ADVERTISEMENT

Bohannon update....

tenor.gif

Somehow need to Photoshop Dillard's head on to Miyagi's.

A few years back Naz Long did the exact same thing for Iowa State. Played ten in pain and shut it down....it was basically to bridge the gap until Burton became eligible at semester.

Anyway, at first I was wondering why Jordan would play at all but it makes sense to me now. He's basically bridging the gap until Joe T get's up to speed. Help steal a couple early season W's. We don't beat TTech without him. Give time for Joe T and a lesser degree Fredrick to develop and be ready for the B1G.

Hopefully Jordan catches fire in his last game in Hilton and then shuts it down.

Just responding to the bold text above. As stated above, I believe Naz played in 8 games and Iowa was the 8th game, not the 10th. I believe ISU will be Iowa's 11th game, so Jordan had to sit a game (which he did) to be able to play the ISU game. That difference is what has people speculating. Both were within the defined rules so I have no problem with it (as if anyone would care if I did!)

Just responding to the bold text above. As stated above, I believe Naz played in 8 games and Iowa was the 8th game, not the 10th. I believe ISU will be Iowa's 11th game, so Jordan had to sit a game (which he did) to be able to play the ISU game. That difference is what has people speculating. Both were within the defined rules so I have no problem with it (as if anyone would care if I did!)
If the plan was to play ten no reason to play in the Cal Poly game.

Naz shut it down immediately after the Iowa game by the way

Use some logic. That would not explain his efficiency rating last year.

The magic efficiency number--yeah that makes Connor all B1G. He is a 7.1 ppg scorer and his best shot is a fade away jumper in the lane. You don't want your PG who has the ball in in hands most, to be a non-scoring threat. Playing PG, Teams back off Connor to play passing lanes because he is not a a good 3pt shooter and he is not super quick compared to Pgs that guard him, so he can't beat guys off the dribble. Connor is a role player, not a star. Fredrick and JoeW and Garza on other hand...those guys are difference makers and the guys that are difficult to find on recruiting trail.

I look for JBo to sit out MI (which I think we stand little chance of winning) and then play against MN, @ ISU, and Cinn in Chicago. The latter 3 winnable games, the first one - not really.

He has played in 7 games, he has 10 to play and should put him in a position of compliance with the medical hardship waiver.

I haven’t heard anything about tonight, but I would actually think he might skip/sit the Cincy game and want to play vs Mich, Minny, ISU. Two conference games and ISU. If the goal is playing in as many key games before shutting it down.

Naz could have played a game or two more but chose to shut it down after the Iowa game.

There are Clone fans saying that he was playing only to bridge the gap until Burton became eligible and others saying he had no idea he was going to shut down until right after the Iowa game. Both cant be true.

Naz didnt play the game after Iowa and Burton wasnt eligible for that game either.

Reactions: owenhawk
Connor has been more efficient because he's NOT playing PG when JBO and JoeT are in the game. He's a distributor/role player guy. He still can't hit a 3pt shot at better than 31% clip and he can't drive by any P5 PG because he is too slow. HE's doing pretty well as a 2nd PG in 3 or 4 guard system and getting some inside fadeaways/drives vs bigger/slower players.
He is playing well, give it a rest. He doesn't need to be a scorer with CJF, Garza, JB, and Joe W. He doesn't, he is a good role player. The other parts of his game are coming along fine.

I look for JBo to sit out MI (which I think we stand little chance of winning) and then play against MN, @ ISU, and Cinn in Chicago. The latter 3 winnable games, the first one - not really.

He has played in 7 games, he has 10 to play and should put him in a position of compliance with the medical hardship waiver.

I haven’t heard anything about tonight, but I would actually think he might skip/sit the Cincy game and want to play vs Mich, Minny, ISU. Two conference games and ISU. If the goal is playing in as many key games before shutting it down.

I can certainly that scenario playing out. In fact, that's the more likely scenario. I personally would like him for the more winnable Cinn game than @ MI tonight though.

Naz could have played a game or two more but chose to shut it down after the Iowa game.

There are Clone fans saying that he was playing only to bridge the gap until Burton became eligible and others saying he had no idea he was going to shut down until right after the Iowa game. Both cant be true.

Naz didnt play the game after Iowa and Burton wasnt eligible for that game either.

Understood Tcool. I was thinking he was only allowed to play 8, but I could be wrong. Clearly, the Iowa State vs. Iowa game is important to both teams. It is not a conference game, so doesn't have that impact, but non-the-less is still a rivalry game for both teams as fans live in close proximity (I have kids that are students at both schools, one a club athlete at Iowa) and likely ramped up in basketball with the recent Foster recruitment. I was mainly responding to say the superbowl commentary is used (both ways) to get under other's skin making it sound like the game is more important to one school versus the other, when it is clearly a rivalry game for both schools.

He is playing well, give it a rest. He doesn't need to be a scorer with CJF, Garza, JB, and Joe W. He doesn't, he is a good role player. The other parts of his game are coming along fine.

Also something to note. Keep an eye on how many “stars” on the Iowa team insist on giving Connor the ball back with the shot clock under five seconds. It’s truly baffling. CM gets rid of the ball late in the shot clock, only to get it back with under five seconds left. You’d think the “stars” would rather create or take a shot than putting the back into the hands of a “role” player who doesn’t shoot well and can’t create.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
Also something to note. Keep an eye on how many “stars” on the Iowa team insist on giving Connor the ball back with the shot clock under five seconds. It’s truly baffling. CM gets rid of the ball late in the shot clock, only to get it back with under five seconds left. You’d think the “stars” would rather create or take a shot than putting the back into the hands of a “role” player who doesn’t shoot well and can’t create.

Drove me crazy last season. Moss was really bad at doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
Reminds me of how Gesell ended up taking a lot of last second shots instead of Marble, White, Jok or Uthoff.

The magic efficiency number--yeah that makes Connor all B1G. He is a 7.1 ppg scorer and his best shot is a fade away jumper in the lane. You don't want your PG who has the ball in in hands most, to be a non-scoring threat. Playing PG, Teams back off Connor to play passing lanes because he is not a a good 3pt shooter and he is not super quick compared to Pgs that guard him, so he can't beat guys off the dribble. Connor is a role player, not a star. Fredrick and JoeW and Garza on other hand...those guys are difference makers and the guys that are difficult to find on recruiting trail.

You don't need your point guard to be a major scoring threat if he does other things very well. Defend, rebound, playmaker, assists, leadership, etc....

Here is a Point Guard from back in early 90's for reference.

Freshman year played 30 games with no starts, did average 8.0 ppg that year.
Sophomore yr. started 22 of 28 games averaged 7.2 ppg
Junior yr started 14 of 17 games and averaged 7.8 ppg
Senior yr started 16 of 16 games and averaged 10.5 ppg

He also was a two sport star in fact won the Heisman trophy yet with those putrid scoring numbers played in the NBA.

No.... I'm not comparing Connor to Charlie Ward as a player, but too much is often given to scoring averages. I'm happy if Connor keeps looking for his shot and works on improving his percentages (some of that is shot selection). The game as Syracuse was a good example of some shots Connor was forced to take because other guys turned down shots late in the clock. (Joe W. in particular, one I'd rather see force something late in the clock than throw it back to Connor to throw up a late shot)

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Yeah, I've noticed. I think he's had 3 air balls because of it.

I believe, based on my interpretation of the medical hardship rule, that he can play 30% or 9.3 games (based on a my earlier calculation I did about a month ago, I don't feel like validating again) so they must round up to 10 games. That is what the number of games coming from the IA camp. Furthermore, he can only play in the first half of the season which puts it into January as I recall (again, based on my recollection from the assessment I did about a month ago).

All that tells me he skips MI and plays MN, ISU, Cinn. This statement being total conjecture on my part mind you.

I believe the 30% rule rounds down, BUT it does include postseason (I believe the language of the bylaw states "not more than 30%" which is why I suspect it is rounded down). So if we were to get multiple games in the BTT and NCAAs/NIT it would increase the threshold (it would also be risky to bank on said extra games).

Reactions: skydog0784
I believe the 30% rule rounds down, BUT it does include postseason (I believe the language of the bylaw states "not more than 30%" which is why I suspect it is rounded down). So if we were to get multiple games in the BTT and NCAAs/NIT it would increase the threshold (it would also be risky to bank on said extra games).
Does it include post-season? I was under the impression it would include one game for the conference tournament, because that's a given, but didn't include any additional games the team might qualify to play.

I neither know nor care one way or the other, but that seems to be what I heard in the past. And it makes sense. A medical redshirt is supposed to be for an injury that precludes a player from participating. Frankly, once the injury has occurred, the player shouldn't play any games at all. The idea is to compensate the player for a season-ending injury that occurs early in the year. But in practice it hasn't been used/interpreted that way.

If you stop to think about the post-season factor, it reinforces the idea that it doesn't count. Suppose Bohannan plays his 10 games or whatever, then packs it in....but the Hawks win the CC and get to the Sweet Sixteen. That would be enough games to make his quota greater. Could he then come out of "retirement" and play?

Reactions: skydog0784
Per the NCAA bylaws:

In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations

From the bolded excerpts, I believe that this means that any post season contests do count when calculating the 30%. However, because the student athlete cannot play after the midway point of the season, he could not play in postseason games.

Found an additional bylaw that confirms that postseason is included in the 30% calculation:

12.8.4.2.6.1.1 Team Sports. The denominator in the institution's percent calculation shall be based on the institution's number of scheduled or completed varsity contests or dates of competition [see Bylaw 12.8.4(c)] as computed for playing and practice season purposes in Bylaw 17 for the applicable sport. [Note: Exempted events in Bylaw 17 are included in the percent calculation, except as provided in Bylaw 12.8.4-(c).] An institution participating in a single-elimination event may only count the actual contests in which the institution participates (as opposed to the number of contests scheduled in the event) in determining the number of scheduled or completed contests in the denominator.

Reactions: Lone Clone

One game gap again't a crappy team.

the rule never used to include postseason. It was scheduled games.

JBo better shut it down after Iowa State. Assuming Joe W returns next year, the 2020-2021 Hawks team will be one for the ages.

Reactions: The_Gent
When it has become too painful for
Bohannon to practice with the team,
then it is time for him to stop playing
in games and give his body a chance
to heal under normal conditions.

Bottom Line: After the Iowa State game
he should his season.

Iowa basketball post ISU game and then 2020-2021

Post ISU: (Better hope we don't have any further injuries or too much foul trouble - we might need to borrow some Football players after the Bowl game)

F/C-Garza / Kriener / Pemsl
G/F-CMac / Till
G-Wieskamp / Evelyn
G-Fredrick / Evelyn
G-Toussaint / Evelyn

2020-21 (Garza is gone after this year from what I've heard from someone that knows Frank, so Iowa is gonna need another post in the spring (Grad Transfer or Juco?), or we're going to play small ball.

C-Ogundele / Pemsl / Grad Xfr-Juco???
F-Nunge / Keagan Murray / Pemsl / Till
G-Wieskamp / PMac / Kris Murray
G-Bohannon / Fredrick / Perkins
G-Toussaint / CMac / Ulis

Last edited:

Post ISU: (Better hope we don't have any further injuries or too much foul trouble - we might need to borrow some Football players after the Bowl game)

G/F-CMac / Till
G-Wieskamp / Evelyn
G-Fredrick / Evelyn
G-Toussaint / Evelyn

2020-21 (Garza is gone after this year from what I've heard from someone that knows Frank, so Iowa is gonna need another post in the spring (Grad Transfer or Juco?), or we're going to play small ball.

F-Keagan Murray / Pemsl / Till
You forgot Nunge.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
So, per the commentators last night, they do round up. I'll have to trust that they're more familiar with the rule in practice than I am, so 10 seems to be the number.

probably some genetic and just the enormous amount of wear and tear, especially in guards, from all those years of basketball. If i remember correctly Naz Long had the same surgery but think he had both hips done at the same time. Easy to say in hindsight but maybe JBo should have had both done.. Would suck to have the other one need the same surgery now.

my mistake, looked back Naz Long had one done then a month later had the other done, but basically at the same time.

JBo needs to make the decision that is right for him, both for this year and the future. With the recruits coming in, CJ and JoeT in their first year, and injuries, we probably need him more this year than next, but the decision should be his. I am sure that JBo and Fran know how many games he can play, before the decision has to be made.

Per other issues in the thread, I will very surprised if any players on the team turn pro after this year. Connor might actually be the most likely, and it wouldn't be in basketball.:)

G/F-CMac / Till
G-Wieskamp / Evelyn
G-Fredrick / Evelyn
G-Toussaint / Evelyn

F-Nunge / Keagan Murray / Pemsl / Till
Where does he think Garza is going? He most definitely won't be going to the NBA after this year and he doesn't appear to be a guy to grad transfer to a more successful program for his final year. Maybe they want to go back to their Croatian roots and watch him play ball overseas. Basically what I'm trying to say is I find it very very unlikely Garza leaves early.

I'm really concerned about Jordan. I hate to be a naysayer, but if his other hip is bad enough to also require surgery, I don't think it is guaranteed that he would ever return to the sport.
This. I think it may be optimistic, to think we'll see JBO ever be fully able to play pain free again. 21 or so is extremely earlier to be having these issues.

Where does he think Garza is going? He most definitely won't be going to the NBA after this year and he doesn't appear to be a guy to grad transfer to a more successful program for his final year. Maybe they want to go back to their Croatian roots and watch him play ball overseas. Basically what I'm trying to say is I find it very very unlikely Garza leaves early.
If he were to play at the level he is currently, for the rest of the year, he could certainly be a 1st or 2nd team AA. That being the case, he would certainly have to look at his options. Teske is considered to be a sure fire pro, and Luka dominated that game. I realize the NBA is a different game, but I don't agree with others who think that Garza won't end up in the league.

If he were to play at the level he is currently, for the rest of the year, he could certainly be a 1st or 2nd team AA. That being the case, he would certainly have to look at his options. Teske is considered to be a sure fire pro, and Luka dominated that game. I realize the NBA is a different game, but I don't agree with others who think that Garza won't end up in the league.
Teske is a nice player, but not NBA material. No draft site even lists him in the top 100. He can be a pro overseas, but not in the NBA.

Valid point about the numbers making a case but it all comes down to measurables from the combine with him IMO. I agree he could end up in the league but to what extent? If his numbers continue I guess I do see it would make most sense to enter the draft now and go for it because his stock probably can’t get any higher than it would be after this season. I’m trying to think of a current/recent NBA player he compares to. Hard to envision how he turns out in today’s NBA.

No knock on Garza but come on. No way he is quick enough for the NBA. He isn't 7+ feet to get away with it. Dude will go down as one of the best big men Iowa has ever had after his final year but the pro game is much much faster and running up and down the court will be a lot tougher/quicker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT