ADVERTISEMENT

Bollers

How bout mostly controlled if it really makes you feel better. Lol. Stick to your stat sheet reading.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

It was definitely Russell that turned the game around late. We had no answer for him on D and his passing was incredible. We have a history of getting it handed to us by some 3rd string skill player who plays lights out in a bowl game. Cough cough...Jacque Robinson....cough cough. No one ever heard of that guy again and Russell ate his way out of an NFL career.

Reactions: grayhair81
Just read an article on all hawkeye that didn’t sound promising. Not that my hopes were ever up really, but sounds like he isn’t feeling the love from Iowa. Maybe they have gotten the vibe he’s going elsewhere no matter what we do and have decided to use their resources elsewhere

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Just read an article on all hawkeye that didn’t sound promising. Not that my hopes were ever up really, but sounds like he isn’t feeling the love from Iowa. Maybe they have gotten the vibe he’s going elsewhere no matter what we do and have decided to use their resources elsewhere

He isn't feeling love from Iowa? I am guessing he'd feel the love if he actually was interested in going there potentially.

He isn't feeling love from Iowa? I am guessing he'd feel the love if he actually was interested in going there potentially.

Exactly. When you come out with a list of top 3, Iowa isn’t on it, you’re a legacy, and yet you put Terrible programs like Nebby and Iowa St on the list expect Iowa coaches to move on. You’re not a good fit and not worth their time and effort.

Bollers has complained about his position at Iowa, has actively sought to nationalize his recruiting, and then the cherry on top is his comments about not receiving enough love on the recruiting trail. I’m really glad at this point that the coaches decided not to waste their time on him TBH, because frankly he’s not a culture fit at Iowa. I wish him the best of luck elsewhere. If his heart is set on Bama though, hoo boy he’s gonna have to get that ego under control because it’s Nick’s way or the highway even if you end up being a 5 star.

oh, and it was actually 24-12. Take out the fluke play at the end of the half and it is 24-6. Yes, Iowa controlled that game.
Yep - the game had no biz being that close. I was there, and it was a thrilling finish, but it didn’t need to b that way.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
At Iowa you get to play almost right away. At Alabama maybe he'll get a shot by his junior year. He'll be on the portal list after two years and back at UNI in three years. Good luck.

Good Lord is this about Bollers or what? There's like three different Forum conversations going on here, did we out play LSU, is Nick Saban a cheater and what about TJ Bollers. Lol okay so I'm going to chime in on all three...yes, yes and who cares unless he chooses Iowa. I'd rather the kid end up at Bama then Little Debbie, ISU or Wisconsin.

Agreed. It’s a great thing having all of these schools after you, but it’s also stressful as hell for the recruit.

Yes multiple things can be true at the same time. Folks talking about Bollers "bad attitude," come on. If Stanford is poking around and at least considering offering (I don't know, they may have already), doesn't indicate he's smart and a serious student? I mean seriously.

And can't it also be true that the Iowa staff is smart enough to know when a player isn't really considering them? And if so, to spend less time on that player? It doesn't mean they haven't tried, and it doesn't mean that Bollers is a bad guy or a prima donna or whatever. He has national offers from all over, best of luck to him wherever he goes, except when his team plays Iowa.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Kinnick - I agree I don’t think Bama cheats or at least not any more than anyone else. Like Duke basketball. The program recruits itself. On Bollers, best of luck to him. I guess I can do without the “not feeling enough love” stuff as it generally makes him sound self-centered and needy. But I don’t know the kid or his family so trust others that do so surely not going to judge him as a person. Anyway, much rather have him at Bama or Stanford than Nebbie or Wisconsin. Don’t care about ISU as if he goes there well that would explain a lot and all ISU fans would brag about for the next 5 years even if they throw out another 3-17 “bear” record against big brother.

So let me get this straight. Bollers put out a list that his top three are Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa State and then chastises the Iowa coaches for not getting to his basketball game and showing him love. Even after said basketball game was cancelled because of weather and now we are in a dead period. Please move on!

It is pretty easy to see that Bollers wants to get out of town- some kids just want to go to school somewhere different than they grew up. Does it suck if Iowa doesnt land him- of course it does but it is going to happen from time to time.

So much for it being about being about a better education (Stanford).

While not quite Stanford, Alabama is a great school. One of the best in the south, in many academic departments. Every bit as good as Iowa or Michigan. He’d be fine.

he didn't go any higher in the NFL draft by going there though.
It's ALSO about college experiences i.e. playing in big, meaningful games with gigantic crowds looking on; winning your division, winning your conference, making the playoff and having an opportunity to be remembered. He accomplished all those things AND THEN got drafted. Winner winner.

If Iowa isn't in his top 3, then why would TJ care what the Iowa coaching staff does or not? That sends a very clear message to the Iowa program to drop his recruitment. Message received, loud and clear. I'm glad our staff has moved on and are allocating our limited resources towards other recruits who are actually considering us. Buh bye Bollers.

Reactions: MitchLL
He's a great kid from a great family. It's funny watching some grown men judge a person's character based solely on his current college recruiting commentary.
Even a "good kid" can be immature. Even a good kid can make questionable decisions or have underinformed views. Thus, I'd contend that it's perfectly fair to suggest that Bollers isn't a great fit for Iowa ... although Iowa could be a great fit for Bollers ... and that has NOTHING to do with him being a bad or good kid.

It's a simple matter of record that he's attempted to become a national recruit (as opposed to a local recruit). This makes sense given that it sounds like he wants to ideally be offered by Stanford ... he's less likely to get that offer if he remains a local recruit.

It's also a simple matter of record that he perceives playing as an OLB in a 3-4 as the best fit for his skill set. This view is woefully misinformed. If you're an excellent player in his situation ... the scheme matters far less than football IQ, fundamentals, and execution. We're not talking about an extreme like a passing QB getting stuck in an O executing the wing T.

Lastly, there have been many remarks from Bollers about the relative lack of attention from Iowa. This explicitly points to him expecting more attention from them. However, if he expects more attention ... he needs to realize that it's a two-way street. Furthermore, he's remarked about the amount of love demonstrated by numerous programs. While recruiting CAN be a very stressful time for a recruit ... it can also be a very "heady" time too. As a young elite athlete ... you're already acclimated to being treated like the big man on campus (albeit a high school campus) ... but now a lot of coaches around the nation are stroking your ego and making you feel very "wanted."

Hopefully it's clear how even a "good kid" could very easily get caught up in his own recruitment ... and that obviously doesn't make him a bad kid either.

However, it also makes it more understandable how and why the Hawks aren't concentrating their recruiting attention on him. I'm sure that the Iowa coaches would love for Bollers to be a Hawk ... but he needs to demonstrate that he wants to be a Hawk.

What am I missing with Bollers? Wants to be in a 3-4 and prefers LB instead of D-end but runs a 5 second 40. A bit slow for a rushing LB. Actually a bit slow for a d-end also. Can’t teach speed and he don’t have it.
I agree. I watched the Clear Creek vs Mount Pleasant game and fully expected to see Bollers dominate but he really wasn't much of a factor.

Can't blame a kid if he wants to try for some titles. Piersbacher did. He didn't get drafted any higher by going to 'Bama but he played in a crap ton of title games.
Even a "good kid" can be immature. Even a good kid can make questionable decisions or have underinformed views. Thus, I'd contend that it's perfectly fair to suggest that Bollers isn't a great fit for Iowa ... although Iowa could be a great fit for Bollers ... and that has NOTHING to do with him being a bad or good kid.

It's a simple matter of record that he's attempted to become a national recruit (as opposed to a local recruit). This makes sense given that it sounds like he wants to ideally be offered by Stanford ... he's less likely to get that offer if he remains a local recruit.

It's also a simple matter of record that he perceives playing as an OLB in a 3-4 as the best fit for his skill set. This view is woefully misinformed. If you're an excellent player in his situation ... the scheme matters far less than football IQ, fundamentals, and execution. We're not talking about an extreme like a passing QB getting stuck in an O executing the wing T.

Lastly, there have been many remarks from Bollers about the relative lack of attention from Iowa. This explicitly points to him expecting more attention from them. However, if he expects more attention ... he needs to realize that it's a two-way street. Furthermore, he's remarked about the amount of love demonstrated by numerous programs. While recruiting CAN be a very stressful time for a recruit ... it can also be a very "heady" time too. As a young elite athlete ... you're already acclimated to being treated like the big man on campus (albeit a high school campus) ... but now a lot of coaches around the nation are stroking your ego and making you feel very "wanted."

Hopefully it's clear how even a "good kid" could very easily get caught up in his own recruitment ... and that obviously doesn't make him a bad kid either.

However, it also makes it more understandable how and why the Hawks aren't concentrating their recruiting attention on him. I'm sure that the Iowa coaches would love for Bollers to be a Hawk ... but he needs to demonstrate that he wants to be a Hawk.
In my opinion, the staff should most certainly somewhat "stroke the ego" of the higher-caliber recruits (Bollers).

I don't see an issue with Bollers seeking to be a "national recruit" and in fact, I think it would be a good look for our program to stick with his recruitment throughout and then land him in the end.

he didn't go any higher in the NFL draft by going there though.
Why the f*ck does that matter? Maybe he wanted to be a part of the number one program. Maybe he wanted to challenge himself to see if he could make an impact for the number one program. Maybe Bama had a major he wanted. Maybe he liked the weather. Maybe the girls were hotter there.

How about everybody just take a step back and realize you don't know a thing about these kids and what they're looking for. As someone said earlier, the recruiting process is a grind for these kids who are only 17 and 18 years old. Bollers said Iowa wasn't giving him love. So what!! Maybe he was a little stressed out that day. Maybe he was misquoted, or said it and instantly regretted it. Maybe he meant it. Who knows and frankly who gives a sh*t.

Stop trying to over analyze everything. You clowns out there downplaying this just stop. If the head coach of the number one program in the nation is interested in you you're going to be excited and rightfully so. Most of you would get a boner if Kirk Ferentz winked at you. But I'm not judging...;)

Reactions: pink shizzle
While not quite Stanford, Alabama is a great school. One of the best in the south, in many academic departments. Every bit as good as Iowa or Michigan. He’d be fine.
In most departments not as good as Iowa and not close to Michigan and light years from Stanford..
I also was referring to previous chatter how he was considering Stanford due to academics.

Reactions: Garbaggio
It's ALSO about college experiences i.e. playing in big, meaningful games with gigantic crowds looking on; winning your division, winning your conference, making the playoff and having an opportunity to be remembered. He accomplished all those things AND THEN got drafted. Winner winner.

eh, give me Scherf or Yanda. You think they give two shits about being part of a Bama fraternity? I bet not. Iowa boys and they take pride in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT