was this optimistic. Iowa lost a ton and still has the same OC that lead Iowa to a #117 placement offensively.. 5 - 4 in conference.

Super Barkley graduated Thank Bejeesus , Iowa has a punchers chance at PSU
And don't forget our tendency under KF to come into Happy Valley and wreck the game for them. It has happened numerous times and could again. This would be a great year to get back to that.

Of all the ignorant posts here, this one takes the cake.

Well this one just went over your head. He was mocking you guys. Multiple husker fans have been posting statements like exact same thing talking about winning 3 out of next 4 minimum or 90% of games with Frost now. If you want to talk about ignorant and arrogant post and call people out look at majority of your fellow husker fans posting here.

As for big 10 west predictions
1. Wisconsin- until proven on the field someone can knock them off got to leave them here at top spot.
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Purdue
5. Nebraska
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

Watched replay of nebby spring game. 2nd string moved the ball at ease against 1st team D. 1st offense didn’t show much against 2nd team D. Lots of passes - will make it hard on D with 3 and outs. Raridon from Iowa played LG on 2nd team - not impressed. Looked lost on a lot of plays missing blocks.

Watched replay of nebby spring game. 2nd string moved the ball at ease against 1st team D. 1st offense didn’t show much against 2nd team D. Lots of passes - will make it hard on D with 3 and outs. Raridon from Iowa played LG on 2nd team - not impressed. Looked lost on a lot of plays missing blocks.
Lol, Neb football.

A bit late to this thread but since i was having trouble falling asleep last night i decided to checkout their spring game on youtube. Perhaps your interpretation is correct but i was still impressed that their brand new offense personnel seemed to work cohesively after just 15 practices. Regardless of whether or not their D is legit, their entire offense seems to be in mid-season form and that's something to concede.

Every Big Ten team has done this.

Too soon?

Wisconsin: 13 starters returning (9 on offense and 4 on defense although some of their defenders have some starts under their belt) 44 returning letterwinners which isn't a huge number. Their weakness appears to be on the back end of their defense. The offense could be elite if Hornibrook takes a step forward in his development.

Iowa: 13 starters returning (7 on offense and 6 on defense) 45 letterwinners returning.

Northwestern: 13 starters returning (6 on offense and 7 on defense- this number is without Thorson who suffered an ACL injury) 61 letterwinners returning. Defense should be good like it usually is but the QB and RB positions are a question mark.

Nebraska: 14 starters returning ( 6 on offense and 8 on defense) 52 lettterwinners returning which is the second highest in the west but their defense was horrible and they are running a totally new offense.

Purdue: 13 starters returning (9 on offense and only 4 on defense) 53 letterwinners returning. Their defense was much improve last year but it had a lot of veterans. They will probably have to win shoot outs this year.

Minnesota: 11 starters returning (5 on offense and 6 on defense) Only 40 letterwinners returning. Doesn't look promising for Fleck this year. It will probably be their second straight year without a bowl game.

Illinois: 14 starters returning (7 on offense and 7 on defense) and 41 letterwinners returning. Don't really see things improving for Lovie at illinois, although they may be better than Minnesota this year.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
There was a pretty big gap between Iowa and Wisconsin last year. I'm not sure we can close that gap this quickly but we are at home. That game will decide the West and will define our season.

Iowa Wisconsin last year was an anamoly - not this year - we were way better than that game last year showed

It looks like a competition between Wisconsin and Iowa. Still, experience tells me not to count out NU. Fitz is a very good coach, his players are very well coached. He's a good recruiter too, he might get the smartest 3*s you can find who also play outstanding football.

My prediction is:

1. Iowa- looks like a very good team
2. Wisconsin- smash-mouth game will decide it
3. Northwestern- if they don't win it they can spoil it
4. Purdue- on an upward trend with a good coach
5. Minnesota- Fleck will be coaching in the MAC
6. Nebraska- a lot more enthusiasm than linemen
7. Illinois- Lovie coached the Bears, what's new?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Lights out as a player? I remember many of husker fans crying for Frankie London to start during his playing days. And as a coach, the guy has not proven himself at the P5 level yet. I suspect when going against the B1G dogs this season he reverts back to his closet hiding days...[/QUOTE]
Lol you don’t remember that. There was an article about that somewhere. Might have been a UCF homer article trying to convince people there was a chance Scott might stay there. That’s the only reason you “remember” it.

I predict the offense is going to have to bail out the defense in a few games, and after 17 of 19 season of the defense pulling the weight that's ok.

C
It looks like a competition between Wisconsin and Iowa. Still, experience tells me not to count out NU. Fitz is a very good coach, his players are very well coached. He's a good recruiter too, he might get the smartest 3*s you can find who also play outstanding football.

My prediction is:

1. Iowa- looks like a very good team
2. Wisconsin- smash-mouth game will decide it
3. Northwestern- if they don't win it they can spoil it
4. Purdue- on an upward trend with a good coach
5. Minnesota- Fleck will be coaching in the MAC
6. Nebraska- a lot more enthusiasm than linemen
7. Illinois- Lovie coached the Bears, what's new?
Completely agree with this if I can flip Neb & Ill for last place. I think Scott Flop pulls off a sneaky miracle last place finish in the West/overall B1G.

Wisconsin: 13 starters returning (9 on offense and 4 on defense although some of their defenders have some starts under their belt) 44 returning letterwinners which isn't a huge number. Their weakness appears to be on the back end of their defense. The offense could be elite if Hornibrook takes a step forward in his development.

Iowa: 13 starters returning (7 on offense and 6 on defense) 45 letterwinners returning.

Northwestern: 13 starters returning (6 on offense and 7 on defense- this number is without Thorson who suffered an ACL injury) 61 letterwinners returning. Defense should be good like it usually is but the QB and RB positions are a question mark.

Nebraska: 14 starters returning ( 6 on offense and 8 on defense) 52 lettterwinners returning which is the second highest in the west but their defense was horrible and they are running a totally new offense.

Purdue: 13 starters returning (9 on offense and only 4 on defense) 53 letterwinners returning. Their defense was much improve last year but it had a lot of veterans. They will probably have to win shoot outs this year.

Minnesota: 11 starters returning (5 on offense and 6 on defense) Only 40 letterwinners returning. Doesn't look promising for Fleck this year. It will probably be their second straight year without a bowl game.

Illinois: 14 starters returning (7 on offense and 7 on defense) and 41 letterwinners returning. Don't really see things improving for Lovie at illinois, although they may be better than Minnesota this year.
I wish Neb had 22 returning starters.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Lol you don’t remember that. There was an article about that somewhere. Might have been a UCF homer article trying to convince people there was a chance Scott might stay there. That’s the only reason you “remember” it.
I'm from the Omaha area and grew up just south of council bluffs. Don't tell me what I remember numbnuts[/QUOTE]

The defensive scheme was horrible under Diaco no doubt.

But there is a lot of talent on the DL and at LB. More importantly they have good depth on the DL. There is plenty for Chinander to work with talent-wise, especially with the high level recruits coming in the fall. NU has talented safeties with speed but the concern is lack of depth at DB. With an aggressive defensive scheme, very similar to Wisconsin, I would expect to see much improvement.

Plus a productive offensive will only help the defense. Almost goes without saying that offensive production was horrible last year.

The defensive scheme was horrible under Diaco no doubt.

But there is a lot of talent on the DL and at LB. More importantly they have good depth on the DL. There is plenty for Chinander to work with talent-wise, especially with the high level recruits coming in the fall. NU has talented safeties with speed but the concern is lack of depth at DB. With an aggressive defensive scheme, very similar to Wisconsin, I would expect to see much improvement.

Plus a productive offensive will only help the defense. Almost goes without saying that offensive production was horrible last year.
Talent at LB? I've been living in Lincoln for a while now ... the last time I saw good linebacker play by the Huskers was by Lavonte David. The recruiting at LB might have been okay ... but player development at LB was be sub-par at best. On top of that, the Husker D will be contending with having their 3rd DC in 3 years ... if that doesn't get your head spinning, little will.

I agree that the Huskers have good talent on the DL. However, with a 3-man front ... frankly they're more loaded on the DL than they need to be. Furthermore, some of their DL talent still might be better suited for a 4-man front. The Husker secondary showed some signs of life last year. However, if memory serves, they also lost some guys to graduation too. Probably a mixed bag there ...

For whatever reason, Diaco threw his Husker players under the bus last year ... really not a cool move on his part. It was like he cared more about trying to protect his career than actually teaching the players. Again, not a good sign on his part ... even though he's a former Hawk, I wouldn't want him on my staff (until he returns to placing his players first).

What Chinander brings to the table appears to be a little bit of a mixed bag. He seems like a quality coach ... though he's admittedly not terrible experienced at the DC position. Furthermore, those UCF Ds still gave up A LOT of points. They went undefeated and still were ranked #93 in yards allowed per game and #53 in points allowed per game.

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3t. Nebraska
3t. Northwestern
3t. Purdue
6. Minnesota
7. Illinios

Here's my crack at it. I don't see Illinois climbing out of the cellar just yet. Wisconsin is the class of the division until someone proves otherwise. Iowa has a solid team returning and a favorable schedule. I think Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue will knock each other around.......I could see Purdue battling for second in the division. Huskers will be more competitive but are a year or two away from truly competing for the top of the division, hoping they can get to a bowl with a difficult schedule. Minnesota I feel will take a step back and for the same gut feeling I have about Purdue rising in the standings I have the opposite feeling about Northwestern slipping.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT