ADVERTISEMENT

Bowls are stupid

A lot of these bowls have had less than 50% attendance. Wonder what the tv viewership has been? I could see a few years into the new playoff where bowls just go away or are greatly reduced. Not a lot of stock in them anymore. I would rather spend the money on better vacations. Used to go to every Iowa bowl game. After the Rose Bowl blowout that was my final one.

I’m in favor of the bowl games as it gives me one more chance to watch Iowa play. Sure, they don’t have the same cache they used to, and with next year’s expanded playoffs they’ll be likely further diminished in stature. Perhaps I’m in the minority here, but I’ll always vote for another Iowa game. A person can always not watch if the mere thought of a bowl game in 2023 is an anathema to them. It is certainly the popular position to take, which is important to many - that’s why it’s popular.

Yes you're right. Totally competitive, well attended games. My bad. Derp.
Yep, most of the games have been competitive and interesting. Just like anything, there are exceptions.

The NFL features the best football players in the world with the most fans and the most money, yet there will be some playoff games this year just like every year. Hell, most of the recent Super Bowls have not been great.

Still a horrendous take. Who in the hell doesn't want more football? So weird.

I’m in favor of the bowl games as it gives me one more chance to watch Iowa play. Sure, they don’t have the same cache they used to, and with next year’s expanded playoffs they’ll be likely further diminished in stature. Perhaps I’m in the minority here, but I’ll always vote for another Iowa game. A person can always not watch if the mere thought of a bowl game in 2023 is an anathema to them. It is certainly the popular position to take, which is important to many - that’s why it’s popular.
I've been wanting the playoffs to come to the FBS for years. I'm very much looking forward to the new format. However, I'm also not opposed to the bowl games. I don't really care about them. I won't feel a great loss if they go away. But I also don't care if they keep chugging along. Watch or don't watch, whatever floats your boat. The bowls will continue as long as there is financial support for them. That's the bottom line.

Starters no longer play.
Others are in the portal and don't give a shit.
Why do they exist?

Look at fsu. Ugh.
Man, you sure get upset about some games at the end of the year.

All the early bowl games and the ones that followed were started to get exposure for those cities and locales, bring money into those areas, maybe get growth. The games are just vehicles to get people to go to these mostly warm weather cities.

There is so much wealth in this country who cares if the sponsors keep these games afloat.

Reactions: bojihawk44
As long as bowl games are profitable and schools send their teams, they will continue to exist.

Yes, IMO bowls are for the most part meaningless and will become less important with playoff extension.

Bowl games have always been meaningless with the exception of a couple. Fans still want to watch their team in a bowl games. And college football fans as a whole continue to watch bowl games.

Most, with exception of some exist to give northern people a trip to somewhere warm. If not warm just a holiday vacation. They (bowls) will survive as long as money is involved.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Divide FBS into two tiers both with their own 16 team playoff.
Upper tier 32 teams, each tied to NFL franchise. Players paid. Salary cap for the 32 programs. Cut the charade of “student athlete” and forcing those not interested into bogus degree programs. Offer college courses at discount rates for the players seriously interested in earning college credit. Those not enrolled in classes have a few mandatory “life skills” classes (personal finance, etc.). Players are drafted, not recruited and are subject to trades. Draft rules established similar to NFL (draft order based on inverse order of finish) to avoid permanent stratification of teams and facilitate upward/downward mobility. Teams can draft directly out of high school or from lower tier programs.

Lower tier is remaining 101 teams. Players on scholarship along with stipend paid by University based on total revenue shared among the tier. No NIL. Traditional transfer rules apply. Players are recruited not drafted. Emphasis for programs is on evaluation of potential in high school along with development while in program. Players must meet legitimate academic standards to continue to compete, but can leave at any time if drafted into either upper tier or NFL.

Upper tier 32 teams, each tied to NFL franchise. Players paid. Salary cap for the 32 programs. Cut the charade of “student athlete” and forcing those not interested into bogus degree programs. Offer college courses at discount rates for the players seriously interested in earning college credit. Those not enrolled in classes have a few mandatory “life skills” classes (personal finance, etc.). Players are drafted, not recruited and are subject to trades. Draft rules established similar to NFL (draft order based on inverse order of finish) to avoid permanent stratification of teams and facilitate upward/downward mobility. Teams can draft directly out of high school or from lower tier programs.

Lower tier is remaining 101 teams. Players on scholarship along with stipend paid by University based on total revenue shared among the tier. No NIL. Traditional transfer rules apply. Players are recruited not drafted. Emphasis for programs is on evaluation of potential in high school along with development while in program. Players must meet legitimate academic standards to continue to compete, but can leave at any time if drafted into either upper tier or NFL.
Won’t be the top 32 teams.

Makes sense for Vikings to have their team be the Gophers. Utilize the Vikings facility.

And so on…..

My hope is the expanded playoff will actually allow non-traditional top 8 programs to have access to the media/coverage echo chamber that has essentially kept the same top teams in the annual playoff conversation. Having only 4 teams…3% of teams…make the playoff has been so stupid and really only allows for 8-10 teams each year to have a real shot (and get the constant momentum to keep the recruiting and NIL factory going). Going to 12 teams only expands that to 9% of D1 schools but will gradually open the conversation to many more programs and hopefully start to spread out the talent in a way that can balance NIL, etc.

Keeping the bowls for teams not making the playoff makes sense to me as it will let them try out new roster moves, incentivize play time competition, and reward programs for good, but not great, seasons.

But a bowl win essentially will mean very, very little other than a way to get another W in the column. Like going from 9 to 10 wins is a big deal, and for the Hawks, getting to 11 this year would be great!

Won’t be the top 32 teams.

Makes sense for Vikings to have their team be the Gophers. Utilize the Vikings facility.

And so on…..
Yeah, I was literally just typing sh!t as it came to my mind waiting for takeout at Culver’s. Just a straw man idea.

The NFL tie seemed to make some sense, but you bring up a great point which is at the crux of the whole thing: how would that upper tier be determined (and who would determine it)? Like if there’s an NFL association, is BC in there for the Patriots? Does Boston College even WANT to be in that tier as a university?

There’s a whole lot of other unknowns in there as well. Like what does revenue distribution look like in that model? What would a lower tier TV contract look like? Would there be one?

One thing I would find attractive about this potential arrangement, assuming that Iowa would be in that second tier, is that I think we have a program that could be dominating on that playing field, where evaluation and development were the key, rather than loading up on 4 and 5 star kids every year.

But who knows what the future holds…

Yeah, I was literally just typing sh!t as it came to my mind waiting for takeout at Culver’s. Just a straw man idea.

The NFL tie seemed to make some sense, but you bring up a great point which is at the crux of the whole thing: how would that upper tier be determined (and who would determine it)? Like if there’s an NFL association, is BC in there for the Patriots? Does Boston College even WANT to be in that tier as a university?

There’s a whole lot of other unknowns in there as well. Like what does revenue distribution look like in that model? What would a lower tier TV contract look like? Would there be one?

One thing I would find attractive about this potential arrangement, assuming that Iowa would be in that second tier, is that I think we have a program that could be dominating on that playing field, where evaluation and development were the key, rather than loading up on 4 and 5 star kids every year.

But who knows what the future holds…
I think it's a great idea, broadly (at least in part because I've also suggested it before;)).
Lots of potential options to structure this. The devil is in the details.

The important outcome is having a relatively clear separation between true professional minor league teams and those that still maintain some semblance of college and actual amateur status as opposed to the pretense we have currently. I would expect, and hope, that Iowa would be part of the return to college and amateur status group.

Pretty sad. Even though NY6/BCS bowls weren’t for the natty it was still an amazing achievement and win for programs. Typically some really really fun games and matchups also. Now who cares with opt outs etc.

Starters no longer play.
Why do they exist?

Look at fsu. Ugh.
Future NIL contracts will have either a penalty clause if the player does not play, or escrow money to ensure they do.

Insurance to ensure they get paid if they get hurt.

Future NIL contracts will have either a penalty clause if the player does not play, or escrow money to ensure they do.

Insurance to ensure they get paid if they get hurt.
One hopes. More football is fine by me but college football has been ruined in my eyes.

One hopes. More football is fine by me but college football has been ruined in my eyes.
It's definitely a brave new world. I'm fine with changes, but none of these changes appear to be very well thought out; instead they seem to be purely reactionary to circumstances. Just another lesson that the people in charge aren't necessarily that wise or smart, they just ended up in charge and benefit wildly from it.

Starters no longer play.
Why do they exist?

Look at fsu. Ugh.
If you don't like them, don't watch them, pretty simple.

A heck of a lot of people are still watching and are interested in them. The FSU game is really the only one that has gone off the rails. OSU lost it's 2nd string QB otherwise they probably win, so that isn't a good example. Even when veteran players opt out the fans want to see what the younger guys have. The bottom line is more people have a different opinion than you and they are still making $$$.

Herbstreit just now on Gameday said to do away with bowls because they have become a joke.
Focus on the expanded playoff games.
Maybe have a few bowl games for higher end nonqualifiers.

He's right, you know!

I'm late to the party on bowl game sponors or titles.... But just realized it's not the Outback Bowl anymore. Sort of sad really. Reliaquest cyber security company sponsors now. Same ring to it, of course 😒

• Wow
Reactions: Iron Doc
Yep.
Look at the OSU.
And PSU. Both those teams came nowhere close to their rosters during the regular season. I believe the OSU true freshman QB (Kineholt sp?) - who played most of the game - only took a handful of meaningless snaps during the regular season late in decided games.

Next year's 12 team Playoffs will basically eliminate a ton of these worthless games. It's a different CF game today - it boils down to "show me the money." Really sad

Herbstreit just now on Gameday said to do away with bowls because they have become a joke.
Focus on the expanded playoff games.
Maybe have a few bowl games for higher end nonqualifiers.

He's right, you know!
I'm disappointed in his take. There is a heck of a lot more to college football than just the upper tier games. I'm not sure why he cares. When was the last time he had to watch a G5 game? The young men who play in G5 and for mid-tier P5 schools work just as hard and want to win for their teammates just as much as the elites, and they have a lot fewer "opt-outs" than the elite teams, who have way more players thinking about their NFL careers. It really bugs me that the face of college football just came out and said that those teams and players don't matter.

The one thing I do like about the expanded playoff is that there will be fewer opt-outs. As much as I enjoy bowl games in general, watching teams like Ohio St and Florida St looking like a shell of themselves, despite playing in premier bowl games that so many players would give their left nut to play in, is rather disheartening.

Edit - Oh, and you realize that when Herby is talking about doing away with the meaningless non-CFP bowl games, he's talking about Iowa most years, right?

Last edited:
Bowls are pretty meaningless now, but I still love vegging out on my couch just mindlessly watching bad college football.
I used to religiously watch the Bowl games in decades past but just have lost almost all interest in the ones outside of the CFP. PSU, OSU and FSU fielded teams whose rosters were decimated with the Transfer Portal and opt outs. Worthless game to watch.

Starters no longer play.
Why do they exist?

Look at fsu. Ugh.
There are plenty of rea$on$ why we have $o many bowl game$. No one i$ forcing you to watch the game$ if you don’t want to,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT